Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,787,394 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,344
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » So open beta just ended , your verdict is ?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
94 posts found
  eric_w66

Novice Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 1008

9/14/08 10:22:05 PM#61

Indeed.... AoC had extremely polished levels 1-20 PvE....

They just forgot to polish 21-80 ;)...

 

  damian7

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/20/06
Posts: 4514

why must i be nice to people that have no clue, are lying, or are just stupid?

9/15/08 4:13:37 AM#62
Originally posted by gorecki

As one of the posters on page 1 said...stale and boring.

Really crippled by boring "watch tv while you spam a button" combat, with poor animations and no real feeling of a fight.  Also, far too easy, no atmosphere of danger or challenge.  And, I really don't want to do a super-fast progression to 40 only to be stuck in battlegrounds (er, scenarios) and a few city raids.

WAR will hang on for quite a while though, because it really is the only major MMO since WoW to be reasonably attractive (largely b/c it borrows so much from WoW, though that may be unavoidable for any game now).  I think alot of these OMG BEST MMO EVER comments are a result of so many people being so starved for SOMETHING ELSE that doesn't suck completely.  I expect much of that to wear off in the coming year, since there is really little here to keep people around.

Overall, a 6/10 at best.  A good time-killer MMO for people who only have a few minutes a day to log on and beat on things.  A refinement of the "super-easy, super-fast" Western MMO paradigm.  It will be popular enough to ensure years of support and enhancements, so it is a good bet if you are really starved for something new.

Personally, I canceled my pre-order, as I had to really force myself to play it at all.


 

what EXACTLY does it borrow from wow?

or, are you just not in-the-know about how much wow has borrowed from warhammer (since the original warcraft) and ALL other MMOs?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

  damian7

Apprentice Member

Joined: 4/20/06
Posts: 4514

why must i be nice to people that have no clue, are lying, or are just stupid?

9/15/08 4:17:00 AM#63
Originally posted by Warblaze
Originally posted by wh0astar
Originally posted by Warblaze

Unfortunately, i didn't like it at all.   I experienced a lot of animation glitches, the graphics didn't look good at all (even on highest settings), the combat was clunky and boring, and apart from the big sights the maps were nothing to write home about, boring even.   I encountered places with more then 5 different mobs all sharing a small location on the map, which made me feel as if i was playing one of those free asian grinders. It just felt so... random.   If i must describe my experience with warhammer in one word it would be:  annoying.

 

 

 

 

Ok, go back to Angels Online.

 

Nah, i'm just gonna continue what i'm doing now... waiting for a game that will actually bring us something new and original My hopes are on Fallen Earth and Darkfall, but only time will tell.   kkthxbb.


 

 

open beta had a 'highest' graphics settings?

funny that you mention darkfall.  no.. really... HILARIOUS that you mention it.

 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

  osamar

Novice Member

Joined: 4/12/07
Posts: 55

9/15/08 4:22:42 AM#64

I really liked the game. Last patch solved most of problems. I am not a PvPer, but I got hooked in PvP battles. But I am going to wait some months, leveling of careers is needed. If Chaos has more populaiton and better  careers, this game has a serious problem.

  gorecki

Novice Member

Joined: 9/08/08
Posts: 48

9/15/08 9:40:08 AM#65
Originally posted by damian7
Originally posted by gorecki

As one of the posters on page 1 said...stale and boring.

Really crippled by boring "watch tv while you spam a button" combat, with poor animations and no real feeling of a fight.  Also, far too easy, no atmosphere of danger or challenge.  And, I really don't want to do a super-fast progression to 40 only to be stuck in battlegrounds (er, scenarios) and a few city raids.

WAR will hang on for quite a while though, because it really is the only major MMO since WoW to be reasonably attractive (largely b/c it borrows so much from WoW, though that may be unavoidable for any game now).  I think alot of these OMG BEST MMO EVER comments are a result of so many people being so starved for SOMETHING ELSE that doesn't suck completely.  I expect much of that to wear off in the coming year, since there is really little here to keep people around.

Overall, a 6/10 at best.  A good time-killer MMO for people who only have a few minutes a day to log on and beat on things.  A refinement of the "super-easy, super-fast" Western MMO paradigm.  It will be popular enough to ensure years of support and enhancements, so it is a good bet if you are really starved for something new.

Personally, I canceled my pre-order, as I had to really force myself to play it at all.


 what EXACTLY does it borrow from wow?

or, are you just not in-the-know about how much wow has borrowed from warhammer (since the original warcraft) and ALL other MMOs?

 

Yes, thanks for reminding us about the warhammer tabletop game / setting.  Nobody else has EVER mentioned that.

If you really can't see what WAR borrows from WoW...not much point in trying to explain it to you.  It would be like me explaining that the sky is blue when we were both standing somewhere looking up at it.

But, if you'd read, instead of just spluttering out a post, you'd see that i said "that may be unavoidable for any game [MMO] now".  So, really, its a statement of fact, not an indictment.

  originalegg

Novice Member

Joined: 10/09/06
Posts: 1153

Darkfall Releases - February 25th!!! Vaporware trolls = scum

9/15/08 9:50:48 AM#66
Originally posted by gorecki
Originally posted by damian7
Originally posted by gorecki

As one of the posters on page 1 said...stale and boring.

Really crippled by boring "watch tv while you spam a button" combat, with poor animations and no real feeling of a fight.  Also, far too easy, no atmosphere of danger or challenge.  And, I really don't want to do a super-fast progression to 40 only to be stuck in battlegrounds (er, scenarios) and a few city raids.

WAR will hang on for quite a while though, because it really is the only major MMO since WoW to be reasonably attractive (largely b/c it borrows so much from WoW, though that may be unavoidable for any game now).  I think alot of these OMG BEST MMO EVER comments are a result of so many people being so starved for SOMETHING ELSE that doesn't suck completely.  I expect much of that to wear off in the coming year, since there is really little here to keep people around.

Overall, a 6/10 at best.  A good time-killer MMO for people who only have a few minutes a day to log on and beat on things.  A refinement of the "super-easy, super-fast" Western MMO paradigm.  It will be popular enough to ensure years of support and enhancements, so it is a good bet if you are really starved for something new.

Personally, I canceled my pre-order, as I had to really force myself to play it at all.


 what EXACTLY does it borrow from wow?

or, are you just not in-the-know about how much wow has borrowed from warhammer (since the original warcraft) and ALL other MMOs?

 

Yes, thanks for reminding us about the warhammer tabletop game / setting.  Nobody else has EVER mentioned that.

If you really can't see what WAR borrows from WoW...not much point in trying to explain it to you.  It would be like me explaining that the sky is blue when we were both standing somewhere looking up at it.

But, if you'd read, instead of just spluttering out a post, you'd see that i said "that may be unavoidable for any game [MMO] now".  So, really, its a statement of fact, not an indictment.


 

This.

Also, dont waste your time with damian...he is really the troll's troll.  He has his fav game and everygame besides that is instantly crap.

He fails to see that despite the IP that WoW took from WAR or gameplay from other games....at the end of the day, WAR is a clone of past games including WoW.  Doesn't matter if mythic made DAoC which WoW took features from.  Or if the WoW IP comes from WAR.  WAR still came after all that and as an MMO, many of its gameplay features have already been played.

That is a Fact.  Doesnt mean its a bad thing, but its true that it is a clone.  Doesnt matter where the ideas were used first, all that matters is that as a game, it has been played before.

Oh well, some people are just more stubborn than others.  WAR is fun, and im probably goin to play cause im a big PVP player...but it doesnt bring anything new to the table and will just be a placeholder until a real game comes along. 

  kingofnothin

Novice Member

Joined: 6/21/07
Posts: 112

"Don''t take like too seriously, you''ll never get out alive!" - Van Wilder

9/15/08 9:56:20 AM#67

I had fun at the beginning, but gradually became bored. I cancelled my preorder, because I didn't feel as i'd be playing it for months/years. Not saying the game was stupid or anything, just wasn't my cup o tea.



  markoraos

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/05
Posts: 1621

My dog ate your homework.

9/15/08 10:07:38 AM#68

Lollzor

I'm gonna bookmark this thread and ressurect in in 6 months...

We're all gonna have a good laugh then.

WAR is WoW 2.0. It simply does everything WoW does but does it an order of magnitude better. In the case of PvP and world dynamics it does it TWO orders of magnitude better.

I can't think of ONE single reason why anyone would choose WOTLK over WAR. Not one except maybe being freaked out about "all that work that's gone to waste". And that last remark really tells you why WoW doesn't have a chance (hint: look for an underline).

Quite simply, WAR is the first really finished and polished AAA MMORPG that came after WoW. Tbh, WoW was crappy and waay behind times even when it came out, but at least it was polished and finished as a game AT RELEASE which is, incredibly, a rarity in this genre. All other considerations aside but WAR is 4 years more modern than WoW. In addition, Mythic people and especially MBJ are real game designers as DAOC proved, rather than pathetic D&D "roll play" jerkoffs that took over WoW right before the release.

There is simply no comparison between the two. WAR IS going to destroy WoW.

...

That was my bit of rabid fanoboism for now while I wait for my HS codes to arrive. Bookmarking this thread and ressing it in 6 months, come what may.

  Goldknyght

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/12/06
Posts: 1562

It''s one thing to have a opinion, but enforcing one is unconstitutional.

9/15/08 10:15:30 AM#69
Originally posted by markoraos

Awesome loads of fun.

Cancelled my WoW account and bought a new PC the day before yesterday so my missus can play alongside... A bit skeptically at first she tried out the game at my machine where I got it installed and after the first RvR scenario (at level 4) with her Bright Wizard she got pretty much incoherent and refused to budge from my PC until they shut down the OB servers... "Look, look! I exploded again!!" was pretty much all I could get out of her (she is a natural redhead and it might have something to do with it.)

I really hope we'll manage to DL her client before the headstart goes live else I won't get to play much.

So far it looks like the real deal. For me this is WoW 2.0 - everything that I hoped for from that game but which never materialized due to cretin EQ-school devs is here. You actually have FUN most of the time in WAR, rather than 20% fun and 80% grind-to-earn-the-right-to-eventually-have-fun we've become used to in WoW and similar games.


 

So i dont flame you hard i will say this much. Connect to eachothers computers Via LAN and Copy/Paste game files to the other computer. BAM you both have it. As for cancelling wow you will be back with WOTLK is released so no need to pay for it till then. Have fun WAGRHG whatever there slogan is.

  markoraos

Novice Member

Joined: 10/06/05
Posts: 1621

My dog ate your homework.

9/15/08 10:29:27 AM#70
Originally posted by Goldknyght
Originally posted by markoraos

Awesome loads of fun.

Cancelled my WoW account and bought a new PC the day before yesterday so my missus can play alongside... A bit skeptically at first she tried out the game at my machine where I got it installed and after the first RvR scenario (at level 4) with her Bright Wizard she got pretty much incoherent and refused to budge from my PC until they shut down the OB servers... "Look, look! I exploded again!!" was pretty much all I could get out of her (she is a natural redhead and it might have something to do with it.)

I really hope we'll manage to DL her client before the headstart goes live else I won't get to play much.

So far it looks like the real deal. For me this is WoW 2.0 - everything that I hoped for from that game but which never materialized due to cretin EQ-school devs is here. You actually have FUN most of the time in WAR, rather than 20% fun and 80% grind-to-earn-the-right-to-eventually-have-fun we've become used to in WoW and similar games.


 

So i dont flame you hard i will say this much. Connect to eachothers computers Via LAN and Copy/Paste game files to the other computer. BAM you both have it. As for cancelling wow you will be back with WOTLK is released so no need to pay for it till then. Have fun WAGRHG whatever there slogan is.

 

Could be.. I'll probably buy WOTLK in a year or so... or just a month's sub. Nostalgia, you know. I had some good times in WoW but the bad times of grind and pointless time wasting are behind me. Bad core game design is WoW's downfall - grind for gear and timesink your life away.

During the WAR's OB I rarely found myself playing for more than an hour / hour and a half at a stretch. Not because I was bored but because I had so much intense fun that I've had quite enough and wanted to take a break. It is simply incomparable to WoW where I would spend the same amount of time flying around, trying to get a group together, picking flowers so I can raid.... WAR simply gives you more fun for your time, and it does it from level 1. This proves what I've been saying for years now - WoW addiction is due to BAD rather than good game design. A perfect MMO will be the one that you'll play for an hour or two per day but you'll keep paying the monthly sub for. For me WAR is that game.

  Larkesa

Novice Member

Joined: 9/15/08
Posts: 2

9/15/08 3:33:18 PM#71

I didn't have much time to play in Beta, and when I did I was doing PQs mainly, a welcome mmo addition, but to me it still felt rough around the edges with room to improve and become a smooth running game.

So yeah, I'm going to purchase the SE and stick around to see how it develops.

  Galgamemnon

Novice Member

Joined: 6/19/07
Posts: 118

"Whats that on your arm"
"Crab claw"
"Oh, cool!"

9/15/08 3:45:55 PM#72

I think its great, ive never been much of a PvPer but Warhammer converted me i must admit lol.


  Thillian

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/31/06
Posts: 3221

9/15/08 3:51:37 PM#73

I say the game is a mess. Open RvR will be entertaining for only a short time. There's no thrill of the battle, because players have nothing to lose. It's a mindless grind of scenerios and public quests. There's no freedom of choice, there's no dynamic settings except for the resettable keeps.

REALITY CHECK

  Tekaelon

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/09/08
Posts: 471

9/15/08 3:53:47 PM#74
Originally posted by markoraos

Lollzor

I'm gonna bookmark this thread and ressurect in in 6 months...

We're all gonna have a good laugh then.

WAR is WoW 2.0. It simply does everything WoW does but does it an order of magnitude better. In the case of PvP and world dynamics it does it TWO orders of magnitude better.

I can't think of ONE single reason why anyone would choose WOTLK over WAR. Not one except maybe being freaked out about "all that work that's gone to waste". And that last remark really tells you why WoW doesn't have a chance (hint: look for an underline).

Quite simply, WAR is the first really finished and polished AAA MMORPG that came after WoW. Tbh, WoW was crappy and waay behind times even when it came out, but at least it was polished and finished as a game AT RELEASE which is, incredibly, a rarity in this genre. All other considerations aside but WAR is 4 years more modern than WoW. In addition, Mythic people and especially MBJ are real game designers as DAOC proved, rather than pathetic D&D "roll play" jerkoffs that took over WoW right before the release.

There is simply no comparison between the two. WAR IS going to destroy WoW.

...

That was my bit of rabid fanoboism for now while I wait for my HS codes to arrive. Bookmarking this thread and ressing it in 6 months, come what may.

 

It all comes down to comparing any new MMO with WoW. I wasn't an MMO player but when WoW came out did people back then react the same way and do LAME comparison to older titles like EQ or Dark age of Camelot?
I started reading this thread to read various opinions (both good and bad) of Warhammer. I really appreciate the honest and to the point summations some posters provided. Unfortunately the trolls and fanatics have turned this into something ridiculous and sad.


I wish WAR nothing but success! The developer has put a tramendous amount of effort into the title and I hope they are rewarded for it. But let's get something straight. A GOOD MMORPG needs enjoyable indepth PvE to survive!  PvP alone will not keep the game afloat.  You see I'm one of the D&D RPG jerkoffs who really enjoys the PvE aspects of an online game. I like an imersive world to explore. I like being kept busy questiong, doing instances, and crafting. I want to feel as though I'm in an online world not some giant 3D game board. Those are the things I log in for but I also enjoy PvP.  Yes I enjoy both aspects of the game.  I keep hearing WAR has weak PVE. Not just here but in many many other forums. For now this will keep me away.

One last thing. I still enjoy WoW but maybe that's because I don't play 100+ hours a week.

 

Cheers!

  dippitydodah

Novice Member

Joined: 9/20/05
Posts: 130

9/15/08 4:39:01 PM#75

This thread really surprises me, I was looking forward to this game for so long, signed up on the website day one it launched and a huge Warhammer fan for the pen and paper.   I was in several stages of beta before the open beta and have had the chance to play the game at early levels, level 10. 20 and 40 with full gear on each.

And have to say the game play mechanics are just awful, very very simple and the classes all have similar moves and mechanics.  The combat was slow and boring to me, and the talent trees well lol they don't even branch it's like the playschool version of a real talent tree.   Then they took out my favorite class from the beta, the orc choppa and that sealed the deal for me.

I don't know if you guys will truly enjoy this game over time or if it's just the mmo addiction needing a fix that's blinding you to the truth of this game.   But to any of the casual readers, wait 6 months before purchasing this game, period and wait for the classes and cities to be added and launch bugs fixed.

  Lughsan

Novice Member

Joined: 5/08/06
Posts: 316

9/15/08 6:19:00 PM#76

Most boring MMORPG I have ever played.. no challenge even the PvP is boring..

  Lughsan

Novice Member

Joined: 5/08/06
Posts: 316

9/15/08 6:20:10 PM#77
Originally posted by dippitydodah

This thread really surprises me, I was looking forward to this game for so long, signed up on the website day one it launched and a huge Warhammer fan for the pen and paper.   I was in several stages of beta before the open beta and have had the chance to play the game at early levels, level 10. 20 and 40 with full gear on each.

And have to say the game play mechanics are just awful, very very simple and the classes all have similar moves and mechanics.  The combat was slow and boring to me, and the talent trees well lol they don't even branch it's like the playschool version of a real talent tree.   Then they took out my favorite class from the beta, the orc choppa and that sealed the deal for me.

I don't know if you guys will truly enjoy this game over time or if it's just the mmo addiction needing a fix that's blinding you to the truth of this game.   But to any of the casual readers, wait 6 months before purchasing this game, period and wait for the classes and cities to be added and launch bugs fixed.

 

This is the ultimate truth.. one day fanbois will wake up and go aw shit we've been had...

  Crazy00Eyes

Novice Member

Joined: 5/03/07
Posts: 91

9/15/08 6:37:10 PM#78

I don't know about this game.  The PvP and Public quests seem alright, but I have a feeling they'll get boring quick.  The gameplay is fragmented and the combat animations are very blocky.  A lot of my friends are going to be playing it, so I'll probably end up playing it as well.  If I'm not enjoying it, I'll cut my losses and cancel my subscription.  Could be a waste of money, but problem solved.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Played: Clan Lord, WoW, Matrix Online, LOTR:O, EVE, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Rift
Playing: Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3

  Zoomzoo

Novice Member

Joined: 11/02/07
Posts: 82

9/15/08 6:41:53 PM#79

I cancelled my pre-order today.  I will not pay EA/Mythic to play their game during the prolonged beta test (which will take at least another 6 to 12 months to iron out the major problems).

  kidRiot

Novice Member

Joined: 5/09/06
Posts: 209

9/15/08 7:01:40 PM#80

Well...Sounds like i'll be playing WAR = )

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search