Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,577 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,316,955
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » What does WoW do better then its competition?

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search
131 posts found
  Sukiyaki

Hard Core Member

7/07/13 2:30:06 PM#121

Originally posted by sportsfan
BTW: in every post you lied these days: WOW made 275 million GAAP revenue in the last quarter, not "less than 75 million per month". And btw GAAP is the only official accepted standard for bookkeeping in the US.
Your ample proof remains to be a joke no matter the struggle. But it takes some guts to defend even the quote of wikipedia referencing a guess by the owner of mmogchart.com (the predecessor of mmodata.com) and call it ample proof.

But lets not try to deceive people. Blizzard earned 228 Million NON-GAAP in the three months according to ActivisionBlizzard's own financial report. It is excluding deferred revenues. The standard that counts as much for investor as the GAAP standard. The same NON-GAAP standards you keep citing dozen of times, whenever the games launched an expansion only to switch to GAAP standards to literally glorify Blizzard twice for the same single Dollar. You just keep digging you hole deeper.

Oops so I had 218 instead of 228 in mind so its barely at 76 Million, per month not yet less than 75 million. Ooopps , but wait that's is only including up to several million revenues from Call of Duty memberships which you again try to deceive people to believe are at zero shouting the service went F2P, which however does not mean the service makes no revenues from VAS and content package sales. Only 3 million plus one from CoD memberships and I am factually correct again, but certainly you have no proof to claim I'd be wrong either way. See how easy and quick it can work to rectify an error? How about you try it with the massive errors in pretty much all of your claims? Then again... we will see if I was 100% correct or just likely correct next month about their earnings "now".

Originally posted by UNATCOII
Facts here is you're arguing numbers to defend your views, which isn't what too many WoW players see it. To WoW players you mention F2P, they see it as failure (because so many MMOs that opened as the WoW killer, lost subs and then went F2P).

Fact is I am arguing about facts with uh facts to debunk views and fabrications sold as "facts". Did you notice I have not even put my opinion on F2P? I just pointed out this deceptive fanboy is fabricating numbers and on one side denying and sweeping over the existence of numerous subscription based MMORPGs and literally million of subscribed* gamer just to make WoWs sub drop appear less grave and on the other side denying the hundredmillion of reported revenues not just the P2P, but also F2P MMO market makes besides WoW. Our friend here is even citing multiple majorly (regional) subscription* based MMORPGs with several hundred thousand of subscribed* player and labels them as F2P, just to fabricate more support his claims about the industry.

*by the same definition he's using for WoW subscriptions.

sportsfan

Advanced Member

7/08/13 6:23:47 AM#122
Originally posted by UNATCOII
Originally posted by sportsfan

These guys think free MMO's will kill WOW. They kill the complete industry instead, because no one will pay the huge development costs anymore for a very doubtful stream of non fixed revenue...

Something to think about.

Amen.

F2P = fail. Those asking for it don't understand that in gaming nothing gets done unless it's funded, first. If the funding comes in spurts bug fixes and new content is delayed...because money doesn't just grow on trees. Free loaders that will flock to these games don't even pay for the bandwidth used. They're leeches, and frankly I resent paying for others to play for free. They need to cough up their $14.95 a month.

Lotro, D&D0n line, Star Trek On line, Age of Conan, Aion, APB, Everquest 2, CoH, PotbS, B&S, DC Universe, Hellgate London, Tabula Rasa, SWGalaxies, SW TOR, Rift  and along with a few hundred others  (space prohibits to reproduce the endless list)... went/are FREE to play or simply DIED even...

Just a grab of 16 MMORPG's that went free to play or died ... BUT were developped and had an INVESTMENT to grab subscription money and THEY ALL FAILED to grab the long term subscription money in a matter of 1 year.

F2P= less development, less structured (and assured) income, less designer planning because the revenue is uncertain.

F2P is good for Facebook games or casual iPAd games. Developped by a crew of 10 people and having the art department of one dude on a Mac and the sound made on a 500 dollar Casio system.

If anything this trend is simply a shake out of the MMORPG industry.

Don't even think these games above will be ever developped/designed like that in the coming years.

The only thing you'll get is a kind of World of Tanks gameplay. Good luck with that, jumping from one map to another, paying for every MG or canon in  a game that plays out in 10 minute sessions...

It is sad to see that trolls like S. jump these boards to discuss the Multi million dollars of WOW while at the same time he drowns himself in games that simply mean the end of long term development in MMO's.

(btw S: WOW had 275 million dollars GAAP revenue in just first quarter in 2013 and COD Elite service went free to play in 2012 (you would have known that IF following the industry) , so that's pure WOW revenue just for one quarter, no matter how you want to twist it.

1 billion yearly dollars WOW money hurts the F2P failures, that's ALSO what Blizzard indeed does better.

Resources to make great games.

Sukiyaki

Hard Core Member

7/08/13 1:28:43 PM#123
Originally posted by sportsfan.

(btw S: WOW had 275 million dollars GAAP revenue in just first quarter in 2013 and COD Elite service went free to play in 2012 (you would have known that IF following the industry) , so that's pure WOW revenue just for one quarter, no matter how you want to twist it.

1 billion yearly dollars WOW money hurts the F2P failures, that's ALSO what Blizzard indeed does better.

Resources to make great games.

Me, in the post you just quoted and edited -  "But lets not try to deceive people. Blizzard earned 228 Million NON-GAAP in the three months according to ActivisionBlizzard's own financial report. It is excluding deferred revenues. The standard that counts as much for investor as the GAAP standard. The same NON-GAAP standards you keep citing dozen of times, whenever the games launched an expansion only to switch to GAAP standards to literally glorify Blizzard twice for the same single Dollar.  [...]  that's is only including up to several million revenues from Call of Duty memberships which you again try to deceive people to believe are at zero shouting the service went F2P, which however does not mean the service makes no revenues from VAS and content package sales."

But no ActivisionBlizzard just keeps including the notification on CoD membership just for fun and the CoD memberships contributed nothing?! Not like CoD was ever any popular any ways, aint it so?!

Nice try calling me misinformed on this, after not even merely editing out significant official data about Blizzard in my post (opposed to your opinions and poor conjecture, still objectively non-essential to any of your claims about "the industry"), no, but deleting the very facts by word, you claim I would not "know" and missed out and then retort on top of the same repeated drivel with this failure of an accusation.

You are digging the credibility of you new account beyond zero now.

sportsfan

Advanced Member

7/08/13 7:18:12 PM#124

"Regulation from the governing financial bodies requires that every company reports according to GAAP principles to ensure that accurate and useful information be available to all potential users. The uniformity of the information makes comparison among industry measures easier.

It is important as a savvy investor to ensure that the information you are using for comparison follows the GAAP rules and is not the (often more publicized) non-GAAP earnings number."

GAAP revenue for WOW was 275 million dollars in the first quarter only of 2013.*

Since the COD Elite service went FREE to PLAY back in 2012, it no longer contributes to that total number for the 2013 report (it is there because 2012 was included as a reference).

You can find the regulations about GAAP revenue everywhere btw.

*: quote from the report.

Revenue from online subscriptions consists of revenue from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs,

licensing royalties, and value-added services. It also includes revenues from Call of Duty Elite memberships.

f0dell54

Novice Member

Sanity....
It's for the weak.

7/11/13 5:11:05 PM#125
Originally posted by Muke
Originally posted by Tutu2
8 years running and it still overshadows it competition significantly. Other MMOs improve certain aspects of the "WoW clone" yet what is it that makes WoW so enduring and keeps people coming back? 

Only overshadowing the competition in sub numbers and probably annual profits, content-wise and progress-wise they have been overtaken by a number of other mmos long ago.

What makes ppl come back to this game is it's addictive, and easy to get into.

Very smart design by Blizzard.

In a business what is underlined is all that matters.

observer

Elite Member

First came pride, then envy.

7/12/13 1:02:15 AM#126

For me, it's many things, but these two stand out for me.

• Camera Control, Animations, Movement:  All these feel fluid and connected and compliment each other well.
  • Races:  All of them are very interesting with character development (story wise).  Even during it's launch, there was various models instead of Human models only.
  Gravarg

Spotlight Poster

7/12/13 1:14:14 AM#127

It's been said, and I've said it myself before.  The biggest thing that keeps WoW going is that it will run on anything.  It has very good graphics if you're computer can run it, and it even have decent graphics for your $199 bargain laptop.  This allows people who aren't necessarily gamers to join the game.

Blizzard did a good job at marketing, especially with the "What's your game" commercials.  The sub numbers skyrocketed as those commercials were playing.  To this day, WoW is the only MMO you'll see advertised on primetime, non-gamer television.  When MoP came out, you saw a commercial pretty much every commercial break on a bunch of channels, and even commercials on NBC, ABC, FOX.

Blizzard also had a large playerbase to start with.  A lot of people that still play WoW, also played the previous Warcraft games.  I can remember when WoW was announced, I was like "Holy Fish Tacos Batman! A Warcraft MMO!"

Another thing is the polish,  it's due mainly to the first point above, but WoW just plays so smooth.  It's one of the smoothest games ever, if not the smoothest.  Unlike MMOs that have come after it, there's no clipping, no fps drops, almost no lag spikes.  The only thing that isn't polished is the updating, but it's always been that way.  They say servers will be up at noon, just take a vacation and show up at 7pm...that's when the servers will be up XD.

In short: It was a perfect storm of things Blizzard took advantage of.

Xerathule

Novice Member

7/12/13 1:35:25 AM#128

1. Don't forget that it was the characters in the game that made the game fun.  If your characters are stupid looking like the new asian and pokemon like characters coming out!!!! you have to be kidding me!  It was the characters that made it great, but it looks like Blizzard is going down that suicidal slope now too so it is really just over for them.  I guess trying to appeal to asians now so I guess I won't be buying games from them anymore.  

2. Titan 2016?  LOL are you kidding me?  They have been working on that since 2008!  That is 8 years of development!  I seriously don't think anybody is going to care about it for quiet some time and may grow old in their boots before it is released including me!  I hope it is going to be amazing for that amount of time!  They do their own engines in-house though and that is a HUGE plus though.

3. PVP performed very well and was very precise in its mechanics when fighting somebody that made it very enjoyable because it wasn't a piece of crap when interacting with other players on the map.

4. It takes a certain kind of team of game designers and developers with certain personalities and that appeal to the culture  (better be American culture or i'm out) of the current time that it is being made to make what Blizzard made in 2003, but i wonder where they are these days.  Is Titan going to be that good?  I wonder...

There is plenty of opportunity for somebody else to take the title back like EQN, but we will see if they can even pull that off.  They did okay with Planetside 2 and they have some income now to provide EQN development, but still it remains to be seen how it is done.  The engine is doing pretty good so I would say they have their own engine room smoothly for PVP already with Planetside 2.  

Rydeson

Elite Member

7/12/13 5:42:17 AM#129
     I preferred the fantasy graphics, different from the realistic graphics that EQ2 tried to go with..  Blizzard did a lot right in the beginning, BUT as time went on, did a lot wrong as well..  To the point that I left years ago and never looked back..  WoW exposed just how terrible dungeon instancing became with a veteran customer base.. It was very anti social and exclusive.. I still miss the potential WoW could have if they would just make the needed changes I desire.. However, I don't see that happening because Im in the minority and Blizzard refuses to dedicate a server for players like me :)  Oh well..
  ste2000

Apprentice Member

7/12/13 6:10:38 AM#130

1 Light Engine (everyone can run it)

2 The Lore (the Warcraft World is just awesome)

3 Funny Characters ( They move awkwardly, they talk funny, they are just so loveable)

4 Oversized shoulderpads (WoW trademark, they make a statement on every character, the bigger the more powerful)

5 Intuitive UI, even a kid can learn without a tutorial 

6 Add Ons (make WoW one of the most customizable games on the market)

WoW clones miss more than one of those features, most important IMO is the Lore and, believe it or not, the funny/likeable characters which make WoW unique.

intrinsc

Apprentice Member

Trust, but verify.

7/12/13 6:13:42 AM#131

1. Raiding is amazing in WoW.

2.  The Addons kick ass in wow.

3. A lot of people play it and, yes, there are nice people.

4. The game engine is silky smooth and has aged gracefully.

5. For a game with a ton of classes it is incredibly balanced.

7 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Search