Trending Games | WildStar | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,816,080 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,215,901
Spellborn International
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 04/23/09)  | Pub:Frogster Interactive / Mindscape / Acclaim
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
55 posts found
  Tokken

Hard Core Member

"I'm your Huckleberry!"

8/19/10 4:07:17 PM#41

that's too bad.  I had real hopes for this game before it's launch

UO, EQ, DAoC, SWG, WOW, EQ2, CoH, CoX, VG, Aion, STO, CO, DCUO, LOTRO, Tera, SWTOR, GW2, DP, NW, TSW, MH, DDO, Rift, WS, ESO, Trove, LM

User Deleted
8/19/10 4:27:06 PM#42

I'm a pretty avid mmo player and the truth is I disagree with the sentiment mentioned above my post. I don't whine or cry for something new, as a matter of fact I have no problems saying my preference is for things to stay marginally familiar to what I'm used to.  I agree with you that it is something we hear often but I'm not sure that saying you want something new people are automatically take into account that new doesn't really mean good to everyone.  I can honestly say though I'm reluctant to play games that try to be too different because the truth is then it is just an experiment and I value my dollar too much to take part in it.

I'm not against companies being determined to try using new features but as stated and as seen enough recently that is just not a good idea for a company that is in a make or break state with the game they plan to use it on. 

zugurudumba

Novice Member

8/21/10 11:52:55 AM#43

Oh, boy, I am SO sad. I knew this day was coming, but the thought of my favourite MMORPG shutting down was something I tried to avoid. And now it's gone for good. Imagine your favourite MMORPG going down. I probably feel whatever Tabula Rasa fans felt when their game was shut down.

But while Tabula Rasa went down in flames, with a great end-game event, Spellborn was put down like a stray dog. They promised to keep the servers up until August 25th, yet no servers are up as of 21st. Gone for good.

I am currently saving what I can from the game files - but only the music seems to be salvageable. Unfortunately the maps can't be explored offline, because they're written in the proprietary Unreal 2.5 engine. Would have been ideal for cinematic video creation.

Why can't big suits at Disney release the server side code? Or at least some tools to open the maps? Maybe they don't even have them anymore.

arrowotwood

Novice Member

8/27/10 12:40:58 PM#44
Originally posted by zugurudumba

Oh, boy, I am SO sad. I knew this day was coming, but the thought of my favourite MMORPG shutting down was something I tried to avoid. And now it's gone for good. Imagine your favourite MMORPG going down. I probably feel whatever Tabula Rasa fans felt when their game was shut down.

But while Tabula Rasa went down in flames, with a great end-game event, Spellborn was put down like a stray dog. They promised to keep the servers up until August 25th, yet no servers are up as of 21st. Gone for good.

I am currently saving what I can from the game files - but only the music seems to be salvageable. Unfortunately the maps can't be explored offline, because they're written in the proprietary Unreal 2.5 engine. Would have been ideal for cinematic video creation.

Why can't big suits at Disney release the server side code? Or at least some tools to open the maps? Maybe they don't even have them anymore.

I understand your sadness. I too am going through this. I've been with Spellborn years before its release in Europe. I've played through the closed & open beta there. I was there at release. And I'm still there now when it's down. And I'll never forget the game.

But there's one thing most people inc. you don't seem to understand: 

Spellborn NV holds the license to the game, not Disney, not Playdom and certainly not the nowdefunct Acclaim or Frogster. So this means that Disney doesn't even have the editing tools, so therefore they can't release them! Spellborn NV might have them as their daughtercompany Spellwork BV created those tools. 

Geeves

Novice Member

MUNDO!!

8/28/10 5:46:31 PM#45

So glad I kept the game's music files. Some of the best video game music I've ever heard gets made more eerie now that the game is dead. It's like I'm hearing it from beyond the grave.

MUNDO!!

Loke666

Elite Member

8/28/10 5:55:13 PM#46

Really too bad, they had some good ideas and the mood in the game was very nice.

But too little content and not fun enough to play killed it. The combat system was good in theory but wasn't fun when you played, that didn't help either.

Gameguard was also a turn off, we were 4 that was to try it at the open beta but 2 of the guys never got it to work (ok, it was the 2 less competent with computers but installing and running a game should be the easiest part any moron can do).

Loke666

Elite Member

8/28/10 5:59:39 PM#47
Originally posted by jaxsundane

I'm not against companies being determined to try using new features but as stated and as seen enough recently that is just not a good idea for a company that is in a make or break state with the game they plan to use it on. 

It mattered little. Imagine the exactly same game with EQs or Wows mechanics and interface...  You actually think that would have changed anything for the better or worse?

Fun and lots of content are the 2 important facts to sell a MMO, not the game mechanics. Games that lacks one will never be huge and games that like Spellborn lack both will fade away.

Loke666

Elite Member

8/28/10 6:04:31 PM#48
Originally posted by Amarok44

So glad I kept the game's music files. Some of the best video game music I've ever heard gets made more eerie now that the game is dead. It's like I'm hearing it from beyond the grave.

Most of it was made by "Within temptation", they are pretty good (particularly their early work). Pretty big band in Holland actually, here are their homepage: http://www.within-temptation.com/

I liked that part too of the game :)

BarCrow

Hard Core Member

8/28/10 6:08:40 PM#49

Sad to see it go. Really hope it get's a rebirth elsewhere. It had a very unusual feel ..an odd sense of humor  and some unique elements. I just had other game's I liked better. When I did try to install it  a second time (after it went F2P) the game guard gave me problems..and I lost patience with the whole effort....figured I'd give it a go when it was re-released in it's new incarnation. Guess that's not happening now..or is it?

Geeves

Novice Member

MUNDO!!

8/28/10 6:36:48 PM#50
Originally posted by Loke666

Most of it was made by "Within temptation", they are pretty good (particularly their early work). Pretty big band in Holland actually, here are their homepage: http://www.within-temptation.com/

Well there you go. I had always thought it was Jesper Kyd. Good to know, I'll have to check out that band :)

MUNDO!!

cheyane

Hard Core Member

8/28/10 7:15:22 PM#51

I am just curious to know how many of the people who thought this game was unique and different actually continued to support it.  It's funny how we all wax poetic about things and talk potential and other meaningless descriptions without  putting your money where your mouth is.

Just like how everyone abandon other games and then lament their passing.  I continued to play Anarchy Online ,Vanguard and Age of Conan because I saw potential in these games and refused to give up and supported them financially. I think this genre needs more loyalty .We bail out on games so easily.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Baikal

Tipster

8/28/10 7:25:26 PM#52

Originally posted by cheyane

Just like how everyone abandon other games and then lament their passing.  I continued to play Anarchy Online ,Vanguard and Age of Conan because I saw potential in these games and refused to give up and supported them financially. I think this genre needs more loyalty .We bail out on games so easily.

I wont speak for anyone else, but I also dont believe on spending money I earn on something that isnt enjoyable. I have zero obligation to spend money on a game that isnt enjoyable, and I certainly dont pay for potential, because there is zero guarantee that a game can ever reach what my personal feelings of potential are.

In saying that, sure I can wax nostalgic about past games, but it doesnt stop me from realzing that I usually stopped playing something because I stopped enjoying it, and there are certainly other options. In fact, it's better to have companies compete for consumer dollars, because games that "hit" with audiences then have a chance to work.

arrowotwood

Novice Member

8/29/10 4:26:54 AM#53
Originally posted by Loke666

Well there you go. I had always thought it was Jesper Kyd. Good to know, I'll have to check out that band :)

Not true what you say Loke666!

Matthew Florianz, lead audio & ambient master, made all the ambient sounds and worked closely with Jesper Kyd. Jesper Kyd did the actual soundtrack.

Within Temptation, however, only made 2 songs to promote the game (they aren't featured in the game!). Those songs are called 'Sounds of Freedom' (Destroyed album) and 'The Howling' (this one was featured in a trailer).

Talin

Novice Member

You only live once... make it count!

8/29/10 9:58:54 AM#54

While I had thought the concepts behind the game interesting, it was never enough to actually try playing it (even when it was F2P).

This is a black mark against creativity though, and sends the message that "different" just might not work in the current sea of MMO games.

I do agree with other posters that the game never achieved enough hype through marketing, trade shows, and general promotion.

BarCrow

Hard Core Member

8/29/10 3:48:37 PM#55
Originally posted by cheyane

I am just curious to know how many of the people who thought this game was unique and different actually continued to support it. It's funny how we all wax poetic about things and talk potential and other meaningless descriptions without putting your money where your mouth is.

Just like how everyone abandon other games and then lament their passing. I continued to play Anarchy Online ,Vanguard and Age of Conan because I saw potential in these games and refused to give up and supported them financially. I think this genre needs more loyalty .We bail out on games so easily.

It is possible to appreciate certain elements of a game and still not subscribe. Though I didn't subscribe to Spellborn, I recommended it to many people who I thought would appreciate the gameplay...which they did. To be honest...there were never many people playing when I participated ..so..having already found another fantasy game I supported ...AoC ( and later another unique game imo.. Fallen Earth ) , I chose to play those games.

Another contributing factor to me not subbing is the fact that Acclaim never seemed to push the game or provide any kind of worthwhile support. It was just another game in their library it seemed. Acclaim took what was probably the best game they controlled and treated it like a small insignificant cog in their whole nickel and dimeing machine .

I also didn't want to invest my time in a game that was suppose to come back in a second incarnation. Would I like the new game? Who knows. I fully intended to try the "new" Spellborn . In the meantime I did support the game with my mouth...but it was kind of hard to keep supporting it with my money. Remember..the game wasn't out very long before it went f2p and unlike other F2P games..I don't recall a serious cash shop . Just Acclaim coins and nothing to spend them on except their other ..now defunct.... games..

So...though your comments may apply to many other failed ventures...it is my opinion that this is not one of them.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search