Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,736,569 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,174,951
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Forum » General Discussion » Horizon's now called Istaria

2 Pages 1 2 » Search
39 posts found
  Teala

Spotlight Poster

"Really officer, they're herbs."

OP  4/14/08 10:48:02 PM#1

So with a new name and management, will the game finally die or will it see new life.  Also, will MMORP.com change the name of the game as it is now listed as Horizons to Istaria?

Read It Here  <<<< clicky

katriell

Novice Member

Boredom is in the temperament of the beholder.

4/15/08 6:14:04 AM#2

It is already gaining new life under the care of Virtrium, and I believe its condition will continue to improve. They know precisely what kind of game they are dealing with, and instead of trying to fundamentally change it in vain pursuit of the mythological universal appeal, they are nurturing and accentuating it to fulfill more of the potential of its own niche.

-----------

In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

vickypollard

Apprentice Member

4/15/08 6:32:34 AM#3

The game still stinks and is badly optimized.

Recant

Apprentice Member

For the Horde!

4/15/08 7:10:41 AM#4

I still have the original game box and CD.  The screenshots on the back still look lovely.  I wonder if that old CD will even allow me to play anymore.

I remember how poor the graphics engine was, utterly terrible frame-rates, surely things are better now?  I remember seeing housing plots and thinking - woah, build your own cities... and the starting races looked so nice, especially the dragons.

How did this game pan out in the end, were things ever improved?

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

punkrock

Novice Member

4/15/08 7:18:53 AM#5

nice. i want to try it. seems like its gotten better. lets all just  hope ;)

MYSPACE ACCOUNT

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=80721225

Which FF Character Are You?

boognish75

Novice Member

People take mmo''s way to seriously

4/15/08 7:26:07 AM#6

why do you have the nazi flag in yer sig?

playing eq2 and two worlds

Kenze

Novice Member

4/15/08 7:45:28 AM#7

Istaria: Chronicles of the Crafter

If anyone has ever wanting a game that is nearly 100% about the crafting this is it. Adventuring fells like an afterthought or just a means to better gathering areas for crafting. To be so old the game still runs like crap on new hardware and Ive found the community to be very unfriendly almost like they hold resentment against anyone who didnt stick with the game from the beginning as they did. I wish Istaria luck in success.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

gillvane1

Novice Member

Google "MMORPGMaker" if you want to make your own MMORPG.

4/15/08 8:23:47 AM#8

Originally posted by Kenze

Istaria: Chronicles of the Crafter

If anyone has ever wanting a game that is nearly 100% about the crafting this is it. Adventuring fells like an afterthought or just a means to better gathering areas for crafting. To be so old the game still runs like crap on new hardware and Ive found the community to be very unfriendly almost like they hold resentment against anyone who didnt stick with the game from the beginning as they did. I wish Istaria luck in success.

Horizons always got high marks for it's crafting system, but not much else. I'd like to see a full fledged MMO use this sort of crafting system.

Skoll

Novice Member

You have no body, no blood, no bones, you are but a
thought.

4/15/08 8:28:28 AM#9
Originally posted by boognish75

why do you have the nazi flag in yer sig?

An attempt at humor, i suppose.

OT: I am glad that horizons did not die, however i doubt a lot of people will be returning to it. It's graphics are outdated and most have probably found other mmo's and games they enjoy. I do hope horizon keeps on living for the people who would still stay with it.

Lydon

Hard Core Member

4/15/08 8:46:19 AM#10
Originally posted by vickypollard

What's with the sig?

Czzarre

Novice Member

MMORPG Character Monuments

...When its time for your character to take a well deserved rest...

4/15/08 10:52:53 AM#11

I guess my question is, what was the ultimate flaw in Horizons and  was it adressed in its new form: Istaria

p.s. Ill majke sure to change the name on the MMORPG Finder

Torrential

Hadesprime

Novice Member

4/15/08 12:25:08 PM#12

Originally posted by Recant

I still have the original game box and CD.  The screenshots on the back still look lovely.  I wonder if that old CD will even allow me to play anymore.

I remember how poor the graphics engine was, utterly terrible frame-rates, surely things are better now?  I remember seeing housing plots and thinking - woah, build your own cities... and the starting races looked so nice, especially the dragons.

How did this game pan out in the end, were things ever improved?

performance still bites though improved. But not improved enough. Lets say it performs only just now on par with Vanguard... the graphics arent anywhere near as nice though.

There isnt any content to speak of either. No its not about the quest systems of WoW. I think people get tired of that after awhile. But rather there is no in game lore, no in game content to speak out. People pretty much just drag cargo discs around crafting 10000 swords in a few seconds after having spent days gathering all the materials. Thats pretty much all people do.

2 bankrupticies later its still around.

its a small niche game. its never going to surpass the 10K subscriber mark again. But it won't need to in order to continue to survive.

punkrock

Novice Member

4/15/08 8:57:04 PM#13

i tryed the game i did not like it. the camra was weird and nothing to really fight. but beautiful lands thou loved them! only thing i liked really. i got no weps could not find anyhting for the quest. and i dont do crafting lol ever!

MYSPACE ACCOUNT

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=80721225

Which FF Character Are You?

green13

Apprentice Member

4/16/08 1:31:20 AM#14

I think it's overly harsh to call this game 'crap' or claim all it gets right is crafting. I think it's more accurate to say this game isn't well-rounded.

What it gets right, it gets really right, which explains how the game survived in its terrible state for so many years.

The Good

The crafting is very good - of the mmos I've played (lots) I'd only put Ryzom ahead of it.

Dragons are cool. They look really good - the graphics and animations are great. And dragon lairs are just unreal.

Buildings - being able to build stuff is neat and gives you a sense of 'belonging' in the gameworld. Other mmos should be trying to emulate this.

Events - never got to see these myself, but they look like a good part of the game.

Bipeds (what they call non-dragons) can multiclass. This makes for interesting solo gameplay.

Community is generally pretty helpful and friendly.

The Bad

Very long load times when zoning.

Very memory intensive. With a 3 ghz processor and 2 gig of RAM, I had to play with all the graphics setting down and had to reboot my computer every 3-4 hours.

Biped multiclassing has a huge downside - the mechanics effectively kill what is a key component of most other mmos - team play. Most teaming up happens to help someone kill a mob they need for a quest and it's usually a higher level player coming in to whomp it.

Dragons can't multiclass and currently while they claim you can play as melee or spellcaster, melee dragons can kill stuff about 4-5 times faster than a caster. It makes a joke of the points you receive each level when there is a single, clearly most effective build for dragons.

Dragons have to craft at least a bit if they ever want to fly. I like crafting so this never bothered me, but it might put some off.

The community has a dark side, and they tend to run rampant.

The Future

Probably good. The new folk have already fixed a lot of the bugs this game suffered with for years. And the dragon factor alone will keep at least a trickle of new players flowing in.

Player_420

Novice Member

4/16/08 1:27:55 PM#15

can we get the Nazi off the fourms?

plz

I play all ghame

Player_420

Novice Member

4/16/08 1:30:25 PM#16
Originally posted by Player_420

can we get the Nazi off the fourms?

plz

and I mean rly, this guy has Nazi symbol on his sig and stuff...not very cool

I play all ghame

Xiaoki

Advanced Member

4/22/08 6:45:11 PM#17

I tried it and couldn't keep playing, I wanted to like it because it has neat races and great class options.

The controls stunk, the UI was terrible and the combat was almost as bad. The graphics and performance were not great but I could get around that.

What really killed it for me was how this game is essentially made to severely punish anyone below 10. At level 5 I was attracting swarms of mobs from 50 yards away. This was only compounded by having little to no armor because the people on the auction house thought it would be hilarious to sell level 1 armor for 1 silver a piece.

I'm not expecting them to make it a WoW clone or something but you won't get new players when they have early experiences like that.

Pretty easy to see why this game has done as badly as it has.

green13

Apprentice Member

4/22/08 7:18:51 PM#18

The UI... takes a bit of getting used to. The good thing about it is you can clone it and place them pretty much anywhere on the screen. But I had that same initial reaction that you did.

The expense of noob gear and the auction house has always been a bit of a problem. There are ways for new players to make decent cash - but they're not immediately obvious and most of them require harvesting/crafting. Not all players enjoy or want to do this.

This is one of the pitfalls of community driven economies. Relying on players to stock vendors with reasonably priced noob gear tends not to work consistently.

I wouldn't say this for most other games, but begging shamelessly is your best bet here. There are more than a few nice, high level players who would craft you a set of gear, and a few more upgrades for you to stash in your vault.

shadowmage

Advanced Member

4/23/08 8:55:42 AM#19

Yes try asking if anyone will craft gear for you if you gather the resources. A lot of people will do that for free. Also look at the referb gear. There should be a vendor on the first starter Island New Trish that offers non player gear.  As to the aggroing form so far where were you playing? They should not be doing that at that level I am pretty sure. But that could depend on where you were hunting. Also you might wish to go over to the official forums as you can find a lot more help there.

Emissary of Istaria

Xiaoki

Advanced Member

4/23/08 12:12:28 PM#20

Originally posted by shadowmage

As to the aggroing form so far where were you playing? They should not be doing that at that level I am pretty sure. But that could depend on where you were hunting.

In the first town I got a quest to talk to some guy and he gave me a quest to kill 5 skeletons. I would carefully pull 1 away skeleton away but it didnt matter. If another skeleton even looked in my direction it would come running. I eventually finished the quest but I had to pull 1 far away and if I pulled another I would kill the first the run from the others.

Another quest was to talk to aspects of Wit, Soul, Speed, etc. I had to run through areas chock full of skeletons, mages and small wolves that would swarm and kill me.

And this was at level 5. I got to level 4 on the starter island and then got level 5 by killing bugs for shells.

2 Pages 1 2 » Search