Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,488 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,717
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 02/28/06)  | Pub:Atari
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

D&D Online Forum » Game Suggestions » DDO: the good and bad

11 posts found
  Warvet

Apprentice Member

OP  1/05/11 11:01:53 PM#1

DDO, or Dungeons & Dragons Online, is probably THE single best MMORPG out there right now. It's not perfect, but, what is? So, here is my review of DDO with the good, the bad, and what DDO needs to change in order to continue.

The Good:

1) Graphics

Face it, the graphics are stunning, no doubt.

2) Quests

As more and more quests become available, you aren't locked into repeating the same quests over and over when you generate a new character.

3) The two-class system

It has to be one of the best implementations of a two-class system in any MMORPG I've seen or played to date.

The Bad:

1) Graphics

In order to get those graphics you need to run a respectable, if not high-end, machine. If you are running a marginal machine, you not only have to lower the quality of graphics, you get lag so bad you are hindered in combat.

2) Level Cap

This is the purest problem of DDO. With a level cap of 20, you are forced to either make a new character or "resurrect" your character as a level 1.  There just isn't meaningful content at level 20 to justify another decision. This brings the problem that you are then forced to do all those quests you did before all over again with an experience penalty if you resurrected your character.

But, since DDO already did a level cap raise from level 10 (which was ludicrous to begin with) to level 20 (which didn't go high enough) they already paved the way for player animosity because they already nerfed classes once in order to raise the level cap. In order to raise the cap again, they would have to nerf the classes once again. So, what should DDO do?

Game Suggestion:

There is no doubt that the level cap needs to be raised, but, this time, it needs to be raised to a level that explores the longterm. In addition, the classes shouldn't be nerfed, but, expanded with new abilities/spells. The fact of the matter is that while there is new content, new races, new classes, you simply cannot play to level 20 but so many times before you are bored with the game.

1) Raise the level cap to 50

This gives players a full 30 more levels of character advancement.

2) Increase every classes skills, spells, etc

Simply nerfing classes so that existing skills/spells fit into a level 50 system isn't the answer. DDO would simply lose 50-75% of their current players. You need to give players something new to shoot for, new skills and spells to use.

3) Add a pvp component that isn't relegated to tournament/arena

While I am not a fan of pvp, many others are. In my personal opinion, DDO was right to keep pvp mainly out of the game. But, there are ways to implement a pvp system that gives players the choice of whether they wish to participate or not. All that needs to happen, and other games have used this system, is the character is given the choice of whether to be pvp or not. This would give those who wish for more pvp their wish without imposing it on those who don't.

4) Expand the difficulty levels

Epic difficulty for level 20 is either too easy or too hard depending on the quest. In addition, not all dungeons have the option for an epic difficulty. This needs to be revamped so that it is challenging without being a cake-walk (mass hold in some dungeons) or almost impossible for most players. Epic level difficulty could be used for level 20-30, then other difficulty levels for level 30-40 and 40-50.

5) Add new content for higher levels

With the expansion of character level, you just need new areas specifically designed for those levels. This is relatively easy since new areas are opened up with periodic updates anyway.

In conclusion, DDO is probably the single best MMORPG out there to date, but, with the current level cap, you become bored with the game way too fast for the money you'll likely spend on it.

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

1/06/11 7:04:58 PM#2
Originally posted by Warvet

DDO, or Dungeons & Dragons Online, is probably THE single best MMORPG out there right now. It's not perfect, but, what is? So, here is my review of DDO with the good, the bad, and what DDO needs to change in order to continue.

The Good:

1) Graphics

2) Quests

As more and more quests become available, you aren't locked into repeating the same quests over and over when you generate a new character.

3) The two-class system

It has to be one of the best implementations of a two-class system in any MMORPG I've seen or played to date.

The Bad:

1) Graphics

In order to get those graphics you need to run a respectable, if not high-end, machine. If you are running a marginal machine, you not only have to lower the quality of graphics, you get lag so bad you are hindered in combat.

2) Level Cap

This is the purest problem of DDO. With a level cap of 20, you are forced to either make a new character or "resurrect" your character as a level 1.  There just isn't meaningful content at level 20 to justify another decision. This brings the problem that you are then forced to do all those quests you did before all over again with an experience penalty if you resurrected your character.

But, since DDO already did a level cap raise from level 10 (which was ludicrous to begin with) to level 20 (which didn't go high enough) they already paved the way for player animosity because they already nerfed classes once in order to raise the level cap. In order to raise the cap again, they would have to nerf the classes once again. So, what should DDO do?

Game Suggestion:

There is no doubt that the level cap needs to be raised, but, this time, it needs to be raised to a level that explores the longterm. In addition, the classes shouldn't be nerfed, but, expanded with new abilities/spells. The fact of the matter is that while there is new content, new races, new classes, you simply cannot play to level 20 but so many times before you are bored with the game.

Simply nerfing classes so that existing skills/spells fit into a level 50 system isn't the answer. DDO would simply lose 50-75% of their current players. You need to give players something new to shoot for, new skills and spells to use.

While I am not a fan of pvp, many others are. In my personal opinion, DDO was right to keep pvp mainly out of the game. But, there are ways to implement a pvp system that gives players the choice of whether they wish to participate or not. All that needs to happen, and other games have used this system, is the character is given the choice of whether to be pvp or not. This would give those who wish for more pvp their wish without imposing it on those who don't.

Epic difficulty for level 20 is either too easy or too hard depending on the quest. In addition, not all dungeons have the option for an epic difficulty. This needs to be revamped so that it is challenging without being a cake-walk (mass hold in some dungeons) or almost impossible for most players. Epic level difficulty could be used for level 20-30, then other difficulty levels for level 30-40 and 40-50.

With the expansion of character level, you just need new areas specifically designed for those levels. This is relatively easy since new areas are opened up with periodic updates anyway.

In conclusion, DDO is probably the single best MMORPG out there to date, but, with the current level cap, you become bored with the game way too fast for the money you'll likely spend on it.

The good:

1. The graphics are ok. I rarely found much of the game stunning since I first saw the dragon years ago. That was stunning.

2. Quests, too many over the years have been reduced to unplayed status due to mistakes in creation, either lack of loot or lack of EXP. When most players avoid a quest getting a group is near impossible for those quests.

Raising the level cap again is not very likely, they took forever to get where they are and the D&D system is not real good at going to your suggested number of 50.

The Bad:

1. Turbine can barely get enough skills and spells to round out 20 levels of play, going to 50 would take them roughly 12 more years.

2. Yeah of course new stuff is needed, but getting to level 50 has next to zero chance of ever happening.

3. Problem with adding a good PvP system is it takes time and should be done from the start. At this point PvP does not fit DDO and while people make noise over it, it is the rare game that has both good PVE and PvP. PvP in DDO setting would very likely be more costly then rewarding in the long run.

4. DDO has scaled back the difficulty in DDO for the last couple of years, why? Because people thought it was too hard to play. DDO will not likely get harder because people quit over that.

5. DDO has needed high level content for over a year, and as soon as the cash cow casual crowd of new players needs that content Turbine will get on it, but right now its pretty clear by their development cycle that the majority of money is not in the high level game.

Overall DDO is half of an MMO. They got the combat and dungeon parts right but the game is missing so much more.

Dredphyre

Novice Member

fanboi of truth

1/06/11 7:15:12 PM#3

Raising the level cap past 50 is far more complicated than you make it seem. The PnP D&D really maxes out at 20, with all of the iconic monsters and skills fitting into that level range. Yes D&D has Epic levels, but that is little more than artificial scaling of content to pace with character advancement past 20.

For DDO to move past 20th level, they'd have to invent a whole slew of new monsters, few of which I imagine would feel D&Dish to the PnP crowd. As the poster above says, they'd have to come up with new skills, feats, and powers -- again something that's daunting if not impractical for a D&D setting.

I would much rather Turbine focus on more stellar dungeons, and once and for all introducing a truly open world to explore south of Stormreach (and not these instanced outdoor settings).

mesmerise

Novice Member

1/06/11 7:17:44 PM#4
Originally posted by Warvet

The Good:

1) Graphics

2) Quests

3) The two-class system

The Bad:

1) Graphics

2) Level Cap

Game Suggestion:

The level cap at 20 should be increased but realistically 30 should be the limit if they want to bear any resemblance to the 3E rules of DnD, anything past 30 and you are effectively a demi-god, what then?.  I remember that I first played the game when it came out and the level cap at 10 was really not too bad as it still took some to reach the cap.  I did not find the graphics all that spectacular either, they were okay but not the best in the genre. 

I am glad that you are enjoying it and I did when it first came out and my friends and I were all playing together but eventually there was just not enough to do.  I also do not like the Eberron campaign at all and the idea of having everything instanced in a DnD game really killed the level of immersion for me, especially along with the instant transport from Stormreach to dungeons!

M

43%burnt

Novice Member

1/26/12 7:18:46 PM#5

The good:

It's dnd...halfway...ish.

Decent graphics, nothing special, but not bad either, you can crank up everything to max without any problem on a middle class rig. Bonus : No anime/NCsoft style crap.

Lots of customisation, be it the characters or the game itself.

They don't rub the cashshop in your face that hard, unlike similar games.

The bad:

Quests after about lvl 4 get really random in difficulty, ruining a lot of potential. Even worse with the rewards.

Crafting is overly complicated and involves a lot of running. And you can't sell unneeded materials to vendors.

Grouping feels clumsy. You have to be on the specific quest to enter an instance, especially anoying when groupmembers are on different stages of a quest.

The currency is just silly. Items go for hundreds of thousands of plat, you'll have over 2k of the "biggest" coins at ~lvl 3.

tazarconan

Advanced Member

1/26/12 8:40:54 PM#6

What kept out the masses from Ddo was that its fully instanced only dungeons to exlore around or some quest related outdoors areas that are instanced too. It should be a fully free to explore huge world like most of the other Mmorpgs .Lack of Pvp was also the main reason that it remained in shallow waters. It matters not if pvp dont stack in pen paper table games this is supposed to be mmorpg and that is it. Besides all those invented perks arent part of d&d 3.5 anwy.

User Deleted
1/26/12 10:32:35 PM#7

Thread so old the bones are petrified...

The bad: repetition, repetition, repetition.

new level cap of 25, new campaign setting...will it make the game relevant? probably not.

MMOGamer71

Advanced Member

1/26/12 10:36:22 PM#8

The bad:

Eberon campaign setting

The good:

Solid game

Upcoming FR setting FTW.

Grumpum

Apprentice Member

11/02/13 12:24:32 AM#9

The Good:

Player controlled character development: Base stats, skills and enhancements make the possibilities of customization HUGE

Multiclassing: You can have up to 3 classes

3 tiered system. You CAN remain free to play. You can buy ala carte. you can subscribe.

complex puzzles

Extensive wiki for those who cant solve the puzzles

Helpful player base

The bad:

Incompetent programming: With each new update, the programmers create more bugs and the unresolved bug list is HUGE.

Incompetent planning: The new items introduced into the game have made older content that was popular, obsolete thereby eliminating more quests than they create.

Lack of being able to enforce the rules laid down in the EULA and the TOS. Exploiters are rarely dealt with and often times rewarded for exploiting the game.

Dwindling player base.

Summary: DDO could be an awesome game if they started planning the financial end with some foresight. They need to get out of the way of their own wallet if they wish to remain successful. The complexity of the game makes it an extreme challenge to learn but the bugginess of the game makes it equally frustrating. I have never spent money on any other game. Im a cheapskate who never intended on spending anything on it iin the first place but found that I actually felt it was worth it (at one time). I've played Lord of the rings online(Turbine's other major game) and found it to be a different version of the same old World of Warcraft model where every character is the same cookie cutter piece of trash as the next. The same for Rift, Runes of magic, Everquest and more. DDO could be the game that everyone flocks to if they ever get good programmers and a team specifically set to take care of their bugs. They do have a server they call their beta testing server but rarely, if ever, listen to the players about bugs and exploits which often end up going into the live game. And while this sounds like a trashing of the game, remember, it's the only one I have ever spent money on.

aspekx

Novice Member

11/02/13 12:30:02 AM#10

LotRO is what DDO should have been.

an open world (Faerun, please!) with deeply lore based dungeons and quests along with plenty of side activities. you can only run a dungeon for xp so many times on so many characters before it becomes atrociously boring. so crafting, arena based pvp competition, easy exploration of a nonzoned world, etc...

"There are at least two kinds of games.
One could be called finite, the other infinite.
A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

Grumpum

Apprentice Member

11/02/13 1:08:15 PM#11

LotRO has no player controlled character development. It's just another version of WoW.

However, if you were to combine the two and add in the PCCD, LotRO would be what DDO should have been. Remove the bugs, exploits and lack of programming vision from the current state of DDO and you have the #1 game. Without PCCD, you have the same game as every other MMORPG. Fetch me this, craft that, xp and gear grind that makes most MMORPGs boring as hell. I dont spend money on that type of game. Never have and never will.

I have been playing DnD since 1977 and the whole point of character creation is to build it your way. Otherwise, you have the same toon everyone else has.