Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Neverwinter | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,849,731 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,386
BioWare Mythic
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 09/18/08)  | Pub:Electronic Arts
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$39.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

WAR (Warhammer Online) Forum » WAR Open Beta Discussion » What's with the poor gameplay?

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search
54 posts found
  Crazy00Eyes

Novice Member

OP  9/11/08 2:11:13 AM#1

I like some things in this game.  The instant PvP gratification, the graphics are a solid step up from WoW (which I am completely bored with after 4 years).  But what's the deal with the gameplay?  Smooth gameplay should be one of the top priorities of video game developers.  I've noticed a lot of MMOs in particular seem to fail at this simple concept, WoW and a few others being the rare exceptions.  Bugs aside, I'm not sure how I feel about the combat system in WAR, it seems too simplistic.  But of course my character is a low level, so that could be a contributer to my feelings here.  Heals are all instant cast and there's so such thing as interupting spell casts?  Tank and healer classes are a pain in the ass to solo with because they kill things half as fast as DPS classes?  Come on...

Anyways, that's my review so far.  It's a beta and hopefully they will be smoothing it out in the release.  I don't really have anything else going for me right now so I'll probably play it while I wait for the next amazing Blizzard game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Played: Clan Lord, WoW, Matrix Online, LOTR:O, EVE, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Rift
Playing: Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3

firefly2003

Advanced Member

I miss you Star Wars Galaxies...:(

9/11/08 3:18:51 AM#2

Didnt you know its another WOW clone? Just all PVP based but nothing really new to offer in innovation...I expect this game to fall on its face also just like Age Of Fail too much flash not enough content , or unpolished POS just like many other games to come out as of late....but then again Im not the only one whos has said this game isnt that great...

Emotions

Novice Member

9/11/08 3:21:57 AM#3

lol ? what level is your character ?? 5?? 

What you need to understand is that a level 5 character in warhammer is about the same as a level 9-10 character in wow maybe even the same as a level 15. Now if you played wow for 4 years than you should know that combat as a level 9-10 character in wow is just stupid. The decent combat started around level 40+. Unless you licked playing as a level 19 twinkie.

Emotions

Novice Member

9/11/08 3:23:41 AM#4
Originally posted by firefly2003

Didnt you know its another WOW clone? Just all PVP based but nothing really new to offer in innovation...I expect this game to fall on its face also just like Age Of Fail too much flash not enough content , or unpolished POS just like many other games to come out as of late....but then again Im not the only one whos has said this game isnt that great...

What?? did you even play the game? or did you stop around level 6? Seriously In open beta I haven'"t seen anyone go above level 6. Almost no one has even experienced keep sieging. 

Crazy00Eyes

Novice Member

OP  9/11/08 4:31:54 AM#5

Well considering how many subscribers WoW has, I'm not at all surprised that every single MMO I've played that has come out after WoW is another WoW clone.  I hope one day someone does something innovative, we're all tired of 'not another generic MMO,' but how much can you do with the RPG genre?  MMORTS might be fun

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Played: Clan Lord, WoW, Matrix Online, LOTR:O, EVE, Tabula Rasa, Warhammer Online, Rift
Playing: Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3

theCandle

Novice Member

9/11/08 4:43:33 AM#6

Most of the posts complaining about the mmo's being released just seem to be about the person posting as much as the game itself, if you can't find an mmo to play that makes you even somewhat happy then maybe you're setting your standards too high and just on that bandwagon that seems to enjoy bashing stuff and doesn't seem to be happy with anything.

Warhammer is a really solid game that's improving everyday as release closes in, i'm glad i like it.

I'd sort of hate to be in the group of players out there that can't seem to find a game to play, what the heck are you guys playing then ?  Cabal online or some other FTP crap that you can justifiably complain about?

DeadJester

Novice Member

My Man!

9/11/08 4:49:51 AM#7

Try being some one that likes AoC . Good luck to all you players playing WAR there are going to be  a 1000 or more post that your game sucks. Don't listen to them if you like the game thats all that matters. Good luck players of WAR and I mean that.

Overpower

Novice Member

5000% Crit

9/11/08 8:01:25 AM#8

Thus my sig says it all...

I'm gonna miss all those hate topics on WoW.

To Crybabies: Uhm...if a game pisses you off, don't play it - duh.
To Crybabies - Part 2: If you want a game to suit all your needs, start off by going to college to become a Game Designer.
Emo User Award: busdriver, for his love of Britney Spears - The Prize - Winning Posts

banthis

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 10:42:46 AM#9
Originally posted by Crazy00Eyes

I like some things in this game.  The instant PvP gratification, the graphics are a solid step up from WoW (which I am completely bored with after 4 years).  But what's the deal with the gameplay?  Smooth gameplay should be one of the top priorities of video game developers.  I've noticed a lot of MMOs in particular seem to fail at this simple concept, WoW and a few others being the rare exceptions.  Bugs aside, I'm not sure how I feel about the combat system in WAR, it seems too simplistic.  But of course my character is a low level, so that could be a contributer to my feelings here.  Heals are all instant cast and there's so such thing as interupting spell casts?  Tank and healer classes are a pain in the ass to solo with because they kill things half as fast as DPS classes?  Come on...

Anyways, that's my review so far.  It's a beta and hopefully they will be smoothing it out in the release.  I don't really have anything else going for me right now so I'll probably play it while I wait for the next amazing Blizzard game.

Um you can be interrupted its a nightmare trying to get off non instance spells if someone is attacking you.  Instant spells are cheap low level quick spells as you get higher level you get non instant spells which are awsome and they can definitly be interrupted or slowed down by being attacked. 

I've played tank classes and they're great to solo with you may be slower at killing but you can Kill more than 1 or 2 mobs at t time.

Oh and btw this isn't your little brother's Solo Leet Game...this is an RVR Game...things go faster if you use the Public group feature you know.

There's nothing to smooth out in gameplay .. just bugs with ai mobs...Im starting to consider player intelligence a bug that no developer can fix with all the crying and whininga bout every game that comes out that doesn't let you be Uber Leet and give you all the combat features from the beginning. 

Shoal

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 10:52:14 AM#10

Well :

*  WAR is currently running Beta code.  Which means that debugging logging is most likely turned on.  You are supposed to be testing, not just enjoying yourself.

*  Tanks cannot solo or kill fast?  The level 4 SwordMaster I am playing can consistently score in the top 1-3 slots in the first PQ, even with level 6+ players present.  This is not Tanking ala-WoW.  Need to actually study your skills and learn to play them.

*  You know who beats me out in the PQs, the dang level 3 Warrior Priest !  Dang if I know how he is doing it.  Have not figured it out.  I need to learn to play !

*  I think there is much, much more to WAR that first meets the eye.  If one attempts to play as WoW or LotRO is played, well, that is not going to work very well.  Thing to keep in mind is that this is a PvP game, with the PvE elements being the sideline.  Changes everything.  Need to get into the Scenarios to see how the target Warhammer design works.

Just a few thoughts.
Good Hunting

Fensus

Novice Member

9/11/08 11:42:14 AM#11

hahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaAHAHAHAHAHAHH

I lolled so hard at that line... is that an ACTUALY complaint??? tanks and healers do less damage than pure damage dealers ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry...gimme a second to compose myself....

oh geeze.. here it goes again... HAHAHAHHAAH

Cotillion99

Novice Member

9/11/08 11:52:37 AM#12
Originally posted by Fensus

I lolled so hard at that line... is that an ACTUALY complaint??? tanks and healers do less damage than pure damage dealers ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

While his sentiment there did give me a chuckle as well,  i probably should throw out there that as a Black Orc (tank) i've won the dps meter in scenarios a couple times and have thrown up over 20,000 dmg in a tier one scenario.  Learn to play your class, maybe guard a DoK and have him be your dedicated healer and have both of you focus on the same guys.  Wham, bam your nigh unstoppable.  You get buffed, healed and he gets a ton of hp/armor. 

Fensus

Novice Member

9/11/08 11:56:51 AM#13

yah im not saying a tank cant out damage a DPS in the end, due to being alive and still swinging while a DPS has to respawn. but if a DPS is played right and stays alive, they'll out damage you no prob.

tanks = meat shields

dps = goblin hunters

UbahNecro

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:01:07 PM#14

Originally posted by Fensus

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Seems like an intelligent reply.

ravenmoon696

Novice Member

A witty saying proves nothing~Voltaire

9/11/08 12:11:06 PM#15

Since your a n00b you will be forgiven this once for that comment- I mean you have not been around in the world long enough to know what real gaming consists of. Warhammer is NOT a clone of WoW, Warhammer has been around a lot longer than WoW and if you take the time to read your lore and development information and all the trouble WoW went through in the beginning you might get a clue- might, but I doubt it.

To the guy who has a lvl 5 toon and is complaining about game play, try different toons on both realms and get them to at least tier 2 before making that kind of "observation" on the game play. As an elder beta tester I can tell you only this- the game will be very stable and very pleasing to you upon release, for God sakes people you are in beta, NOT the finished product!

aurick

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:20:51 PM#16

Actually, heals aren't all insta-cast.  Also, some heals are HoT while others are instant.  It depends a lot on the class and the level.

The earliest levels in WAR are deliberately simplistic.  They teach you the core mechanic of your class, up to level 7.  At level 8 you get your first Morale skill, and the Morale bare starts coming into play.  This gets more important as the game progresses, forcing you to constantly make choices about whether to capitalize on your morale or not.  (Also, some classes get abilities to reduce enemy morale, so if you were counting on using a morale heal you might suddenly be unable to.)

By level 11 you will have gotten your first Tactic.  These come from core class progression, RvR advancement, and Tome unlocks.  You get many of each over time, but can only have one of each type active at a time.  However, you have five load outs that you can set up to switch between instantly.  This adds another level to combat as you first try to anticipate what you'll need, and then actually change between load outs during combat to constantly adapt to the situation.

At level 10 you start getting Mastery advancement, too, which is somewhat like WoW's talent trees. 

In short, there's a lot of depth that comes as the character matures.  Levels 1-7 teach you the basics, then everything after that mixes it up a lot.  In tier 2 (levels 11-20) you start getting interrupts, holds, and stuff like that.  Tier 3 advances the complexity futher, and tier 4 goes even farther.

DrDwarf

Apprentice Member

9/11/08 12:37:04 PM#17

Well considering how many subscribers WoW has, I'm not at all surprised that every single MMO I've played that has come out after WoW is another WoW clone.  I hope one day someone does something innovative, we're all tired of 'not another generic MMO,' but how much can you do with the RPG genre?  MMORTS might be fun

First off.

This is not a WOW clone.

Wow based on quest, grind and instances till you get to max level.    They threw in BGs as an afterthought and Bgs do not give you XP/are not an alternative to PVE levelling.

If you start wow now you on your journey to 70 you will likely stuggle to play that part of the game as it was designed becasue 1/ you wont find groups to do the instances (sure you can effectively cheat by getting boosts but that is not how the game was designed)  2/ use the Recruit a a friend which is in place to boost numbers and get those new players upto 60/70 easily and quickly so  they are going to buy the WoTLK.  

WOW atm is all about end game where you are either in a solid PVE guild or like 75% of active players you are doing arenas over and over to get PVP geat that gets replaced wit hsomething better every season.

Warhammer on the other hand is PVE or PVP from the start to level and an endgame based on RVR large scale battles, some end game PVE.   You can do PQs, RVR and scenarios as well as the regular grind and PVE questing.

All these people pickign it up expecting it to be totally different to other MMORPG are fools.  You dont pick up a flight simulator and expect it to be fundamentally different, and just becasue you sept months of your life in WOW doesnt mean other MMORPG have to feel as comfortable and immediately appealing to you as soon as you log on - thats just dumb in the ssame way you wouldnt expect to go to someone else house and have it feel like your home 5 minutes after walking in.

You are also  extremely dumb if you play a game in open beta and assume everything is going to be the same in release - fine it will be substantially the same but certain things will change.

You are lso dumb if you have an average to crap PC that runs wow fine but cant run latest games - even if they have been damped down to let a larger number of people play.  

If you came to wow late and consider yourself an expert you ar e100% wrong.   WOW on day of release wasnt up for many hours - thats release yes - not open beta.    Many people if not every single player had crashes, there were lots of issues with graphics card drivers, there was 0 support save a few public statements saying - we are sorry - we are fixing stuff - wait for more news.

When world pvp was introduced it was pants.  Sure it was fun to line up against each other in southshore etc, but the game couldnt handle it and it was lag crash city until they introduced BGs and the grind (and it was a proper grind) to get rank vs everyonje else on your faction on your sever.

Now there were people crashing out of instances, no real way to fairly distribute loot, loads of time consuming UI and gameplay flaws that made just existing and getting ready to play time consuming.   You couldnt make enough gold playing as a novice to pay for your spells let alone buy top gear and train your professions (skinning aside)

In wow now - you are playing for items that will be next to useless in WoTLK.   If you worked for that 5k for tha t Epic Mount people can get on for less than half the price and they still whine.  They can make their own. they can rep grind for one.  The list is endless.

Oh and class imbalance.  Well WOW was never set up for or made it easy to do world  pvp initially.  So unless you were in a team wit ha good mix of classes you came accross significant class balance issues when you were in pvp and obviusly the pve grind was a lot wasier/faster for some that it is now because of that.

Now in Warhammer in minutes of starting a char you are involved in PQs where you roll automatically for a share of loot.  you can do rvr and scenario based pvp and have your char level scaled up so you can actually kill others in those games whilst levelling too.

Yes Warhammer is similar to WO becasue they belogng to the same genre - but it is not a wow clone.

Oh and the Tome of Knowledge - how about that for a record of your achievements.   What does wow have to show your character is long serving and 10 times better than some kid that got boosted to 70 and spend 3 weeks doing arenas, bought some cheap wow gold and now thinks they are quality ?

Fensus

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:49:55 PM#18

AHHAHAHAAHAH

sorry, just another laughing fit over his complaint of healers not out damaging a dps

User Deleted
9/11/08 12:54:35 PM#19

What exactly is it about combat that people say isn't smooth?

Everything is smooth as can be for me. When I wanna shoot, I shoot, when I wanna use ANY ability ever, that ability works, and works as it's meant to. There is no clunkiness or anything in there. Now and then there might be a messed up animation, or an animation might not go off for some reason, but other than that, there is nothing wrong with it.

miagisan

Novice Member

9/11/08 12:56:15 PM#20

my only gripe with the gameplay is that the animations sometimes get of osync...but it's purely cosmetic, and seems to have been fixed today

3 Pages 1 2 3 » Search