Trending Games | World of Warcraft | EverQuest | Guild Wars 2 | Landmark

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,796 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,296,513
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » World of Warcrafts trouble in the long run?

19 posts found
  pingo

Advanced Member

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was making everyone belive he never existed"

OP  8/16/04 3:11:55 PM#1

Im looking extremely farward to WoW, but maybe it is my nature after SWG(Which looked so so so good) to be skeptical!

Allot of negative wipe around the Blizzard boards are going strong! People are posting about WoW will not make it in the long run, cause it is a casual gamer game and people will grow tired of it, after they reach 60 + hero class!

A poster said this: "Let's put it this way. If a game takes too long to develop, the technology and ideas behind it will become ancient by the time it's ready. This is where other comapanies usually chose to upgrade their engine and such. Blizzard didn't. The technlogoy supporting WoW is ancient. This is a turn off for many players. The game would have probably been good four years ago. Now it's just ancient history, and surpassed by other MMORPG's, such as EverQuest2. "

It really scares me. I truly belive that WoW has a great visual style but I can see that Blizzards priority of grapichs might be bad in the long run. A complete engine overhoul has never been done in a MMO has it? Even if it was a possiblitiy, then maybe it would not be needed. Over 5 years going and CS is still the most played online game around, with over 100.000 people going rougly at any time! Second is mostly Call of Duty with an avarage of 10.000 people! Just think about it! CS is running on a modified Quake 2 engine... Its like nostologi, and its a mod!

But I just dont know.

Competetion looks so hard now adays! Dark and Light, Middle-Earth Online, Everquest 2 and Matrix Online to name a few! I mean, do you think that WoW will be able to stand in the long run!

If it wont reach this year and EQ2 gets the launch headstart, how long will the wait be?

But maybe it is more concerning about how WoW will appeal to the hardcore gamer. Will truly make more than one character? Will they accept it for being Diablo-ish where you gain levels fast?

I have never played EQ but I have heard some grim stories about it taking years to get to the top of the xp cap!

Do you think that PvP will truly work and beat DAOC and UO as the PvP choice?

And im only speaking for myself right here - But I have some serious fears about the community. This link: http://www.battle.net/forums/wow/board.aspx?ForumName=wow-general

So much hate in one place! So much flaming, and trolling and calling each other names. Look in the JuniorX thread! First post trolled his post! I dont know JuniorX but I have been extremely greatful for all his great videos! Been allot of entertaining hours watching them!

Im speaking about many different aspects right now, so to narrov all the questions down to the simple line: Do you think that Blizzard should fear other MMOs than first currently thought! Has your viewed about how popular WoW will be among the grapichs whore, who would take EQ2, Doom 3 and Far Cry over anything else!? Will the low system reqs be enouge to pull many people?

In SWG the many new mmo beginners had a large impact on the overall community. I remember the first day... Running around on tatooine looking around and exploring when a wookie named "Qhewbacca" comes over to me and says the following in letters piece by peice for the swearing filter not to pick it up F U C K U n00b - I was in beta 2 u loserz lolz!!!!!11! He had that command as a macro so he could spam it! It was already there I thought there was something wrong and im wondering about all the new MMO guys and girls that will come to WoW!

Some posts on the community site has even been flameable! Allot of people are talking allot about carebears and griefers! Everyone either hates or love the DIE folks! Even some of the devs like Eno, has responded to threads where he calls people for "Trolls"! Even developers?

Darn... Now im making allot of more questions... Sorry about that! In short: Do you think that WoW has anything to fear? Do you fear anything with WoW? What your gonna play if WoW does not reach expectations?

-Pingo, concerned fan!

Lugnard

Novice Member

What do I look like?

An Orc?

8/16/04 3:19:27 PM#2

Blizzard has nothing to fear in terms of competition. No matter how successful a competitor game will be, WoW will more than likely be more successful than it (just look at Blizzard's track record so far).

Also, some Beta testers might be complaining at the moment due to the fact that End-game content still isn't even in the game yet. Almost every Beta tester has loved the trip so far in the game, why wouldn't the end game content be any different?

pingo

Advanced Member

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was making everyone belive he never existed"

OP  8/16/04 3:33:59 PM#3

I guss that makes sense.

But people seem to have so hugh expectations for the 6 other talents, hunter and hero classes. Aint it like designing lots of new classes?

And PvP!

To be honorst with you, I didnt liked Diablo. I just couldnt get into it. And I fear that I will have some strange beef with WoW if it will be too similar to Diablo 2.

But it also makes me sad to think about the long delay their will probably be before WoW euro release:( such a long... such a long wait!

Malkavian

Novice Member

Don''t mess with a Malkavian, you''re likely to get your head bitten off...

8/16/04 4:20:53 PM#4

I can guarentee you, it will be not come even close to the Diablo Series. Even in Beta it can't be compared with D. Once all the talents for each class have been tested people can start making sound judgements on the PvP systems and the rewards behind it. Blizzard has done an outstanding job so far with WoW and only half of it has been tested to date. I just looked forward to the other half as do all the other testers out there and ofcourse the final release for everyone else.

Chin up, it's going to be a great game.

- Malkavian

"When you find youself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
Forum Stalker
Malkavian@mmorpg.com

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

Vakktn

Novice Member

"A ninja must be able to read underneath the underneath."

8/16/04 4:25:49 PM#5

To be honest the wait is well worth it.... I wouldnt wanna play a half assed uncompleted game like EQ2 will be if they release in 2004. They are only in friends and family beta atm and they expect the game to be finished this year? I guess they can do it cuz they are scraping PvP at release but still kinda too early to release it. WoW is a fun game High end content hasnt been implemented yet and not all of it will be in beta cuz they wanna keep some of it a suprise for retail. I have faith in blizzard to make a great game for release. I mean hell its only in closed beta and its the most polished and complete MMO to date in terms of content. And that says alot!

Dont listen to beta testers when they say that this game wont last or what ever... for one thing they arent even at the REAL lvl cap of 60 yet... PvP arenas and battlegrounds arent in... neither are Raid Instances and higher lvl dungeons/quests. And of course Heros arent in yet either which will favor power gamers cuz its supposed to be a long and hard journey to max out your hero. So just have faith in the game and trust YOUR instincts.

pingo

Advanced Member

OP  8/16/04 4:34:53 PM#6

Seems like good responses.:)

Do you think that WoWs PvP system will be great?

Do you think that duels in the duel arenas will be garanted to be somehow balanced.. (To a reasonble level)? You know... I dont think that totel balance is possible, but maybe somehow balanced?

It seems that PvP will mean allot to many people and people have a different opinion about how they want it?

Malkavian

Novice Member

8/16/04 4:42:25 PM#7

I see a lot of similarities when it comes to some of Blizzards pvp ideas when i look at DAOC.

Right now you can duel anywhere any level. Duels are concented ofcourse and restricted to "same side races". There's nothing like racing to the top of a hill overlooking a valley to your left, the waterfall's edge to your right you and the sun on your back as you prepare to duel your buddy in combat!

Opinions in the beta so far are pleasing. Ofcourse mages are somewhat overpowered but are being addressed and people are anxious for the remaining talents to be tested and the release of the hunter class.

- Malkavian

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
Forum Stalker
Malkavian@mmorpg.com

Weapon-X

Novice Member

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies.

8/16/04 5:01:17 PM#8

Heya Malk;

Mages were one of only two classes to have their Talents in for most of the beta, so they were stronger, that goes without saying.  But there's another issue at work here.

That issue is this:  Mages are custom-built for Ganking, IMHO.  Or at least they were until the Pyroblast nerf.  Let's look at it: how did most Mages win in PvP:  In my experience, it was by going invisible, standing just out of Retaliation range, and using Arcane Power, PoM, Combustion, and Pyroblast.  WHAM, Insta-Gank.  And if the Mage was Undead, they could just hang out by the nearest body of water, and be pretty much immune to any retalitation. 

They've partially addressed this by altering Pyroblast, and I personally hope that's as far as they go with Mage Nerfs, at least until they have everyone else's talents in, and some fair comparisons can be made.

Zarlan

Novice Member

8/16/04 5:13:13 PM#9

I am on the beta and I can tell you from a 1st-person perspective that WoW is a really fun game. It isn't really for the casual gamer as much as you think. It has taken my 2.5 /played days to get to level 22. That is about the same amount of time as EQ Live's experience curve takes. The is one difference, WoW is fun! I just love the environment, the spells, the quests, heck I even love the UI. There is a LOT of potential for this game, and those people flaming it on the bnet boards haven't even played it. I, for one, will be buying this game in retail. My warlock doesn't even have her talents yet, but I'm still having a blast. PvP will be fixed, the classes will be balanced, and content will be added. Blizzard has a good reputation for not releasing games until they are finished. WoW is more complete now than most MMOs are at release! Don't worry, WoW will rock. EQ2 may be better, I haven't played it. In any case, I will be playing WoW when it comes out. I'm looking forward to the next year because of all the awesome titles that will be released in it.

-------------------------------
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not."

-------------------------------
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who do not."

Malkavian

Novice Member

8/16/04 6:59:13 PM#10

Originally posted by Weapon-X

Heya Malk;

Mages were one of only two classes to have their Talents in for most of the beta, so they were stronger, that goes without saying.  But there's another issue at work here.

That issue is this:  Mages are custom-built for Ganking, IMHO.  Or at least they were until the Pyroblast nerf.  Let's look at it: how did most Mages win in PvP:  In my experience, it was by going invisible, standing just out of Retaliation range, and using Arcane Power, PoM, Combustion, and Pyroblast.  WHAM, Insta-Gank.  And if the Mage was Undead, they could just hang out by the nearest body of water, and be pretty much immune to any retalitation. 

They've partially addressed this by altering Pyroblast, and I personally hope that's as far as they go with Mage Nerfs, at least until they have everyone else's talents in, and some fair comparisons can be made.

Good points.

I agree with you a "Fire Mage" is built for Damage but i think what a lot of people in the Beta at the moment fail to realise is that "Resistances" isn't in full swing yet. Come near the end of Beta i think you will see a lot of differences in how a mage is played in PvP and the TYPE of mage being the more popular.

The "pyro" skill is still as powerful as it was before the latest patch. The only major changes that were made, were the DOT DMG and Casting Time. Effectively still useable in PvP (if you know how to play Mage appropriately). I use pyro more offten in PvE than pvp due to the casting time.

As for being undead, and the water issue - Being an unead mage i can still be targted under water and hit. Underwater battles are possible. And with engineering devices allowing underwater breathing undead are not safe in the water as much as you think. Also with the New Tracking Changes Undead Mages are going to be the hurt most.

As far as the Mage nerf goes, name a PvP MMORPG where the mage class hasnt been nerfd because of whining tanks who get theair head spun backwards before they know what had happened.  I too hope that's as far as the nerfing goes.

Like i said previously, and as you mentioned we're about halfway through the beta and theres only 2 classes with their talents. Its very hard to make judgement on something thats only half done. As it stands right now, If i could redo my mage for the Horde, I would make him a Troll (to counter the popular Undead Tracking) and make him Arcane. (Arcane has has far greater control over targets than Ice or Fire IMO)

- Malkavian

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
Forum Stalker
Malkavian@mmorpg.com

Weapon-X

Novice Member

I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies.

8/16/04 7:27:59 PM#11

I must admit that I'm more frequently on the receiving end of a Pyroblast than I am on the delivery end of the equation.    And yes, you're absolutely right: once Resistances are in, it'll be a whole different ballgame.   I just wish that the fine folks in the WoW beta forums would stop calling for Mage nerfs until Resistances are available- I really fear Mages will be nerfed just because Elfbane can't restrain himself. 

Ah, well.   I have faith in Blizzard.  Honestly, I was planning on going Frost after Beta myself, but it's hard to justify when Fire is where all the bigtime Damage resides.  I wish that the Talents were so dependant on each other- it'd be nice be able to have mixed Fire/Ice attacks, but you know how the Talent tree goes- you're basically married to one Talent tree.  IMHO, of course- other folks might feel differently.

admriker444

Novice Member

Ralph Koster
"bottom line in SWG’s case is that we certainly overpromised and underdelivered."

8/16/04 7:41:41 PM#12

I'll admit I'm not completely familiar with WoW only recently having gotten interested in it. However, I have one nagging issue thats bothering me. I watched a video clip, fairly long maybe 350mb from a player in beta. I watched him run around killing things. I gotta say the combat looked pretty uninspiring. It reminded me of DAoC or Horizons. Not trying to start a flame war here, I just didnt think it was all that great. I watched him throw some fireballs at some mobs that also didnt inspire fear in me. Then at close range he just clubbed away.

I wasnt impressed needless to say, and the graphics were really pretty bad. I can forgive much if content and gameplay are excellent, hope they can overcome what I saw.

Lugnard

Novice Member

What do I look like?

An Orc?

8/16/04 9:05:07 PM#13

Originally posted by admriker444

I'll admit I'm not completely familiar with WoW only recently having gotten interested in it. However, I have one nagging issue thats bothering me. I watched a video clip, fairly long maybe 350mb from a player in beta. I watched him run around killing things. I gotta say the combat looked pretty uninspiring. It reminded me of DAoC or Horizons. Not trying to start a flame war here, I just didnt think it was all that great. I watched him throw some fireballs at some mobs that also didnt inspire fear in me. Then at close range he just clubbed away.

I wasnt impressed needless to say, and the graphics were really pretty bad. I can forgive much if content and gameplay are excellent, hope they can overcome what I saw.

I'm going to assume the video you watched was from that of juniorx's creation (the only person to my knowledge that has created a video of that size so far). That being said, his mage video only covered levels from 1 - 5 which is clearly not an accurate representation of the game (the more inspiring content comes a little after that).

Also due to the video program he used, the video made the game look 100 times uglier than what it really is. If you want to see what the game looks more like, go onto the Blizzard boards and look at one of the "High Resolution, High Quality Screenshots" threads to get a more accurate representation of what the game will look like on your computer.

Vakktn

Novice Member

"A ninja must be able to read underneath the underneath."

8/16/04 9:19:08 PM#14
Yeah juniorx vids werent the best quality... using fraps makes your framerate drop below 20 FPS and he had a medium build computer and he had to put all the settings on minimum to record that vid. As for the combat the combat looks good to me... as for mages... well mages are boring ... nuke...run...nuke...run... yadda yadda... The combat is different for each class and what playstyle you like. And those videos were all low level mobs and usually level 1-5 mobs dont put fear into you in ANY MMO.

MrPunx

Novice Member

"You shoot me in a dream you better wake up and appologise!"

8/16/04 10:28:32 PM#15

dont worrie about it!

daoc had RVR(PvP) and that game had the best long term game.

wow will have some of the same features as daoc making it worth it to PvP and have fun. Trust me the game will be awesome if you like PvP and even if you dont there will be raids and stuff that will be worth it.

P.S. ill see you on the battle field

PLAYED TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Everquest
Dark Age Of Camelot
City Of Heros
Asherons call 2
Final Fantasy XI
Lineage 2
Neocron
The Saga of Ryzom
Horizons
Anarch Online
Biosfear
Everquest Online Adventure
Endless ages
Knight Online

Odenathus

Novice Member

Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

8/17/04 11:45:00 AM#16

A couple of other things to think about, that I don't think anyone else has touched on; your link.  The link you posted to show some negativity from players, well, thats the BNet forum and not the Beta forum.  So, while I've actually seen two beta testers posting there, the majority of the posts, regarding WoW on those forums, are from folks that haven't seen the game.

Another thing to remember, about the beta testers (myself included) is that we tend to forget were testing and not playing.  What I mean is, leveling for instance.  Blizzard has stated that they upped the experience so that testers would lvl faster so that they could test more content in a shorter window of time.  This means that where one player made lvl 50 (current lvl cap) in several days, once commercial release is out, he'll need a bit more time.... and us testers tend to forget that and make value judgement based on this experience.

Only two continents available, classes aren't finished, talents aren't finished, no raid content, how can any truely judge the survivability of this game? 

[edit to add link] see if you can use http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wow-general This is a link to the General Beta forum (not sure if it will load)

WoW Beta - Skirnir; Dwarven Mage (Beta Server, PvE)
Veni Vidi Castratavi Illegitmos

----------------------------------------
My dog barks some. Mentally you picture my dog, but I have not told you the type of dog which I have. Perhaps you even picture Toto, from "The Wizard of Oz." But I warn you, my dog is always with me.

Malkavian

Novice Member

8/17/04 12:42:58 PM#17

Yep Oden has it down. It's just too early to tell.

I just hope they fix the Alliance v Undead issues before release, or noone is going to want to play them.

- Malkavian

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
Forum Stalker
Malkavian@mmorpg.com

Necromancur

Novice Member

8/11/14 8:53:13 AM#18
i think it will probably fail
  Nadia

Tipster

8/11/14 9:02:40 AM#19
Originally posted by Lugnard

Blizzard has nothing to fear in terms of competition.

agree