Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,007 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,112
Turbine, Inc. | Play Now
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 02/28/06)  | Pub:Atari
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:Free
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

D&D Online Forum » The Rusty Nail (General) » Can you multi class? Like Ranger/Cleric or Fighter/Rogue?

18 posts found
  meleemadness

Novice Member

OP  6/09/09 7:06:35 AM#1

Title pretty much sums it up.....just wondering if you can have multi classes, dual or triple like the old rule set from the 80s?

WolfClaws

Hard Core Member

6/09/09 7:08:23 AM#2

Yes you can.

Sarr

Novice Member

I'm positive about what I play. If it ends & I get negative, I move on. This is how we not troll.

6/09/09 7:09:40 AM#3
Originally posted by meleemadness

Title pretty much sums it up.....just wondering if you can have multi classes, dual or triple like the old rule set from the 80s?

Sure you can. I never had more than 2 classes, but I think the limit is 3 classes at the moment . So there's about... 100x times more customization than in WoW? Certainly feels like that.

Polish D&D Online Portal http://www.ddopl.com
Big Polish DDO Guild: http://my.ddo.com/guild-cannith-gildia_ddopl/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/DDOpl
Great DDO PodCast by Jerry & co. http://www.ddocast.com

codejack

Hard Core Member

6/10/09 2:23:22 PM#4

You can have up to 3 different classes on a character, but some are alignment restricted, so no barbarian/monks, paladin/bards, etc.

You really need to either spend a week on the forums or a month with a character building program to figure out what abilities different classes get at what level to build a good hybrid character.

If you don't, you will wind up deleting them.

Actually, you will wind up deleting them, anyway, but that's just how they made the game, unfortunately.

gestalt11

Hard Core Member

6/10/09 5:39:43 PM#5

The multi classing follow D&D 3.0 rules which are considerably different than the 1st or 2nd edition rules.  And IMO much better.

The only major difference between 3.0 and DDO is that there is no favored classes or xp penalties if your classes go out of sync.  You would need to be familiar with 3.0 multi-classing to even know what a racial favored class is, but basically a favored class means you get no penalty for taking levels in that class.

An elf that takes a level of wizard never incurs penalties from the level since wizard is the favored class of elves.  But a Fighter/Rogue Elf would need to keep the levels of the two class close to each other (within a level) or they recieve a 10% penalty to all xp earned.  This is somehwat important as one of the advantages of humans and half elves is that their favored class is whatever class is the highest level and is part of their balancing and makes them mroe versatile than other races.

Since DDO has no multi-class penalties races get balanced through other ways, mainly enhancements.

LordChance

Novice Member

10/11/09 3:25:12 PM#6

Ok, so then the question becomes...

How does one go about multi-classing?  Is there a specific trainer, or quest...? How would a fighter get a level or three as a rogue? 

I have looked through forums, and wiki's, and a few other places, and I have not yet seen anyone describe how one actually goes about multi-classing. LOL  So, how would we go about it?

Thanks!

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

10/11/09 4:23:57 PM#7
Originally posted by LordChance

Ok, so then the question becomes...

How does one go about multi-classing?  Is there a specific trainer, or quest...? How would a fighter get a level or three as a rogue? 

I have looked through forums, and wiki's, and a few other places, and I have not yet seen anyone describe how one actually goes about multi-classing. LOL  So, how would we go about it?

Thanks!

Go see the trainer of the class you want to train with.

LordChance

Novice Member

10/11/09 5:21:30 PM#8

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Larry2298

Apprentice Member

10/11/09 5:38:07 PM#9

Each account could have as many as slots up to 16 characters. I would questioned myself to create a multiple class with penalty. But if you are F2P then you may care more about multiple class because F2P only have 4 slots.

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

10/11/09 6:13:31 PM#10
Originally posted by Larry2298

Each account could have as many as slots up to 16 characters. I would questioned myself to create a multiple class with penalty. But if you are F2P then you may care more about multiple class because F2P only have 4 slots.

WHat penalty? F2P want to multiclass more than VIP? Do you just spout out anything hoping people listen?

LordChance

Novice Member

10/11/09 6:47:00 PM#11

Honestly, I am F2P, which is cool. Was thinking of making a second warrior, and dual classing him with rogue, more for a goof than anything else. Just to check it all out. 

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

10/11/09 7:25:16 PM#12

Honestly, I am F2P, which is cool. Was thinking of making a second warrior, and dual classing him with rogue, more for a goof than anything else. Just to check it all out. 

That gives you some sneak attack damage and lets you open chests if you put points into open lock. You could disarm traps but that takes more skill and more points than just opening locks will.

LordChance

Novice Member

10/11/09 8:36:59 PM#13

Honestly, the ability to open locks and chests is one of the things I am looking forward to LOL 

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

10/11/09 9:03:31 PM#14

Honestly, the ability to open locks and chests is one of the things I am looking forward to LOL 

There are a few good chests that require a rogue to open. It is always good to have one around. The ability to do traps is great, but it takes a bigger commitment in build and equipment to do so.

BesCirga

Novice Member

10/12/09 9:35:57 AM#15

@ LordChance

If you decide to do a fighter/rogue, start as a lvl 1 rogue. You will get ALOT more skill points to allocate into your character.

Dibdabs

Hard Core Member

10/12/09 2:06:44 PM#16

Just a reminder - there are 20 levels max, in this game.  Dual-class means splitting these 20 levels between each class, so you will never reach lvl 20 in either.

Rokurgepta

Novice Member

10/12/09 5:04:31 PM#17
Originally posted by Dibdabs

Just a reminder - there are 20 levels max, in this game.  Dual-class means splitting these 20 levels between each class, so you will never reach lvl 20 in either.

Capstones IMO are just not worth waiting for. The abilities you get for a capstone would in most cases be a good addition to a character at level 12 not 20. In most cases for me multiclassing benefits outweigh the loss of capstones.

Bill_Pardy

Novice Member

Hi

10/12/09 6:05:37 PM#18

A few things to keep in mind with fighter/rogue:

if you plan to be a trap disabler

• Take Rogue at level 1 for all the bonus skill points
  • Go with at least 14 INT and take rogue every 3-4 levels at least to keep the important rogue skills maxed (spot/search/disable)
  •  Humans get 1 extra skill point per level and will let you get away with a lower INT
  • Elves get a +2 bonus to search and spot as well as a racial enhancement line for them
  • Dwarves get +2 to search
  • Drow start with a free +2 to INT as well as the search/spot bonuses of a normal elf.

You can have a lot of fun with multi-classing, Ron's character planner ( http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/DDOCharGen.html ) is a big help in seeing what sort of Frankenstein Monsters you can create :D