Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,790,774 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,194,229
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Forum » General Discussion » Exclusive Interview with Rick Simmons on RPG Vault

5 posts found
  shadowmage

Advanced Member

OP  4/14/08 1:56:25 PM#1

Posted by CM Amarië Ancalímon on the main forums:

For those who don't travel the internet regularly looking for news about Istaria, our very own Rick Simmons has a brand new interview posted this morning on RPG Vault.

Please note that as this is an exclusive interview, we'd ask that you do not repost any portion of (or the whole of) the interview here. Feel free to discuss it and make reference to what is said there, but reposting of the interview questions or answers goes against the agreement we made with the folks at the Vault, and we'd like to respect that.

And for those who might recall our "April Fool" joke from two weeks ago... This time the name change is for real. (How's that for a teaser that's going to make everyone want to go read to see what I'm talking about?)

Interesting read so far. Really so about the T6 content coming down the line.

Emissary of Istaria

green13

Advanced Member

4/14/08 9:22:50 PM#2

Interesting article.

I think it's great that they're going to revive the event side of the game. It was something I never got to experience in this game but which always strongly appealed. Bringing those back can only be good.

I'm a bit dubious about the load time improvement claim though. I have 2 gig of RAM and it could take me several minutes to load when portalling. It never bothered me - it was a handy break during which I could go grab a drink. Has that really improved?

What has definitely improved is lag - used to be I could start attacking a mob and kill it, and sometimes I wouldn't see any combat animations or hp updates until 10-20 seconds after the mob was dead. And this problem is completely gone now.

katriell

Novice Member

Boredom is in the temperament of the beholder.

4/15/08 6:52:36 AM#3

I have 1GB of RAM and it usually only takes a minute or so to load when portalling. Hard to say since I disabled the loading screen (which, in effect, decreases the amount of time before you can see the world and move around). But that's about how long it takes for most of the objects finish loading. It takes a bit longer if it's the first time I've visited the place I'm portalling to during this session. Conversely, if I'm portalling between just two or three locations frequently, it takes less and less time.

How to turn off the loading screen (entered in an in-game chat window):
/setpref useloadingscreen false

-----------

In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

Hadesprime

Novice Member

4/15/08 11:17:30 AM#4

a name change ?

interesting... but they are going to have to add a HELL of a lot of content to live up to the new name. I would say more than a hell of a lot, more like light years more. There is no story line in game to support it. Perhaps that will come ?

The labrynth looks interesting. But I wonder how they are going to balance it ? There are now a lot of players in fact I would more than 50 percent that are... multiclassed juggernauts. They will be able to waltz through this place unless Vitrium balances in accordance with this fact. But if they do that the moderates even group will not be able to handle encounters in that place. So thats going to be interesting to watch.

The rest of it was pretty much talk we have seen before.

However improving performance without a client rewrite ? I would be very dubious about any claims such as this. 2 Months ago horizons was still a pig and will continue to be with the current client and underlying engines. Thats a fact they aren't going to be able to avoid. So whats there now is there forever.

shadowmage

Advanced Member

OP  4/15/08 11:29:45 AM#5

I see the story line more being the ongoing events rather then quest in the game. It's not like other games that walk to from one zone to the next with story. Which to me is a good and bad thing. When you have the people to support it and it grows the world like Horizon did and does to a much smaller extent it is a great thing. I always hated the quest driven story line that every one does and you go back and see still there.  I know it kind of sucks for newer players that missed older story line but again if it can be kept up I think it makes for a funer more realistic world.

As to the Labryenth yea should be interesting to see how they do the balancing act. But as they have said that it is a T6 that kind of points that is will be designed more for the megaped in mind then less multiclassed people. But Hopefully a lower rating group can do ok in it.

Emissary of Istaria