Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,858,448 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,243,746
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
36 posts found
  Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

11/11/09 8:39:21 PM#21
Originally posted by PhelimReagh
Originally posted by Rihahn
Originally posted by Aywren

Rihahn -- this has been a wonderful review of Istaria! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I hope all is going well in game? I'm working my way up to my ROP on my hatchling as well and just starting to learn about lairshaping! :) 

Sadly, once we all moved to the RP server 'Order' it was only a couple of weeks before the ghost-town feel got to everyone I was playing with and they all scattered back to other games.

It was very difficult to break into the community on the RP server, mostly due to the small, closely knit community that are all somehow related to one another - and the feeling that no one really wanted to spend a lot of effort involving new folks that most likely wont be around in a few weeks.

The elders are so jaded at this point with people coming in, going 20-30 levels, then fading away. I don't blame them really - I was fairly hard-core and only made it to 50/50/30...

While I held on longer than the others, with my lair contributing to most of my time, one can only ferry resources back and forth for so long, alone, before deciding to 'put a fork in it'. That and I simply wasn't looking forward to running my RoP solo - it is truely something to be relished amongst friends.

If I were running the show at Virtrium, I'd try desperately to create incentives for players to congregate in a couple places - which they may be doing with the T2 revamp - I don't know.

I'd also rein-in the sprawl a bit - the housing on the servers was aimed at thousands of players. With only a hundred or so, they really need to coax people into building a couple centralized communites, rather than having everyone so spread out. (My lair is in Genevia, amongst a hundred or so vacant plots and lairs)

As it stands now, the few active folks are in a few of the remaining guilds and are located in some far-flung area of the world where their guild town is - and where no one can find them or get to them - so unless they're slumming in New Trismus, all they are is an occasional disembodied voice. 

I have two accounts, both paid in full for a year, so I'm positive I'll be back on and off - but currently my little dragon is enjoying a bit of an extended nap in one of the finished hall ways in his lair - cargo disc floating quietly nearby.

Boy, Rihan, if they can't even keep you, someone who really seemed to have fallen in love with the game, I wonder if there truly is any hope.

Do you think the problem could be the RP Server Order? I too found it to any empty, quiet place, where I could go an hour or so an literally hear no one else speak. It broke my heart a bit too, as I desperately wanted to love the game.

I've never played on the Order server, so I'm not sure about the reception one gets there. I know there seems to be some good people that I chat with on the forums from Order, but that doesn't always reflect how the shard itself feels.

I'm really sorry hear this, Rihan, as it sounded like you were having so much fun before. Have you considered hopping back on your previous character on Chaos or did you completely move everything you had to Order? If you ever do decide to visit us on the other shard, please feel free to look me up! 

User Deleted

OP  11/11/09 10:05:55 PM#22
Originally posted by PhelimReagh

Boy, Rihan, if they can't even keep you, someone who really seemed to have fallen in love with the game, I wonder if there truly is any hope.

Do you think the problem could be the RP Server Order? I too found it to any empty, quiet place, where I could go an hour or so an literally hear no one else speak. It broke my heart a bit too, as I desperately wanted to love the game.

The game is wonderful and I really enjoy the world, but Istaria makes a less than compelling single player game.

There are more people on Chaos, the general server, but Istaria has so much to offer the role player that I found Order to have a lot more draw for me.

Again, my accounts are paid for a year so I'm certain I'll be back. I just hope that the world wont feel quite so empty when I return. :)

User Deleted

OP  11/11/09 10:38:24 PM#23

I've never played on the Order server, so I'm not sure about the reception one gets there. I know there seems to be some good people that I chat with on the forums from Order, but that doesn't always reflect how the shard itself feels.

I'm really sorry hear this, Rihan, as it sounded like you were having so much fun before. Have you considered hopping back on your previous character on Chaos or did you completely move everything you had to Order? If you ever do decide to visit us on the other shard, please feel free to look me up! 

Ahh, the people of Order are a very friendly bunch and the reception is welcoming - but they've been through so many new players that vanish after a couple weeks, that they simply cannot get invested in anyone who isn't an alt of an established player.

This is no fault of theirs - I can understand completely.

Yes, I had a lot of fun whilst my friends were in-game - but the achievements of building a lair,  gaining flight, or even hunting the rare critter are best a shared experience... A vast lair full of wonderous treasures is merely a hole in the ground with a lot of time invested when you're the only one who ever sees it... Spreading one's wings for the first time and flying the skies of Istaria is just the end of another quest when there is no one to share the trials and joys of journey with.

Mayhaps the next time I travel the lands of Istaria, I will do so on the Chaos server once again and see where that leads me.

PhelimReagh

Apprentice Member

11/12/09 6:13:42 PM#24

Ahh, the people of Order are a very friendly bunch and the reception is welcoming - but they've been through so many new players that vanish after a couple weeks, that they simply cannot get invested in anyone who isn't an alt of an established player.

This is no fault of theirs - I can understand completely.

LOL. Oh come now, this isn't Christmas 1944 in the Ardennes, where making a buddy of a new guy will just mean stress when he's blown to smithereens a few days later. It's a game, and an MMORPG to boot, for which community is a feature.

I really don't think there's a valid excuse for not being very welcoming in a game that desperately needs new blood. The only explanation I can think of is that you don't care about getting new people or are burnt out on the game itself. Either scenario bodes ill for the game's future, most certainly.

There's only a few hundred people who play the darned game on all it's servers, so I don't see how it would be so hard to get everyone behind a "charm offensive" and seek out new folks, and ask veterans to get active in generally used public chat channels.

There's my two copper bits.

User Deleted

OP  12/14/09 6:52:27 AM#25

Aaannd I'm back...

I returned briefly to WoW (hey, everyone I know plays it - which basically makes it an IM client with a loot system...) and the guild I'm in has beaten the first round of 3.3 content (the night it came out and it's about a month until the next bit opens up), so I'm back in Istaria again.

They say 'distance makes the heart grow fonder' - I'm not really sure if I'll head back to the guild when the next gate opens as I think I'm simply tired of raiding. WoW, years ago, was a different game and it felt a bit like Istaria in that it was a 'world' and there were all of these very cool races working to control all of these very cool places. These days it is purely 'raid or die' and to be successful you pretty much go from instance to instance, repeating them as often as you can stomach, in order to get tokens to get the gear that enables you to go to the same instances you just did twenty times, but only harder.

So with this I downloaded the Istaria client again and logged in.

It really is like a breath of fresh air. My little dragon got up, shook himself off and headed to town to check my vault and to get a lay of the land. Everyone was very welcoming (even though I'm not sure they knew I was missing) and while it was still very quiet and there weren't many folks physically around, there was enough chatter in the dragon channel to keep things interesting.

I started working on my Rite of Passage quests again once I got my feet back under me - specifically gathering a few items that coincide with some small riddles given by a hermit; the eye of a specific kind of spider, the tooth of a kind of wolf, a shrunken head, and some ghostly goo... The first three were fairly easy; run around to find the critter, then lay down some Draconic pain on them until one coughs up the item. The last one ended up killing me about a half dozen times as I attempted to find the right critter...

The Withered Aegis - the chief 'bad guys' of Istaria - are all  versions of things you'd find elsewhere in the world, only dead and much more powerful. They all tend to undercon a bit (hit harder and have more hitpoints than you would expect for their level) and are extremely social, so they're a challenge any time you run into them. On top of this the critter I'm looking for is a leader type, and has an entourage all the time - and the hermit who sent me on this quest wasn't horribly specific about it.

So I start looking around for these wraiths and find some in a place called the Western Deadlands... This scenic vacation spot is completely overrun by the undead in the 50-80 range and from what I gather what I need is in there...

So I start scouting the area out, testing the strength of a few critters here and there, running away alot, and occasionally getting completely gang-banged... So I call for help.

A nice level 81 adult dragon drops what he's doing and flies out to where I am to help. I'm level 50, and figure I can help kill things so once he engages a group and has them all down about a quarter health, I run up and start chewing on something - this apparently is a mistake as everything he's fighting bee-lines for me and drives me like a tent peg.

This is where I learn that the AI in Istaria is very unforgiving - critters *will* kill the lowest level person first in a group combat. It makes sense from the critter's point of view - reduce the number of things you're fighting as quickly as possible, but it does make it hard to group with anyone slightly higher level than you.

This repeats a few times as I'm not one to sit back and let someone else do all the work for me, and I accrue a couple more death points before someone informs us that the thing we need is elsewhere in the world.

So, where I need to be is a long ways off and I don't have any attuned portals in the area, so I start running while the Dragon helping me goes back to what he was doing.

Istaria is a big place...

After 45 minutes of sight seeing, monster dodging, and jogging I reach the Northern Deadlands. The Dragon helping me flies in and we start tearing the Withered Aegis in the area apart. With every kill that doesn't drop the item we both groan but eventually the component drops, we cheer and dance around a bit, he heads back to crafting and I recall to turn in the quest.

So, two parts of the Rite done, two very fun and epic evenings had, and about a dozen more parts to complete before I can fly.

*This* is what makes Istaria so much fun.

Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

12/14/09 11:06:34 AM#26

Welcome back!

I just assisted a guildie in finishing her Helian RoP yesterday (it’s quite different from the Lunus RoP that I experienced). The final bout was a toughie -- we had to recruit a level 100 ancient and have a bi-ped healer/rezzer on hand. But we finally beat it! It's always quite the site and worth the struggle up on the Peak of Storms when a hatchling earns their wings. So keep working at it and best of luck!

For my RoP, I somehow soloed both Kaa and Lem... and let me tell you, it took a few hours and some death points, but that was a great feeling!

I've just started trying out a bi-ped character lately and they feel more difficult than my dragon was (at least in the lower levels). But it has that same sense of accomplishment when I do finally earn something I've worked so hard to get. I know exactly what you're talking about. :)

User Deleted

OP  12/14/09 5:01:33 PM#27

Welcome back!

I just assisted a guildie in finishing her Helian RoP yesterday (it’s quite different from the Lunus RoP that I experienced). The final bout was a toughie -- we had to recruit a level 100 ancient and have a bi-ped healer/rezzer on hand. But we finally beat it! It's always quite the site and worth the struggle up on the Peak of Storms when a hatchling earns their wings. So keep working at it and best of luck!

For my RoP, I somehow soloed both Kaa and Lem... and let me tell you, it took a few hours and some death points, but that was a great feeling!

I've just started trying out a bi-ped character lately and they feel more difficult than my dragon was (at least in the lower levels). But it has that same sense of accomplishment when I do finally earn something I've worked so hard to get. I know exactly what you're talking about. :)

Thank you.

I keep hearing the the Helian Rites are a lot harder. I would hope that each is roughly the same for difficulty, but different for content, but that may not be the way it is... Some day when I level my Lunus dragon, I'll be sure to evaluate the differences.

I also hope the final bit, as you mentioned, doesn't require so much assistance in my case. There aren't as many people on Order so gathering so many might be difficult. :)

As I research how others have done the bits of the quest I've completed (I'm not 'reading ahead' as it were and am trying to figure it out on my own) I get the impression that I'm having a much harder time of it, being a spell caster and all. The wraiths I had such a hard time with apparently pose little challenge to a melee Dragon who, at level 50, can take one out in a few hits, loot it, then run off until the entourage gives up the chase.

I'll be evaluating this as well as I progress. :)

I'm hopeful that by sticking to my guns and being true to my desire to master the Primal powers it'll all work out in the end. :)

Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

12/14/09 5:26:12 PM#28

Welcome back!

Thank you.

I keep hearing the the Helian Rites are a lot harder. I would hope that each is roughly the same for difficulty, but different for content, but that may not be the way it is... Some day when I level my Lunus dragon, I'll be sure to evaluate the differences.

I also hope the final bit, as you mentioned, doesn't require so much assistance in my case. There aren't as many people on Order so gathering so many might be difficult. :)

As I research how others have done the bits of the quest I've completed (I'm not 'reading ahead' as it were and am trying to figure it out on my own) I get the impression that I'm having a much harder time of it, being a spell caster and all. The wraiths I had such a hard time with apparently pose little challenge to a melee Dragon who, at level 50, can take one out in a few hits, loot it, then run off until the entourage gives up the chase.

I'll be evaluating this as well as I progress. :)

I'm hopeful that by sticking to my guns and being true to my desire to master the Primal powers it'll all work out in the end. :)

Dang I wish we were on the same server -- I'd be keeping you plenty of company (if you wanted it)! :D 

Though I didn't play through the Helian RoP from start to finish, from what my guildie said, there were parts of it that were more difficult than the Lunus RoP -- finding the drop from the wraiths was one of those. The Dragon for the final fight in the quest line was easier to get to in location for the Helian... but pretty much equivalent to take down from what I could tell.

Depending on your level, you'll probably need a dedicated healer and (if possible) someone to help beat off the adds at the start so that you can concentrate full power on your main target. It's hard enough to take the Dragon herself without being mobbed by the rest of her friends.

I've toyed around with the thought of making a Helian once I finish with my Lunus. The ancient that came to help us out was a spell caster with some very impressive spell damage! There certainly seems a lot of merit in it if you can hang in there! Let me know how it goes! 

And if by fluke you ever do decide to drop by Chaos, I'd love to meet you sometime. :)

velveeta

Apprentice Member

reine du fromage de blight

12/15/09 4:06:01 AM#29

only really doing it to join the upcoming holiday fun, but i have decided to create an alt on the live shards.

will be very strange not being uber or mostly uber.......

so look for me on either shard within the next few days - i always make my presence known, and i know a lot of good places to do things at.......

promiscuous advocate of mischief - OMG, wotsda BFD??
i take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe
ogle the menagerie: http://www.freewebs.com/velveeta/

Crispin

Novice Member

12/16/09 2:13:58 AM#30

What server is the most active? Chaos right? Would be nice to know, so I can change before I invest to much time on my character. 

User Deleted

OP  12/16/09 6:35:05 AM#31
Originally posted by Crispin

What server is the most active? Chaos right? Would be nice to know, so I can change before I invest to much time on my character. 

Having just transfered to Chaos - it certainly has more people on it, but it is a lot quieter.

On Order you'll only  actually 'see' a few other folks occasionally, usually in town, but for the most part the world seems pretty empty - but the two main chat channels, 'Dragon' and 'Marketplace', are always humming with activity.

Chaos is the opposite in my one-evening experience - there were people everywhere I went (even afk people count) and there were more people in 'Dragon' and 'Market' than were 'online' on Order, but over the course of the evening there were probably 30 lines of text across both channels.

This is probably entirely due to me not really knowing anyone on Chaos - but I did hop around the guild channels a bit and those were silent too.

Now, again, this is a one evening sample so your mileage my vary, but I'm willing to think with the higher overall population, folks were busy talking 'face to face' as it were.

Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

12/16/09 6:44:11 AM#32
Originally posted by Crispin

Everything I hear says that Chaos tends to have more players -- since it is the standard server, it makes sense that it would. Blight is a test server, but you can freely copy your characters there from other servers at any time if you wish to test and play. Order is the role play server if that is your interest.

Crispin

Novice Member

12/16/09 11:38:14 AM#33

I prefer rp no doubt, but I prefer people to play with more, so I think I'll go chaos, thanks. 

Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

12/16/09 11:56:36 AM#34

Crispin - Welcome to Chaos, if that's where you choose to go! Feel free to look me up if you need anything -- I'm usually playing my dragon, Kudako.

Rihahn - I must have missed you then! I wasn't on last night at all! Sorry to hear that. Did you transfer over completely or did you created a new character on Chaos? 

New Player Assistance is a good place to chat and get to know people (you don't have to be a new player to hang out there) -- I find that more active than Dragon or Marketplace quite often on Chaos. I would consider that more of your mainstream world chat, believe it or not. If I'm logged in, I'll always be found there. Feel free to say hello!

If you need anything, I or any of my guild members are usually ready and willing to lend a hand! And if you're looking for a group to join up with we're always open to meeting new people -- there's usually always someone to chat with in our guild chat. :) 

User Deleted

OP  12/16/09 2:03:40 PM#35

Crispin - Welcome to Chaos, if that's where you choose to go! Feel free to look me up if you need anything -- I'm usually playing my dragon, Kudako.

Rihahn - I must have missed you then! I wasn't on last night at all! Sorry to hear that. Did you transfer over completely or did you created a new character on Chaos? 

New Player Assistance is a good place to chat and get to know people (you don't have to be a new player to hang out there) -- I find that more active than Dragon or Marketplace quite often on Chaos. I would consider that more of your mainstream world chat, believe it or not. If I'm logged in, I'll always be found there. Feel free to say hello!

If you need anything, I or any of my guild members are usually ready and willing to lend a hand! And if you're looking for a group to join up with we're always open to meeting new people -- there's usually always someone to chat with in our guild chat. :) 

I transfered my original hatchling back to Chaos - I wanted to see how things were going on the other server and it was an excuse to give Virtrium an extra $25 for Christmas. :)

Last night must have been a fluke as this morning there were still a lot of folks on and they were quite chatty. I got a chance to help a younger hatchling with a Lieutenant outside Kion and I even managed to run into several players who were also "IC", which was very cool.

So, this means I can skip the drama on Order *and* still play a character as a character without being looked at as if I'd sprouted a second head. :)

So you'll probably see me quite a bit on Chaos - I'm the mother of pearl colored level 50 hatching working on the Helian Rite of Passage.

Aywren

Istaria Correspondent

12/16/09 2:20:05 PM#36

I transfered my original hatchling back to Chaos - I wanted to see how things were going on the other server and it was an excuse to give Virtrium an extra $25 for Christmas. :)

Last night must have been a fluke as this morning there were still a lot of folks on and they were quite chatty. I got a chance to help a younger hatchling with a Lieutenant outside Kion and I even managed to run into several players who were also "IC", which was very cool.

So, this means I can skip the drama on Order *and* still play a character as a character without being looked at as if I'd sprouted a second head. :)

So you'll probably see me quite a bit on Chaos - I'm the mother of pearl colored level 50 hatching working on the Helian Rite of Passage.

That's wonderful to hear! Chat does seem to vary depending, but I'd still suggest New Player Assistance as a place to connect. :D 

Yes, many players do talk "IC" when face to face on Chaos, especially if you give them an excuse to. I have my on and off times myself as I'm fairly casual, but if someone speaks to me  "IC" they'll get a response from me "IC" in return. I tend to play by ear and interact in the way the approaching character seems to enjoy most. I think you'll find that to be true with a number of Chaos players -- we'll slip in and out of RP when it seems desired. And no one gets frowned at for RPing that I've ever seen... most of us enjoy it when someone else gives us the RP nudge.

Welcome to Chaos, then (always sounds funny to say that). I hope you'll find your choice a good one... and maybe finally a new home. I'll probably be hanging around NT and New Player Assistance some tonight -- can't miss me. Big blue and yellow dragon known as Kudako. :) 

2 Pages « 1 2 Search