Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,787,116 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,300
Spellborn International
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 04/23/09)  | Pub:Frogster Interactive / Mindscape / Acclaim
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

The Chronicles of Spellborn Forum » General Discussion » What the hell happened to Chronicles of Spellborn?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
30 posts found
  Terranah

Apprentice Member

7/23/10 2:26:03 PM#21

Unlike some people here, I didn't really care for the combat system.  The spinning wheel thing didn't really do it for me.  Aside from that, the game lacked the 'it' factor.  After waiting for probably years to see this game launch, when it finally did I played for a few days and lost interest quickly.

On the plus side, I think they had some interesting graphics.

Josher

Novice Member

7/23/10 3:46:21 PM#22

From my few days at the end of beta, it just didn't do anything right enough.  The graphics while interesting and weird, were really nothing special.  The combat while interesting at first, wasn't interesting enough.  I was killing multiple higher level foes by exploiting pathing issues and simple kiting.  It was like an action game but not good enough to warrant all the extra clicking. Everything seemed instanced, closed in and on rails.  After a few hours, I had a feeling it was DOA.

Juiceman

Advanced Member

7/23/10 3:53:30 PM#23

you can't polish a turd indeed, but this game is playable.  i didn't have a problem getting it up and running.  Sometimes there's problems with gameguard.  You can google those and fix them pretty easy.  For a f2p game option with a fun combat system and challenging eviro/creatures it's not bad.  It's super quest heavy and having a partner makes it easier.  I played for a few months and got kinda bored cuz there are not too many people playing but it was a good experience and I'll probably dip in again at some point if servers are still up.

User Deleted
7/29/10 4:49:13 AM#24
Originally posted by Terranah

Unlike some people here, I didn't really care for the combat system.  The spinning wheel thing didn't really do it for me.  Aside from that, the game lacked the 'it' factor.  After waiting for probably years to see this game launch, when it finally did I played for a few days and lost interest quickly.

On the plus side, I think they had some interesting graphics.

Well the only plus side I found was that it's free to play. The graphics weren't all that impressive, maybe I'm spoiled.

User Deleted
8/09/10 1:05:52 PM#25

See the other threads on this board, apparently the game is being completely shutdown in September 2010. I won't repeat any drawn out laments here (for good laments on a game's death, see Tabula Rasa and The Matrix Online) but will say what the game's positives were for some of us.

The Story. The lore was amazing. They had everything they needed with this IP as far as story content was concerned.

Graphics. The world was unique and well crafted. (Yes this is totally subjective.) And when I say unique I don't mean just standard fantasy fare. These environments were a lot of fun to play in.

Combat. Either you liked it, or didn't. If nothing else, (most) would agree that it was a good idea.

Factions. Amazing potential (like so much else in Spellborn.)

This game was almost there. It had almost everything it needed to succeed. But obviously, potential, good intentions and some good game systems aren't going to bring a game to success.

R.I.P. Spellborn. You'll be missed.

Faelsun

Novice Member

10/12/10 4:04:18 PM#26
Originally posted by tvalentine

from what i remember, most of the problems with it had to do with the publisher (acclaim i think). Other then that i think it might have been a bit buggy.

It had two main bugs, one a problem with certain video settings and second a glitch in the login screen, but either one of those was a simple matter of adjusting settings and then only if your computer was not so great. .. in which case there was a degree of lag.

The Quests were GREAT though and it was very playable, it just had NO support at all. No Debugging no professionalism at all, ACCLAIM seriously screwed it up. Acclaim could have dropped all its sub par FTP mmorpgs it has put everything into this one as a PTP MMO and be doing great now, but they treated it like one of their Free to play let it die and ressurect it projects and killed the game. Acclaim should die by a painful burning death.

ChickGeek

Apprentice Member

10/18/10 4:03:25 PM#27

Does anyone know where/if i can read the full story - why the game was shut down and all... the link to a spellborn forum mentioned above isn't working anymore as they deleted the forum :(

damn these moneysuckers, it was i fine game, but i didn't had time to play it much and then i missed when it's got shut down :(

Online Games in Girl's Eyes
http://chickgeekgames.blogspot.com

choujiofkono

Novice Member

Extreme copy-paste development in FFXIV
------
SE "official player" experiences revealed as fake

10/18/10 4:11:09 PM#28
Originally posted by Faelsun
Originally posted by tvalentine

Acclaim should die by a painful burning death.

This about explains it the best. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Logos1326

Apprentice Member

10/18/10 4:15:49 PM#29

Tragic story.. I actually loved this game. Hope someone can pick it up but where it is now is anybody's guess..

Supposedly Acclaim sold out to Playdom who then sold to Disney, COS was suppoosed to be sold to Frogster but that fell through. Here's a blog with some info:

http://www.gamepron.com/news/2010/08/10/save-the-chronicles-of-spellborn/

and then a cryptic webpage from Acclaim...

http://spellborn.acclaim.com/

DrDream

Novice Member

"Hey...... look a dragon!!"

11/17/10 11:05:07 AM#30

like everyone has said its shutdown, but there's an anxious community at spellborn.org that is talking of the game, reminising and any info that comes out will be there so any and everyone who is intrested should make an account and come join us!!

http://spellborn.org/index.php

timeleaper Xfire Miniprofile
2 Pages « 1 2 Search