Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,643,306 Users Online:0
Games:681  Posts:6,077,059
Funcom | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 05/20/08)  | Pub:Eidos Interactive
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download | Retail Price:n/a | Pay Type:Free | Monthly Fee:n/a
System Req: PC | Out of date info? Let us know!

Age of Conan Forum » General Discussion » Why is AoC's population growing NOW? (18 Feb 2013)

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
78 posts found
  wildtalent

Novice Member

2/23/13 11:39:52 AM#21
Well,  one thing they have done right is they have constantly improved their game.  That plus having a solid F2P system set up, it was only a matter of time before people starting paying attention to AoC again.  I truly believe it's one of the better games out now.

Po_gg

Elite Member

2/23/13 2:45:12 PM#22
Originally posted by Jalaris

I'd say a major increase in the population is because of the recent Steam release. I have friends, and also including myself, that will not try "some" MMO's unless they are released on Steam. AoC being one that I had tried a very long tiem ago, now possibly looking at again for a second time because of its Steam release.

I'm not familiar with this Steam release, but it sure has / had an impact...

Yesterday I thought I start a new alt - a dt since lately I played a lot with my templar in TSW (ok, this one in AoC is a dark one, but still :) a templar is a templar in any setting). So I logged in, and it was a nice surprise to find a crowded Tortage, a cleaned White Sands and Underhall with lots of players roaming around.

Crom and Ymir, I don't even remember when was the last time I had to wait for mob / item respawn in AoC. :) And it's most likely Steam, since lots of the newcomers had a nice cloak already at level 5, and the others kept spamming the channels how can they claim their "Steam cloak" too.

I haven't heard of this sale, but with the revamped f2p model it was timed well. Since there's no class restriction, players can start anything, I saw many HoXes, necros, rangers and a few shammy (a nice change after the boring guard/barb/demo-heavy Tortage before the revamp). If these players will stay in game until they reach BC/Sanctum to try out group dynamics, I think AoC has some great months in its future :)

Myrdynn

Advanced Member

2/23/13 4:28:51 PM#23

Is the new crafting system in place yet?

FromHell

Novice Member

2/23/13 7:14:36 PM#24
Originally posted by Myrdynn

nope, probably next update 4.1 or 4.2 I suppose

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

wormed

Advanced Member

2/26/13 5:23:32 PM#25
Originally posted by h0urg1ass
Originally posted by aylwynn
Since there are some AoC-vets posting in this thread ... Will I have fun with this game as a DAoC/WAR player? Actually I think about giving it a try.

I've said it a million times and I'll say it until they get off their asses at Failcom and fix it; PVP is total shit.  The PVE side of the game is brilliant, and the PVP side of the game is a visionless, directionless mess.

If you've come looking for PVP, and not much interested in PVE, then save your hard drive the installation space.

... this comment pretty much made me not give it another try (for like the 5th time). Isn't the game based around PvP in general? I couldn't give two shits about PvE, so pretty disheartening to hear.

Too bad. :(

DaSpack

Novice Member

OP  2/27/13 8:04:53 AM#26
Originally posted by FromHell

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo.. But would be great with a new starter area.

The Ultimate Breakdown

MMOGamer71

Advanced Member

2/27/13 10:35:26 AM#27
Originally posted by si2zle
One word. Steam.

Agreed.

Age of Conan: Unchained - Tortage Survival Pack is listed as #4 DLC for MMOs, #2 for F2P on Steam, so Ill go out on a limb and say other monies are being spent also i.e. subscriptions.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/218180/

The "issue" with MMO development is that there are TOO MANY suits and not enough gamers making games.

Skuz

Novice Member

"If you can''t laugh at yourself there''s always someone around to show you how it''s done!"

2/27/13 10:40:15 AM#28
The annoncement that Arnold Schwartzenegger is scheduled to reprise his role as an old "King Conan" in a new movie may have piqued interest in the game, but quite likely is the generally positive press surrounding TSW.
  Po_gg

Elite Member

2/27/13 10:53:05 AM#29
Originally posted by DaSpack

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo..

Probably... since it's f2p now, and there are no boxes out there to buy it'd be strange to go b2p :)

LuckyDucky

Apprentice Member

2/28/13 12:12:34 AM#30
Originally posted by DaSpack

I heard some other rumors... like that they perhaps will wrap this up together with a new starter area and make the Game B2P on AoC's 5 year aniversary May 2013. Probably just mumbo.. But would be great with a new starter area.

New starter area? First I have heard a thing about that. It would have to be pretty sweet to compete at all with Tortage. It would be nice to have a new starter area though, as long as it doesn't focus on desert terrain. B2P is what I am really waiting on. I would like to play the expansion but I don't want to sub just to do it. So I just knock around the rest of the game. I might break down and pick up a game card or 2 off Amazon if I get antsy.

"The Pen Is Mightier Than The Demo"

User Deleted
2/28/13 12:18:11 AM#31
I'm honestly not sure, as I've never played the game. I did look it up and do some reading after seeing your post, and I'm downloading it now. 
  kyssari

Apprentice Member

"Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.

2/28/13 12:21:32 AM#32
I had a lot of fun with AoC when I tried it out, not just a great f2p model but it's also just a really fun game in general. If not for Vanguard which is a little more oldschool which I prefer, I would still be playing AoC full time. Indeed I do still log on every once in awhile just Vanguard takes up all my time these days. Both are great games with great f2p models and fun and immersive gameplay unlike 95% of all the other modern day mmo's these days that baby their players.
  Vyllyn

Novice Member

2/28/13 12:29:55 AM#33
... the pvp is shit? are you high? or are you pissed off u cant tab target, spam cool downs, win in this game? AOC has the most complex and hard to master combat in anygame ever let alone a MMO. To top it off what other game can u rip the heads off of the players u kill or stomp thire head into the ground like in american history x. nuff said.
  Torvaldr

Elite Member

Opportunist

2/28/13 12:57:50 AM#34
Originally posted by MMOGamer71
One word. Steam.

Agreed.

Age of Conan: Unchained - Tortage Survival Pack is listed as #4 DLC for MMOs, #2 for F2P on Steam, so Ill go out on a limb and say other monies are being spent also i.e. subscriptions.

Funcom should figure out a subscription package for all their games like a Sony Station Pass.  I would be more likely to sub for an extended period of time if I had premium status in any of their games I logged into.  They could have a very attractive package with AO, AoC, and TSW if they put a little more love into AO.

For $15 per month, no multi-month discounts, you get premium access to all their games.  You can only be logged into one game at a time so why should they care which one it is.

FromHell

Novice Member

2/28/13 5:57:16 AM#35
Originally posted by Torvaldr
Originally posted by MMOGamer71
One word. Steam.

Agreed.

Funcom should figure out a subscription package for all their games like a Sony Station Pass.  I would be more likely to sub for an extended period of time if I had premium status in any of their games I logged into.  They could have a very attractive package with AO, AoC, and TSW if they put a little more love into AO.

For $15 per month, no multi-month discounts, you get premium access to all their games.  You can only be logged into one game at a time so why should they care which one it is.

I guess they can´t do the multipass thing with AoC because of different publisher deals or something, but I´d like that too.

Secrets of Dragon´s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Sluske

Novice Member

2/28/13 10:00:33 AM#36

I'm playing thanks to f2p steam.

As I've been pretty bored with most games lately, me and a friend browsed steam for f2p mmos, we tried out LOTRO (not really impressed) and DDO (had some potential but my friend didn't seem to like it that much) amongst others. then we tried out AOC. Easy best out of the games we tried, in fact it seems really really good. I guess this game took a massive dent with the whole release fiasko, and for that alot of people will never see what a good game it is.

morale of the story: release when ready :)

I'm just lvl 12 on my tos, but im still interested and wanna keep playing, and thats more then I can say about the other f2p titles we tried out.

Po_gg

Elite Member

2/28/13 12:20:41 PM#37
Originally posted by Sluske

I'm playing thanks to f2p steam.

I'm just lvl 12 on my tos, but im still interested and wanna keep playing, and thats more then I can say about the other f2p titles we tried out.

It seems it was a good idea for FC to appear on steam. It's almost a week now, and you can still see new players arriving to Tortage and asking about the cloak claim. Those who started during the weekend are already at the group quests in the Valley or looking group for Sanctum and it seems they're planning to stay for some more.

While I never liked steam, this was a nice pull from FC and steam :)  the game is crowded again.

sk8chalif

Hard Core Member

2/28/13 12:23:55 PM#38
Originally posted by Vannor
One word. Steam.

Spot on.

That must have happened today or yesterday

since 22 Feb 2013

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

DaSpack

Novice Member

OP  2/28/13 1:43:39 PM#39
Originally posted by sk8chalif
Originally posted by Vannor
One word. Steam.

Spot on.

That must have happened today or yesterday

since 22 Feb 2013

not only because of steam. AoC have been growing a good month and a half before it got on steam. I think there is a new word of mouth thing going on about the game after the dragon spine adition.

The Ultimate Breakdown

drbaltazar

Apprentice Member

2/28/13 1:48:27 PM#40
Tsw adopted gw2 payment model.this probably brought lot of player and those probably checked fun on various title.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search