Trending Games | Wizard101 | Crowfall | Skyforge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,947,753 Users Online:0
Games:778  Posts:6,369,706
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/08/04)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Everquest II Forum » The Tavern (General) » Sony region locking EQ2 (and other games...)

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
94 posts found
  just1opinion

Smart-Alek

2/26/12 12:19:02 PM#21

EQ2 is one of my two favorite MMOs (UO being the other one).  Of all the things Smed and SoE have done over the years, I think THIS (along with SWG NGE) is the WORST....the absolute worst.  I don't think it serves the player base well and it's just one more smack in the face to the loyal player.

I'm pretty disgusted this time around.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

teakbois

Apprentice Member

2/26/12 12:21:05 PM#22
Originally posted by Netspook

Btw, tkoreaper:

Don't bother quoting Smed, most of us knows that the man cannot be trusted. Google it if you need to know why.

How about a quote from the CEO of proseiben, which seems to indicate that Smed was telling the truth:

Before weekend we will not have an answer. Sorry about it but the Technicans needs to figure out things first.
If the idea works out we will have no barriers for everyone but we need to see and wait what is possible.

Before abandon and run away I would wait as the idea we have in mind really solves a lot.

tkoreaper

Apprentice Member

2/27/12 6:05:08 PM#23

For all the naysayers:

"SOE and ProSieben worked throughout the weekend to develop a plan that will allow our players to access and play on any server regardless of where they are in the world. Our community is our top priority and rest assured, all of your concerns have been heard.

We continue to work together with ProSieben and appreciate your patience as we work around the clock to work out critical technical details. We will share more information as soon as possible."

SOE isn't the same company they once were... their recent actions, this and many before it, proved this. I'm well aware most of you are just too stubborn to realise, let alone accept this, but it is in fact true.
  Nadia

Tipster

2/27/12 11:25:15 PM#24

thanks for the update

Smed pulled thru for the mac players of EQ

- allowing them to keep their outdated client, when f2p goes live March 16th

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339764/Smed-is-offering-Mac-players-a-last-chance-.html

hope they can pull some strings for EQ2 too

rojoArcueid

Elite Member

"It is double pleasure to deceive the deceiver". - Niccolo Machiavelli

2/27/12 11:31:52 PM#25
Originally posted by tkoreaper

MY GOD PEOPLE! DO SOME RESEARCH.

Read my last post in this thread... ALSO:

"Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games's service and will not have access to U.S. servers. However, existing players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts. "

Again, nothing is set in stone yet.

Do some research? Right back at you, since you're obviously believing everything Smed feeds you.

Again, google is your friend if you don't know what I'm talking about. There's dozens of examples. Many of them are quoted here on mmorpg.com, especially by the SWG veterans.

Edit:

Btw, not all of us are currently playing on US servers, so that doesn't mean shit for us.

That wasn't from Smed... that was directly from the FAQ regarding this partnership.

so it was in some way from smed.

tkoreaper

Apprentice Member

2/28/12 2:41:26 AM#26
Originally posted by rojo6934

MY GOD PEOPLE! DO SOME RESEARCH.

Read my last post in this thread... ALSO:

"Under the new partnership between SOE and ProSiebenSat.1 Games, European players of the above mentioned SOE games will be able to play via ProSiebenSat.1 Games's service and will not have access to U.S. servers. However, existing players in Europe that have played on U.S. servers before the transition will be allowed to continue playing on those servers through their SOE accounts. "

Again, nothing is set in stone yet.

Do some research? Right back at you, since you're obviously believing everything Smed feeds you.

Again, google is your friend if you don't know what I'm talking about. There's dozens of examples. Many of them are quoted here on mmorpg.com, especially by the SWG veterans.

Edit:

Btw, not all of us are currently playing on US servers, so that doesn't mean shit for us.

That wasn't from Smed... that was directly from the FAQ regarding this partnership.

so it was in some way from smed.

It could have been or it could have been from ProSieben... What difference does it make? Things ARE like I said... being fixed. The recent news and progression proves this... Time to take off your tinfoil hat.

tkoreaper

Apprentice Member

2/28/12 8:50:08 PM#27

Smedley - "We've come up with a plan to allow ALL players to play on any servers they want. More details to follow."

Orphes

Novice Member

You make, you buy, you die!

2/29/12 9:56:25 AM#28

PSS1 is probably the last nail in the coffin for all SOE games.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

tkoreaper

Apprentice Member

2/29/12 11:16:48 AM#29
Originally posted by Orphes

They shutdown the creation of their game "The Agency".

Closed its Denver, Seattle, and Tucson studios and eliminated 205 jobs.

Transferred said studios' projects over to its San Diego HQ.

This and this new partnership is all part of their "strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce" to "focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games."  What is so wrong here? Since when do companies get criticised for trying the improve the quality of their work? The problems with the partnership are being fixed so there's nothing left to complain about... yet, it's still going on.

Orphes

Novice Member

You make, you buy, you die!

2/29/12 12:02:38 PM#30

This and this new partnership is all part of their "strategic decision to reduce costs and streamline its global workforce" to "focus development resources on delivering two new MMOs based on its renowned PlanetSide and EverQuest properties, while also maintaining its current portfolio of online games."  What is so wrong here? Since when do companies get criticised for trying the improve the quality of their work? The problems with the partnership are being fixed so there's nothing left to complain about... yet, it's still going on.

Ofcourse my opinion is only based upon my own (heh not shure of the correct word) prejudgement.

Stomach feeling and I believe that the cable tv bransch is the most evil there is, and that Smedley/SOE in comparison is... well look at a cute My Little Pony meme and you have it.

The last dealing I had with a company in that bransch they upright told me I that there was nothing to do when they said I hade something silly like 3months left on my contract, even if I proved him wrong by reading out from their own contract where it said I had 1 month. Not until I made him realise that the other option/interpretation was that one of their employee actually had impersonating me and signed me up for a 3 month contract after my last month (without my concent).

And seeing that PSS1 actually had a plan for reserving the right to delete characters after 90 days...

The culture is to different, and those companies PSS1 lives on making people bound to them amongst other things. And that culture will not mix with gamers.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
"You have the right not to be killed"

Netspook

Advanced Member

2/29/12 5:22:01 PM#31

"What is so wrong here?"

Lol... A couple of companies spoonfeed you with lots of marketing mumbojumbo and you swallow everything with hook, line and sinker. That's actually the wrost part of all. Or maybe you're some undercover poster associated with either SOE or Pro7?

"Improve the quality of their work"

What the heck is being improved by this? Tell me, I don't see ANY improvements here. Neither does anyone else, appearently (check link below).

"Nothing left to complain about...yet, it's still going on"

Yes, it's still going on. And there are reasons for that. If you want to educade yourself further on why, I advice you to check one of the threads on the EQ2 forum. It has ALMOST 200 PAGES almost EXCLUSIVELY NEGATIVE to this deal.

Link: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?&topic_id=515195

(This isn't the only thread on this matter)

And "being fixed"? We don't know HOW they're "fixing" this, but it seems Europeans will be forced to deal with Pro7, since they will almost certainly handle accounts, payments, etc. Do you know ANYTHING about this company, and the reputation they have here in Europe???

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you. So tell me, what's your agenda?

Nadia

Tipster

3/01/12 3:25:27 AM#32

And "being fixed"? We don't know HOW they're "fixing" this, but it seems Europeans will be forced to deal with Pro7, since they will almost certainly handle accounts, payments, etc. Do you know ANYTHING about this company, and the reputation they have here in Europe???

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you.

I agree with you

SOE tried this before with UbiSoft and it didnt go that smoothly, I don't like their decision try it again

MurlockDance

Apprentice Member

3/10/12 2:40:12 AM#33
Originally posted by Nadia

I agree with you

SOE tried this before with UbiSoft and it didnt go that smoothly, I don't like their decision try it again

I so agree with you here. And ouch with respect to this deal. I have been away from the forums and haven't checked my email account for a while that my SOE account is associated with. This is a nasty surprise indeed. However, I think it doesn't affect me much since I made my characters on a US server at launch. At that time, Crushbone was one of the servers designated for EU players and I have been there ever since.

Sucks though to divide up the community. I never really liked that in the first place. I also think a change this late for a game like EQ2 is a bit of shooting one's self in the foot, because in the end they could lose annoyed players by this: it is just one extra step that can foul up the smooth running of services available to their subscribers and that is never a good idea.

I have never dealt with ProSieben, but past deals between EU and US companies have always been negative for the players: Codemasters and Turbine, Mythic and GOA, SOE and UbiSoft, etc.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

erictlewis

Advanced Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

3/19/12 10:27:48 AM#34

"What is so wrong here?"

Lol... A couple of companies spoonfeed you with lots of marketing mumbojumbo and you swallow everything with hook, line and sinker. That's actually the wrost part of all. Or maybe you're some undercover poster associated with either SOE or Pro7?

What the heck is being improved by this? Tell me, I don't see ANY improvements here. Neither does anyone else, appearently (check link below).

Yes, it's still going on. And there are reasons for that. If you want to educade yourself further on why, I advice you to check one of the threads on the EQ2 forum. It has ALMOST 200 PAGES almost EXCLUSIVELY NEGATIVE to this deal.

Btw, it's bloody easy for you to sit over there in Texas and defend everything about this. You will never have to deal with Pro7 at all. We who lives in Europe are the ones who WILL be affected by this, not you. So tell me, what's your agenda?

It is not just folks on the Euro servers who will be affected, its all of eq2, I am not sure why folks think we in the US will not be affected, some of us play on euro servers due to work hours. Watch out that thread is being heavly moderated.    I would een say that there might be a dev or two posting false information with their personal account trying to calm folks down.

Netspook

Advanced Member

3/24/12 8:45:07 PM#35
Originally posted by erictlewis

"What is so wrong here?"

It is not just folks on the Euro servers who will be affected, its all of eq2, I am not sure why folks think we in the US will not be affected, some of us play on euro servers due to work hours. Watch out that thread is being heavly moderated.    I would een say that there might be a dev or two posting false information with their personal account trying to calm folks down.

SOE will still handle accounts etc for US players. And, let's assume Smed told the truth for once in his life, and that everyone *will* be able to play on any server they want to:

US players are NOT affected, then.

So the ONLY effect this has for you, is that a lot of players seems to have left, leaving the servers emptier than before.

Btw, you are correct about the heavy moderation on that thred. The mods are deleting like crazy, but that's all SOE is doing there - no info at all in weeks now.

Tardcore

Apprentice Member

"A strange game. The only winning move is not to post."

3/24/12 8:53:22 PM#36

Well from years of previous experiance with SOE's track record, I feel its safe to say that no matter what they decide to do, they cannot help but turn this into a massive clusterf*ck.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

3/26/12 2:16:09 PM#37

All I can say is that SOE are stupid f*cks. How a company can be so dumb and retarded is beyond me? IP locking really?

I seriously do not understand how a company like Sony can keep this sh*t called Sony Online Entertainment. I've never had any gripes with the Sony brand but SOE are just pissing me off.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

jtcgs

Advanced Member

3/26/12 2:21:26 PM#38

So what, Sony proved they dont really care about keeping EQ2 alive for long by using the pay trap version of F2P.

The fact that real F2P games like Atlantica has far more players than quality games like EQ2 and Conan proves companies that use the pay trap model just plain dont know what they are doing in the F2P market.

It just doesnt work, if people were willing to pay to play your game they would ALREADY be doing it...you are not targetting people who play F2P games with a trap model. Its all about microtransactions...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

winter

Advanced Member

3/27/12 8:21:09 AM#39

wOW THIS IS BAD. aLWAYS LIKE BEING ABLE TO PLAY eq2 WITH FRIENDS OVERSEAS ESPECIALLY WITH THE WEIRD HOURS I PLAY.

Nadia

Tipster

3/31/12 11:22:49 PM#40

updated FAQ posted 03/30

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?start=1&topic_id=516733

sounds like this wont be implemented in EQ2 for a few months

http://eq2wire.com/2012/03/30/brasse-talks-updated-prosiebensat-1-faq/#more-13264

A great many details are still being worked out, and we have a significant amount of time left – we haven’t even determined a transition date for EQII yet.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search