Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EVE Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,814,938 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,213,834
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » Low level PQ's and RvR in a few months ...

12 posts found
  MarlonB

Advanced Member

OP  9/12/08 4:15:58 AM#1

What will happen if the game is out a few months and there is only a small stream of new players?

I'm afraid that the RvR in the beginners area's will be dead (imagine looong waiting times in queue to get a full group) and it will be a nightmare to find enough people for a fun experience in PQ's.

I haven't read about it anywhere, but is this beeing thought about?  ... I did notice though that when we did a pq with only 5 peeps, the Hero started off with only half the hitpoints.

The Repopulation - Scfi Fi Sandbox.

Fensus

Novice Member

9/12/08 12:29:01 PM#2

of course theres a possibilty that a game can fail after launch (though the chances of it happening to WAR at this point are almost 0). But theres no point in worrying about it, or going into the game with presumptions like that. In my oppinion, Mythic has done enough to ensure that people will be in Tier1 RVRing long after release

MarlonB

Advanced Member

OP  9/12/08 3:01:46 PM#3

Not necessarely a fail, but when people keep playing their mains to higher levels and the influx of new players are much smaller, the beginners area's will be empty.

Last night i was queued for RvR for almost an hour !!! And that in a week where 100K people are trying to play for free ;) ... i played in a few PQ's where we were with only 3 ...

The Repopulation - Scfi Fi Sandbox.

Raven

Novice Member

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

9/12/08 3:05:36 PM#4
Originally posted by MarlonB

Not necessarely a fail, but when people keep playing their mains to higher levels and the influx of new players are much smaller, the beginners area's will be empty.

Last night i was queued for RvR for almost an hour !!! And that in a week where 100K people are trying to play for free ;) ... i played in a few PQ's where we were with only 3 ...

There is really no solution for this besides allowing the high levels to RVR on the lower tiers but ofc this would destroy it for any new player, once the population becomes too high level new people will just fly through content to get to tier 4, and like any other MMO after some time the lower level areas will be "empty".

VirgoThree

Tipster

FFXIV:ARR, Malboro Server, Scarlet Raven

9/13/08 4:07:25 AM#5

well they could always scale down some PQ's if they become to desolate population wise. For rvr people we always be making alts at least. All tiers are not needed to capture and secure T4 and the forts but they certainly help.

Loke666

Elite Member

9/13/08 4:17:56 AM#6

Always a problem with level based PvP games, the noob zones get empty after a while. You might have to live with PvE up your alts if the game don't fill up many new players all the time. Alternatively, you could have a chat with your guild and one of the opposite side and do alt PvP certain times.

Mythic can balance PvP with fewer players but it still ain't as fun as 2 full groups.

And someone up said that the game won't fail: It doesnt matter, even if WAR will get 10 mil players, sooner or later there will be more high levels than noobs and then the noob PvP zones will be empty. You can't expect players to make a new alt as soon as the main char hits max level all the time.

DuraheLL

Novice Member

** Ooh theeres aaa monkey in my pocket and hes stealing all my change **

9/13/08 8:03:21 AM#7

OP:
The same thing can be said about EVERY MMORPG. They are ALL dependant on a stream of new players and it has never been a real problem for any good MMORPG so far and I can't see WAR will have any problems at all with it either.

$OE lies list
http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
"
And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

User Deleted
9/13/08 8:37:33 AM#8
Originally posted by DuraheLL

OP:
The same thing can be said about EVERY MMORPG. They are ALL dependant on a stream of new players and it has never been a real problem for any good MMORPG so far and I can't see WAR will have any problems at all with it either.

Other mmos are NOT dependant on player population balance, this game is. Without other players in this game, there is no fun factor. That's a very dangerous thing to rely on, even in beta it showed frequently that the game only lived up to its potential for 3 hours a day. (peak time)

Btw, I think its more likely Tier 2-3 that are going to be ghost towns. Many people like to roll new characters so Tier 1 should have a decent population. Tier 4 will be packed like mad though

Thenarius

Novice Member

9/13/08 10:04:35 AM#9

This thing is pretty much inevitable in a MMORPG.

It happened with WoW and it didn't fail.  There will be some people here and there so you can do some PQs/scenarios. Some people will try to make twinks too(yea, a full blue at max lvl with powerful talismans will have no problems beating multiple people with bolster) so fun things to do will be there.

sonictmp

Advanced Member

9/13/08 9:08:57 PM#10
Originally posted by Thenarius

This thing is pretty much inevitable in a MMORPG.

It happened with WoW and it didn't fail.  There will be some people here and there so you can do some PQs/scenarios. Some people will try to make twinks too(yea, a full blue at max lvl with powerful talismans will have no problems beating multiple people with bolster) so fun things to do will be there.

The differance with wow is they went back and speed up the leveling process. Not to mention even before you always had something to do while leveling. Right now WAR has gaps since you need to do some PQ here and there to level.

And for a game that's trying to sell pvp as it's main point, lack of people in the lower tiers means you will level extermerly slowly via RVR. That seems rather counter productive to what they are selling.

IF they go back and fill int he pve gaps then the low end game won't suffer. If they don't then the influx of new players will stop at a certian point.

bluedragonnn

Novice Member

9/14/08 3:17:11 PM#11

Erm.... you guys forget that having lower level people in the lower tiers is "essencial" to the game because you need to take over all of the tiers and then take 2/3 of your enemy keeps in-order to lay seige to your enemys city.. Or did they get rid of that?

Originally posted by Turdinator:
Wow. So many great points made in that post. You are a fine addition to the Athiest movement my good man. Keep up the good work and post as often as you like. It sounds like you have important/intelligent things to say.

User Deleted
9/15/08 1:02:15 PM#12
Originally posted by bluedragonnn

Erm.... you guys forget that having lower level people in the lower tiers is "essencial" to the game because you need to take over all of the tiers and then take 2/3 of your enemy keeps in-order to lay seige to your enemys city.. Or did they get rid of that?

only in Tier 4, the other tiers dont matter for city siege