Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor | Neverwinter

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,850,300 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,651
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » General Discussion » What are the fundamental flaws with Warhammer online?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
28 posts found
  tom_gore

Novice Member

11/09/12 5:46:50 AM#21
Originally posted by Gorwe

YANK THE IP FROM DAMNED HANDS OF EVIL ARTS HERETICS!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE MADE ENOUGH MISTAKES n SLANDERS AGAINST OUR(YOUR) BELOVED IP!!!!

You only need to look at the current development of the tabletop game and the latest installation of their "role playing" game, made by FFG and you will realize GW no longers gives a flying f... about the IP as long as they get money from someone using it.

User Deleted
11/09/12 5:48:36 AM#22

I said to myself over and over again "This game has so much potential!" for two years. Then I got tired of repeating it and stoped playing.

A s**ty game with lots of potential is still a s**ty game.

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

11/09/12 6:08:11 AM#23
It's not like the warhammer ips are that original anyway. They massively rip off Michael moorcock and frank Herbert for a start.
  Loke666

Elite Member

11/09/12 6:21:22 AM#24
Originally posted by MMOExposed
What are the fundamental flaws with Warhammer online?

Well, Mythic could have remade DaoC instead, ot they could have made their own Wow (which also would have been a bad idea) but instead they licensed Warhammer and slapped Wows mechanics and a watered downed version of DaoCs RvR on it.

Big misstake. They should have translated Warhammer fantasy RPGs mechanics from scratch to a computer game instead. Because the IP have millions of fans, but those fans want a real Warhammer game.

The Wow fans they tried to steal (as a certain Brit said they would the week before release) already had Wow and loved that, no similar game will take them.

The DaoC fans wanted DaoC 2 and also got dissapointed. 

So as I see it the game was dead in the water since they started to make it. The solution to make a big MMO is to find your playerbase (Warhammer fans or DaoC fans) and give them what they want instead of just doing the same as everyone else and hope you get a piece of the cake.

I dont think anyone on Mythic even bothered to play the P&P RPG or even the tabletop, the only place in the game that feels right is Altdorf and just because Games workshop forced them to remake it right. Even with Wows mechanics they at minimum should not have taken away the feel of the world to make it more suitable for kids (or possibly Wow fans).

Loke666

Elite Member

11/09/12 6:26:47 AM#25
Originally posted by ShakyMo
It's not like the warhammer ips are that original anyway. They massively rip off Michael moorcock and frank Herbert for a start.

Not to mention Mary Shelley, Robert Howard and Fritz Leitner but that is really beside the point here. Warhammers world might be a mix of stuff stolen from different authors but it still have a very distinct feeling to it.

Anyone who played "The enemy within" know what I am talking about, it is about corruption, horror and really dark humor. A great world for RPGs actually.

At best Mythic got the feeling from the boardgame "Bloodbowl" right and that just aint enough for a MMORPG.

Clawzon

Apprentice Member

12/08/12 7:38:04 PM#26
Originally posted by Gorwe

Oh boy! Where do I start?

-misuse of IP has got to be their biggest sin. I mean you set your MMO in Warhammer, I repeat IN WARHAMMER and you fail??? WTF??? That brings me to next few points

-fail advertising. I only remember animated Slayer/Sorceress banner ads(and that only Like in a week of launch). I mean there are still Warhammer Fantasy Role Play(WHFRP) fans that do not know WAR even exists. LOL DOUBLE WTF??? Why in the nine blazes didn't they advertise WAR in White Dwarf/Hammer n Bolter??? Strange shit.

-several teams working on the same project. It went from team A to team B to team C and all had different design philosophies. That had big impact on quality of game.

-bickering within the studio. Just google EA Louse for insight.

-false propaganda. Aka Paul Barnett at his finest(LoL)

-Bad design. Like REALLY Bad. They actually thought that they could just shoehorn RvR in and it backfired(RvR wasn't part of the original game)

-deafness. Fans say we want A nerfed. They either: Buff A or blanket nerf A,B and E. Mythic at it's finest.

-stupidity. They actually thought that they could have a MMO without meaningful PvE. Kidding right??? Even EvE has got meaningful PvE(if that's what you are after)...

-fail animations/bugfest. Anyone that even tried EFT knows what I am talking about.

-fail launch. Let's be Real tho. WoW had WAAAY more worse launch and look where it ended. That brings me to my final point:

-they gave up on the damned game. It is visible left and right. This could have been easily the biggest MMO EVER if Mythic did not gave up on their MMO.

-1.40 catastrophe. Nuff said. The patch that inteoduced holier than thou sets(that you MUST BUY from the SHOP!!!!!) and made 80% content meaningless. They just needed to sort out lock ticks/timers and zone cntrl percentages and they used Scorched Earth tactic when they needed the Surgical Strike tactic. Typical of Mythic...

Only good things that have come out of WAR are(everything else is broken/bugged):

-Tome of Knowledge

-Public Quests

-Art

-Writing(I sincerely think that most are unavare of this last hidden gem)

My proposed sollution to Games Workshop:

YANK THE IP FROM DAMNED HANDS OF EVIL ARTS HERETICS!!!!!!!!!! THEY HAVE MADE ENOUGH MISTAKES n SLANDERS AGAINST OUR(YOUR) BELOVED IP!!!!

Very good post, agree with everything!  The highlighted from me: Don't forget about Jeff Hickman!!! Jeff was in SWTOR aswell...

:)

Tuktz

Novice Member

3/18/13 9:22:59 PM#27

Two things for me...

2 factions instead of 3

endless gear grind

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

Theodwulf

Advanced Member

3/19/13 5:02:12 AM#28
   The fundamental flaw is that nothing was thought out  to it's logical conclusion and the managment was taking advise from the worst possible sources. One could write a book on everything THEY did wrong, thus the fundamental flaw was poor managment. To fix this game one would have to start from scratch and rethink the entire game.
2 Pages « 1 2 Search