Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,636 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,721
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » General Discussion » Age of Conan Sieges [Vid] more massive than any other MMO?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
36 posts found
  Po_gg

Elite Member

4/22/13 7:19:34 AM#21
Originally posted by Loktofeit
Originally posted by FromHell

The only bigger gameworld I know of is WOW, that "shits on both these games" if you want to put it that way

By your standards, LOTRO's MonsterPlay, kicks AoC's sieges to the curb. More animations and particle effects, huge detailed terrain in the battle zone.

At first I only wanted to address that LotRO has bigger gameworld than AoC, especially with Isengard and Rohan counted.

But I also need to +1 Loktofeit, while I never liked pvp in mmo's (there are much better games and formats for competing against a fellow player I think), PvMP was maybe the only mmo pvp activity for me which I didn't hated from the guts :)

Of course you need good, quality players on both end, but if that's given, then PvMP is decently fun even for a pve-centric player because of the strategy aspect.

And if you have only the usual pvp idiots inside, then, well... I always said here on morpg.com that LotRO has the most mature and great community, the rare occasions which stated otherwise to me all happened in the Moors :)

(actual convo: "(Me)nobody's here, let's flip the Keeps! (randompvpdude)That's boring, if you want to do pve then gtfo from the Moors, we want to kill players here."  Lol)

DaSpack

Novice Member

OP  4/22/13 7:39:43 AM#22
Originally posted by Worrynot
Originally posted by DaSpack
mkay Sovrath.... Lineage 2 is also good, but I think ech character alone in AoC have double the amount of animation bones.. as in the wrists can move in AoC, The arms can extend more realistically... etc.. It makes a hell more of load movementwise in an massive event. Just sayin... Are there any other good MMOs that can match these two?

You sure got a hardon for animation bones. Not sure why you're using it in your argument, as it has virtually no impact on the actual gameplay.

In terms of massive? EVE and Planetside shits on both these games. But neither has the amazing amount of animation bones that AoC has so I guess they don't count.

same looking star systems with nothing to see but some planet surfaces, stations exteriors and asteroids doesn´t really compare ya know.

EvE is cool, but it´s only big because of empty space.

Planetside 2 is also a bad example, really bad, because AoC has easily 8-10 times the land mass of Planetside 2

The only bigger gameworld I know of is WOW, that "shits on both these games" if you want to put it that way

So the criteria for most massive sieges is

- overall landmass

- number of particle effects

- character animation count

- actual number of people in the siege is not a factor

I would normally say EVE, L2 and Akia have massive sieges, but I can see we're not really going by any logical criteria so I'll go with what we have above:

By your standards, LOTRO's MonsterPlay, kicks AoC's sieges to the curb. More animations and particle effects, huge detailed terrain in the battle zone.

Hey all I am saying is that there is no problem having 150 vs 150 vs 150 stick men with 20 animation bones running around in a "siege"... But that is just plain idiotic. You see it over and over again whenever you bring up a siege discussion. Peope that have played MMORPGs for a while, would typically refer back to ancient ugly shit from the past as the most massive siege events just because of the shear number of people in the event. I think those crappy 20 animation bone mmorpgs from the past should be completely excluded from massiveness discussions. Again, there is no technical challenge in getting 500 people into an event as long as you turn them all to stick figures from the 90s. The term "Massive Siges Event" today, in 2013, should in my opinion envelope so much more than how many guys you can get running around in the event. I think you guys know where I am going with this... I am saying that AoC has more stuff going on in it's sieges that any other MMO if you considder the product of number of people with number of animation bones. Every person has like 212 animation bones... There are like 96 people in on the siege... Thats like 20352 animations continously running in the game updating vs it's server... On top of this comes all the stuff these 96 people are able to do to it's event environment... set walls on fire, operate siege machinery, spellweave, etc etc.... I just can't think of any other game except perhaps Lineage 2 that have the same amount of stuff going on, on the screen, than AoC.

20 animation bones *450 people = 9000 animations at the same time... Not very impressing compared to AoC. 

The Ultimate Breakdown

Connmacart

Novice Member

4/22/13 7:47:06 AM#23
Originally posted by Worrynot
mkay Sovrath.... Lineage 2 is also good, but I think ech character alone in AoC have double the amount of animation bones.. as in the wrists can move in AoC, The arms can extend more realistically... etc.. It makes a hell more of load movementwise in an massive event. Just sayin... Are there any other good MMOs that can match these two?

You sure got a hardon for animation bones. Not sure why you're using it in your argument, as it has virtually no impact on the actual gameplay.

In terms of massive? EVE and Planetside shits on both these games. But neither has the amazing amount of animation bones that AoC has so I guess they don't count.

same looking star systems with nothing to see but some planet surfaces, stations exteriors and asteroids doesn´t really compare ya know.

Planetside 2 is also a bad example, really bad, because AoC has easily 8-10 times the land mass of Planetside 2

- overall landmass

I would normally say EVE, L2 and Akia have massive sieges, but I can see we're not really going by any logical criteria so I'll go with what we have above:

Hey all I am saying is that there is no problem having 150 vs 150 vs 150 stick men with 20 animation bones running around in a "siege"... But that is just plain idiotic. You see it over and over again whenever you bring up a siege discussion. Peope that have played MMORPGs for a while, would typically refer back to ancient ugly shit from the past as the most massive siege events just because of the shear number of people in the event. I think those crappy 20 animation bone mmorpgs from the past should be completely excluded from massiveness discussions. Again, there is no technical challenge in getting 500 people into an event as long as you turn them all to stick figures from the 90s. The term "Massive Siges Event" today, in 2013, should in my opinion envelope so much more than how many guys you can get running around in the event. I think you guys know where I am going with this... I am saying that AoC has more stuff going on in it's sieges that any other MMO if you considder the product of number of people with number of animation bones. Every person has like 212 animation bones... There are like 96 people in on the siege... Thats like 20352 animations continously running in the game updating vs it's server... On top of this comes all the stuff these 96 people are able to do to it's event environment... set walls on fire, operate siege machinery, spellweave, etc etc.... I just can't think of any other game except perhaps Lineage 2 that have the same amount of stuff going on, on the screen, than AoC.

20 animation bones *450 people = 9000 animations at the same time... Not very impressing compared to AoC. 

Those same 96 people also ctashed 80% of the sieges since launch. Sieging in AoC was never more than a gimmick and one that never got a proper fix. On that bases we should exclude AoC from all future siege discussions.

DaezAster

Advanced Member

4/22/13 7:56:08 AM#24
Massive in mmo terms is directly speaking of population not number of animations. That footage wasn't very massive but I feel more bodies doesn't always make for a better combat experience, often just makes it a cluster you know...
  DaSpack

Novice Member

OP  4/22/13 7:57:47 AM#25
Originally posted by Connmacart

- overall landmass

Those same 96 people also ctashed 80% of the sieges since launch. Sieging in AoC was never more than a gimmick and one that never got a proper fix. On that bases we should exclude AoC from all future siege discussions.

Well I think that AoC sieges have never been so bad that 80% of them crashed. Not even the first year after launch, but before TSW launch and the dreamworld upgrades that came with this launch, there were troubles in AoC Sieges. Today, as fare as I am aware of, there are no issues. I fight Sieges myself.... 

But what you mention here is probably one of the reasons why AoC are so in the forefront of things when it comes to massiveness in sieges in 2013. Because it was waaayy to ambitious in the first place back in 2008. Just since the last year or so technology have been able to catch up with this game..

Even TSW that was launched in 2012 is a technical imp compared to AoC sieges. Sure you have a load of people in the Fusang massive PvP events.. Then again people are not as well animated and also not able to screw around with the environment/world as much as in a AoC Siege. 

my 0.02

The Ultimate Breakdown

DaSpack

Novice Member

OP  4/25/13 2:23:01 PM#26

Here is another Youtube vid of a recent siege... Just pulled it out randomly, but you can see there is really a lot of shit going on. the burning walls must be a real resource hog.. Those guys on vent have a fcked up language though.. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvdWSIiTy0s

The Ultimate Breakdown

Shadanwolf

Advanced Member

6/02/13 4:25:56 PM#27
Op...thank you  for the post.I'm coming back! I love siege fighting !!!!!!!
  Sovrath

Elite Member

6/02/13 4:37:30 PM#28

I just don't see how that makes it "massive".

To me "massive" is a lot of people but also a lot of people doing different things on the battle field, having different objectives, etc.

And as someone else pointed out PS2 and EVE seem to have extremely massive fights.

Shadanwolf

Advanced Member

6/02/13 5:41:19 PM#29
Originally posted by Sovrath

I just don't see how that makes it "massive".

To me "massive" is a lot of people but also a lot of people doing different things on the battle field, having different objectives, etc.

And as someone else pointed out PS2 and EVE seem to have extremely massive fights.

I just left DAOC. I wish I'd seen 96 players at a fight.

Jetrpg

Novice Member

6/02/13 5:45:53 PM#30
daoc had over a 1000 in a  battle its shutter frame but it happened. Still 200-400 not uncommon.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Shadanwolf

Advanced Member

6/02/13 5:57:16 PM#31
Originally posted by Jetrpg
daoc had over a 1000 in a  battle its shutter frame but it happened. Still 200-400 not uncommon.

I love to rvr.I have played DAOC on/off since day 1....just to rvr

My wife and I just closed our accounts ....again

we both play to fight other realms

we both just left because that wasn't happening during the extensive hours we devoted to try to have some fun.

I'm delighted you see to be having a totally different experience.

Loktofeit

Novice Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

6/02/13 6:03:22 PM#32

It depends. You originally asked if anything was more massive, and you got an answer. Now you're asking if anything has more animations.  The answer to the first is L2 and Shaiya are definitely up there. The answer to the second is LOTRO MonsterPlay.

EDIT: I just realized this is a necro'd thread that I had already replied to. :/

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Muke

Hard Core Member

6/02/13 6:07:03 PM#33

But moving to the topic, what is really the Age of Conan Siege in terms of massiveness compared to other MMOs. I can't really think of any other MMO that have so many animations and events running at the same time as in Age of Conan. Thoughts on that MMOers? If I wanted a game with more massive events than this, what should I test?

Was in another 900 vs 1300 EVE fight lately, laggy as sh*t at times, but mostly good playable (reinforced node by the devs).

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

6/02/13 6:07:32 PM#34
The AoC Siege is 48 vs 48 btw.

That's it? Then no, not even close to the most massive. There were raids in EQ1 bigger than that.

DAoC and Darkfall and Eve currently stand as front runners.

Muke

Hard Core Member

6/02/13 6:19:31 PM#35

That's because you either haven't played the game or if you do, as a grunt.

If you are on a battlefield with >500 players with players who actually lose their ships when they get popped, when you are frantically creating a master plan to orchestrate a win, set all the piece son the battlefield, counter enemy movements where 1 sec delay in response can get your fleet tackled and killed is quite an experience I can tell you. :P

And mass PVP doesn't exist in WOW, not in those big scales, if WOW is any good in anything, then it's small scale pvp called arena's.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

zymurgeist

Hard Core Member

6/02/13 6:19:57 PM#36
That's an uncoordinated goat screw. Don't people group up and use tactics there? I can live with 48 a side, although I been in fights over mob spawns bigger than that. But that level of play is atrocious.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

2 Pages « 1 2 Search