Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,568 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,924
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » 5 more Connected Realms planned

13 posts found
  Nadia

Tipster

OP  10/23/13 1:15:41 PM#1

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/22/more-connected-realms-on-the-way-for-wow/

Five pairs of servers are due to be linked, though the company doesn't yet "have a specific date on which these connections will occur."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/05/world-of-warcraft-sews-together-realms-to-solve-population-issue/

Sukiyaki

Hard Core Member

10/29/13 4:06:41 PM#2

Didnt expect them to conduct so many at once so fast. 35 server merged already, 6 on schedule, even more announced. Player all sides begging for them. Even player from just merged server asking for further ones again because the change in population was hardly noticeable and helpful.

Thats about 10% of all Western WoW server affected by the merges. Maybe they merge as many as possible before the press not in bed with them or WoW fansites catches on to the "connected realm" facade and its just old news then.

Briansho

Apprentice Member

Functionless Art is Simply Tolerated Vandalism...We Are The Vandals.

10/30/13 1:59:30 PM#3
Connected realms sounds much safer than server merge. Less chance of people leaving the game and connected realms is worded to sound like it's a new feature!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

sportsfan

Advanced Member

10/31/13 10:49:59 AM#4
Originally posted by Briansho
Connected realms sounds much safer than server merge. Less chance of people leaving the game and connected realms is worded to sound like it's a new feature!

Connected servers are not even merges.

Players connect to their respective home realms and play along with other connected ones.

It pretty much solves the problem of merging servers for once and for all.

Blizzard found an ideal tool to play in populated worlds forever.

A pity MMO's are dead as long term interest is concerned.

Next big thing is Hearthstone and their next Dota game.

I forsee a Blizz subscription fee incoming.

Nadia

Tipster

OP  10/31/13 11:31:21 AM#5
Originally posted by sportsfan

i dont - unless Blizzard throws in perks like extra Hearthstone gold for subbing to WOW

similar to what SOE does for EQ1/EQ2 subs

SOE gives subs 5.00 extra in monthly Station Cash credit

goldtoof

Novice Member

10/31/13 12:34:47 PM#6
It's a very clever way of merging servers without having to loose face by saying you are merging servers.

Wish other devs had thought of this instead of this craze for mega-servers with loads of instanced zones as a way to avoidoosing face when merging servers.

It's much more preferable, you still keep your server community and don't have to put up with annoyances like finding what instance your friends are in.
  sportsfan

Advanced Member

11/01/13 5:31:12 AM#7
Originally posted by Nadia
Originally posted by sportsfan

i dont - unless Blizzard throws in perks like extra Hearthstone gold for subbing to WOW

That's what I was referring to. Subscribe to the BattleNet service and get free things, like X free HS packs, new free things in their upcoming dota game along with an active WOW account.

They simply need more games for this to happen, so expect more Blizzard launches than in the past now that WOW recruiting new players will no longer happen.

But such a company simply needs the cash flow to make it all happen.

---

On topic: the connected realms idea and implementation is fantastic, but it should be launched as a standard feature in their new MMORPG (IF there ever will be a new one, as standard MMO's are pretty much a thing of the past - sad but true I guess).

Hearthstone, Dota games and instanced FPS with Role Playing attached like Destiny will fill in the hole of "seamless open worlds to live/game in", simply by the fact these games will attract the masses.

Sad panda here.

Phry

Elite Member

11/01/13 6:03:54 AM#8
Kind of like the whole 'connected realms' idea, not enough to go back to playing the game myself, but it does get around the whole server merger problems with names being already taken etc. Might not be a bad thing to do on other games too, i can sort of see GW2 benefiting from this kind of thing, or any game with a declining population tbh, i don't know if it will help retain players in WoW, but it at least will give those that are, more people to play with, which has to be a good thing
  emperorwings

Hard Core Member

11/01/13 7:14:15 AM#9
You already have to pay for HS anyways if you're interested in tournaments.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

sportsfan

Advanced Member

11/02/13 8:55:05 AM#10
Originally posted by emperorwings
You already have to pay for HS anyways if you're interested in tournaments.

My hunter deck is made complete out of basic, white cards and ... one rare.

And I win 60% on rated duels.

You can play Arena tournaments every 2 days by getting Gold for free and win or loss... you always get one pack fir free.

Played 700 games in 4 weeks, so I know what I talk about.

Sukiyaki

Hard Core Member

11/02/13 11:01:35 AM#11
Update:

Server merge list was upped to 63 realms now, with two new batches added on their plan

Thats closing in to 15% of all EU/US WoW server either scheduled for merges or already merged together within less than two months. Many more merges in sight according to the staff.
  bcbully

Elite Member

11/02/13 11:04:37 AM#12

"connected realms"

If not at the top already, promote that person.

edit- Tar and feather, then excommunicate them forever from the mmorpg industry.

Zorgo

Elite Member

Who did wrong? The advertiser hired to sell the game or the consumer who put faith in advertising?

11/04/13 3:52:20 PM#13
Originally posted by bcbully

"connected realms"

If not at the top already, promote that person.

edit- Tar and feather, then excommunicate them forever from the mmorpg industry.

Because......