Trending Games | ArcheAge | Guild Wars 2 | WildStar | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,786,601 Users Online:0
Games:723  Posts:6,193,194
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » Why would anyone return to WoW?

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search
98 posts found
  Ice-Queen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2430

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

8/30/13 7:02:05 AM#61
I recently went back to WoW myself. My reason, the content, the activities outside of pve/pvp. There's just so much to do in the game. In the past 2 years that I went to try new games, there's just nothing out there as good as WoW, nothing that offers as much to do. I went back and all the people I use to raid/dungeon crawl/adventure with were still there.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  Ice-Queen

Apprentice Member

Joined: 1/02/08
Posts: 2430

"Always borrow money from a pessimist. They won't expect it back."

8/30/13 7:05:07 AM#62
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

way to skip MoP for free.

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

The reason why you remember what the npc names are is because the game is like a 100 years old and everything in wow has to be grinded a 1000 times so it's not that strange that you remember there names and GW2 and Tera has only been online for about a year so not that strange.

no sorry,i never "grinded" in Baldurs gate and i never "grinded" NPCs in WoW,they are just finely done thats all.

and in other games they are not,

 

People that dont remember npc from gw2 swtor or tsw never really played those games, because these current day mmos have the best fleshed out npcs ever. Need i say Zash or Logan?

 

 

unbelievable crap, i played Anarchy Online for about 5 years and still dont remember even names of key characters of RK.

There is this some NPC who starts ai missions and i cant remember its name or even gender.

No idea about TSW ,that Logan dude is that who looks like Wolverine on these advertisements ?

 

No mate anyone that played a sith sorcerer in swtor will never forget Lord Zash, same goes for anyone that played a human in gw2 they will never ever forget about Logan Thackery. 

 

Wow on the other hand was very good at creating iconic villains, in wow its those that i will never forget. 

I played a sith sorcerer and had totally forgotten about Lord Zash, heh.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
Dark Age of Camelot

  Lord.Bachus

Elite Member

Joined: 5/14/07
Posts: 8562

I believe in life before death... So dont forget to enjoy it while you still can.

 
OP  8/30/13 8:27:54 AM#63
Originally posted by The1ceQueen
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Beelzebobbie
Originally posted by PAL-18
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
Originally posted by PAL-18

Lets say their next expansion is a must have,top-notch product,housing,deep character customization,improved graphics,millions of new items ,challenging game play,servers merged which makes x-server and lft tools crap obsolete and worlds feels more alive again,elites comes back etc...

what else they need?

way to skip MoP for free.

Well, some new classes, two more races, more challenging top level of the game (Personally i am a huge fan of LFG tools so thats where i disagree with you) 

 

But then thats not what is was asking, i am looking to give people like me a good reason to return. I played for 3 years after release, and had a lot of fun..  But most of the things fun in WoW i can find in all those other games.   ]despite that, WoW allways felt special when i played it.. just cant figure out why..

and some new classes and races why not,and keep lfg tool servers and remove those from pvp servers or something like that.

To me they have atleast 1 special thing,some of its NPCs ,i still remember them,their names,what they wear and where,what do they have to say and such.

do i remember NPCs from Tera? ,no ,GW2? no,whatever other "wowclone"? and the answer is no.

+They somehow managed to make strong characters allmost like Baldurs Gate,that is real magic (allmost)

++ meh,i do remember one NPC from swtor,it was somekind of Yoda clone and i remember it because it was so terribly done,cant remember its name or voice i just remember that there was something terribly wrong.

The reason why you remember what the npc names are is because the game is like a 100 years old and everything in wow has to be grinded a 1000 times so it's not that strange that you remember there names and GW2 and Tera has only been online for about a year so not that strange.

no sorry,i never "grinded" in Baldurs gate and i never "grinded" NPCs in WoW,they are just finely done thats all.

and in other games they are not,

 

People that dont remember npc from gw2 swtor or tsw never really played those games, because these current day mmos have the best fleshed out npcs ever. Need i say Zash or Logan?

 

 

unbelievable crap, i played Anarchy Online for about 5 years and still dont remember even names of key characters of RK.

There is this some NPC who starts ai missions and i cant remember its name or even gender.

No idea about TSW ,that Logan dude is that who looks like Wolverine on these advertisements ?

 

No mate anyone that played a sith sorcerer in swtor will never forget Lord Zash, same goes for anyone that played a human in gw2 they will never ever forget about Logan Thackery. 

 

Wow on the other hand was very good at creating iconic villains, in wow its those that i will never forget. 

I played a sith sorcerer and had totally forgotten about Lord Zash, heh.

Really? How can you forget her?  She was quite iconic... espescially after she... (spoiler)  ,,,  Some things i will never forget, she is one of them.

 

And another game with iconic NPC was offcourse Lotro, but then i knew most of them from the books...

 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations)
Currently playing : The Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar

  Bladestrom

Hard Core Member

Joined: 4/04/11
Posts: 3129

8/30/13 12:09:53 PM#64
To remember game chars requires you to engage and immerse yourself with the story, and also the virtual world to provide context that helps remember memorable chars. Some modern mmorgs have lost the respect for their virtual world or how the lore is attached to the world - so your left with graphics and encounters aka 'exciting features' that to just don't care about or remember long term.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist)

Now playing Wildstar, AOW 3

  Vannor

Hard Core Member

Joined: 8/11/03
Posts: 2979

8/30/13 12:17:52 PM#65

I've gone off MMOs lately. I'm not playing any at all. If WoW went FTP though.. I'd jump back in. I've never played it properly.. never got to endgame or got a max level character but I've come back each expansion to check it out. It's weird.. cos Rift pushed me to play to max level with 5 characters but WoW didn't with 1.. but they are basically the same game.

I refuse subscription fees these days though, there's tons of other, cheaper ways to have fun gaming now; whether BTP or FTP.. which is why I won't play it again until the sub is gone.

  User Deleted
9/08/13 3:48:18 PM#66
Pretty much despite all the changes you didn't want, WoW is still the best mmorpg and even after this next batch of contenders, only EQNext has a chance to pull any serious numbers from wow. Everyone else will quit one for a month or two then come right back because they do it better. Smoothest combat, rich story, clear progression, and no cash shops in the way.
  Kevyne-Shandris

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/10/08
Posts: 1980

You can't † BURY † ¤¤ Holy Paladins ¤¤ As we will always __.- ASCEND -.__

9/13/13 9:14:10 AM#67
Originally posted by zaylin

One of the biggest issues is half the MMO community has turned into content locust so to speak burn threw all the content in a marathon run, and get to the end and complain there was not enough content.

5.4 came out on 9/10. Within 2hrs, at least one guy in chat was already complaining it was getting boring since he had a couple of S14 gear.

 

Then Blizzard nerfed the key drops dropping ilvl 535 upgrades on 9/12 (10k coins instead???), and for the most part, players are now gone. I bet before Sunday the zone will be as dead as any MoP zone now (except for Halfhill).

 

It was fun thinking we could get some gear within our lifetimes (people were commenting that the realm looked busy for a change), but alas, WoW players can't have good things. Be it with a population wanting too easy mode gameplay -- or devs who love burying their heads in the sand of the pulse of the community (Blizz prefers showmen like Lore, instead, the Shamwow guys as the "truth in advertising").

 

The real problem with WoW is the devs that built it no longer connect with the new gamers (who never grew up in the Warcraft series or Ultima/EQ). Hiring such players who are marketing themselves, well, we get what we see. Blizzard can't put a finger on it because they don't want to go there, as they're losing the new gamers as they have plenty of choices to choose from now (not just the only game in town).

 

Warned Blizzard about that before Cata -- those metrics can't measure feelings which is what sells things -- and banning thousands to try to control the message was SOE's downfall, too.

 

Tick, tock, tick.

  Ivylena

Elite Member

Joined: 9/18/04
Posts: 794

9/13/13 9:26:07 AM#68

MoP is on sale btw all. I just went back myself to start playing again...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10932275/This_Week_Only%E2%80%9450_Off_Mists_of_Pandaria-9_11_2013

TGIF...Thank God I'm Female

"Those with the most Opinions tend to have the fewest Facts"

  mbd1968

Hard Core Member

Joined: 2/21/07
Posts: 1908

9/13/13 9:31:14 AM#69

I resubbed at teh start of september and played for two days then canceled again. I had a feeling of been there and done that.

So, my reason would have to be "Don't bother, you've seen it all before."

  outfctrl

Novice Member

Joined: 11/16/03
Posts: 3630

American by Birth
Biker by choice
Patriot forever

9/13/13 9:32:33 AM#70

I am playing Rift right now, but I still want to jump back into WoW.  I played wow since release too.  If it wasnt for my Daughter loving Rift, I would go back to WoW for awhile, but I dont want two subs even though Rift is free.

The thing is, you really never quit, it is always in the back of your mind.  It is like a little voice in your head calling you to go back.

LOL

  User Deleted
9/13/13 9:33:09 AM#71

I guess after 9 years my question is, "Why would anyone leave WoW?"

I spent all that time trying out other games and winding up "going back to WoW" every 6 months. I don't even bother with new MMOs anymore because they crash and burn so quickly.

My rule used to be wait 2 months before checking out a new MMO. Now it's one year. I've saved myself a small fortune doing this. Win-win.

 

  Merklynn

Novice Member

Joined: 6/09/10
Posts: 74

9/13/13 9:41:24 AM#72

People come back for lots of reasons mainly social imo...

This time of year though I do think of my favorite WoW holidays: Brewfest & Hallow's End. Blizzard certainly was spot on when it came to festive events.

To my old Horde friends on Runetotem: Crush those Alliance Scum!

To my old Alliance friends on Llane: Down with the Horde - Onward to Victory!

I however left WoW after 6yrs of casual play & keep looking forward to other newer mmo's that might be subscription worthy.

Merklynn Xfire Miniprofile
  Kevyne-Shandris

Apprentice Member

Joined: 3/10/08
Posts: 1980

You can't † BURY † ¤¤ Holy Paladins ¤¤ As we will always __.- ASCEND -.__

9/13/13 10:26:19 AM#73
Originally posted by grimgryphon

I guess after 9 years my question is, "Why would anyone leave WoW?"

I spent all that time trying out other games and winding up "going back to WoW" every 6 months. I don't even bother with new MMOs anymore because they crash and burn so quickly.

My rule used to be wait 2 months before checking out a new MMO. Now it's one year. I've saved myself a small fortune doing this. Win-win.

 

 

That's the same with any MMO.

 

Went back to EvE after a few years of being away, because I'm bored with WoW (especially how Ghostcrawler borked healing -- and it's showing by how much on the Proving Grounds challenge -- which is even the reason I came to play WoW from EQII). Spent a quarter of a year there skilling and 5.4 was on the PTR. Came back prior to 5.4 to square away alts. Probably will go back to EvE again by Christmas, as skilling in itself is addictive (let alone I'm a crafter and it's market is out-of-this-world!).

 

Players skip from MMOs to not burn out, and to try different venues (EvE is a space sim). When I'm bored of THE grind in MMOs, I hop onto Battlefield 3 (and come this fall BF4).

  Grummus

Novice Member

Joined: 7/28/13
Posts: 114

9/14/13 7:31:50 PM#74

Most release to WOTLK era players are long gone, so returning for nostalgia or to play with old friends, old guild members is impossible. With the tactical nuclear strike they've thrown at community forming gameplay elements there will be no recapturing the "early days." It's only worth now is for the bright-eyed newbies who don't have preconceptions or real experience with the game. Even then it's only good for a month or two of play now considering the rate of spoon-fed progression.


Being on top for too long, becoming complacent and then trying to capture a new playerbase (to the detriment of the old) cost too much in accelerated bleed. The game would be bleeding even if it was vanilla-tbc era quality still, but not this fast. Cataclysm really WAS a Cataclysm, I'm not even going start ranting about MoP.


1-60 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via pvp and instances was top notch. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.


60-70 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via instances was top notch. Arena hurt PVP communities and players more than anyone will realize until WOTLK. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.


70-80 Leveling takes a nose dive, most of WOTLK's content was cut. Guild interaction, community formation elements are stagnating. Dungeon finder further shits on community and REAL guild formation. Extreme casualization of raid content to coax incapable players through content starts the downward spiral of PVE that arena started in TBC for PVP. (ToC shitfest, ICC being up for over a year, VERY HIGH character turnover at 80) Single character progression is okay, guild progression up to and including Ulduar is solid, after that it nosedives and turnover consumes it.


80-85 We are now at maximum retard. Guilds are entirely destroyed, pve/pvp communities suffer from arena and casualitis shoveled into the game to coax the really bad players that WOTLK bred through LFR. (Remember the bitching over simple Cataclysm heroic mechanics? Those players would've rage quit life in the day of TBC heroics.)


85-90 *vomit*


Short version in case anyone cares or even reads this:

Opening end game content (even arena counts, in a sense) to players who lack skill, general hand-eye coordination and freetime lead to the tuning of content which further degraded the playerbase, in turn leading to exponentially climbing turnover and a total destruction of any community of any sort outside small pockets of the dedicated low level twinking brackets. Casual players did not need raid content, mechanics did not need tuned to allow them to progress when they were otherwise incapable. There needs to be a top end (the 1% lol) for the rest to exist in a cohesive fashion. It's too late to undo any of the mistakes, and given the path design has taken even if the next expansion blows our minds, it'll never recover, at best they'll bandage the player hemorrhage for a couple months.(Cutting of WOTLK Content, which lead to turnover they tried to combat in the end by shoveling morons through raids is at the root of this.)

  thremma

Advanced Member

Joined: 5/24/09
Posts: 14

9/14/13 9:24:44 PM#75

On the cost of getting the expansions, when I recently resubbed after a few years away, I did the Scroll of Resurection thing with my brother; he got a mount , and I got the expansions i missed except for  Pandaria as part of the resurrection deal.   I'm not sure if it works like that all the time or if it was a particularly special deal, but it worked for me.  But it did reduce the cost of being up to date by quite a bit, if you have friends that still play.

 

Thou movest us to delight in praising Thee, for Thou has formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee. - St. Augustine

  Baramos79

Novice Member

Joined: 10/12/12
Posts: 69

9/14/13 9:30:26 PM#76
I tried to go back earlier this year but the download took longer than my playtime. I just couldn't get back into it after being gone for four years.
  Slampig

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 2380

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

9/14/13 9:32:32 PM#77
Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There are so many people lost  in MMo land jumping from MMo to MMO, and they cant find what they are looking for in any of them...

 

Can anyone give them a reason to choose WoW as their new home? 

Why would we return to WoW?

 

(and no, i am not asking for reasons why i should not return to this game)

My main reason is having to buy the last 3 expansions might be rather steep just to try it, so there needs to be some realy good reasons for me to join.  

 

You can get the entire game for around $50. They are having a half off for Mists right now. Doesn't seem like to bad a deal to me. Cheaper than the XBox game I bought the other day.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  SagaSoluna

Novice Member

Joined: 9/01/13
Posts: 14

9/14/13 9:34:11 PM#78

When i occasionally return to it is always because of :

-I have my friends there

-It offers a lot of content to do and explore, and it allows you to access it easily.

-It is polished, easy to re-learn even if you forgot your class and decently flashy and entertaining in short bursts.

-Nostalgia

  Slampig

Advanced Member

Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 2380

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

9/14/13 9:36:24 PM#79
Originally posted by Keylogger_007

Most release to WOTLK era players are long gone, so returning for nostalgia or to play with old friends, old guild members is impossible. With the tactical nuclear strike they've thrown at community forming gameplay elements there will be no recapturing the "early days." It's only worth now is for the bright-eyed newbies who don't have preconceptions or real experience with the game. Even then it's only good for a month or two of play now considering the rate of spoon-fed progression.


Being on top for too long, becoming complacent and then trying to capture a new playerbase (to the detriment of the old) cost too much in accelerated bleed. The game would be bleeding even if it was vanilla-tbc era quality still, but not this fast. Cataclysm really WAS a Cataclysm, I'm not even going start ranting about MoP.


1-60 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via pvp and instances was top notch. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.


60-70 Leveling, guild interaction, player interaction via instances was top notch. Arena hurt PVP communities and players more than anyone will realize until WOTLK. Progression for single characters and guilds was top notch.


70-80 Leveling takes a nose dive, most of WOTLK's content was cut. Guild interaction, community formation elements are stagnating. Dungeon finder further shits on community and REAL guild formation. Extreme casualization of raid content to coax incapable players through content starts the downward spiral of PVE that arena started in TBC for PVP. (ToC shitfest, ICC being up for over a year, VERY HIGH character turnover at 80) Single character progression is okay, guild progression up to and including Ulduar is solid, after that it nosedives and turnover consumes it.


80-85 We are now at maximum retard. Guilds are entirely destroyed, pve/pvp communities suffer from arena and casualitis shoveled into the game to coax the really bad players that WOTLK bred through LFR. (Remember the bitching over simple Cataclysm heroic mechanics? Those players would've rage quit life in the day of TBC heroics.)


85-90 *vomit*


Short version in case anyone cares or even reads this:

Opening end game content (even arena counts, in a sense) to players who lack skill, general hand-eye coordination and freetime lead to the tuning of content which further degraded the playerbase, in turn leading to exponentially climbing turnover and a total destruction of any community of any sort outside small pockets of the dedicated low level twinking brackets. Casual players did not need raid content, mechanics did not need tuned to allow them to progress when they were otherwise incapable. There needs to be a top end (the 1% lol) for the rest to exist in a cohesive fashion. It's too late to undo any of the mistakes, and given the path design has taken even if the next expansion blows our minds, it'll never recover, at best they'll bandage the player hemorrhage for a couple months.(Cutting of WOTLK Content, which lead to turnover they tried to combat in the end by shoveling morons through raids is at the root of this.)

 

How very elitist of you.

Prove to me that all the players from Lich King are gone. Maybe in your neck of the woods but where I am sitting there are still tons of people from the "good 'ole days"...

For as many posts that are exactly the same as yours, why do we need more of the same? 

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  Betaguy

Elite Member

Joined: 12/31/04
Posts: 2571

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

9/14/13 9:37:25 PM#80
Originally posted by The1ceQueen
I recently went back to WoW myself. My reason, the content, the activities outside of pve/pvp. There's just so much to do in the game. In the past 2 years that I went to try new games, there's just nothing out there as good as WoW, nothing that offers as much to do. I went back and all the people I use to raid/dungeon crawl/adventure with were still there.

I just re-subbed myself, having fun. /shrug

5 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 » Search