Trending Games | ArcheAge | Destiny | Guild Wars 2 | World of Warcraft

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,313 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,239,315
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/08/04)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Everquest II Forum » The Tavern (General) » Sony region locking EQ2 (and other games...)

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
94 posts found
  erictlewis

Apprentice Member

Joined: 11/08/08
Posts: 3058

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

3/31/12 10:25:55 PM#41
Originally posted by Nadia

updated FAQ posted 03/30

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733

 

sounds like this wont be implemented in EQ2 for a few months

http://eq2wire.com/2012/03/30/brasse-talks-updated-prosiebensat-1-faq/#more-13264

A great many details are still being worked out, and we have a significant amount of time left – we haven’t even determined a transition date for EQII yet.

 

Basicly what soe did was tell the eu customers today you have to have a pss1 account to play or you can hit the road.

In other words they really did sale out their eu customers to pss1.   Its not a good thing for sure.

 

  emperorwings

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/25/06
Posts: 1354

3/31/12 10:33:55 PM#42

They keep doing stupid things to the game like the latest thing their going to do is take the suburbs of Qeynos and make them an instanced quest zone and turn the city into a hub thing. Oh yeah and made it f2p and items the same but that's probly old news by now since I haven't followed it for awhile.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  Rednecksith

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/12/09
Posts: 1272

Bite my fiery metal ass!

3/31/12 11:22:43 PM#43

Ouch, this really sucks for EU gamers. 

Frogster did a similar thing to Turkish players of Runes of Magic, except they didn't bother to give notice. Players literally just tried to log in one day and couldn't. Diamonds (cash shop currency) weren't refunded, characters weren't transferred, and they pretty much just told all Turkish players to go f*ck themselves. It's why I won't do business with that company, EVER.

Looks like SOE is pulling the same garbage. It just amazes me that companies still do this in today's global market. The good thing is that they're slowly but surely nailing the lid on their own coffins by doing so.

  User Deleted
3/31/12 11:37:58 PM#44

SOE has been region locking their games for years. There's even a theory out there that the reason EQ2 could never compete with WoW is that SOE locks Asian players from their games (revenge for the failure of EQEast). 

  CasualMaker

Novice Member

Joined: 3/10/06
Posts: 857

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

4/02/12 12:26:48 PM#45
Originally posted by emperorwings

They keep doing stupid things to the game like the latest thing their going to do is take the suburbs of Qeynos and make them an instanced quest zone and turn the city into a hub thing. Oh yeah and made it f2p and items the same but that's probly old news by now since I haven't followed it for awhile.

Oh god, no. I hated when they did that to Freeport. It just destroyed the character of the place. Admittedly, I liked Freeport proper better than its suburbs, but its the reverse with Qeynos: I like the villages and all their little quests better.

  emperorwings

Hard Core Member

Joined: 12/25/06
Posts: 1354

4/03/12 7:55:33 PM#46

They will probaly do a token system for raining next. It wouldn't surprise me.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

  Skuz

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/25/08
Posts: 1039

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

4/03/12 8:06:28 PM#47

I really hate this whole deal, as much on principle as anything, but a small amount of digging reveals that ProSieben have a less than savoury reputation & are considered a pretty bad player in the market for the way they treat their customers, and their customer's security.

The biggest blow was finding out that EQnext & Planetside 2 are included as part of this deal which basically means I have now lost any & all interest in playing those 2 titles.

Massive mistake by SOE, I'm 100% convinced they could have done far better if they need money so bad that they required a European publisher.

Bye SOE, call me when you come to your senses, you get no more money from me until this deal is finished & I will remove all your titles.

EQ2 sub cancelled (and I'd only just bought the last expansion before this deal went public), and I tweeted Smedley to request that SOE add the functionality to block all information held by them ever being passed to ProSieben, they can sell their game to ProSeiben, the fuckers aren't selling me or my information along with it.

 

  Dissolution

Novice Member

Joined: 3/24/12
Posts: 210

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

4/06/12 3:11:46 AM#48

Two questions I have not been able to find a difinitive answer for on the FAQ's:

1. If I move from a US IP location, to an EU IP location, and then back again how does this affect me? Being military stationed in Europe this is the case for me. I will eventually move back to a US IP. Will the account transfer back?

2. If I have an all access account with SOE do I lose access to EQ2 and all other games under the Proseiblen (sp?) partnership?

At this point it does not affect me, however I was just about to get an all access account so I could play several of the SOE titles. If you are US based it doesnt seem to matter. If you move to different IP locations on a regular basis it appears to be very problematic. I definitely wont pay $15.00 a month sub for one game when I can get them all for $5.00 more. I also am definitly not going to sub to an all access account if it is not all access. I really do not understand how this will work for individuals who have a strong likelihood of wanting/needing to log in to their account from different locations worldwide.

I am hoping to here that I am misunderstanding this and these issues were considered.

  Nadia

Elite Member

Joined: 7/26/03
Posts: 11486

4/06/12 6:49:31 AM#49

I havent seen info for your 1st question

 

faq states All Acess is still being discussed

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733

 

 

 

  Dissolution

Novice Member

Joined: 3/24/12
Posts: 210

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

4/06/12 10:19:32 AM#50


Originally posted by Nadia

I havent seen info for your 1st question
 
faq states All Acess is still being discussed
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733
 
 
 



 

Thanks for the response. It really kind of sounds dismal for people in certain situations that it ordinarilly would not have been an issue for. We will see.

hTis decision seems to assume everyone either stays in the US permenantly, or stays in the EU permenantly. It definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.

  Nadia

Elite Member

Joined: 7/26/03
Posts: 11486

4/06/12 10:25:06 AM#51
Originally posted by Dissolution (SOE) definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.

guild wars2 is facing similar issues and havent addressed it yet

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/arenanet-details-guild-wars-2s-squad-mechanics/

we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you

 

  Dissolution

Novice Member

Joined: 3/24/12
Posts: 210

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

4/06/12 10:30:18 AM#52


Originally posted by Nadia



Originally posted by Dissolution (SOE) definitely does not consider individuals who travel often for professional reasons. I may log in from the US, Asia, EU, Iraq, or Afghanistan. If I can only log in when I am in one particular neighborhood they certainly lost my business.

guild wars2 is facing similar issues and havent addressed it yet
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/arenanet-details-guild-wars-2s-squad-mechanics/
we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you
 


 

I have a feeling that more consideration will be given from a game that has yet to release than SOE and EQ2. I may be way off the mark on that, its just an assumption, but I dont expect to see this a consideration from SOE to be honest.

The demographic who may need to log in from multiple IP's is so small in comparison to the whole I have a feeling it will just be dismissed.

  ace80k

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/05
Posts: 141

4/06/12 10:54:05 AM#53
Originally posted by fivoroth

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Amazing really. Forgive me for my incoming rant, I apologize in advance. I haven't been playing any MMOs recently, I do plan to play GW2 on release, but reading posts on these on this website has given me..a bit more insight as to the mindset of the MMO playing community. Not that I didn't know before, but I definitely have a more clear understanding now.

Earlier this week EA was voted the "worst company in America" http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/120405/ea-named-worst-company-america-consumerist-website. Now we have people spewing off about SoE. You can probably add EVERY other MMO company in the mix at some point in time.

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will. I think it's time for many of you to grow up, get over the "me me me" mentality, and realize things won't always go your way. Considering the cost to produce AAA MMO games these days, big business is, sadly, the future of MMO gaming.

  Nadia

Elite Member

Joined: 7/26/03
Posts: 11486

4/06/12 10:54:27 AM#54
Originally posted by Dissolution

I have a feeling that more consideration will be given from a game that has yet to release than SOE and EQ2. I may be way off the mark on that, its just an assumption, but I dont expect to see this a consideration from SOE to be honest.

i think yours is a safe assumption - soe has a reputation for irritating their playerbase

but I do enjoy their games :)

 

I did read that before any of this happens - players will be given a 30 day notice via email

I dont like SOE's decision to go forward with this

Id like to see EQ2 removed from their game list for this (like EQ is)

  Dissolution

Novice Member

Joined: 3/24/12
Posts: 210

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

4/06/12 11:14:56 AM#55


Originally posted by Nadia



Originally posted by Dissolution
I have a feeling that more consideration will be given from a game that has yet to release than SOE and EQ2. I may be way off the mark on that, its just an assumption, but I dont expect to see this a consideration from SOE to be honest.


i think yours is a safe assumption - soe has a reputation for irritating their playerbase
but I do enjoy their games :)
 
I did read that before any of this happens - players will be given a 30 day notice via email
I dont like SOE's decision to go forward with this
Id like to see EQ2 removed from their game list for this (like EQ is)


 

It is what it is. I am still considering going all access for Vanguard and EQ1 as I have multiple characters on both, bit I did like EQ2 as well. If I was going to go all access it would have given me piece of mind to have EQ2( where my wife and I both have multiple characters) as well. Withoit it I have to think about it.

I play many different games at once so an all access doesnt necessarily bother me, but I also play a few other games and although I dont necessarily mind sub fees (I can afford this as a hobby) I dont really like buying an all access pass that doesnt give me access to all lol.

Besidest that, the games that are not on the list are the most likely to close shop. I am concerned in investing time and money to end up being anouther Agency, Matrix, EQOA or SWG player sitting with his *cough* mouse in his hands and nothing else.

  Nadia

Elite Member

Joined: 7/26/03
Posts: 11486

4/06/12 11:30:06 AM#56
Originally posted by Dissolution

Besidest that, the games that are not on the list are the most likely to close shop

I dont see EQ being shutdown in the near future

 

EQ does an expansion each year, the last one (October 2011) was the 18th expansion

and gave much more content than Age of Discovery (EQ2)

 

Vanguard is not on the list either and will be going free to play this summer

  MurlockDance

Advanced Member

Joined: 6/20/10
Posts: 1216

4/07/12 1:57:14 AM#57

/rant on

The problem with these sorts of decisions is that they never consider the consequences for frequent travellers or people who live between continents. I don't think it is as low of a number as one might assume, and it isn't just American military personnel. It can be businessmen or other people who have to travel a lot for their jobs, people who have far-flung families, or ex-pats of one country.

Region-locking is bs. Companies always want globalisation to work in their favor, but do not want it to work in the favor of individuals, and I am for one sick of it. They have no consideration for the complexities of modernday life, and make it as awkward as possible. This is the case of mainly entertainment: games in general, DVDs, etc., but it also affects what cards you can use to purchase things online.

If they want to have a truly global economy, they need to realize that it is not a one-way street. Companies move and so do people, especially between the US and Asia, Europe and the US, etc.

I was going to play PS2 and keep up from time-to-time with my EQ2 subscription, but no longer. SOE have already tried region-locking once before and it sucked badly. If I sub to a game it is to have fun, not have an exercise of irritation.

/rant off

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

  Greyhawk4x4

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/26/06
Posts: 475

-Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

4/07/12 9:34:35 AM#58
Originally posted by MurlockDance

/rant on

The problem with these sorts of decisions is that they never consider the consequences for frequent travellers or people who live between continents. I don't think it is as low of a number as one might assume, and it isn't just American military personnel. It can be businessmen or other people who have to travel a lot for their jobs, people who have far-flung families, or ex-pats of one country.

Region-locking is bs. Companies always want globalisation to work in their favor, but do not want it to work in the favor of individuals, and I am for one sick of it. They have no consideration for the complexities of modernday life, and make it as awkward as possible. This is the case of mainly entertainment: games in general, DVDs, etc., but it also affects what cards you can use to purchase things online.

If they want to have a truly global economy, they need to realize that it is not a one-way street. Companies move and so do people, especially between the US and Asia, Europe and the US, etc.

I was going to play PS2 and keep up from time-to-time with my EQ2 subscription, but no longer. SOE have already tried region-locking once before and it sucked badly. If I sub to a game it is to have fun, not have an exercise of irritation.

/rant off

I think there may be more people that fall into the categories you listed than SOE anticipated. I see this as yet another poor business decision on their part.


  drbaltazar

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/28/07
Posts: 7951

4/07/12 9:39:08 AM#59

another gpotato clone!regional gaming suck!

  fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

Joined: 11/10/06
Posts: 2722

4/13/12 12:13:40 PM#60
Originally posted by ace80k
Originally posted by fivoroth

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Amazing really. Forgive me for my incoming rant, I apologize in advance. I haven't been playing any MMOs recently, I do plan to play GW2 on release, but reading posts on these on this website has given me..a bit more insight as to the mindset of the MMO playing community. Not that I didn't know before, but I definitely have a more clear understanding now.

Earlier this week EA was voted the "worst company in America" http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/120405/ea-named-worst-company-america-consumerist-website. Now we have people spewing off about SoE. You can probably add EVERY other MMO company in the mix at some point in time.

Whether you guys agree or disagree with SoEs decision to do this, you have to realize, SoE is a "big business" company. They're not going to always do things players agree with. No big company will. I think it's time for many of you to grow up, get over the "me me me" mentality, and realize things won't always go your way. Considering the cost to produce AAA MMO games these days, big business is, sadly, the future of MMO gaming.

SOE is not a big business company. It may be big by MMO standards but it is a small company by gaming industry standards. The MMO industry is very small. A lot of people (gamers too) don't even know what an MMO is.

I don't care about MMOs, I don't care about MMO companies. For all I care they can all go to hell. I stopped playing them a long time ago, however, I do enjoy trolling these forums. MMOs are dumbed down games which are boring beyond belief. Once you've played one, you've seen them all.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search