Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Citizen | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,278 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,222
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » Character Level Boost to 90 priced at $60

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
41 posts found
  silverreign

Apprentice Member

It is what it is

2/18/14 7:30:41 PM#21

what that person meant was that all the work they put into the entire game not just raids. all the work they did on all content from lvl 1 -89 is wasted now. pretty much all the xpacs released as well.

Ghern

Novice Member

2/18/14 7:38:41 PM#22
Originally posted by doodphace
Originally posted by Ghern

This seems really hypocritical by Blizz.

They stated in the past the reason they implemented LFR is because only 3% of their player base experienced raiding.

Blizz wanted more players to experience the content they put work in to.

Fast forward a few years and now you can pay money and skip all leveling content that their employees worked on in the past?

I always go back to WoW to see the new expansions. This doesn't sit well with me. I might just skip my first expansion with WoD.

...boosting to lvl 90 lets players immediatly experiance LFR/Raids...no hypocracy there...you may think instant 90 is a very bad idea...but your example actually proves what they said, about wanting more ppl to enjoy raiding....

You missed the point entirely.

funyahns

Apprentice Member

2/18/14 7:42:49 PM#23
 I don't think its a big deal.  It is something to consider if you are in a guild and want to play a different class than what you already have. I am not sure how long it takes to get to level 90 anymore but I can guarantee that I can make 60 dollars at my job faster than I can get to max level on a character.  Since the game is old now, and there is no actual  contested content then who cares if someone spends 60 bucks to get a max character.
  doodphace

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 7:43:54 PM#24
Originally posted by silverreign

what that person meant was that all the work they put into the entire game not just raids. all the work they did on all content from lvl 1 -89 is wasted now. pretty much all the xpacs released as well.

His point was Blizz was being hyprocitacle by saying they want more people to raid, then enabled more people to raid. He may have wanted his post to mean what you are saying, but the example he used literally confirmed Blizz's commitment on wanting everyone to participate in its endgame. And if you think blizz spent more time developing MoP questing areas, than they did developing all of its raid tiers thus far and max level content thus far in the xpac, you really do not understand what endgame content actually consists of in WoW.

And by judging from the comments, it doesnt appear as if anyone has looked into Blizz's explanation for why they are doing it. WoW is 10 years old...process that, 10 years. Its a 10 year old game with 8 million players. The biggest hurdle preventing new players from playing with their friends, is having to level from 1-90 just to catch up to them. Someone with 12 level 90 toons can prob do so in a couple of days, but a brand new player, not so much. As the old saying goes, WoW really only starts at endgame. Unless you are an altaholic, you have spent much more time doing things at max level than you did leveling your charecter to begin with. Thats one of the things WoW has, that not many other themeparks do, an insane amount of endgame content. As soon as you hit 90, everything you have aquired up to that point is obsolete...there is absolutly 0 pay to win with this. You may think its a very bad idea, and I don't like the idea of instant 90s myself, but pulling out all these insane accusations is quite the spectacle.

doodphace

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 7:47:36 PM#25

This seems really hypocritical by Blizz.

They stated in the past the reason they implemented LFR is because only 3% of their player base experienced raiding.

Blizz wanted more players to experience the content they put work in to.

Fast forward a few years and now you can pay money and skip all leveling content that their employees worked on in the past?

I always go back to WoW to see the new expansions. This doesn't sit well with me. I might just skip my first expansion with WoD.

...boosting to lvl 90 lets players immediatly experiance LFR/Raids...no hypocracy there...you may think instant 90 is a very bad idea...but your example actually proves what they said, about wanting more ppl to enjoy raiding....

You missed the point entirely.

No, I understood the accusation you meant to make. The issue here, is you shoehorned it into a quote that actually supports the idea of instant endgame capable toons...

Put a little more thought into it next time please.

Hellidol

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 7:48:12 PM#26
woot, cant wait to start my sub back up and pay my 60$!!!!!

doodphace

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 7:49:02 PM#27
Originally posted by Hellidol
woot, cant wait to start my sub back up and pay my 60$!!!!!

I didn't realise it was mandatory, I guess I haven't been keeping up with the news.

Octagon7711

Elite Member

Devs please nerf paper it's overpowered I'm rock which is fine scissors are fine.

2/18/14 9:17:03 PM#28
I like how they are always willing to take a risk.  Taking risks is what made them the best and keeps them at the top.  The bottom line is no matter what you do, or don't do, there will be gamers who don't like it.  

AZHokie54

Novice Member

2/18/14 11:01:21 PM#29
Just awesome, pay money to skip right to the most mind-numbingly, boring part of the game.
  doodphace

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 11:11:12 PM#30
Originally posted by AZHokie54
Just awesome, pay money to skip right to the most mind-numbingly, boring part of the game.

I'd much rather progress through heroic SoO with 25 people, than chain run quest hubs by myself...but hey, I guess i'm crazy.

nationalcity

Apprentice Member

2/18/14 11:16:50 PM#31

I'd much rather progress through heroic SoO with 25 people, than chain run quest hubs by myself...but hey, I guess i'm crazy.

I'd much rather play ESO, Wildstar, Eqn landmark or just about any other game coming out this year... "But hey, I guess i'm crazy"

doodphace

Hard Core Member

2/18/14 11:31:08 PM#32
Originally posted by nationalcity

I'd much rather play ESO, Wildstar, Eqn landmark or just about any other game coming out this year... "But hey, I guess i'm crazy"

As would I. My response was to the notion that leveling in WoW was less mind numbingly boring than raid progression or rated PVP.....but hey....well, you know....

Deathspank

Novice Member

"Greetings, random non-playable character!"

OP  2/19/14 12:00:34 AM#33

There is another thing we haven't considered. Blizz is probably testing the waters for a free to play model. Before, the RMTs were limited to cosmetic items and stuff like realm/name/race change. Now were slowly seeing services that impact gameplay.

While yes, you can argue that it's more pay to skip than pay to win as level 90 won't be endgame, lvl 100 will. It is still a significant boost to your character and the change is not just cosmetic.

I'd imagine they will keep adding more services to the cash shop over a period of time instead of one day suddenly saying "Hey! we're going  free to play. Here's your cash shop!" 

I can see WoW having at least 2 more expansions after WoD after which they will flip the F2P switch and add many more year's to the games life. This will also be done around the time they release Project Titan as i can't see them having 2 sub based MMOs.

AmbrosiaAmor

Novice Member

2/19/14 2:53:25 PM#34
Originally posted by DamonVile
I wonder how many people complaining even play wow anymore.

Well... when you put it that way! It is a bit pricey. I wouldn't mind if it were for the whole account. I might get it (way later) when they offer a discount.

ktanner3

Master

Trolls will be ignored

2/19/14 8:02:02 PM#35
Originally posted by Naevius
So, for the price of a game, you can...not play it.

That was my thinking as well. I could see doing it for those that have already gotten that far and don't feel like doing it over again but you know there will be people who haven't done any of it getting instant 90 and being clueless how to play and gear their character for the endgame content.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

Kevyne-Shandris

Apprentice Member

You can't † BURY † ¤¤ Holy Paladins ¤¤ As we will always __.- ASCEND -.__

2/19/14 8:17:46 PM#36
Originally posted by bcbully

Just left mmo-champion too. It's going nuts over there. 

That's normal.

Just wait until a mod comes on the thread to bait/ban player(s). For a site that issues "infractions" it resembles junior high school, including it's "teachers". -_-

But $60 won't be the final price, as that's more than a box. Now if it's marketing a marketing ploy for players to make 10 accounts to drive up account numbers, yeah, WoW is in trouble.

GuyClinch

Apprentice Member

2/25/14 8:01:08 PM#37

You aren't crazy at all. Any gaming company seeks ot provide value for its customers. I the MMO its something like I want to provide a fun gaming experience for the players. So you seek to trade that for money. You trade fun for money. Its pay to play.

You only do so if you think this trade is worth it.

Now Blizzard is coming along and saying here pay NOT to play so you can play the 'really fun' stuff we have at then end a lot sooner. This really is a new value proposition and its not nearly as appealing. And this is why more companies don't do this.

Even if you temporarily make more money - you are essentially poisioning the well to do it. Future customers are going to say wait a minute. Why should I pay to NOT play. Maybe I should just skip this one.

Shadoed

Advanced Member

2/26/14 7:50:06 AM#38
Originally posted by GuyClinch

You aren't crazy at all. Any gaming company seeks ot provide value for its customers. I the MMO its something like I want to provide a fun gaming experience for the players. So you seek to trade that for money. You trade fun for money. Its pay to play.

You only do so if you think this trade is worth it.

Now Blizzard is coming along and saying here pay NOT to play so you can play the 'really fun' stuff we have at then end a lot sooner. This really is a new value proposition and its not nearly as appealing. And this is why more companies don't do this.

Even if you temporarily make more money - you are essentially poisioning the well to do it. Future customers are going to say wait a minute. Why should I pay to NOT play. Maybe I should just skip this one.

There are couple of likely targets for this which would be those that want to join their friends in the game, those that are returning and have already been through the levelling process and those that have many characters and want to boost a couple to save them having to do the same runs 8 or 9 times.

As i said in another post, the game is now 10 years old, some people have run the levelling content to death several times over, but those that still enjoy that experience can still do it and will still do it, but it is a dwindling population.

The other thing to remember is that if they decide to leave the boost at this price point, there are few that would deem it worth the money other than those already mentioned which is probably why that price was chosen. Cheap enough for those that really want to boost a char, but expensive enough to discourage it from being something that people will do with every character. 

The thing that a lot of people seem to be missing from this argument is that it is a 'choice' to do this or not, they aren't forcing anyone to boost a character and as i have said above it will be a limited amount of people that do i believe for very specific reasons, but it is another choice on the table.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Fdzzaigl

Advanced Member

2/26/14 7:52:38 AM#39

That's a new low really.

Where has the great game gone where people had incredible adventures when leveling up, sometimes choosing to stay in a zone just for the sake of roleplaying? Like the gurubashi arena or the racetrack in thousand needles, or the battles round tarren mill...

Long gone I guess, blown away on the wind of greed.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Shadoed

Advanced Member

2/26/14 8:27:04 AM#40
Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

That's a new low really.

Where has the great game gone where people had incredible adventures when leveling up, sometimes choosing to stay in a zone just for the sake of roleplaying? Like the gurubashi arena or the racetrack in thousand needles, or the battles round tarren mill...

Long gone I guess, blown away on the wind of greed.

Again, is it just a move for greed or is it just sensibly addressing the needs of the current playerbase.

The things you fondly talk about there are from Vanilla days, long, long gone times and people that have stuck with the game also remember those days fondly but have run that content several times in both it's vanilla and cataclysm forms, how many times can you run the same content over and over again? How many of those returning from leaving during Wrath or Cataclysm or even Pandaria are going to want to wade through it all to get to play the new expansion?

Most will be happy with the single L90 boost given with the expansion, but for those that want a taste of other characters, here is their options, they can run through content they have no interest in or they can pony up and get a boost to where they ultimately want to be. It isn't an option i will be using as i personally enjoy the levelling experience, but it is an option that you can choose to exercise or not, your choice.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search