Trending Games | Landmark | World of Warcraft | Villagers and Heroes | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,919,991 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,310,620
Artifact Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 12/08/03)  | Pub:Virtrium
Distribution:Download | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Istaria: Chronicles of the Gifted Forum » General Discussion » Questions from a potential new player

11 posts found
  Sieges111

Novice Member

OP  1/03/08 3:43:02 PM#1

I've been playing Ryzom and Entropia Universe and have a few questions about this game:

1. How does the movement interface compare to Ryzom or World of Warcraft (i.e. two-mouse-button movement)?
  2. It looks as though there is item durability in Horizons. Does the ability to repair items exist?
  3. Are there mounts and/or vehicles available?
  4. Does your character need to eat?
  5. It looks like you can cross-class train. Can you learn all skills from all classes if you want to?

Thanks!

User Deleted
1/04/08 7:34:37 AM#2

Originally posted by Sieges

I've been playing Ryzom and Entropia Universe and have a few questions about this game:

1. How does the movement interface compare to Ryzom or World of Warcraft (i.e. two-mouse-button movement)?
  2. It looks as though there is item durability in Horizons. Does the ability to repair items exist?
  3. Are there mounts and/or vehicles available?
  4. Does your character need to eat?
  5. It looks like you can cross-class train. Can you learn all skills from all classes if you want to?

Thanks!

1. HZ uses the typical WASD movement and the default mouse-based turn is the middle mouse button. The interface is fairly configurable though so the chances are good you can set it up however you like.
  2. Sorta - there are some items that consume 'charges' and need to be recharged periodically and there are other items that are immortal.
  3. Nope, no mounts. There have been comments on the forums regarding this for a long time and some even joke about making Dragons rideable... But for the most part the portal system makes anywhere you want to go about a 3-5 minute run.
  4. Nope, there's no 'need' to eat, but there are a lot of things you can consume that have certain short-term buffs or bonuses.
  5. As a biped (non-dragon) the only thing preventing you from achieving the level cap in every possible class is time. Classes have some abilities that are level based and others that are class based. So, for instance, if I made a Saris warrior and wanted some cleric healing abiities, it's simply a matter of figuring out what level in cleric I need to reach to be able to cast that. Then when I switch back to warrior, I can still cast healing spells up to whatever my cleric level is - as long as the spell doesn't require the cleric class... I think it's an unwritten rule that all bipeds get at least 5 levels in cleric before doing whatever it is they really want to do. :)

Hope this helps!

katriell

Novice Member

Boredom is in the temperament of the beholder.

1/04/08 10:14:29 AM#3

Originally posted by SiegesI've been playing Ryzom and Entropia Universe

Hello fellow Ryzom player. :)

How does the movement interface compare to Ryzom or World of Warcraft (i.e. two-mouse-button movement)?

It's the same, you can use arrow keys or WASD, or something else, as the keybindings are quite configurable.

It looks like you can cross-class train. Can you learn all skills from all classes if you want to?

For bipeds, some abilities you gain in one class can be used in other classes, some can't be.

Dragons are a bit different because they only have one adventuring class - Dragon Adventurer (DRAG) and two crafting classes - Dragon Crafter (DCRA) and Dragon Lairshaper (DLSH).

In their adventuring class they have elements of melee, offensive casting, and defensive casting lumped together. The healing, buff, and debuff spells are pretty much universal, but whether a dragon is better at melee fighting or spell fighting depends on how they allocate their Training Points, of which they gain 12 with each adventuring level.

For example, a melee-oriented dragon might put their points into Strength, Tooth & Claw, and Dexterity. A spellcaster might put their points into Power, Primal, and Focus. My dragon character prefers to primarily cast spells in combat but also have the benefit of her melee special attacks, so she has Power, Primal, and Tooth & Claw almost equal at the cost of each being at only three-quarters of her adventuring level's maximum. Power and Strength increase damage, Primal and Tooth & Claw increase chance to hit (Primal is also what learning of new spells depends upon), and Focus and Dexterity add both a little damage and a little chance to hit. So my dragon's "build" allows her melee attacks to hit reliably but with less damage, while her spells also hit reliably but with more damage.

In DCRA their item-crafting basically consists of spells and draconic armour, and they can gather and process everything that is not organic or clay. A bit later on in DCRA, though, they can learn to craft draconic cargo disks that can follow them even in flight. At about the same time as that, they can pick up DLSH to process and craft construction components that are specific to underground lairs they can buy.

-----------

In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

green13

Advanced Member

3/02/08 1:42:18 AM#4

Originally posted by katriell

For example, a melee-oriented dragon might put their points into Strength, Tooth & Claw, and Dexterity. A spellcaster might put their points into Power, Primal, and Focus.

I dunno if they've made any very recent changes but when I started playing last year and asked I was told that dragon spellcasters aren't really viable - and I tried it myself and found that to be true. Switching from a power/primal focus to strength/tooth & claw, I went from struggling to take down mobs just a few levels higher than me to easily and swiftly tearing through mobs 10 levels higher than me.

So until they make some dragon spellcrafter equivalents of gold/silver rage, my advice to new players would be don't try playing dragons as spellcasters unless you're feeling masochistic.

katriell

Novice Member

3/03/08 1:21:08 AM#5

The Power/Primal/Tooth&Claw hybrid I mentioned works great for me: It allows me to use both spells and melee special attacks with acceptable efficiency. But I almost never use Gold Rage by choice, so a spell equivalent wouldn't change anything for me. Still, I can take down named creatures 5-10 levels higher than myself, and regular creatures up to 15-20 levels higher.

-----------

green13

Advanced Member

3/03/08 7:01:12 AM#6

I suppose it depends on what you consider "acceptable efficiency". I was quite happy chugging along with the same build you have, but had other dragons trying to convince me all the way up to level 70 to switch to tooth&claw/strength/primal. And when I finally did, it was incredibly clear why. To go from taking approx 30-60 seconds for killing something a few levels higher than me to destroying +10 level mobs in under 10 seconds certainly changed my view of "acceptable efficiency".

katriell

Novice Member

3/03/08 3:10:28 PM#7

Originally posted by green13
I suppose it depends on what you consider "acceptable efficiency".

True.

Personally, I don't consider easymode to be acceptable efficiency. xD Sometimes I even fight in Khutit form for challenge.

-----------

green13

Advanced Member

3/03/08 9:52:50 PM#8

Keeping in mind that this thread is for a new player seeking information, I'm comfortable with the original advice I gave to the effect that dragon spellcasters are gimped.

FYI for anyone new, Khutit form is a humanoid form dragons can eventually learn, basically to allow them to enter biped dwellings. The form comes with a serious stat debuff.

Was the easymode quip intended to be hostile? I had no hand in the game design, but even if I had I wouldn't characterise using gold/silver rage as easymode. My guess would be that their current efficacy is balanced both against biped multiclassers and the level cap. Dragon adventuring caps at level 100, but there are lots of mobs in the game above that level. Also, biped multiclassers can far exceed the strength of a level 100 dragon not using gold/silver rage.

Personally I think that whole aspect of the game is something they really screwed up, but that's a whole different topic...

katriell

Novice Member

3/04/08 2:20:51 AM#9

Originally posted by green13
Was the easymode quip intended to be hostile?

It wasn't, or at least, it wasn't a hostility aimed at you or even Horizons. But reading back I can see how it seemed. Sorry about that. =/

-----------

helloflorina

Novice Member

4/03/08 1:46:45 AM#10

My dragon character prefers to primarily cast spells in combat but also have the benefit of her melee special attacks, so she has Power, Primal, and Tooth & Claw almost equal at the cost of each being at only three-quarters of her adventuring level's maximum.

louisdss

Novice Member

4/10/08 11:18:10 PM#11

I think the movement interface is better than warcraft, also people have different  opinions, so you could have a try on the game.