Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,640 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,317,225
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » Class Discussion » How are rangers after the patch for pve and keep battles at end game ?

8 posts found
  Arawon

Novice Member

OP  7/06/09 1:52:06 PM#1

I was on newbie island and quite disappointed with their performance at those low levels

dumpsterbaby

Novice Member

After a while the sweat, urine, and coitus juices all start to smell the same...

7/18/09 2:02:58 AM#2

Granted, I just came back after a year away from the game, but I think Rangers are really underpowered.  I've been playing mini PvP games pretty much all day and not doing well at all.  It's just too hard to hit anybody.  Everyone seems to know how to avoid Ranger damage.  They just run around you and spin you in dummy circles, or they run behind a corner just before your combo gets off.

Best you can try for is to place your back into a corner, but honestly, I won't lie to you.  You're going to die...

lvl 7 mage WoW

crunchyblack

Apprentice Member

7/18/09 2:06:38 AM#3

meh all this over powerd/under powerd talk.

rangers excel at their purpose. stay out of range and snipe people... they are over powerd at that, but under powerd at 1 vs 1 against most classes.

i cant tell you how many times ive been 1 and 2 shotted by a ranger who snuck up on me.  Most of the time i dont even know someons attacking me untill i die...see unlike mages who braodcast to everyone what they are attacking, ranger animations are pretty low key, and you can go undetected sniping a group pvping your teamates in a siege.

and if they do this in a siege they do pretty well

if the stealth ranged class is your type then ranger would be fun.

they are squishy though so they need to take advantage of hiding and running.

dumpsterbaby

Novice Member

After a while the sweat, urine, and coitus juices all start to smell the same...

7/18/09 12:21:29 PM#4
Let me offer some counterpoints, as pertains to mini-game PvP.  That's really all I've been doing after coming back with the 14 day trial.
Originally posted by crunchyblack

rangers excel at their purpose. stay out of range and snipe people... they are over powerd at that, but under powerd at 1 vs 1 against most classes.

Being underpowered 1 vs 1 reallys sucks, period.  And it's absolutely true about the Ranger class.

i cant tell you how many times ive been 1 and 2 shotted by a ranger who snuck up on me.  Most of the time i dont even know someons attacking me untill i die...see unlike mages who braodcast to everyone what they are attacking, ranger animations are pretty low key, and you can go undetected sniping a group pvping your teamates in a siege.

They have to sneak up on you because if they don't, they'll never be able to hit you.  You'll just run around them.  Also, hiding is not really an option in a PvP mini-game; it doesn't work unless you run clear the hell to the other end of the zone and back, which isn't good for your group.

I know Rangers are partly assassins, but I don't really think they should have to depend on hiding and running as much. Bottomline.

lvl 7 mage WoW

crunchyblack

Apprentice Member

7/18/09 4:46:42 PM#5
Originally posted by dumpsterbaby
Let me offer some counterpoints, as pertains to mini-game PvP.  That's really all I've been doing after coming back with the 14 day trial.
Originally posted by crunchyblack

Being underpowered 1 vs 1 reallys sucks, period.  And it's absolutely true about the Ranger class.

They have to sneak up on you because if they don't, they'll never be able to hit you.  You'll just run around them.  Also, hiding is not really an option in a PvP mini-game; it doesn't work unless you run clear the hell to the other end of the zone and back, which isn't good for your group.

I know Rangers are partly assassins, but I don't really think they should have to depend on hiding and running as much. Bottomline.

ok, well rangers might not be the best in pvp mini games, although perhaps you should be picking off other squshies (mini games is where rangers cause me the most fustration to fight against) there are plenty of spots to hide in all the mini maps, hiding might just mean not being close to the group, and moving around a lot...

if you wanted a class thats survivable in a pack fight, theres the tank classes for that, your not going to be able to tank a melee class in 1vs1 or tank a group attack, you gotta accept that and try to work around it.

im a demo, i get killed faster than you, so i stay behind my team and cc and run if a melee goes for me (unless its a hox, insta kill on me usually)

im only over powerd if the enemy stays in a close pack and ignores my insanely obvious spellweaving, and lets me spam aoes on them...then im over powerd

and rangers have always been about running and hiding, its why they are branched in with the assasin...its in fact a ranged version of an assasin. 

dumpsterbaby

Novice Member

7/23/09 5:08:47 PM#6

Bullshit. Barbarians are part of the assassin class. Are they about running and hiding?

Besides, you're missing the point. Even if a ranger does hide and gets the jump on somebody, he will never fucking kill them. His cc's aren't powerful enough to kite efficiently, and his damage is a goddamn joke, against squishies or not. In fact, I can promise you that the only thing he will be able to kill 1 v 1 is another Ranger, and only if better geared.

Also, you just said you play a demo, probably one of the top three ridiculously overpowered classes right now. You know absolutely shit about playing a ranger PvP end game, then. If you have access to one, try pvping the toon a few hours. Let's see how quick you want to get back to playing that Demo.

Let me just add this, too, for anyone thinking about coming back to try out their Ranger class. After a few more days playing the free trial, I can tell you beyond any doubt that Funcom has nerfed Rangers to the point of obscurity. Shit Dps. Shit damage and magic absorption. Combo bugs up the ass. Trap bugs up the ass. Can't hit mobile toons for shit.

Joke of a class at the moment, and one I don't plan on paying a sub fee to play after the 14 day reactivation trial expires.

lvl 7 mage WoW

crunchyblack

Apprentice Member

7/23/09 6:20:40 PM#7

hide as in, stay off the enemy radar in a goup fights or sieges, pick off people, not use the actual hide skill.

and for 1vs1 pvp...well i dont see many rangers winning a fair fight, although i have seen it.

and the demo is still the most powerful attacker, they are also the weakest class in game when it comes to taking damage...its the glass cannon trade off, doesnt mean they are overpowerd if they are really easy to kill. 

unkindbeast

Novice Member

4/29/10 6:51:38 PM#8

I can kill basicaly anybody with my ranger ONLY if every combo/trap/spell hits my enemy. I get so pissed off when the enemy just steps on my trap and walks over it like it wasnt even there, i try to fear burn him but he resists, i shoot him with knockback and it resists, i shoot with 3 hit combo and it misses. When all that happens in a fight I am basicaly screwed because I am either out of stam or the opponent kills me. Still love my ranger though :)