Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | The Crew | World of Warcraft

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,993 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,191,421
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 02/28/06)  | Pub:Atari
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

D&D Online Forum » Pen & Paper Discussion » Who likes what version of D&D better?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
44 posts found
  VirgoThree

Tipster

FFXIV:ARR, Malboro Server, Scarlet Raven

3/20/09 2:23:26 PM#41

Well it's been awhile since I last commented on 3.5 being my preferred edition. I just wanted to say that has changed after DMing for 4th ed for almost a year now. 4th edition started off kind of slow with lack of customization and over simplification of certain things, but it has truly grown into a beautiful system as more supplements come out and show its true strength.

The customization for players and DM is starting to go through the roof now with the new supplements with out the power creep of 3rd and with out the insane number crunching. One major thing I had to get past was the 3rd ed simulationist approach. 4th ed uses many abstract rules and just lets the DM have total creative freedom. No longer do I need to explain where every little benefit for the monster is coming from.

Another thing that works wonderfully is the XP/ Encounter for DM's to determine the difficulty of a fight. In comparison the CR system was so horribly broke in 3rd, because sometimes it would work or other times it would just go horribly horribly wrong.

Lastly combat is much more cinematic, visceral, and exciting. Very rarely does some one feel useless or gimped, and a challanging fight can knock out several people throughout the course of battle. The -HP system makes more sense than 3rd, and the death saving throws is a great addition.

There is a lot more I would like to say but I do not want to right a full blown review of the system. I do have some gripes with the system too but they are so minimal now.

User Deleted
9/27/09 4:22:24 PM#42
Originally posted by Tolwynn

I have been enjoying AD&D and other pnp games for over 20 years. (yes Top secret too)...been playing semi-steadily with a gaming group for about 12 years now, on and off....some are local friends others are leftovers from the Rpga tourneys I would run several years back.

We have a great group and use first,second and some third edition rule-sets, mixed into our 'world(s)" - together...persay.

They all work fine together wonderfully, if played and controlled correctly. Several of our gamers(online or offline) are or have been GM's/DM's so they all understand balancing for the effort of longevity in gameplay.

Mostly we stick with 2nd edition rule sets. It  works so great, it made it very easy to blend in the "Alternate Realities" gamesystem and also the famous GammaWorld systems...we give limited use of such tech's/abilities to the Spelljamming Vodoni empire. Which opens up many many dimensions of play to be crossed with psionics.

we also use Battlesystem from (first edition years) Rules Cyclopedia and have ALWAYS included the Mystic and Monk classes in the fray since day 1.

We are Forgotten Realms/Realmspace junkies and huge buffs on the lands of Toril. So we play by-the-book when it comes to demographics. Volo's guides are almost used as travelling bibles, so the common lore and lay of the land is exact to the written word in most novels/modules/short stories/players books/etc......

All the systems work great together with using 2nd edition as a main base of rules.

12+ years, 380+ characters,20+ Crystal Spheres and Many many systems boxed sets later (spanning many players over those years) we have yet to run into a problem or any to 'stump' the game. WITH the EXCEPTION of ATHAS of DARK SUN....well you know the rules, one way in - no way out. No stream/flow(phlogiston) :)

We have even played through Elminsters Closet( the left one, not the one that goes to a hovel on a Tear of Selune)...so we have even brought the 2nd edition ruleset into an 1800's steam powered world. worked great!

thats the beauty of AD&D..it works!...and it 'can' never end and provide years and years of play. Well, if you keep 'all' the encounters logged and every NPC up to date, Merchant lists consistant, NPC's in the local population consistant....it can go on for-e-v-e-r. 

/scratches head...."but it is cheaper than 15 bucks a month!?...it can be, if everyone chips in!"......another beauty of AD&D...it doesnt have to cost alot.(unless you want it to, like us, with room sized set-ups and scale models of spelljammer ships,1,000's of painted mini's,maps, created supplements and player handouts and have every single AD&D game book at your disposal,etc....mheh.....

AD&D=  can be a very small investment for loads of fun.

All the editions have something fun to add or 'use' as stand alone. we just choose to use it ALL.

after all these years.....it still rocks.

I also liked AD&D the most.

Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was my favorite mod ever. I LOVED that mod, lol  Honorable mention to Tomb of Horrors as well... one tough trap filled mod.

Gamma World rocked. That was one cool game as well!

chopper72

Novice Member

7/26/12 3:10:02 AM#43
My favorite is second edition with Skills and Powers, and Combat and Tactics. It is a bit challenging for the DM if you run with the optional rules, but that’s usually me, and I love it. I made special 5 page character sheets with all the optional rules like bulk points, ect. One page is all the combat stats at a glance and a time tracker. I also love Spell Jammer, Planescape, Council of Wyrms, and all the worlds covered in second edition. 3.0 and 3.5 feels both too restrictive and generic after getting used to the Players Option and Game Masters Option sets. It is simple though, I’ll concede that point on the new version.
  ignore_me

Apprentice Member

7/26/12 4:46:00 AM#44

3.5 was the apogee of the ruleset.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search