Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,351 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,348
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Forum » General Discussion » Horizon's now called Istaria

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
39 posts found
  shadowmage

Advanced Member

4/23/08 2:04:56 PM#21

Ah yes Wolves I know are social and I think Skeletons and other humoinoid can be  social. I have not hunted in that level range for ages.  I bet if you ask over at http://community.istaria.com/forum/ some of the biped players can help, if that is what you are playing. If your playing a dragon then I have a better understanding of your problem. Dragons are much much harder to play sub 10. At level 10 you get access to your first ability quest and once you get all those things become much easier as a dragon but still takes a while to ramp up.

If your a biped, one thing you can do to help your live is take a few levels of Cleric for the heal spells. If you do not know you can switch classes at the class trainer as much as you want and as often as you want. You do not lose skill or levels or abilities.  Your current class just limits you to what spells and abilities you have currently. The basic heals are usable by most classes so having a few levels of cleric would give yo access to these heals and help your survial.

Emissary of Istaria

green13

Advanced Member

4/25/08 3:32:20 AM#22

Originally posted by Xiaoki

In the first town I got a quest to talk to some guy and he gave me a quest to kill 5 skeletons. I would carefully pull 1 away skeleton away but it didnt matter. If another skeleton even looked in my direction it would come running. I eventually finished the quest but I had to pull 1 far away and if I pulled another I would kill the first the run from the others.

Another quest was to talk to aspects of Wit, Soul, Speed, etc. I had to run through areas chock full of skeletons, mages and small wolves that would swarm and kill me.

And this was at level 5. I got to level 4 on the starter island and then got level 5 by killing bugs for shells.

I think there are several spawn points for skeletons on New Trismus. If you take the fork to the right (that leads towards the wolves), the skeletons up on the hill to the right are pretty mean and very difficult to single out. I left them totally alone until I got the quest to kill the named skeleton there.

But there are other skeletons if you take the fork to the left - not far along is a trail that goes up the hill to a couple of trainers - druid and a few others. From memory there are skeletons there that are much, much easier to kill for that quest.

The wolves are trickier. I think I know the spot you're talking about - it's on the road right at the north of the island just before one of those aspect guys. I cheated a little at that point - sprinted through, talked to the aspect guy and recalled.

However, your criticism is probably fair - there are several fairly noob-unfriendly spots on the island.

dand3

Novice Member

5/02/08 4:13:35 PM#23

Because stocking of the beginner areas' consigners was erratic, refurbished gear was added; very slightly less effective, much cheaper, always in stock.  

Like many games with a mature player base, it's important to join a guild.  Most have a policy of not charging members, and many players use in-guild chat and don't look much at the marketplace channel.  Guild members will supply advice as well as gear. 

Graphics performance is variable.  I have ground clutter turned off, cloth, and shadows turned off, and everything else including view distance maxed, AA=2.   2.6 GHz Pentium IV, 2G RAM, 37 G Raptor HDD, 7900GS AGP video (about = to 7600GT), cable modem; not state of the art by any means.  Very rare hitching, very little lag.  This has slowly improved, both the game and the vid card upgrades contributing.

Geeky

Novice Member

5/02/08 10:09:56 PM#24

I'm nearing the end of my 14 day free trial and will probably sub up for a month.

I've always liked this game and the way it plays.  The new ownership has already changed alot.  There are alot more quests than there used to be, and I'm actaully seeing useful drops for those of us who like to adventure more than craft.

I'm actually having a good time.  I'm glad to see this game still going and hope that a few hundred more people join up.  Thats all I feel this game is currently missing...MM of it's MMORPG.

green13

Advanced Member

5/03/08 5:40:23 PM#25

Originally posted by Geeky

I'm glad to see this game still going and hope that a few hundred more people join up.  Thats all I feel this game is currently missing...MM of it's MMORPG.

I liked this game and on the whole think it's worth playing. But it's hard to imagine this happening with the current game.

1) The graphics/engine are old and slow. That's going to immediately put off a large proportion of people who've ever played other mmos before they get the chance to see what this game has that others don't.

2) Biped multiclassing effectively kills the MM all by itself. I've never played an mmo where the game mechanics discourage teaming up so much. It's quite ironic, since so many of the game's other components (eg. crafting, building) are geared so strongly towards co-operative gameplay.

dand3

Novice Member

5/03/08 10:47:32 PM#26

Biped multiclassing isn't that great a factor until you have multiple level 100's under your belt.  Some time ago, 2 years perhaps, the sentient Evils, the Withered Aegis were "evolved" ; i.e. upgraded to continue to challenge the multi-classed.  Critters in general were not evolved, so you have a good breadth of difficulty; some fairly easy targets for their level, some quite a bit harder, especially at the upper levels.

Dragons (the most popular race) do not multiclass.  The Dragon Rite quest lines pretty much require grouping, and the epic bosses certainly do also.  In general though, people group because they enjoy the company as much as for the need for attack power.

The engine and models are both being worked on.  Nothing radical, but steady improvement, especially in performance.

Since Virtrium took over the game, there has been a steady increase in the player population.  It's not back to the level it had rerisen to before the disastrous sale to EI/PMI, but it is increasing; with an extra jump now that the European players have been transported from their server to the American servers.  I'd strongly suggest joining a guild, which helps too.

I could be wrong, but I think the Vista compatibility changes will be completed before Virtrium starts advertising seriously for new players.

Katashi-kun

Novice Member

5/03/08 10:52:54 PM#27

Darn was gonna give it a try again but they don't support Windows Vista atm!

Kemih ~ 13 Red Mage | Currently playing FFXI & LOTRO, awaiting Warhammer Online & Aion...

green13

Advanced Member

5/03/08 11:02:35 PM#28
Originally posted by Katashi-kun

Neither should you! :P

Mysta

Advanced Member

5/03/08 11:07:07 PM#29
Originally posted by green13

lol, when will these posts stop, vista is fine.

green13

Advanced Member

5/03/08 11:17:13 PM#30

Originally posted by dand3

Dragons (the most popular race) do not multiclass.  The Dragon Rite quest lines pretty much require grouping, and the epic bosses certainly do also.  In general though, people group because they enjoy the company as much as for the need for attack power.

When I say 'teaming up' or 'grouping' with regards to an mmo, I refer to the common practice of several similar level/powered players forming a team. What happens with dragons needing to kill epic bosses isn't teaming. It's several max-level dragons coming along to kill something while you sit quietly and safely out of the way because that epic boss could kill you twice with one swipe.

There's a world of difference.

I played both dragons and bipeds and watched others running around, and teaming as you see it in other mmos is a very rare occurrence. Even low level bipeds with a little bit of multi-classing are very self-sufficient. And the fact is that the majority of the game's population are max or near max level. So player interaction with regards to combat mostly consists of players buffing each other in passing.

For me, this was the single most disappointing aspect of gameplay. 'Company' as you put it, was something I got from guild chat. But interactive team combat was entirely lacking.

katriell

Novice Member

Boredom is in the temperament of the beholder.

5/04/08 12:44:48 AM#31

Originally posted by MystaIV

Only by the standards of people who don't know any better. The few benefits of Vista only apply to people who don't have the computer skill and (un)common sense to replicate similar results on other operating systems.

-----------

In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

brostyn

Novice Member

Cynical? Me? Never.

5/04/08 12:53:32 AM#32

Awhile ago MMORPG gave away 3 free months to this game. I was one of the winners. I was really enjoying my time, and was going to sign up. About 1 month into my free time they sold the game, fired the community relations person, and the game went straight to crap.

I may give this game a try, but I just don't know. The way the former owners treated the players is about as bad as it gets.

Its been noted this game is 85% about crafting, and 1% socializing. Who buys all the crafted gear, anyways?

green13

Advanced Member

5/04/08 2:34:21 AM#33

Originally posted by katriell

Only by the standards of people who don't know any better. The few benefits of Vista only apply to people who don't have the computer skill and (un)common sense to replicate similar results on other operating systems.

I have to agree.

My only experience with Vista is on my flatmate's computer and the damn thing just about makes me want to scream. It's slooooow, and always asking me to do things. It's.... it's worse than babysitting a three-year old. And at least with a three-year old - well I can stick them in front of a Disney movie and throw cookies at them occasionally and they'll mostly leave me alone to do my own stuff...

green13

Advanced Member

5/04/08 2:43:37 AM#34

Originally posted by brostyn

I may give this game a try, but I just don't know. The way the former owners treated the players is about as bad as it gets.

Its been noted this game is 85% about crafting, and 1% socializing. Who buys all the crafted gear, anyways?

Like you know, there's been a change in ownership.

I've had mixed experience in dealing with the new owners, and no longer play specifically because of a serious disagreement I had with them over their tolerance of religious slurs.

But apart from their unwillingness to deal with the troublesome elements of the playerbase, they seem a big improvement on previous owners. Since taking over, they've fixed a lot of bugs and are making smart improvements to the game.

Cynics would say the game is 85% crafting. The truth is if you join a big enough guild, you can (with a few exceptions) get by without it.

As for who buys crafted gear.... I don't think anyone does. Mostly players will get gear crafted for them by guildies, or craft it for themselves. The only gear you normally buy is from old, old, old players who have recipes which have since been removed from the game.

It's one of those weird things that Istaria does a bit differently. When other games decide something is imbalanced etc. and they remove it, they remove it. In Istaria they allow anyone who has it to keep it, but don't let anyone else get it. Some of that gear is pretty sweet and that stuff sells.

Maybe with the confectionery changes, consumables will create a bit more of an economy?

Hadesprime

Novice Member

5/04/08 6:08:12 PM#35

I hate to break it to you... but MS is going to be forcing people away from XP very soon. So its not a matter of going oooh Im a computer geek I'm still running XP WEEEE!!! If it takes any computer skill its knowing how to make Vista work on par with XP which can be figured out easily. That or you can look it up on google.

Berating Vista even if its deserved does not deflect from the fact that vitrium hasen't a clue on how to make horizons truely compatible with Vista. When in all reality all they really have to do is redo some of that sloppy dot net programming they have going on in the game, then it will work with vista like a dream.

btw what other operating systems are you talking about ? Istaria is completely dependent on the dot net frame work. So its windows for this game or nothing.

<modedit>

green13

Advanced Member

5/05/08 4:29:58 AM#36

Originally posted by Hadesprime

btw what other operating systems are you talking about ? Istaria is completely dependent on the dot net frame work. So its windows for this game or nothing.

I'm pretty sure the point Kat was trying to make was that Vista's few supposed benefits are features that can be achieved with other operating systems.

I haven't played that much with Vista, but I've looked that the features on the box and I already have all of those features (that I want) with xp + other software I've installed. And most of that, free-to-download.

I upgraded from 98 to xp for better performance. I've only used vista on one machine, and the performance was shocking and the constant attention it seems to require is perverse.

katriell

Novice Member

Boredom is in the temperament of the beholder.

5/05/08 5:17:40 AM#37

I played Istaria on Linux recently via Wine. It doesn't run as smoothly that way, but it does work.

-----------

In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

Bruwin

Novice Member

5/05/08 5:26:05 AM#38

I hate to break it to you... but MS is going to be forcing people away from XP very soon. So its not a matter of going oooh Im a computer geek I'm still running XP WEEEE!!! If it takes any computer skill its knowing how to make Vista work on par with XP which can be figured out easily. That or you can look it up on google.

Berating Vista even if its deserved does not deflect from the fact that vitrium hasen't a clue on how to make horizons truely compatible with Vista. When in all reality all they really have to do is redo some of that sloppy dot net programming they have going on in the game, then it will work with vista like a dream.

<modedit>

Actually, the time when people are "forced" to upgrade to Vista has been pushed back by Microsoft

http://www.news.com/Microsoft-extends-Windows-XPs-stay/2100-1016_3-6210524.html

There's even rumors to the effect that support for XP will continue past the new date given by MS. It will depend on if their new version of windows, currently named Windows 7, ships on time.

Hadesprime

Novice Member

5/05/08 1:35:34 PM#39

Originally posted by Bruwin

<modedit>

Actually, the time when people are "forced" to upgrade to Vista has been pushed back by Microsoft

http://www.news.com/Microsoft-extends-Windows-XPs-stay/2100-1016_3-6210524.html

There's even rumors to the effect that support for XP will continue past the new date given by MS. It will depend on if their new version of windows, currently named Windows 7, ships on time.

No

The current date for XP to stop shipping in its entirety is June. I believe we might see that pushed to Christmas. When I said forced I meant that you are going to stop seeing DX9 games being developed, everything will be developed with DX10 and above. The hardware will be developed to work around the latest Operating systems.

you can still use XP all you like, I have set it as a dual boot and on VM option on another computer. But the fact is you are going to have to figure your way around vista. Windows 7 will be a build upon of vista.

XP had a good run. But its showing its age now especially as hardware continues its stead fast forward march. XP is a definite step backwards for that hardware.

To be blunt and I have had to tweak Vista but I have a vista computer right now that is faster than any XP box I have with the same hardware specs. Problem is that Microsoft went to far when trying to address the holes that programmers were exploiting with dot net. This is one of the reasons why Horizons does not work in Vista, crappy programming by Tulga.

if you want functional 64 bit computing as well you have no choice but to go to Vista. Linux 64 Bit options aren't that great to be blunt.

Wine  does not work well with HZ and its not a viable uncommon sense approach... it barely works well for windows games. if it did along with lets say Cross over for Linux than heck even I wouldn't have a windows OS. But the fact is they don't run windows games even with the wine project and others. In that two computers same specs... one will barely run a game like WoW and the other won't. Windows is still your best bet for games and i doubt the open source community will ever get its crap together enough to make an OS that is a viable alternative to windows in the real world.

So if you can use google and you are willing to try... mess around with Vista. It can be made to run just as well as XP. Lets hope windows 7 turns out to be what vista should have been. Cause right now there is NO alternative period for a PC based gamer.

This of course does not mean I wish I couldn't just be running Linux, cause I have those running options available to me. But for what I do in the business world with a PC and the fact that I also game makes windows my only option. Linux is a cool I did that OS , its a nice thing to have installed. It has a long ways to go before it can ever be a primary OS for a user such as myself, much much longer for the average user.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search