Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Marvel Heroes | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,902,096 Users Online:0
Games:753  Posts:6,274,988
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/08/04)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Everquest II Forum » The Tavern (General) » Was there ever a CoE review on this site?

10 posts found
  Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

OP  12/13/12 9:02:47 AM#1

I don't remember seeing one...

I also noticed other games getting their holiday events thrown up on the front page, but nothing for EQ2's, which is excellent really.

I mean, the user base of EQ2 is healthy enough and stable, and the game obviously has as much public interest as some of the more unknown F2P games covered here, so what's the deal? Is Dino Storm really more of a reader draw then EQ2? Is it just because SOE don't buy much advertisment for their games here?

zomard100

Apprentice Member

12/13/12 9:09:35 AM#2
I know only for PS2 from Sony, what is that CoE or EQ2? Never heard about that game, something new or something from  stone age?
  darkhalf357x

Hard Core Member

I'm only playing the role chosen for me. Who you supposed to be?

12/13/12 9:19:03 AM#3
Originally posted by zomard100
I know only for PS2 from Sony, what is that CoE or EQ2? Never heard about that game, something new or something from  stone age?

EQ2 is a MMORPG which PS2 is NOT so I question why its on this site, but realize that any game that has an online component is game.

In turn to the Op, I agree - I havent seen any press/review of Chains of Eternity except for some previews.  But the same can be said for Rain of Fear for EQ1 as well.

Wish they would spread the review love to older titles, but thats not to say they aren't working on it now.

Lets see...

Vesavius

Old School

Players come for the game, but they stay for the people- Most Devs have forgotten this.

OP  12/13/12 9:50:28 AM#4

Y'know, you are right about RoF...

Seems strange that major expacks for well known titles are not reviewed on a MMORPG site, yet we get coverage of non MMORPG games on a pretty regular basis.

Maybe it's just SOE's fault for not sending in a press release or something... most of the feature pieces we see are clearly cut'n'paste publicity releases.

Knytta

Hard Core Member

12/13/12 10:20:39 AM#5

Well they did a solid online marketing for COE (to be Sony) at least and had a totally open Beta, anybody with a sub could join. The lauch was sucessful, some bugs but very smooth by most standards. COE is strictly for the 90 + crowd as it raises the max level to 95, but it also contains some long awaited fixes like the group xp adjustment so its is more beneficial to group again. Another first for SOE is that everybody (92 and up) will be able to finish the storyline as it has all needed instances in solo or group versions. That is great for players like me that played for over 6 years but never have been able to see a whole expansion storyline through due to lack of raiding opportunities.

Its is clearly an expansion targeted to the more casual crowd, if you loved the shard grinding and the difficult instances (that led to player exclusion for those who came behind in the gear grind) in TSO you will hate COE. I personally like it it has dungeons with (doable) scripts that you can do on 2 persons, or in group (harder scripts but still doable)  that gives decent rewards, the storyline is fun. I see lots of people coming back. 

It is a new direction for SOE and EQ2, if you like it or not is up to what kind of game you want. Also the communication from developers and designers have started to improve again.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarca

Vesavius

Old School

OP  12/13/12 5:13:51 PM#6

Nice overview Knytta :)

It seems to have done a lot for the game, it would have been nice to see it get some review love.

strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

12/13/12 5:36:13 PM#7
Originally posted by Vesavius

Is it just because SOE don't buy much advertisment for their games here?

I think this along with not sending specific press releases.

Companies like Trion send out press releases for everything so they get a ton of articles posted.

Its not just SoE.  SWTOR, Rift, and TSW get every little patch extensively covered, but WoW had a very impressive 5.1 patch that wasnt even mentioned on this site until after the fact, and even then only indirectly.  It could also be that this website knows their readers are anti-SoE and anti-WoW so they dont go as gung-ho on those two games.  I know PS2 has gotten good coverage, but other than that SoE gets the bare minimum of notice from this site.

erictlewis

Apprentice Member

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

12/13/12 5:42:00 PM#8

The truth is SOE hardly does any advertising for EQ2; this has always been an issue.  As far as to why we don’t get a review, I would guess that is based on our game rank on this site.

I play EQ2 every day but COE has been one fix after another it seems like there has been a patch every day since the xpac came out.  The rewards in the raid zone well are really not much better than the raid zones in in skishrine and sleepers.  This is going to be a problem for the hard core raider.  Really the best stuff will be at the faction merchant now instead of raid rewards,  you will need 10 obols and other items that drop in heroic zones, and that is another problem. 

Other than that I like the 2 new zones,  we just need to get the quests in place for druid ring and spire access, as there is no quick travel for any of the zone.  

Nadia

Hard Core Member

12/13/12 5:50:26 PM#9
Originally posted by strangiato2112
Originally posted by Vesavius

Is it just because SOE don't buy much advertisment for their games here?

I think this along with not sending specific press releases.

mmorpg.com covered the preview and launch for COE - but nothing beyond it (yet)

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/2/view/news

• Chains of Eternity Launches

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that the latest expansion to EverQuest II, Chains of Eternity, has officially launched. The expansion gives players new prestige abilities, a level cap increase, new dungeons and much more.

Reported on Nov 13, 2012
  • Chains of Eternity Preview

Chains of Eternity is EverQuest II's ninth expansion and we recently had the opportunity to take a tour of some of the new content that players will discover when it launches. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Reported on Nov 09, 2012
  strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

12/13/12 6:11:48 PM#10
Originally posted by erictlewis

The truth is SOE hardly does any advertising for EQ2; this has always been an issue.  As far as to why we don’t get a review, I would guess that is based on our game rank on this site.

I play EQ2 every day but COE has been one fix after another it seems like there has been a patch every day since the xpac came out.  The rewards in the raid zone well are really not much better than the raid zones in in skishrine and sleepers.  This is going to be a problem for the hard core raider.  Really the best stuff will be at the faction merchant now instead of raid rewards,  you will need 10 obols and other items that drop in heroic zones, and that is another problem. 

Other than that I like the 2 new zones,  we just need to get the quests in place for druid ring and spire access, as there is no quick travel for any of the zone.  

EQ2 has not been a great game for raiders for some time IMO.  It has traditionally been one of the more difficult raid games, and they still put out raid content, but its not quite the same.

EQ2 is however the best MMORPG on the market for casual, non-raiders (IMO of course).  Its one of the few games where the population seems to be staying level if not going up, imagine if it had better exposure.