Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | EVE Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,433 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,582
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 02/28/06)  | Pub:Atari
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

D&D Online Forum » The Rusty Nail (General) » Underdark...expansion(?)

16 posts found
  therain93

Novice Member

Joined: 11/01/06
Posts: 2047

"Racing to endgame is like racing to the end of your vacation."

 
OP  4/08/12 10:11:36 AM#1

As someone who has never played DDO (ever), but knowing that it is free to play, why would someone pay $79.99 for the collector's edition (or even 29.99 for the base package).  This isn't intended to be sarcastic or be taken in offense by those who adore the game.  Does one become a lifetime "subscriber" or something?  Just looking for a quick explanation, thanks! ( ' :

  Rokurgepta

Novice Member

Joined: 8/15/08
Posts: 2208

4/09/12 9:01:39 PM#2
Originally posted by therain93

As someone who has never played DDO (ever), but knowing that it is free to play, why would someone pay $79.99 for the collector's edition (or even 29.99 for the base package).  This isn't intended to be sarcastic or be taken in offense by those who adore the game.  Does one become a lifetime "subscriber" or something?  Just looking for a quick explanation, thanks! ( ' :

The expansion will not be free. Most of DDO is not really free. yes you could grind out the in game cash DDO uses to unlock things and years from now actually have it all or you can pay. Free to play is not what it sounds like unless you are prepared to do the sinlge worst grind in game history.

  niceguy3978

Elite Member

Joined: 6/14/06
Posts: 1982

4/09/12 9:04:21 PM#3
Originally posted by therain93

As someone who has never played DDO (ever), but knowing that it is free to play, why would someone pay $79.99 for the collector's edition (or even 29.99 for the base package).  This isn't intended to be sarcastic or be taken in offense by those who adore the game.  Does one become a lifetime "subscriber" or something?  Just looking for a quick explanation, thanks! ( ' :

You have to buy quests/zones outside of those that are free as part of the f2p.  Buying the expansion is basically a form of b2p for those included zones.

 

  Ambros123

Novice Member

Joined: 12/04/11
Posts: 891

4/09/12 9:18:35 PM#4

There is a lot of value to it.  2k Turbine points, greater learning tome for one character per server n a lesser for every character, cosmetic pets amoung other things,  It's not yur typical CE where you get a thing here n there but quite a package.  The Turbine points will be used as the whole F2P is incredibely misleading.

Question is more of will DDO just be rehashing the same crap they've been doing since who knows for how long.

  Redline65

Novice Member

Joined: 8/08/06
Posts: 488

4/10/12 3:04:20 PM#5

$80 for a digital download expansion is pretty absurd. I know it comes with some Turbine points and XP boosts, but c'mon it's just digital stuff. And it's an expansion to boot. That's like the price of a physical CE for a full retail game.

  David_Lopan

Novice Member

Joined: 9/07/10
Posts: 815

"There is no progress. Everything is the same as it was. Form changes. The essence does not." RLS

4/10/12 3:47:58 PM#6
It’s a pretty steep price for an X-pac. I personally love DDO and have been playing it since launch (not the best launch but I stuck it out). I will eventually get this x-pac, but I have no problem waiting for the price to drop considerably.
  Rokurgepta

Novice Member

Joined: 8/15/08
Posts: 2208

4/10/12 5:14:55 PM#7
Originally posted by Aquazen
It’s a pretty steep price for an X-pac. I personally love DDO and have been playing it since launch (not the best launch but I stuck it out). I will eventually get this x-pac, but I have no problem waiting for the price to drop considerably.

For the same 80 bucks I think I will pre order Guild Wars 2 and get an entire game.

  imot

Novice Member

Joined: 12/07/09
Posts: 1

4/15/12 7:49:47 PM#8

if u have never played the game, its is kinda steep.

but also gives you some turbine points( to buy more content , can be enough for another 2-4-ish packs ), some decenet xp bonuses, veteran status lvl one and two ( meaning you can start at lvl 7 not lvl 1) and about 8 adventure packs.

which would be somewhere around 32- 40 dungeons and one or two adventure areas  ( open areas seperate form dungeons that also give xp and loot.)

it could be a really nice boost to start.

 

ohyea!

  therain93

Novice Member

Joined: 11/01/06
Posts: 2047

"Racing to endgame is like racing to the end of your vacation."

 
OP  4/16/12 11:22:00 AM#9

Good to know, thank you all ( ' :

  Golelorn

Advanced Member

Joined: 4/23/03
Posts: 1057

5/23/12 4:12:06 PM#10

I very much doubt its worth it.

Turbine, for some reason, has totally gone in the opposite direction of what made this game fun when it first went f2p. Which was lots of rewards, small group/soloability, and PUG raids. Now, there are lots of rewards, but its all crap even though the content is harder. And small groups/soloing as a melee is pretty damn hard when the mobs hit like trucks, and have the HP of an entire planet. I have zero faith this expansion reverses that trend. I'm gonna pass on the crap rewards that won't be an upgrade, and the mobs that have had their power increased ten fold while mine stays the same or goes up marginally(actually as a melee we are much weaker since they've been on a nerf rampage).

  cagan

Apprentice Member

Joined: 6/16/04
Posts: 274

5/25/12 4:28:32 PM#11

I agree, they are trying to make the class combos they sell more powered.

For example the new artifcer is the best classd to solo (you gotta buy artificer), and the best race to play is Warforged.

If you dont have artificer then u gotta try Warforged sorceror...

When the enemy can hit you for 200-300 in melee, and has 1 million hit points the best path to play is ranged caster.

Melee is being nerfed since the beginning while they promote new classes...

I am still playing once in a while but really bored of the same grind

  Rumbaar

Novice Member

Joined: 3/30/06
Posts: 39

Victim's aren't we all!

5/26/12 6:08:08 PM#12

I'd hold off until the expansion has dropped, the future changes will make the game totally different to the current game you can playing.

  erkinbaba

Novice Member

Joined: 8/19/06
Posts: 83

6/25/12 7:11:57 PM#13
Originally posted by Golelorn

........

And small groups/soloing as a melee is pretty damn hard when the mobs hit like trucks, and have the HP of an entire planet.

........

You made my day dude, ROFL.

  rznkain

Novice Member

Joined: 2/05/04
Posts: 563

6/25/12 7:15:36 PM#14
Originally posted by Golelorn

I very much doubt its worth it.

Turbine, for some reason, has totally gone in the opposite direction of what made this game fun when it first went f2p. Which was lots of rewards, small group/soloability, and PUG raids. Now, there are lots of rewards, but its all crap even though the content is harder. And small groups/soloing as a melee is pretty damn hard when the mobs hit like trucks, and have the HP of an entire planet. I have zero faith this expansion reverses that trend. I'm gonna pass on the crap rewards that won't be an upgrade, and the mobs that have had their power increased ten fold while mine stays the same or goes up marginally(actually as a melee we are much weaker since they've been on a nerf rampage).

 

 

      Just remember WB purchased Turbine I am sure there is plenty they are pushed./forced to do that they had rather not do.

  Rein

Apprentice Member

Joined: 5/17/04
Posts: 45

6/27/12 4:39:21 PM#15
Originally posted by erkinbaba
Originally posted by Golelorn

........

And small groups/soloing as a melee is pretty damn hard when the mobs hit like trucks, and have the HP of an entire planet.

........

You made my day dude, ROFL.

Did you find the sentence funny or did you laugh at how misinformed he is?

  Asm0deus

Hard Core Member

Joined: 9/06/10
Posts: 790

7/01/12 5:13:16 PM#16

First the CE is or soon will no longer be available for purchase, it was a limited time thing. My wife and i have played this since 2009 and we think it was worth it, we have been having great fun. We bought the standard package.

 

Those that say the game is hard clearly haven't a clue, the game has gotten easier probably too much so right now. Epic quests that needed a solid group of geared people can now be soloed easily by myself on Epic norm, these same quest use to kick my backside hard .

 

Last note they did the Underdark section quite well and this from someone that's not a fan of turdine, by and by this is my favorite game!

case: Coolermaster HAF932
PSU: Antec EA 750watt
RAM: 2x2g G-SKILL DDR3-1600mhz 9-9-9-24
Mb:Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P
CPU: i5-750 @4ghz
GPU: gtx msi N760 TF 2GD5/OC
cooling: Noctua NH-D14
storage: seagate 600 240GB SSD, 500GB x7200rpm HDD