Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,786,905 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,272
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

18 posts found
  ianwelshy

Novice Member

Joined: 6/25/07
Posts: 25

 
OP  9/09/08 5:12:08 AM#1

hi guys i know there is a section for istaria but i just wanted to post on here to let everyone know how good it is to play this game.

i have been playing this game for nearly a month and in that time i have come to evnjoy playing this game and why u might ask well i have been thinking about this and this is what i have to say.

 

There is no pvp which for me is good as i hate pvp becaus ei am rubbish at it,then comes the crafting whoa i really like this part u have different schools to craft in it might be blacksmith(making weapons),armor(simple you make armor),jeweler it says what it is,there are loads more to choose from.

then you have the different races u can be a human,fiend,dwarf,gnome and more they all have their own special stats.and then we come to the best of the races and that is the dragon yes dragon i know youcan get this in wow but this is differnt imo you can only craft for dragons and no other race ther eis loads to do as a dragon which i will not go into now.the only thing about this game is that you have to pay but imo it is worth doing this as you are able to buy plots where you can build your own building i.e blacksmith,jewel maker etc and u can let other ppl that r in your guild use it.if you are a dragon then u can buy a lair and again u can add rooms to make spells,scales etc.

i think the graphics are not as good as other mmorpg games BUT it is ok to play.so come check it out u can play for 14 days for free to c if u like it.

  Omega3

Novice Member

Joined: 4/13/07
Posts: 396

9/09/08 5:36:46 AM#2
Originally posted by ianwelshy

i think the graphics are not as good as other mmorpg games BUT it is ok to play.so come check it out u can play for 14 days for free

That's how long i played Horizon 3 years ago.

This game does have a distinctive feel to it, and the ingredients to be a good sandbox MMO, but there is nothing else to do but endlessly grinding mobs without much of an AI...

Lack of content strikes good concept yet again :(

My addiction History:
>> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
>> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
>> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/04
Posts: 4717

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

9/09/08 10:05:30 AM#3

I have my games for relaxing and games for excitement.  Istaria (HZ) is my relaxing game.

Venge Sunsoar

 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  Uzik

Advanced Member

Joined: 2/12/04
Posts: 276

9/09/08 10:16:26 AM#4

I played Horizons on release.

Too bad they never did everything they said they were going to do  : /

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

  gillvane1

Novice Member

Joined: 3/15/05
Posts: 1508

Google "MMORPGMaker" if you want to make your own MMORPG.

9/09/08 10:38:47 AM#5

I've never played it, but I"ve heard it has a good crafting system.

The original idea was a good A.I. system that controlled Mobs (withered Aegis) trying to take over territory, and players would play cooperatively to prevent the Mobs from taking their territory, and to take over and hold territory from the Mobs.

Apparently they never got that far, but that was the concept.

  Ankua

Novice Member

Joined: 8/07/06
Posts: 64

9/09/08 4:32:31 PM#6

You will not be able to build a lair do to the fact that all the lair plots are owned by people no longer playing the game. We are approaching the two year mark of no plot reclaim.  Same goes for the larger ped plots.

 

You will find crafting is all about resource gathering believe me I know I have over 1800+ levels of crafting under my belt. The first few months game is new and exciting after that time you will find no economy, hardly any grouping and barely a population on it's servers.

The client and game engines are in horrid disarray. Eventually you will find the five to ten minute load screens on porting. It's not if it will happen only when it will happen. 

It's a good niche game if you want to play a dragon if not play another game. 

  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/04
Posts: 4717

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

9/10/08 5:41:07 PM#7
Originally posted by Ankua

You will not be able to build a lair do to the fact that all the lair plots are owned by people no longer playing the game. We are approaching the two year mark of no plot reclaim.  Same goes for the larger ped plots.

 

You will find crafting is all about resource gathering believe me I know I have over 1800+ levels of crafting under my belt. The first few months game is new and exciting after that time you will find no economy, hardly any grouping and barely a population on it's servers.

The client and game engines are in horrid disarray. Eventually you will find the five to ten minute load screens on porting. It's not if it will happen only when it will happen. 

It's a good niche game if you want to play a dragon if not play another game. 


 

You can build lairs.  Many are still not owned, and many more are actually condemned for plot reclamation.  All plots owned have been appropriated and the reclamation will start sometime (admittedly they are a couple months behind schedule now).  And all small biped plots not owned have been revamped and merged with others making bigger plots.  You sound like you are playing this, you should know it.

Yes crafting is all about resource gathering.

I have never had 5-10 minute load screens porting even way back at christmas of 2003.  Actually my highest is about 2 minutes way back then, and since I resubbed 5-6 months ago, it's been about 20 seconds tops.

Venge Sunsoar

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  Ankua

Novice Member

Joined: 8/07/06
Posts: 64

9/10/08 8:16:14 PM#8

I left the game about 2 months ago the plots were being resized and breaking on the regular shard. Guild lairs do not count when the master plot owner no longer plays so you cannot buy them. As for the ped plots the ones for sale you really could not use due to the size of them. 

Well, when is reclaim?  The last one was before EI bought the game back in July 06. So there are plots not worth to build on in my opinion maybe on order but not on chaos shard.

Next your going to tell me the client is fine and no problems right? The same issues are still there as they were in beta I now I was there. i finally gave up on the game its a niche game for dragon player characters. The game offers very little to peds when you compare it to other mmo's out right now.

This game is all about the grind I should know I was insane enough to stick with it for as long as I did. 

What was the gift handed out for the gifted accounts when VI took over?  I received nothing and I believe most received nada but hey the developers for this game just continue the trend of big promises no actual  progress.

VI has done more than I thought they could but there will be no more major upgrades to this game there are simply not enough developers to do what truly is needed. Like I said niche game for people who want to play dragon characters.

I seriously doubt your statement but lets go with two minute ports. I know many have had this problem consider yourself lucky then. How long does porting take in  the other games? See the problem is with the server engine and the client since you need to reload all the structures and landscape hence you always see some buiding part 23 or so loading.

Better games out if you play anything other than a dragon.   It is only my opinion but you should know the same bugs still exist and nothing will ever be done to fix them the code is a mess from Atari days. The left no notes in the code so development is doomed to be trial and error fix one thing and break another.

  ianwelshy

Novice Member

Joined: 6/25/07
Posts: 25

 
OP  9/11/08 8:18:22 AM#9

sorry mate but i disagree with like i said in my first post the graphics are not good but to be honest i like th egrinding and grinding and crafting so for me it is a very good game and when they start selling plots and lairs then it will be even better.but like i say everyone is entitled to their opions and fair enough u have yours.

  green13

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/02/06
Posts: 1326

9/11/08 6:05:41 PM#10
Originally posted by ianwelshy

then you have the different races u can be a human,fiend,dwarf,gnome and more they all have their own special stats.and then we come to the best of the races and that is the dragon yes dragon i know youcan get this in wow but this is differnt

You can play a dragon in WoW?

I think Ankua is right about lairs. I used to play on the Chaos shard and I got one of the last few un-owned ones about a year ago. There certainly are not many still unowned - I had a look now and counted 3.

It is a shame cos it's one of the game's better features. Not being able to finish mine is something I still regret.

And like Ankua I suffered from monstrous load times - with a p4 and 2 gig of ram 5+ minutes to load was not uncommon. You eventually adjust your gameplay to minimise use of portals - and use the load times to go do afk stuff.

 

 

  jeddak

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/14/05
Posts: 251

This too shall pass...

9/12/08 7:56:49 AM#11

I miss my dragon still to this day (loved soaring through the world) but once I reached adulthood and lairs were a long way off I lost all interest in the game. Tthe community projects were fun and involved but as always the grinding was a pain. I don't miss the massive lag of 'events' either. If I wasn't always busy in other mmo's I might of come back at some point just to experience it once again. It could of been great instead of just a footnote.

UO,EQ (best mmo's). Been in lotro for almost 7 years mostly in pvp as a lovable spider: Mummy

  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/04
Posts: 4717

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

9/12/08 10:19:34 AM#12
Originally posted by Ankua

I left the game about 2 months ago the plots were being resized and breaking on the regular shard. Guild lairs do not count when the master plot owner no longer plays so you cannot buy them. As for the ped plots the ones for sale you really could not use due to the size of them. 

Well, when is reclaim?  The last one was before EI bought the game back in July 06. So there are plots not worth to build on in my opinion maybe on order but not on chaos shard.

Next your going to tell me the client is fine and no problems right? The same issues are still there as they were in beta I now I was there. i finally gave up on the game its a niche game for dragon player characters. The game offers very little to peds when you compare it to other mmo's out right now.

This game is all about the grind I should know I was insane enough to stick with it for as long as I did. 

What was the gift handed out for the gifted accounts when VI took over?  I received nothing and I believe most received nada but hey the developers for this game just continue the trend of big promises no actual  progress.

VI has done more than I thought they could but there will be no more major upgrades to this game there are simply not enough developers to do what truly is needed. Like I said niche game for people who want to play dragon characters.

I seriously doubt your statement but lets go with two minute ports. I know many have had this problem consider yourself lucky then. How long does porting take in  the other games? See the problem is with the server engine and the client since you need to reload all the structures and landscape hence you always see some buiding part 23 or so loading.

Better games out if you play anything other than a dragon.   It is only my opinion but you should know the same bugs still exist and nothing will ever be done to fix them the code is a mess from Atari days. The left no notes in the code so development is doomed to be trial and error fix one thing and break another.


 

I honestly don't know when the reclaim is going to happen, however the resize is done and as I said there are still a lot of dragon lairs not owned.  I took my dragon on a tour a couple weeks ago and find 15 lairs not owned, and that was by no means all of them.  That was just how many I found before I became bored. 

As for a gift handed out, I have no idea and really could care less.

I dont' expect major updates or really anything really.  Yes the server still has lag qutie a bit of it, not a lot of bugs though, or if there are I haven't come across really anything significant enough to worry about, but I do hitch when coming into towns, all towns really.  Anymore than 5 or so people and it starts getting fairly chunky.

And better games out it depends on what you want.  I do like to play a dragon.  And when it comes to skills and crafting I don't think anything touches this game.  My biped can be everything, a virtual god. 

But it is a grind.  However this is not my only game, actually I'm playing 3 games right now.  Istaria is my relaxing game, when I just want to get on and veg for abit, this is the game I play and for that it's perfect.

Venge Sunsoar

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  shadowmage

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/03
Posts: 188

9/20/08 9:24:50 PM#13

The reclaim has happened just waiting on the plot bugs to be all fixed so the actions can be started.

Emissary of Istaria

  green13

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/02/06
Posts: 1326

10/04/08 12:06:00 AM#14
Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I honestly don't know when the reclaim is going to happen, however the resize is done and as I said there are still a lot of dragon lairs not owned.  I took my dragon on a tour a couple weeks ago and find 15 lairs not owned, and that was by no means all of them.  That was just how many I found before I became bored. 

 

You're claiming to have seen 15 unowned lairs?

Across all three servers there is currently a grand total of 23 unowned lairs, and the majority of those (20) are on the test server.

And re reclamation, I've just heard that dragon lairs won't be included in the upcoming long-promised reclamation, only biped plots. No ETA was offered for lair reclamations.


  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/04
Posts: 4717

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

10/04/08 1:15:34 AM#15

Haven't checked on blight or chaos but order has more than a few.  But on order there are 3 up on that ice island who's name I can never remember, 4 east and north of feladan and several more on all the added islands.  If you are using the plot for sale/auction on the webpage on login, that is not very accurate, need to go look at them yourself.

Can't comment on dragon plots not being part of reclaimation, but next time I'm in I'll see if there are any condemned.

Venge Sunsoar

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  green13

Advanced Member

Joined: 8/02/06
Posts: 1326

10/04/08 2:41:07 AM#16

http://bristugo.com/node/59

Back when I was playing, this was definitely 100% accurate for Chaos. But it's probably based on the same sale/auction list on the login webpage. Have they stopped updating that?

Dragon lairs not being part of plot reclamation came via a ticket response.

  VengeSunsoar

Advanced Member

Joined: 3/10/04
Posts: 4717

Be Brief, Be Bright... Be Gone.

10/04/08 11:55:32 AM#17

Just took my biped out to heather to collect tier 2 gems.  There are two dragon lairs, 1 in owned, the other is condemned.

Now that doesn't necessarily mean it will be up for auction but it is promising.

Venge Sunsoar

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

  shadowmage

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/20/03
Posts: 188

10/04/08 12:02:59 PM#18

I am oretty sure even thought they only say lairs in the Oct Dev post that they mean both lairs and Plots will being cleared and released. not reason for them to not be included.

Emissary of Istaria