Trending Games | The Crew | Landmark | Neverwinter | Elder Scrolls Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,849,056 Users Online:0
Games:732  Posts:6,223,116
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » Game Suggestions » Think it's time to split this forum

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
61 posts found
  User Deleted
2/24/09 4:26:19 PM#21
Originally posted by Hamrtime2

You guys need to CRY MORE!

Just because youre all butthurt over a company thats about to go bankrupt and a game thats about to be shut down because it isnt any good is no reason to take it out on the people who inform any curious gamer who might wonder by what he will be getting himself into.

You do need to cry more because Funcom took away everything you had, and ruined your relationships, and now you must warn others of the evil Darth Funcom...looks like a two way street. The difference is we are in the AoC forum to discuss AoC, you are here to discuss Funcom and their business. The general thread would be a more apt place to post that stuff. You guys keep bringing up AO, and the developers and Gaute, etc,,,NONE of this is about the game...thus the reason for the split.

Your argument about not playing in months is invalid

Why? We play now and see the changes that AoC has had come down the pipe. You guys peruse the AoC forums looking for negative posts to cherry pick and bring here.  We do not need non-players to police these forums which is what you are doing. We do not need whiny babysitters here.

and just shows ignorance. As long as Funcom is running AoC, 

And this is the crux. Your issue is with Funcom, not AoC in particular. Please take it to General.

As we can see their business practices have now dug their grave and now will push them into the hole in just months.

Like I said...this is AoC, not the Funcom forum.

The fat lady is singing in the Funcom opera and the curtain is about to fall. Good ridance.

I like my ladies with a little meat on 'em...thanks

Halandir

Advanced Member

2/24/09 4:27:26 PM#22
Originally posted by Drednaught

There is so much bad blood on here at the moment I think they should make an extra forum area like they have on the SWG forums.

Call em Gaute and Craig or Launch and Re-Launch,at least that way any new people coming here to find out about the game as it is "NOW" would not get swamped by the Launch crew.

I have noticed a few threads where a person asked about "what char to play",etc get totally hijacked by the dreaded flame wars.It isnt fair on any new people coming here to learn about the game.

So how bout it MMORPG?

Sorry about quoting the full original post but there is a lot of opinions already and I wanted to relate to the OP's initial post in this thread.

• Yes there are people thrashing anything that Funcom does to improve AoC.
  • Yes there are people trying to make any mistake from Funcom look like a gift from heaven.

None of them are (imo and probably in most peoples opinion) "right" but both sides can add viewpoints and occasional relevant information for the good of most who trying to form a balanced opinion.

Why on earth would you fear that? Or do you really think most visitors here are so gullible that their head would spin and they would try/not try AoC because they saw too much of one side? - Then how would they know which "fraction" to start with...

Please... You seem like an intelligent person (after having a sleeper account with what 8 posts? up until a month ago, when you suddenly went from juvenile troll-antitroll-antiantitroll, fingerpointing kiddiespeak to fairly normal posts) and now this?

I choose to think that if AoC tries to appeal to a mature audience, their target group ARE capable of forming a mature informed opinion.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

Frobner

Novice Member

2/24/09 4:31:48 PM#23

There is no more reason to split AOC forums than any other game forums on MMORPG.COM 

Have you checked the WOW forums ?  Are there no negative posts there ? 

And here are few other reasons why not to split.

1.  The negative talks are not based on lies.  They might be negative but they are in most cases based on actual facts.  If those facts are about the state of the game 6 months ago or yesterday is irrelevant. 

2.  Freedom of speech is something we should all protect.  And we should not judge in any way what is the correct or the wrong part of it. 

3.  Custimors of any company or product have a right to let their voice be heard.  If some custimors are overly unhappy about how they were treated at any point - then they should be allowed to let other potential custimors know of it.

4.  Last but not least.... If ppl want "PURE POSITVE" perspective - then they can go on to the newcomers forums of the offical website.   If PPL want to ask questions then sadly... Funcom does not allow it there unless you have ALREADY an active account.  That is their dissision.   So if newcomers come here to ask about the game then dont blame the ppl answering or MMORPG.COM.  Blame the OFFICAL forums for not allowing those questsions on their website.

Drednaught

Apprentice Member

How about a magic trick?

OP  2/24/09 4:31:54 PM#24

Just because youre all butthurt over a company thats about to go bankrupt and a game thats about to be shut down because it isnt any good is no reason to take it out on the people who inform any curious gamer who might wonder by what he will be getting himself into.

Your argument about not playing in months is invalid and just shows ignorance. As long as Funcom is running AoC, anyone who has played the game or is playing the game can and has the right to comment any way they see fit as long as it doesnt break the rules of this website. As long as Funcom controls AoC, I will continue to remind visitors of this sight what kind of business they run.

As we can see their business practices have now dug their grave and now will push them into the hole in just months. The fat lady is singing in the Funcom opera and the curtain is about to fall. Good ridance.

How will you inform the curious player what they are getting themselves into? You dont play anymore so how could you give a valid and relevant account of the current state of the game? Exactly you cannot,because you are ignorant to the improvements made,the bugs fixed,etc because you still have your 2008 impression of the game embedded in your skull.

Are you a manager in Funcom? No? then you cannot possibly know what kind of business they run.In case you hadnt noticed there is a global recession going on and lots of businesses are struggling with loss,etc.

"Inform" means impart knowledge of some facts, state or affairs,acquaint with.You have no facts to offer any curious gamers,only your 2008 version of a game you once played.That game doesnt exist anymore hence the request for a split forum.

Can we stop with the melodramatic mass hysteria posts please,they might have been relevant at AoC launch but they certainly are not now.

Stop living in the past and find a new game to play/hate/whatever.

Gaming since 1985 and still going strong.

clearSam

Novice Member

2/24/09 4:41:15 PM#25

Your argument about not playing in months is invalid and just shows ignorance. As long as Funcom is running AoC, anyone who has played the game or is playing the game can and has the right to comment any way they see fit as long as it doesnt break the rules of this website. As long as Funcom controls AoC, I will continue to remind visitors of this sight what kind of business they run.

As we can see their business practices have now dug their grave and now will push them into the hole in just months. The fat lady is singing in the Funcom opera and the curtain is about to fall. Good ridance.

and you need to TROLL less

clearly you dont read anything that people post over here, you just paste useless stuff over and over again... the only one who is butthurt here is you, seeing people playing a game and enjoing it is somehow threatning you.... im woundering why?

Naranar

Novice Member

2/24/09 4:48:14 PM#26

I have noticed a few threads where a person asked about "what char to play",etc get totally hijacked by the dreaded flame wars.

Hi please no one asked so could you post this "few threads" links so i can see it on mine own green eyes?

Thanks

Drednaught

Apprentice Member

How about a magic trick?

OP  2/24/09 4:49:18 PM#27
Originally posted by Halandir

There is so much bad blood on here at the moment I think they should make an extra forum area like they have on the SWG forums.

Call em Gaute and Craig or Launch and Re-Launch,at least that way any new people coming here to find out about the game as it is "NOW" would not get swamped by the Launch crew.

I have noticed a few threads where a person asked about "what char to play",etc get totally hijacked by the dreaded flame wars.It isnt fair on any new people coming here to learn about the game.

So how bout it MMORPG?

Sorry about quoting the full original post but there is a lot of opinions already and I wanted to relate to the OP's initial post in this thread.

• Yes there are people trying to make any mistake from Funcom look like a gift from heaven.

None of them are (imo and probably in most peoples opinion) "right" but both sides can add viewpoints and occasional relevant information for the good of most who trying to form a balanced opinion.

Why on earth would you fear that? Or do you really think most visitors here are so gullible that their head would spin and they would try/not try AoC because they saw too much of one side? - Then how would they know which "fraction" to start with...

Please... You seem like an intelligent person (after having a sleeper account with what 8 posts? up until a month ago, when you suddenly went from juvenile troll-antitroll-antiantitroll, fingerpointing kiddiespeak to fairly normal posts) and now this?

I choose to think that if AoC tries to appeal to a mature audience, their target group ARE capable of forming a mature informed opinion.

My fear is that people with a view stuck in 2008 and an axe to grind against Funcom will deflect people from trying what is NOW a great game.

They are blinkered in their rage against Funcom and see it as their mission to bring down the company.They are not interested if the game has improved,etc because it would interefere with their mission.

If you were a new player you probably wont be aware of the game's history and it's launch.I have no problem with people being informed of the PAST problems it had,but I DO have a problem with people just posting the standard "Failcom,game sux" posts when the game clearly does not suck.

If the trolls want to start posting educated,balanced,informative posts then be my guest,but if you look at the troll posts on this thread you will see that they are clearly unable to remove the Failcom blinkers.Just gives more evidence why the forum should be split.

With regard to the rest of your post,yes I am intelligent,it wasnt a very busy account because I was a reader not a poster for many years,also preferred to play the games rather than discuss em

The reason for my many personas was that I was trying to find common ground to communicate with the trolls,after much experimentation I realised that this is impossible because they only see their point of view.Also if a post is longer than 2 sentences they ignore it.

With regard to my posting skills being awakened,I really enjoy this game and didnt like seeing the flak it was taking from the trolls because in my opinion it is undeserved given the current state of the game.Plus all the financial stuff bugged the crap outta me,it's a game forum not the Financial Times lol.

Anyways now you know why I posted

Drednaught

Apprentice Member

How about a magic trick?

OP  2/24/09 4:53:24 PM#28

How will you inform the curious player what they are getting themselves into? You dont play anymore so how could you give a valid and relevant account of the current state of the game? Exactly you cannot,because you are ignorant to the improvements made,the bugs fixed,etc because you still have your 2008 impression of the game embedded in your skull.
Are you a manager in Funcom? No? then you cannot possibly know what kind of business they run.In case you hadnt noticed there is a global recession going on and lots of businesses are struggling with loss,etc.
"Inform" means impart knowledge of some facts, state or affairs,acquaint with.You have no facts to offer any curious gamers,only your 2008 version of a game you once played.That game doesnt exist anymore hence the request for a split forum.
Can we stop with the melodramatic mass hysteria posts please,they might have been relevant at AoC launch but they certainly are not now.
Stop living in the past and find a new game to play/hate/whatever.

@openedge1 and you.

You guys need to go watch a movie and get the AoC failboat out of your heads. I suggest a mellow drama like Steel Magnolias. Just remember if you watch Titanic the ending might remind you of Funcom. LOL

Ahh no factual argument to amaze us with so you resort to cheap shots.

No worries everyone can see you for what you are now,plain as day.

Oh and its melodrama,try www.dictionary.com for your next post.I even spelt it properly for you in my original post or cant you read?

octa

Novice Member

2/24/09 4:53:51 PM#29

Man oh man. Why would you want to stifle the opinion of someone who has played the game at any point? Where is the line drawn?

If When the expansion gets released should the forums split off again? I mean, there will be opinions from people who played before the expansion that needs to get swept off into another forum right? Those players wouldn't know anything about the expansion first hand so they shouldn't be able to tell any potential customer what they thought of their experience, right?

Do you see where this is going? If you're a subscriber you have the official forum to praise the game and help new players as much as you want. You don't think a potential customer will peruse those forums? Mmorpg.com's forums are a discussion of the game, and let's face it - the companies behind them, in a good or bad light. Silence me with good points and discussion, not heavy handed tactics like what you are proposing. This website is better than that.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

2/24/09 4:58:40 PM#30

To split the forums as the OP suggests implies that Funcom has changed, (they may have), or the game is radically different (in some ways it is, in some ways its exactly the same), or that somehow this developer should be forgiven for their past transgressions. (does society truely forgive a criminal act, no.)

I never agreed with the SWG split, but there was such vitrol and hatred over the NGE that I think they tried to find a compromise, and I don't think the experiment worked out that well.

I say leave them as they are, and let the person seeking knowledge make up their own minds.

Because truthfully, if they can't do that, do you really want them in your game?

"In these forums 'honest' seems to be a symonym for 'hates the game just like I do'" - ohioastro
Kyleran - Bitter Vet ™ since 2006
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Salvatoris

Novice Member

2/24/09 5:03:02 PM#31
Originally posted by Elsabolts

Which one is going to have the Drunken Brawling and Mounted combat with 500 pvpers.

And which one will have the NPC "hive" cities that grow in player city zones... you know, the game mechanic that was featured in every single presentation and video for two years before the game released?   Well, at least we know neither forum will need a section for discussing itemization, since it doesn't exist in AOC .

Drednaught

Apprentice Member

How about a magic trick?

OP  2/24/09 5:03:18 PM#32
Originally posted by Naranar

I have noticed a few threads where a person asked about "what char to play",etc get totally hijacked by the dreaded flame wars.

Hi please no one asked so could you post this "few threads" links so i can see it on mine own green eyes?

Thanks

Here is one to help you along.

"Depends...... Should you try it now?I would say no.Should you try it when there is free trial? Definitely yes.

Really i think this game can be really fine when it is given time though yet i hear every patch brings some bugs though i didnt played game for a month.

But free trial isn't really necessary i think when there is Ymirs pass released and it had proven that most of quests are functional it will be great time to return because you will miss one of the places where quests are missing it's place.

And there is problem with Funcom in debt though Funcom can still be saved no matter what hater says but if funcom keeps making buggy patches like people says i doubt it. But still if Funcom gone under some company could buy the game and that is not end of the Age of Conan is it?.Hope that helped."

Your telling a person not to try the game based on what people told you about patches and how Funcom is in debt and keep making buggy patches.You post nothing about actual gameplay,the different classes available,PvP vs PvE servers,the amazing music,how certain things may not be to their taste.

How would anyone make an informed decision based on what you posted there?

This is what I am trying to get away from on these forums,by all means post that the game had a terrible launch,but at least balance that out by posting the current state of the game as well.This is the Age of Conan forum not the Funcom forum.People want to know about the game not the company.

Drednaught

Apprentice Member

How about a magic trick?

OP  2/24/09 5:10:02 PM#33
Originally posted by octa

Man oh man. Why would you want to stifle the opinion of someone who has played the game at any point? Where is the line drawn?

If When the expansion gets released should the forums split off again? I mean, there will be opinions from people who played before the expansion that needs to get swept off into another forum right? Those players wouldn't know anything about the expansion first hand so they shouldn't be able to tell any potential customer what they thought of their experience, right?

Do you see where this is going? If you're a subscriber you have the official forum to praise the game and help new players as much as you want. You don't think a potential customer will peruse those forums? Mmorpg.com's forums are a discussion of the game, and let's face it - the companies behind them, in a good or bad light. Silence me with good points and discussion, not heavy handed tactics like what you are proposing. This website is better than that.

Heavy handed? the SWG forum has been split so it set a precedent in doing so.Appears the website is heavy handed then? no?

edited for spelling mistake

User Deleted
2/24/09 5:17:03 PM#34

I still wait for that link with the debt so you can prove funcom is about to go bankrupt. :)

Frobner

Novice Member

2/24/09 5:18:55 PM#35
Originally posted by Halandir

So how bout it MMORPG?

My fear is that people with a view stuck in 2008 and an axe to grind against Funcom will deflect people from trying what is NOW a great game.

They are blinkered in their rage against Funcom and see it as their mission to bring down the company.They are not interested if the game has improved,etc because it would interefere with their mission.

If you were a new player you probably wont be aware of the game's history and it's launch.I have no problem with people being informed of the PAST problems it had,but I DO have a problem with people just posting the standard "Failcom,game sux" posts when the game clearly does not suck.

If the trolls want to start posting educated,balanced,informative posts then be my guest,but if you look at the troll posts on this thread you will see that they are clearly unable to remove the Failcom blinkers.Just gives more evidence why the forum should be split.

With regard to the rest of your post,yes I am intelligent,it wasnt a very busy account because I was a reader not a poster for many years,also preferred to play the games rather than discuss em

The reason for my many personas was that I was trying to find common ground to communicate with the trolls,after much experimentation I realised that this is impossible because they only see their point of view.Also if a post is longer than 2 sentences they ignore it.

With regard to my posting skills being awakened,I really enjoy this game and didnt like seeing the flak it was taking from the trolls because in my opinion it is undeserved given the current state of the game.Plus all the financial stuff bugged the crap outta me,it's a game forum not the Financial Times lol.

Anyways now you know why I posted

1. Once an unhappy custimor = always an unhappy custimor

2.  10 unhappy custimors do 10 times more dmg than 10000 happy custimors can repair.  This goes for any buisness.  Not just online gaming.

3.  The real question is - Why are there some unhappy custimors of AOC ?  Had it nothing to do with the treatment from Funcom ? 

4.  Financial status of a company running a MMO game is very important factor.  MMO games are long term comitment and financial status will without a doubt affect the future development and progress of the game.  For example - Most of us know by now that AOC - game that has now officially made a loss over 20 million USD will not be supported in the same manner as WOW or LOTRO.   20 million USD loss is a heavy burden to carry and just like Funcom stated in their own presentation.  The future of AOC subs is very uncertain.  Thats not my words - thats Funcom talking.  Be that pretty well hidden in the presentation.

Halandir

Advanced Member

2/24/09 5:19:30 PM#36

How would anyone make an informed decision based on what you posted there?

Hmm this is where you are (imo) wrong (and right) at the same time.

Not a single person would be able to make an informed decision on anything posted by the poster you referred to, posted by you or posted by me ALONE - most mature people WOULD like to see viewpoints from BOTH sides before they make THEIR "informed" decision.

Oh and just for arguments sake: How would you prevent socalled "haters" from posting in the "I love AoC" forum or for that matter, the "fans" from posting in the "AoC is dead" forum?

For really onesided/censored communication you would have to rely on either an official forum or a totalitarian society... After seeing how the official AoC forums turned out NEITHER of those options seems appealing to me!

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
(repeat ad infinitum)

User Deleted
2/24/09 5:20:11 PM#37
Originally posted by octa

I think both sides are important to discuss, it's the only way to go. A constuctive discussion is always good as it does highlight lots of imprtant aspects of the game. Sadly some people on these foums are unfamiliar with how to actually debate in a constructive way. You are not one of them tho, most of the posts I have seen from you have been well formulated and gives room for a good and fun discussion. :)

Any MMO isn't jsut positive, all MMO's have their good and bad points,and these forums are a good place to discuss them :)

Naranar

Novice Member

2/24/09 5:41:51 PM#38

Well I think you not really understand how i meant it well then let me explain....

"yet i hear every patch brings some bugs"

How you can  possibly know someone have any problem after patch or just with the game itself? Well you can say yourself he just read someone hater post and heard he had problems so he just spreads lies like a plague!

That's one of the many ways or he is on a guild ventrilo and listens to his guildies about problems? Are they just putting things from their arse just to make air hot?Well dont be a paranoid....And how says i cant stop playing for a month a visit my guild time to time  on ventrilo how things are going?

Now on other thing...

And there is problem with Funcom in debt though Funcom can still be saved no matter what hater says.

That's another thing back in these times it was great time of doubts and if Craig would be just new Gaute i'm telling you i'm doubting the Age of conan would be running now and growing slowly... Now to another thing

You post nothing about actual gameplay,the different classes available,PvP vs PvE servers,the amazing music

Now to explain this maybe you wont agree that's your choice but for me the most important on the game are negatives if i hear every negative single thing about game i found it more better to choose than positives for example a shooter can have really good graphic.... but if gameplay is sucks do graphic matters to me?Not for me.

Especially when new GD was getting put into test and i'm telling you BACK THEN there was really few positives about game... Now on other thing

People want to know about the game not the company.

Well you know when i read this i laughed a bit..... It's a bit funny considering that all that in MMORPG matters is game... well if you say this you dont play MMORPG much do you? Not really much to say about this.

Blackwell99

Novice Member

2/24/09 5:49:20 PM#39

I noticed you posted on the Eve forums asking for advice about the game,you got some nice sensible replies which are very helpful. That's true

Now imagine if you posted the same thing here and you yourself answered,dont think the post would be very helpful would it. That's not fair--if someone is asking for help with in-game issues I never interfere--go ahead and check

There is a difference between balanced view and blind hatred,Eve has bugs and yet people chose to help you not post "game sux,devs suck,etc" posts.apples and oranges

So maybe you wanna see it in that respect for a change.Instead of hijacking every thread here posting about a game you no longer play,why not play Eve and enjoy yourself. I was on topic from the get go-I didn't hijack anything, I was pointing out that when we are talking about different forums regarding now and then--that isn't going to help you. I was pointing out simply why.

Because you never know how things will turn out,and maybe you will find yourself the Eve fanboi against the haters.Would be a whole lot more fun in this world if we all just got along. It depends-but CCP does deliver on all accounts, and the game is breaking population records. But as you know--the game is not for everyone.

Ps I played Eve for 12months,enjoyed it a lot to begin with,found it a little repetitive (99% MMO's are same),had a few issues with lag,etc and the odd bug.I left to play other games and yet havent felt the need to continually hunt down every Eve forum post and hijack it.I just put it down to me not enjoying the game so I quit. Really--I guess CPP never lied or mislead you, or took advantage of the user agreement, but i really haven't been involved with any other game company that has. The people at CCP are as honest as the day is long. They introduced DX10 pretty quickly too, and really never made a big deal about it. Plus they GIVE away free expansions--hard to get mad at a company like that. It's almost as they've EARNED their business and deserve the loyality and growth they have received. Heck players can play as many 14 day free trials as they want (THose Icelanders really know how to make a solid game)---where's AoC's free trials? Can you think of a reason why they don't want people to play it yet? (bata?) (unfinished?)

Which is how MMO's should be,you play em for a bit,if you like em you stay,if not you quit,no need for all this hate all the time. Man if only life was like that--Imagine the possibilities.No accountability, that would be sweet--I think Id become a Bank Robber--how about you? Hopefully you understand that if this was just about a poorly made game, most of us Anit-FC guys wouldn't be here, but i sense you know this. The fact that at best it's a less than average game AND FC is corrupt is why people fight the fanatics sooo hard- If it was the greatest game in the world--people would still be pissed. You may wish people like myself away--but that won't happen--accept that (in fact I may be considering branching out to all site), perhaps even talk to the company that brought this on to themselves, that would be much more productive imo.  Im not the root of the problem, they are simply paying for the consequences of their actions.

Anyways no malice intended here,just trying to get you to see a different perspective of things,alternate world if you like

You cant go on posting about stuff that happened in 2008,its irrelevant to AoC in its current form,hence my terms of launch and re-launch,thats what it feels like on the server now. That's interesting, tell me, exactly what patch was it that made that happen for you? Do you play on a PvP server btw?

Anyways thats my 50 pence worth,do with it what you will

octa

Novice Member

2/24/09 6:03:59 PM#40

Heavy handed? the SWG forum has been split so it set a precedent in doing so.Appears the website is heavy handed then? no?

edited for spelling mistake

SWG was the reason I registered on the site, so yeah I'm fully aware of what happened after the NGE.  I'm not sure if you were around at the time but the threads being created there needed to be moderated somehow.  I didn't envy mmorpg.com in making the decision.  That being said I don't think the discourse on this forum has approached anything close to the NGE rage :)

My point still stands though.  Stifling opinion, good or bad, wouldn't benefit anyone.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search