Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Hearthstone

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,944 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,551
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » General Discussion » I found this interesting

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
51 posts found
  JasonJ

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 10:20:16 AM#41

OP, Welcome to Funcom.

Actually I should just say its Funcom. No western F2P game has been or will be as successful as the Asian F2P games, the closest two have been Runes of Magic and DDO. The reasons are as you touched on...they are not actual F2P games, they are FREEMIUM games with a ton of locked content.

Freemium was created under the impression that if they allow people to play their failing Subscription based games, they will pick up more SUBSCRIPTIONS by giving what is nothing more than an extended demo of their game. They believe their games are good enough to get more subscribers.

Thats all it is. Its to get more subscribers. They just dont get that their game just plain is not that good and is losing players for a REASON.

Asian F2P games however are actually FREE. Yes, there is a cash shop. THAT is their income. The game though, is free, no locked content. They know, once you create a player class system that places one group of players as second class citizens, you just killed a great deal of income, far more than the small amount you would pick up by gaining a few subscribers with a pay trap game.

And judging from many of the responses here, western players just dont GET IT...guess thats why South Korea is taking over the market year by year, they are making the money, buying out the companies and producing far far more games and their quality is starting to surpass many AAA games. I sure know I cant wait for Black Desert, Bless, Archeage and Ein to come out. Looking forward to those far more than TESO or EQnext since they look like they are going to be nothing more than rehashes of 12+ year old games.

Po_gg

Elite Member

3/20/13 10:33:40 AM#42
Originally posted by DaSpack

Now it's time to wipe out the old and introduce a new fully fledged crafting based economy.

While I'm looking forward to the craft revamp, I do it only with one eye, the other is crying (whoa, only a non-native can this much abuse a phrase :) )

All my toons (ok, all who are beyond the mid-game) are grandmaster gatherers and do crafting as well, the only profession I don't have is the architect since I don't care about sieges and stuff, and most guilds have a dedicated architect anyways.

Since FC stated the whole system will be rewritten, I'm sad a bit that all those efforts will be flushed down in the loo... but I'm curious how the new crafting will affect the world and the prices :)

(on a sidenote to self, maybe it's time to sell the resources now, who knows what will be the highly sought-after stuff in the future...)

Kimikaze

Novice Member

3/20/13 10:57:09 AM#43

I believe they are still working on the free to play model. Here is a quote from an interview with Joel Bylos on pcgamer.com

Joel Bylos in pcgamer interview
Age of Conan is free-to-play, which means there obviously is content gating which can only be removed via a subscription. Currently the Age of Conan model causes a division between paying players and free players—too much of a division, in my opinion. We are discussing ways to broaden the experience in Age of Conan for free players. That’s a priority for me.

DaSpack

Apprentice Member

3/20/13 2:36:06 PM#44
Originally posted by Kimikaze

I believe they are still working on the free to play model. Here is a quote from an interview with Joel Bylos on pcgamer.com

Age of Conan is free-to-play, which means there obviously is content gating which can only be removed via a subscription. Currently the Age of Conan model causes a division between paying players and free players—too much of a division, in my opinion. We are discussing ways to broaden the experience in Age of Conan for free players. That’s a priority for me.

There you go.. I see it now that I read it the second time :D.

So maybe they plan to do something B2Pish then after all... Well that will make the entire game available for everyone then, but then we are back to that someone would have to pay to download the game..

Another thing... Wonder what they plan to do when Arnolds new Conan movie get out Aug 2014. AoC 2... New starter area or just a DLC?? hmmm. I think Arnold coming back to make new Conan movies deserves much more than a DLC. We need more news about that MMORPG. Get an interview on Conan exclusively.

The Ultimate Breakdown

FromHell

Novice Member

3/27/13 5:35:22 AM#45

So maybe they plan to do something B2Pish then after all... Well that will make the entire game available for everyone then, but then we are back to that someone would have to pay to download the game..

Another thing... Wonder what they plan to do when Arnolds new Conan movie get out Aug 2014. AoC 2... New starter area or just a DLC?? hmmm. I think Arnold coming back to make new Conan movies deserves much more than a DLC. We need more news about that MMORPG. Get an interview on Conan exclusively.

Nah, don´t think it can go B2P after being F2P, they can´t charge anyone for the client afterwards.

Honestly I don´t know what else they could give away for free, if they open up all endgame content, what else is there to get revenue from? The F2P model is already very open and you get tons of content for free. Even the inventory bags you can buy ingame, if you don´t want to spend money on FC points.

They could maybe roll in the expansion and the Savage Coast of Turan, so you don´t need to buy it separate, but that´s about it, getting acess to it at lvl80 should still remain subscription content. 

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

shalissar

Apprentice Member

3/27/13 5:52:36 AM#46
I'd give them money if only they'd be able to cut down on the outrageous amount of hackers currently in the game (Fury). I played this game for years and I have NEVER seen it like this. It is like Mad Max out there. I actually have a few screenshots of people just outright admitting in /global and /group that they use 3rd party programs to muck with things. It's unbelievable- I hope they get that sorted first before doing anything else.
  DaSpack

Apprentice Member

3/27/13 5:58:48 AM#47
Originally posted by shalissar
I'd give them money if only they'd be able to cut down on the outrageous amount of hackers currently in the game (Fury). I played this game for years and I have NEVER seen it like this. It is like Mad Max out there. I actually have a few screenshots of people just outright admitting in /global and /group that they use 3rd party programs to muck with things. It's unbelievable- I hope they get that sorted first before doing anything else.

What can one say.. This is not the way I know AoC. Could you share unedited screenshots of that. AoC is one of the few games that you can't successfully macro. Just curious on this you mention.

The Ultimate Breakdown

DaSpack

Apprentice Member

3/27/13 6:03:12 AM#48
Originally posted by FromHell

Nah, don´t think it can go B2P after being F2P, they can´t charge anyone for the client afterwards.

Honestly I don´t know what else they could give away for free, if they open up all endgame content, what else is there to get revenue from? The F2P model is already very open and you get tons of content for free. Even the inventory bags you can buy ingame, if you don´t want to spend money on FC points.

They could maybe roll in the expansion and the Savage Coast of Turan, so you don´t need to buy it separate, but that´s about it, getting acess to it at lvl80 should still remain subscription content. 

Ohh it certainly can... They can keep up the good old F2P offer they have now as a trial version and batch The godslayer, Turan pack and everything else up in a grand new everything pack that basically becomes B2P. Frankly I think that would be a good idea as people prefer to own their game for ever once they have purchased it.  Just wait and see, I bet something like this will happen for 5 year aniversary in May.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Po_gg

Elite Member

3/27/13 6:51:13 AM#49

What can one say.. This is not the way I know AoC. Could you share unedited screenshots of that. AoC is one of the few games that you can't successfully macro. Just curious on this you mention.

Lol.  khm... I mean :(, since it's a sad thing.

Even I (as an avid non-pvp dude) know that the statement in green is wrong... There were times when you got banned just by mention comboskipping. And while it went under radar in the past few years (on pve servers I mean, I don't know the state of pvp ones), but because it was rooted in the core mechanics I think it wasn't fixed.

So it's not a surprise that the player influx brought the shady things back (especially with pvp and competitive gameplay). I haven't see it yet on Crom luckily.

DaSpack

Apprentice Member

3/27/13 6:56:19 AM#50
Originally posted by Po_gg

Lol.  khm... I mean :(, since it's a sad thing.

Even I (as an avid non-pvp dude) know that the statement in green is wrong... There were times when you got banned just by mention comboskipping. And while it went under radar in the past few years (on pve servers I mean, I don't know the state of pvp ones), but because it was rooted in the core mechanics I think it wasn't fixed.

So it's not a surprise that the player influx brought the shady things back (especially with pvp and competitive gameplay). I haven't see it yet on Crom luckily.

No green thing is definitely not wrong.. Reason ARE combos!! You can't fire off the entire combo in a macroed syncronic fashion. You will make swings in open air then and get haeavily deducted on final blow Damage. This is the beuty of the AoC combo combat system, you have to dodge and fint in every strike so that the last blow will give full damage. You can't macro off every combo... well you can... But then the result will be that you most of the time will have deducted -25% damage off final blow. I know this game dude. When I meet macroidiots I finish them in notime.

The Ultimate Breakdown

Po_gg

Elite Member

3/27/13 8:10:16 AM#51

No green thing is definitely not wrong.. ... You can't macro off every combo

While I never agreed with Funcom on the quasi-solution of silencing and banning all who brought up the issue in any form (included helping ideas, or reporting skippers), I do agree with them that discussing it on forums openly is bad for the game.

So I can only say, I really wish if only that'd be true... AoC would be a less barbaric ( lol ) place with only fair and just players, and those who are exploiting the mechanics would answer to Crom himself - in person... (yep, I despise cheaters that much :) )

Edit: I'm not on Fury, but I hope FC will stop the issue right there and don't allow it to spread. I hope I'd never see again cheating idiots on Crom... when you see a cheater soloing a miniboss faster than 3 of us dps-ing down the adds you know there is something utterly wrong in the world... (no, not we were the lame ones before someone asks it :) )

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search