Trending Games | War Thunder | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,669 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,295,924
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Forum » General Discussion » Did ye ever hear tell of the Thunder and lightning?

4 posts found
  peladon

Novice Member

OP  12/07/08 5:34:57 PM#1

Greetings and honour to thee.

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Elders and wise... wise and old. Aye.. and those mayhap young also .

I bring among ye words of Istaria. And if those words be unfit, or yet improper, then indeed let them be set aside. For I bring them not to cozen any, but rather to seek any that might once have been Gifted. Indeed, I bear news to set before them, if they yet have ears that would hear.

If the names of Sonea or of Sephiranoth, or of Fool and Fair, or indeed of far Istaria still are words that set new ringing to old bells... then know that the gods of Istaria have moved. For the Tale of the Fool and the Fair, or at least that Book the First, hath been set to parchment by those gods, and those that choose may gather it by coin of the land called Real.

And thus it may be sought:

http://community.istaria.com/forum/showpost.php?p=209431&postcount=1

http://www.cafepress.com/istaria.336050522

My words are but the whisper of a forgotten wind. Let them be lost or found as suits the seeker.

Sephiranoth, called by some ShadowSeeker
Nobody and Nothing ever, save The Five do Feast
A Fool that walks among the Wise

talismen351

Apprentice Member

"Easy" only equals "better" for crack addicts and MMORPG developers.

12/13/08 11:11:22 PM#2

Well being as it took several reads to even get the gist of your post...I doubt I could understand a 400 hundred page book of that kinda forgotten writing.

peladon

Novice Member

OP  12/13/08 11:35:56 PM#3

And, of course, every word you write is quite valid .

All I can offer ( in what passes for a limited defence that none need accept if they choose otherwise) is the following:

1: There are a number of former players of Horizons for whom I do not have current contact details. This is one forum where they may, at least possibly, be found.

2: In my genuine intent to try to bring the matter to the attention of those players, I used a form and language with which they would be familiar if their paths had ever crossed that of Sephiranoth and Sonea.

3: I was deliberately _not_ trying to make a post which said ' Lookee! I and my co-author must be the cooolest dudes on the planet, because we have hypnotised someone into publishing something wot we writ! You're lives will be eternally diminished if you do not rush out and buy it immediately!' . Of course... we wouldn't actually be upset if you _did_... .

4: I believe it is fair to say that the language in the book is not a direct and pure echo of the type of speech Sephie has been known to use. There are instances of that speech, because Sephiranoth is in fact in the book.

While the book is ( we hope) deliberately written such that you do not have to ever have been a player of Horisons to find it readable, that is a judgement that in the end others must deliver. We, by definition, can be viewed as somewhat prejudiced.

In poor and final defense.. I offer the following:

<

She was born on a night when the very tempest demons stalked the heavens and made war against each other. Not one second passed that lacked the crash and roar of their voices, and the night sky was near to the brightness of day with the flash of their swords.

In a hut on the outer edge of Heather, as a young woman made the last push that cast a new-born into the world, a bolt flashed from the sky and tore the roof from their dwelling. As the rain fell in rivers about them, and the blood washed from her, she whispered into the face of the storm:

“Her name is Sonea. Sonea…”

And in that whisper, her spirit gave up the too-long and too-hard struggle. She lost her grasp on life, and she was gone. And the man who had been there each second, each cry, each scream, each moment of the struggle… wept. Wept as the sky wept and like never to cease. But cease he must, as the babe must have care and coin and food. And he did take up the babe and his sword, and set foot to the raven’s road that ever waited…

At least that was the tale Sonea’s father told her. For it had spirit and some nobility, and some ease for Sonea as she grew. And it was better than to speak of a wife who had found the charms of an inn-keeper and the inn he owned of more delight than the raising of a child, and the mercenary road her husband walked.

And each time, if Sonea was there, she would leave the fire or table and all would speak that it was sad that a child so lost a mother. And if any asked Sonea, then she would not speak, and if she showed sorrow, then the one who asked would never know how close he walked to death. And if she showed anger and rage, then any would understand at the daughter missing her mother and blaming herself, or the mother, or the very fates. And Sonea would herself become a demon of storm and take her rage elsewhere. For darker shadows than any knew attended the tale.

>

Sometimes-Sephiranoth

User Deleted
12/22/08 3:06:39 PM#4

Hmm, I read the above as (loosely translated) "Hey, old Horizons players, I and another have written a book, it is about Istaria, you should click the links and find out more and maybe even buy a copy."

It begs the question of what exactly they are teaching in schools these days. Even the daughters of my, albeit extended, family seem to be learning English form via five word sentences - typed out with their thumbs...

Then again, I often fall back on a more proper english mode - even with folks here at work. Being the Director of I.T. for a multinational (and all-around master of the technoarcane), this garners me some odd looks on occasion - but they've generally gotten used to me and my, eccentricities, over the last five years. :)

Anyways, thanks for the alert Seph, I'll be sure to check it out.