Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,444 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,392
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » General Discussion » AoC mixed emotions.. HELP!!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
25 posts found
  User Deleted
6/25/13 11:32:15 AM#21
Originally posted by emperorwings

EQ2 settings aren't designed to be put all on max. It's one of those strange things. Would have to look it up to give an example of what not to put to max as I don't have EQ2 installed on this computer. So even if you have a command center set up there is going to be some problem running it smoothly 100% on all settings maxed.

AoC looks better graphically and lvl 1-20 are worth looking at just for fun.

EQ2 uses their in house forgelight game engine, which is notoriously cpu bottlenecked.  EQ2 was plagued with poor performance since its start.  I believe they offloaded some processes onto a secondary CPU some time down the road and that helped a little.

You will always have poor performance played EQ2 no matter how good of a rig you have, even today.

AOC on the otherhand has a somewhat brilliant game engine and runs really well on even modest system.

Aside from this, I think that the combat and gameplay of AOC is hands down better.  EQ2 has better crafting though and a more open world feel to it, despite it not being open world.  EQ2 also seems to have more depth to a lot of its game mechanics.

I honestly believe that if it wasn't for the AOC launch, this game would have been very popular. Sad it got so good about a year and a half after launch, kept getting better afterwards...problem is the haters who got mad at launch waged a pretty relentless campaign to keep people away, and by the time they gave up (or moved on to trolling TSW) this game was sort of left in the dust.

Actually this game had some of the best thempark pvp I ever experienced.  Sieges, though buggy, were fun, and the raids were pretty good too.

atticusbc

Apprentice Member

I hated hipsters before hating hipsters was cool.

6/25/13 11:41:45 AM#22
i enjoyed, and still do enjoy, the heck out of aoc. the atmosphere, combat, and lore are all great. and what more do you need from a conan game?
  doodphace

Hard Core Member

6/25/13 11:48:46 AM#23
Originally posted by BrownAle
Originally posted by emperorwings

EQ2 settings aren't designed to be put all on max. It's one of those strange things. Would have to look it up to give an example of what not to put to max as I don't have EQ2 installed on this computer. So even if you have a command center set up there is going to be some problem running it smoothly 100% on all settings maxed.

AoC looks better graphically and lvl 1-20 are worth looking at just for fun.

EQ2 uses their in house forgelight game engine, which is notoriously cpu bottlenecked.  EQ2 was plagued with poor performance since its start.  I believe they offloaded some processes onto a secondary CPU some time down the road and that helped a little.

You will always have poor performance played EQ2 no matter how good of a rig you have, even today.

AOC on the otherhand has a somewhat brilliant game engine and runs really well on even modest system.

Aside from this, I think that the combat and gameplay of AOC is hands down better.  EQ2 has better crafting though and a more open world feel to it, despite it not being open world.  EQ2 also seems to have more depth to a lot of its game mechanics.

I honestly believe that if it wasn't for the AOC launch, this game would have been very popular. Sad it got so good about a year and a half after launch, kept getting better afterwards...problem is the haters who got mad at launch waged a pretty relentless campaign to keep people away, and by the time they gave up (or moved on to trolling TSW) this game was sort of left in the dust.

Actually this game had some of the best thempark pvp I ever experienced.  Sieges, though buggy, were fun, and the raids were pretty good too.

Couldnt agree more. Though I feel WvW in GW2 to be slightly better than AoC keep seiges from a gameplay and performance perspective, the actual keeps in AoC are guild owned and built over periods of time, thus making the experiance that much more personal/exciting.

CactusJack

Novice Member

Facta, non verba.

7/25/13 10:32:57 PM#24

I had mixed feelings as well about AoC. I played AoC I'm guessing two years ago now. I played for about 3 months. I rolled a demonologist and enjoyed the character creation, Tortage and just about everything. Didn't like the bag limit thingy, but I was a f2p/bottomfeeder...so no worries.

Got to Stygia(I was Stygian) so set about wandering around. Enjoyed myself for another week or so. Traveled to Cimmeria, more of the same. Started looking around for peeps to play with. Looked on the forums, asked in game. Not too many responses. 

Disliked just about everything about the crafting system. Enjoyed the differences in the zones and overall it was a joy to just walk around and look at how beautiful the world was. Then a funny thing happened. I remembered I was playing a MMO and wanted to engage that social aspect of it. 

I know this may sound like a weird comparison, but I had the same feeling after playing LOTRO for about 2 weeks. It seemed everyone was soloing through all of it. Coming from EvE and Darkfall...all the pretty shiny things couldn't replace the concept of working together with like minded peeps. 

I will say that the Isle of Tortage is well worth the free install of the game. Not sure about the rest of the game. I hope you fare better than I did. I don't regret my time there though.

Oh, one other aggravating thing. Free players (at the time, not sure now) could only play four classes, Demon, Conq's? and two others. After looking through all of them...I absolutely wanted to play the HoX. I have never begrudged paying for my entertainment, but as I couldn't find anyone to play with....I couldn't justify playing a class solo in a MMORPG.

Good luck.

Playing: Rust and Battlefield 4
Hiatus: EvE
Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
Interested in: The Repopulation

Destiny2010

Apprentice Member

7/26/13 3:38:15 AM#25
Originally posted by CactusJack

*snip*

Oh, one other aggravating thing. Free players (at the time, not sure now) could only play four classes, Demon, Conq's? and two others. After looking through all of them...I absolutely wanted to play the HoX. I have never begrudged paying for my entertainment, but as I couldn't find anyone to play with....I couldn't justify playing a class solo in a MMORPG.

Good luck.

As of this spring, Funcom upgraded the F2P model, so its now all classes (12) up to lvl 80 and all classic instances and some newer instances after lanch, and a few raids for free! PvP gameing is open for all! Thats alot of gameplay without opening your wallet today imo :)

Gold limit increased from 2 to 10 also. Bags, as you can only have one, have to be upgraded either by buying with ingame money, or having some progress to get better bag, or get veteran points (by subbing) and get a bag from there. Last option is ingame store. I have used all options in my years of playing.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search