Trending Games | The Crew | Elder Scrolls Online | Lichdom: Battlemage | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,844,348 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,221,733
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/08/04)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Everquest II Forum » The Tavern (General) » The failure of EverQuest 2 really saddens me the most.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
92 posts found
  Josh007CL

Novice Member

1/13/13 8:11:00 PM#21
Originally posted by ArChWind
The first video I every saw was Deathfist Citadel. Well then when I get all the way to Deathfist Citadel I find the game didn’t even come close to the video there was no gate to open but a zone line.

Anyway,

Played from release up to LU13 at which time they decided to change the mechanics of the game and the way the classes functioned. With this update, I now had to re-learn my class because they swung the nerf bat HARD.

I was only out for about 2 months but I was still a bit put off with the changes. Slowly but surely they fixed the game up (As you see it, made it Wowified but to many they made it MUCH better) UNTIL.. LU19 which totally changed the entire class system of course at which many got really ticked and quit again including me.

I was forgiving though and came back again after a couple months and played for sometime until one day I got BORED and decided to take a break it was right when they added a cash store but that was different reason. For many it was a bad decision by SOE to add a cash shop to subscriber based game.

After 2 months I returned and stayed active until last November. The reason I quit this time was, I decided that paying 40 buck an expansion every 6 months to a year and then paying a subscription of 20 bucks a month for full access was not worth the value of playing something else.

SOE is killing EQ2 no one else is because they are gouging the subscribers.

I will get over it in a few months again but still I hate on em once in awhile. :)

OH,, BTW did you know you can turn off the quest givers quills and actually customize the UI so you never have to see one including the mini map? You can customize the UI to the point all those dumb downed features are not visible?

I definitely remember early in the game them changing the classes around and even getting rid of subclass quests and instead you just started as the class you selected. It was a change but did not ruin the game. Honestly what I think ruined it for some of us (I know the servers are high) is the nerfing of the game + the gouging through the cash shop and subscription. Sure, who doesn't like to make money? But when you're focusing on a in-game shop more than adding regular content + charging for xpacs + charging a subscription this is what pisses me off. They need to pick a route better route like B2P + Shop or Subscription based without a shop. Should not be both.

Telondariel

Hard Core Member

1/13/13 8:38:01 PM#22
Originally posted by Josh007CL
The first video I every saw was Deathfist Citadel. Well then when I get all the way to Deathfist Citadel I find the game didn’t even come close to the video there was no gate to open but a zone line.

Anyway,

Played from release up to LU13 at which time they decided to change the mechanics of the game and the way the classes functioned. With this update, I now had to re-learn my class because they swung the nerf bat HARD.

I was only out for about 2 months but I was still a bit put off with the changes. Slowly but surely they fixed the game up (As you see it, made it Wowified but to many they made it MUCH better) UNTIL.. LU19 which totally changed the entire class system of course at which many got really ticked and quit again including me.

I was forgiving though and came back again after a couple months and played for sometime until one day I got BORED and decided to take a break it was right when they added a cash store but that was different reason. For many it was a bad decision by SOE to add a cash shop to subscriber based game.

After 2 months I returned and stayed active until last November. The reason I quit this time was, I decided that paying 40 buck an expansion every 6 months to a year and then paying a subscription of 20 bucks a month for full access was not worth the value of playing something else.

I will get over it in a few months again but still I hate on em once in awhile. :)

OH,, BTW did you know you can turn off the quest givers quills and actually customize the UI so you never have to see one including the mini map? You can customize the UI to the point all those dumb downed features are not visible?

I definitely remember early in the game them changing the classes around and even getting rid of subclass quests and instead you just started as the class you selected. It was a change but did not ruin the game. Honestly what I think ruined it for some of us (I know the servers are high) is the nerfing of the game + the gouging through the cash shop and subscription. Sure, who doesn't like to make money? But when you're focusing on a in-game shop more than adding regular content + charging for xpacs + charging a subscription this is what pisses me off. They need to pick a route better route like B2P + Shop or Subscription based without a shop. Should not be both.

I think you are off base on the gouging remark.  Nothing in the Marketplace is required for anything.  It is (mostly) cosmetic fluff like mounts, gear, weapons, and housing, with some time saving options like xp boost potions and research reducers.  Granted, for the best looking mounts and prestige housing you will pay almost $20, but they are vanity items.  You can quest for free mounts in-game, and regular housing is readily available in-game as well.  Veteran rewards will give you potion packs for free if you've been playing for long enough to earn them.

Is there a lot of focus on the Marketplace?  Sure.  Its a huge money maker for them.  Has the game content been abandoned with all the focus going to the Marketplace?  Well, sometimes it seems like it, with the majority of promo ads being Marketplace and Station Cash focused.  However, game content is delivered on a regular basis and weekly improvements are made through updates. 

Trust me, I was a very vocal critic of the Marketplace in its first year.  After a while, it became evident that it really is just an optional area to buy from if you want to.  The core game hasn't been abandoned either.  The team is putting out content all the time and fixing (and sometimes breaking) issues that come up.  You can ignore the Marketplace entirely and it will not affecet your gameplay at all.  Even at "endgame" nothing in the Marketplace is required.  The people that do buy items pump in additional revenue that helps improve the game. 

So, there is balance, and no one is being gouged.  If you buy something its entirely voluntary and not required, so if you feel like its too much ("gouging") then keep your money and spend it elsewhere.

ArChWind

Hard Core Member

1/13/13 8:42:31 PM#23
Originally posted by Telondariel
Originally posted by Josh007CL

Anyway,

I think you are off base on the gouging remark.  Nothing in the Marketplace is required for anything.  It is (mostly) cosmetic fluff like mounts, gear, weapons, and housing, with some time saving options like xp boost potions and research reducers.  Granted, for the best looking mounts and prestige housing you will pay almost $20, but they are vanity items.  You can quest for free mounts in-game, and regular housing is readily available in-game as well.  Veteran rewards will give you potion packs for free if you've been playing for long enough to earn them.

Is there a lot of focus on the Marketplace?  Sure.  Its a huge money maker for them.  Has the game content been abandoned with all the focus going to the Marketplace?  Well, sometimes it seems like it, with the majority of promo ads being Marketplace and Station Cash focused.  However, game content is delivered on a regular basis and weekly improvements are made through updates. 

Trust me, I was a very vocal critic of the Marketplace in its first year.  After a while, it became evident that it really is just an optional area to buy from if you want to.  The core game hasn't been abandoned either.  The team is putting out content all the time and fixing (and sometimes breaking) issues that come up.  You can ignore the Marketplace entirely and it will not affecet your gameplay at all.  Even at "endgame" nothing in the Marketplace is required.  The people that do buy items pump in additional revenue that helps improve the game. 

So, there is balance, and no one is being gouged.  If you buy something its entirely voluntary and not required, so if you feel like its too much ("gouging") then keep your money and spend it elsewhere.

They added healing pots and buff pots but that was for PvE only and only for solo play. The mercs added you bought were suppose to be better than the ones in the agme but I am not sure that worked as intended so yes they did add a bit of pay to win there.

Hrimnir

Hard Core Member

1/13/13 9:03:30 PM#24
Originally posted by tixylix

*snip*

Edit: I'm also pissed off SOE dumbed down crafting in EQ2, it sucks now......

Honeslty man, you were wearing some serious rose colored glasses back then.  I too pre ordered EQ2, i was 21 at the time it came out and played it for almost a year after it came out.  Were there some fantastically great things about it? Yes. Many of the things you listed (crafting for example, awesome cities, etc).

But the bad FAR FAR outweighed the good.  For example.  Level limitations to enter zones.  This COMPLETELY hindered any kind of exploration.  You couldnt leave your first zone area until you were almost level 20.  Then you got to go to one new zone, etc.

The graphics engine was extremely poorly optimized.  I spent $1000 on a new computer and $360 dollars on a new GeForce 6800GT specifically to play EQ2 with and at max setting i would regularly drop into the teens as far as framerate.

Thats just off the top of my head. There were tons and tons of issues with the game and as a result i quit to play WOW (despite not wanting) because ALL of my friends, and i do mean ALL of my friends quit EQ2 way ahead of me because of the issues.

Now, the changes they made in the 1-3 years afterwards made the game SO SO SO SO SO SO much better.  I actually came back and played it for another 2.5  from late 2006-2008 ish until Age of Conan came out.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

1/13/13 9:13:13 PM#25

The biggest problem with EQ2 was I feel its desire to just push out everquest 1 without really doing major expanding from it. It competed with WoW which, lets face it, wasn't exactly the smoothest launch ever. I really think the big issue came to...

1.) Marketting

2.) Namebrand

3.) Graphics

Blizzard itself at this point was recognized for its Warcraft 3, Starcraft, and Diablo 2 games. It sparked interest from non MMO players which helped to build population up. This was further increased by how they marketed the game out.  The graphic style of WoW wasn't astonishing (though it was nice at the time of release) but it had graphics that really snapped, using a particular art style to help make a game look slick without needing heavy graphics work done. This likely drew in more wandering eyes during WoW and EQ2's early years.

What really helped to put a nail in the coffen is Blizzard pushed for more casual friendly gameplay (which truthfully wasn't that bad, in many ways it was more taking out tedious parts of the game without trivializing the gameplay and experience) which in TBC ended up launching it above Everquest 2. The expansion and the patches before it helped to bridge the gap in which MMos were for the hardcore, providing an 'easier' time so to speak for new players and just really as mentioned above cutting out tedious gameplay aspects that other games had and making it more about gameplay then spending 2 hours before raiding stocking up and making food just to do 1 night of raids.

Once you get established numbers, it makes it quite difficult to surpass a game. Ignoring the very iffy F2P model of Everquest 2 right now, it has some great gameplay mechanics still in play and has a class system I actually really like with the AA. I just think its desire to be complex ended up being a downfall. A game needs to keep the middle ground, which if you see WoW currently, that middle ground is being slipped on and face planted right now as the numbers drop very quickly even after an expansion due to both content feeling stale and the game itself having went off the scales in terms of being 'idiot proof' so to speak.

winter

Advanced Member

1/13/13 9:39:38 PM#26
Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Loved EQ2 at release and up until about Echos of Faydwer. It's pretty depressing to think about what they've turned the game into.

Hopefully EQ Next won't end up the same way.

I have no faith in SOE. They took Eq2 which had a decent following and dumbed it down way past stupidity. No player was ever saying stats like Dex and Strength are too hard to understand pls do away with them. Yet SOE decided that removing all those stats and having just a health and power stat was the way to go.

If you check what they did with SWG it was the exact samething. No one was saying I want all these choices and options removed and be giving a "more Iconic" Han Solo cookie cutter class, yet once again SOE who knows way more what there players wanted again went and slashed their own wrists.

EQ next won't be any different. SOE is giving mouth service saying what the players want to hear. They will run the demographics with the PR people and the Suites to see how they can make a super casual farmville sandbox that probably will have player housing and guilds (as EQ2 has) but anything complex, Deep, or hard to balance will be tossed to the way side as they seek the short attention span of the ultra casual heard like masses as their player base.

To the point SOE's maim history of improving or refining its games has always been to streamline them by removing features and making them easier (dumbing them down) so they are playable to the masses ie 8 years old and up.

If your happy playing the same game as the avergage American 8 y/o (can't speak for 8 y/p's in other countrys) Then SOE is the Developer for you.

eccoton

Advanced Member

1/14/13 5:30:09 AM#27

I use to post here at mmorpg and the EQ2 forum all the time. I stopped awhile back because of all the attacks and trolling of my threads. There was even a few people that claimed I was actually John Smedly. I got tired of that stuff but not EQ2. I have some problems with SOE mainly because of what they did to SWG. However I have no problem with EQ2. Not sure how many of you have played EQ2 since day one, I have. I have seen and worked with all the changes. EQ2 is not a failure. It is better then ever. I think the op states what really happened to him. He grew up during the time of EQ2, I did not. He changed a lot during the time frame he talks about so his feelings about the games he played also changed. I was 45 years old when I started playing. I also started mmos in 1996 with Meridian 59, at the age of 36. You do not change as much then when you are in your teens and twenties so your tastes and opinions are a bit more stable. I have learned to play the game as is not as what I want it to be or what it was. If a games changes in a negative way for my taste I simply leave as I did with swg-nge. I can not tell you how much I loved SWG but I just moved on.  

EQ2 has changed and moslty for the better. I do not agree with all the changes. No other game has held me for over 8 years and believe me I tried them all. WOW is the closest with 7 years. If SWG had not changed and was still available I would still be playing that. I am not sure how long EQ2 has but I hope to make my 10 year veteran reward. SOE has made some huge mistakes but they have also delivered a ton of entertainment to me and I doubt that I am the only one who feels this way. Just play an mmo for what it is not what you want it to be or simply move on. If you do that no game will sadden you. EQ2 is a wonderful mmo and is still alive and more then that it is fun. 

Phry

Elite Member

1/14/13 5:53:18 AM#28
I think the biggest hurdle that EQ2 faced, was that it wasnt really a successor to Everquest, but then, SOE didnt actually create Everquest, they bought it, and then went all expansionitis with it, never seen a game with so many expansions, and its something they also tried to do with Everquest 2, the problems in Everquest 2 were effectively there even in the beta, which i did try, and later when it actually released, but at no time did the game have that Everquest 'feel'  despite everything they attempted with it, it just wasnt Everquest, but it was trying to be, only not in a good way. Perhaps Everquest 2's ultimate failure was inevitable, its not so much that the game had lost direction, but that the direction was never really there in the first place, and, again, it was a game that relied heavily on instances, something Everquest itself did not. But what ultimately hurt Everquest 2 the most, was really the gameplay, they would really have been better off just copying Everquests gameplay, but in trying to create something new, they managed to ruin what they had, it just didnt work, and several reworkings of the system later, it still doesnt. It would have helped if they had understood the original more, but after they gradually ruined Everquest from planes of power onwards, although personally i saw the writing on the wall when shadows of luclin released, i have no confidence in SOE's ability to create a credible MMO based on Everquest in any form.
  Knytta

Elite Member

1/14/13 9:14:16 AM#29

It is true that the development team did not want to call it Everquest 2, and the game probably had been more sucessfull if they had called it something else. But nevertheless the old EQ gameplay style is a thing from the past, regardless how fun you thought it was (and I did) when you were younger and had a lot of time and everyone played EQ because there was not anything else, that kind of game is simply not marketable anymore. Had there been a easier and more accessible alternative to EQ in the heyday, EQ would never had become as big as it was.

Instead of attacking a game you obsviously do not play anymore why not talk about the hard core old style game you currently play? It will be interesting to see how EQ next turns out, but that is for 2014 most likely.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarca

Doogiehowser

Novice Member

1/14/13 9:16:45 AM#30
Who knew a game could be up and running with 9 expansions for 8 years and still be a failure. I guess you learn something new everyday on mmorpg.com.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

1/14/13 9:23:23 AM#31

EoF EQ2 was a much better game than launch EQ2

I dont agree with a lot fo the changes they made, but then end result was fine.

Its suffered a bit in the Smokejumper era for sure, but its still better than any other themepark.

Nadia

Elite Member

1/14/13 9:38:20 AM#32
Originally posted by ArChWind The mercs added you bought were suppose to be better than the ones in the agme but I am not sure that worked as intended so yes they did add a bit of pay to win there.

are you referring to "COE Collectors edition" mercs? 

because mercs were never sold seperately

Camaro68

Apprentice Member

1/14/13 5:47:28 PM#33
Originally posted by Knytta

It is true that the development team did not want to call it Everquest 2, and the game probably had been more sucessfull if they had called it something else.

I don't know about all that but I do think they did a piss poor job of tying EQ2 to Everquest.  If you want to appeal to players of Everquest you need to make sure SOME places in the game resemble the Norrath that we'd grown attached to and had fond memories of.

Instead of doing that they rebuilt everything from scratch and none of it even remotely resembled the Norrath we had called home for years. 

I really hope the EQ Next team realizes how indelible some of those old towns and landmarks were and do the smart thing by simply upgrading the graphical detail without radically departing from the original designs.

Slappy1

Novice Member

1/14/13 6:08:14 PM#34

I think EQ2 to this day is a very solid mmo.To me it was just the fact of releasing at the same time (within 2 weeks) of WOW.Once that game started to grow,EQ2 started making changes and was more solo friendly and easier.It ended up being too much like WOW,when it should've went more it's own path.However they probably retained more subs by becoming more like WOW.

If EQ2 would have came out somewhere between Lotro and Rift,thing's may have been much brighter for them.The game to me is still gob's of fun and I love the crafting.Just seem's like there was wasted potential here.

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

Nadia

Elite Member

1/14/13 6:59:16 PM#35
Originally posted by Camaro68

It is true that the development team did not want to call it Everquest 2, and the game probably had been more sucessfull if they had called it something else.

I don't know about all that but I do think they did a piss poor job of tying EQ2 to Everquest.  If you want to appeal to players of Everquest you need to make sure SOME places in the game resemble the Norrath that we'd grown attached to and had fond memories of.

Instead of doing that they rebuilt everything from scratch and none of it even remotely resembled the Norrath we had called home for years. 

I really hope the EQ Next team realizes how indelible some of those old towns and landmarks were and do the smart thing by simply upgrading the graphical detail without radically departing from the original designs.

i agree with you that EQ2 felt disconnected from Everquest

there were connections w lore and heritage quests - but EQ2 largely felt like a new mmo world

personally, I didnt mind the new direction but it was a turnoff to some EQ fans

Telondariel

Hard Core Member

1/14/13 8:34:00 PM#36
Originally posted by Nadia
Originally posted by Camaro68

i agree with you that EQ2 felt disconnected from Everquest

there were connections w lore and heritage quests - but EQ2 largely felt like a new mmo world

personally, I didnt mind the new direction but it was a turnoff to some EQ fans

I didn't mind that the landscape was different.  There was a cataclysm and 500 years of recovery after that event.  The world was radically  damaged, torn apart, and cities were destroyed.  There was a lot of lore that explained everything to tie it all together. 

What I do dislike are the silly Marketplace items that really have no place in the game whatsoever.  I suppose that was my #2 gripe with the SC system.  In reality though, it has such a minor impact that its easily ignored.

I really, really hope that EQNext works out.  Its too bad we have to wait until later this year for Fan Faire.  My biggest concern is that SmokeJumper has had his paws in it from the ground up.  I have fundamental issues with him.  He's more of a features guy, in a money-grubbing greasy Walmart way.  /sigh   Only thing to do is wait and see.

tixylix

Novice Member

OP  1/15/13 5:04:24 AM#37

I think if you have to say is EverQuest 2 a more complete game now, then that is true as EQ2 was rushed to launch missing most features and was a complete disaster of a launch that like a week later got forgotten about due to WoW being much more complete.

However like SWG, PS and EQ all games SOE driven into the ground like a year or two later, it was the original concept that I buy into. I play a game I originally like and then SOE always has to then completely change it in the wrong direction. EQ2 is not a successful game, it didn't sell very well, it never had many subscribers after the first month and I have my doubts about how many people actually spend money on their F2P model that is so restrictive you'd rather just not play. 

I loved the original concept back in beta, it filled me with such hope, it was mind blowning back then just how good EQ2 was graphically. Sadly though they launched with like 20-40 servers and after a month they were dead, I found myself grinding on crabs and stuff by the beach most the time because I couldn't find groups. However in beta when it was just one server and people were excited for the game, you could get groups all the time and it was the most amazing grouping experience I've ever had in an MMO. It's that promise of a beta that puts people in a mind set that they can allow these things that are wrong with the game, however once launched and people don't want to play and quit, suddenly all that promise is gone and it becomes a depressing experience.

The other thing I don't understand is I loved the original art style of the game back in the alpha shots of like 2002 and then at some point it changed and it didn't look nearly as appealing. I still liked the look of it being a more realistic looking fantasy game, it was much more gritty and a darker more frightening place to be than most fantasy games. Weird things like making the character models so ugly, there was a patch before launch in beta that made Human females look like they've been taking drugs, they never fixed that weird drugged up eye look they've had and still have. They put the Asian models in there but they just look ridiculous..... I don't get why they cannot spend the time to redo some of the character models. 

That though is SOE all over, they'd rather rush out new poor content than take the time to create something meaningful. They don't seem to get that an MMO is a service, it isn't just a game, the whole game needs upkeep, you cannot just focus on slapping newer stuff over the old.

I don't like how it's a solo game now, all they ever had to do was merge servers but that time is gone now. I don't like how they got rid of the death penalty, that made things scary, it gave the game tension and made your heart pump, that is what makes combat exciting. Now it is a bore where I can solo 10 mobs at once and if I die, whocares? It is no good putting challenging stuff at the end game in the form of Raiding because I'll never get to it as I'm so bored of the game being so easy that I quit way before then. 

What makes Dayz? Perma Death. Now I'm not saying every game needs it or needs a harsh death penalty as games like TF2 would suck if you lost all your items every time you died. However certain games bennefit from it and EQ2 was one of them, without it I just find stuff boring. I'm constantly being rewarded and it means nothing as it wasn't hard to achieve. I remember when a chest drop was an amazing time where everyone in your group couldn't wait to see what was dropped. Now for one you#d be on your own but it's like loot drops over and over and over and it becomes boring to the point you ignore it now. They simplified crafting too which is another gripe because it used to be time consuming and rewarding to make stuff, now it's so bloated and worthless because the process is easy. It used to feel like a whole other part of the game you could devote so much time to, it doesn't have that impact any more.

I don't like the new music, it's very generic, the older stuff had such a distinct stuff. It felt dark, eerie but often magical and it reminded me more of like listening to real classical music. I could imagine it being in the Tudor period or something, where as now the music has changed into that boring generic fantasy drone we have in games today. 

I don't like how the art style as gone to this very cartoony and more unrealistic fantasy setting that like Warhammer and Warcraft has made popular. I miss that more realistic style that even EverQuest very crudely had as well. The game has lost that dark gritty look it used to have, it's lost the fear of exploring the game world. It is like I loved the feel of Oblivion, I know a lot of people didn't but it felt much more real, I loved the whole cult story and setting. That didn't exist in Skyrim or Morrowind which felt very alien like and that is how EQ2 has gone now.

For me in the beta I was young, I probably had unrealistic dreams of the game staying in beta another year and SOE working with the community to get it to a place they wanted. I had dreams of them removing the doors in the cities (which recently happen but the new look and music sucks) and traveling by real boats through the water ways. I had dreams of not blicking on bells and having boat travel which the beta did have at some parts before it was patched out. I wanted to travel from island to island like WoWs boat ride between the two conts so it felt much more real. Instead SOE went the other direction for the most part and rushed the game to release with not even having mail in it. 

Also what happened to all that amazing armour and clothing that was in the alpha? All that seemed to go by the time the beta hit and we had like 2 or 3 sets of armour and I remember that never changing for years.

I so wish someone other than SOE was in charge of this game and could have taken it down the right direction. I'll miss the heavy grouped based MMO it used to be and hate the solo WoW clone it has become. 

tixylix

Novice Member

OP  1/15/13 5:10:35 AM#38
I have to say also why weren't the sound effects ever fixed? It always sounds like they were recorded in an echoey studio, they never sound convincing and the footsteps are so loud.
  Nadia

Elite Member

1/15/13 5:23:27 AM#39
I have to say also why weren't the sound effects ever fixed? It always sounds like they were recorded in an echoey studio, they never sound convincing and the footsteps are so loud.

much of that is customizable in game options

i agree by default, footsteps are too loud but you can soften them or not have them at all

options > sound > advanced > max footstep distance

tixylix

Novice Member

OP  1/15/13 5:36:53 PM#40
Originally posted by Nadia

much of that is customizable in game options

i agree by default, footsteps are too loud but you can soften them or not have them at all

options > sound > advanced > max footstep distance

I know it is a small thing but it is something that has a large impact. 

It's another thing though that makes me wonder how soon after a failed launch do SOE give up on their games? Maybe they don't and they just have idiots in charge of their games, I know they have or had the producer of Planetside in charge of EQ2... I mean wasn't releasing an untested poor expansion 3 months after launch, the bending and BFRs warning enough?

I can only funnel the blame down to Smedley though, he's in charge and even though lots of games have started out being these innovative potential filled titles, they quickly become anything but. The odd thing I find is the community always see it and SOE don't listen, they just go for a market that doesn't exist, rather than the one they're hitting. I mean EVE was never a massive hit, however CCP knew their market and they caused it to grow. To this day they're the only major MMO developer at least that has managed their game properly, they've just stuck to the original idea. They've had failures like Walking in stations, however they've accepted that and focused on what people want. SOE however cannot accept their failures and then try to build upon the failures that no one wanted. 

You know what I would have done in SOES shoes?

- Seen BFRs didn't work in tested like EVERYONE SAID ON THE FUCKING FORUMS.

- Luclin and PoP wouldn't have even happened.

- EQ2 would have been given more time, which proper management of older games would have allowed for.

- SWG, pushed it unti November 2003 so major features would have been in like mounts and player cities. Never added Jedi until the game is stable, not caused JTLS to destroy the ground game, no CU, no NGE etc etc.

- PS - no CC and no BFRs

- DCUO - Maybe like launch the game with a working UI and content?

It's so obvious and it isn't like things you wouldn't have know till after release of these things, players always complain about them on forums. Planetside 2 is the latest thing about how base design sucks, it's not balanced what so ever, no meta game, too many servers, the hex system sucks, weapons are so boring etc etc.

Seriously SOE take a page out of CCPs book.

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search