Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,479 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,240,470
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » How to avoid MOP silliness?

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
55 posts found
  strangiato2112

Spotlight Poster

5/13/13 12:57:31 PM#21
When you mature a little bit you will realize that MoP isnt any more or less 'silly' than the rest of WoW.
  ghostfaeries

Novice Member

5/15/13 12:07:19 PM#22

Why are you coming back to WoW in the first place? There's quite a bit of silliness in the game no matter what. I avoided A LOT of questing on my second character and basically dungeon and battleground grind to 90. You will pay for it in the long run when you need to do a quest chain to unlock dailies, unless you don't plan to do them.

Yaevindusk

Elite Member

Logic, reason and fact do not supersede human nature. Ignorance reigns without justice.

5/15/13 1:19:14 PM#23
Originally posted by Ghavrigg

After maybe half of the first zone, the MoP "silliness" dies down quite a bit and goes full badass.

But personally, I never really found any of it all that silly. It was just fun. I'd say, if you want to avoid it, then you don't really want to play and are forcing it, so you might as well quit.

This.  You start to see the real blood lust and horror of war after you completely beat the first zone.  It basically just teaches you the ways of Pandaria in the first zone, and the troubles they had before you even came there.  Then it introduces things that are borderline war crimes and quite a bit of bloodshed and tragedy.

It's probably the only expansion that has really put the "war" into warcraft between the two factions.  Though it's nothing something you'll really see in whole until you completely beat each area and take on the new content the patches brought.  The entire expansion pretty much just focuses on this War between the Alliance and Horde and how it splits a continent and culture asunder in their lust for bloodshed.  Even one of the faction leaders is the end boss of the expansion, to end the war and the madness.

When faced with strife or discontent, the true nature of a man is brought forth. It is then when we see the character of the individual. It is then we are able to tell if he is mature enough to grin and bare it, or subject his fellow man to his complaints and woes.

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

5/15/13 1:23:34 PM#24

Is it me or has nobody answered the op's question?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Panther2103

Hard Core Member

5/15/13 1:26:57 PM#25
Originally posted by Praetalus
Originally posted by JRRNeiklot
Originally posted by dreamscaper
Originally posted by Siphaed

P.P.S.  I played WoW through Cataclysm, ...it's just couldn't stand the early 2000's graphics combined with the oncoming joke that was Pandas.  Also, the Worgen race's starting area wasn't that fleshed out and become a complete waste of space after the very short period within it (never did the Goblin, was always Alliance).

It drives me batty how people bash on the pandas.  At what point are people finally going to realize:

1.) Pandaren are a staple race that made their appearance back in Warcraft III.

2.) They are in no way based on Kung-Fu Panda, as they pre-date it by almost a decade.

3.) They're no worse than the giant talking cows we have in the Horde or the blue space goats on the Alliance side.

1.) Pandaren was an April Fool's joke, never meant to be a real race.

2.) Just because Blizzard's April Fool's joke predates the movie doesn't precluide them jumping on the Kung Fu Panda bandwagon. 

3.) It's not the panda themselves that bother me - I never even mentioned the pandas in my op. 

I'm so sick of hearing about this April fool's stuff. The race was created by an Artist and yes, was announced as part of an April fool's joke. The response from the players was so overwhelming, the race was added to the game. So... The players wanted the race to become part of the game and it did. You do know that all of the races in Warcraft are fake correct? All of the races have some joke elements as part of who they are. Where the race originated shouldn't really come into play. 

If you want to play wow and have limited exposure to the Pandaren and the content, just don't play the new area. Honestly, I'm not currently playing, but I have played through a lot of the MoP content and I didn't find it any more silly then WoW already is. Perhaps WoW just isn't for you. I'm currently playing TOR and having a blast, though, I'll always have a place in my heart for WoW. 

But it was a race in the Warcraft universe before that april fools joke that's what people aren't getting.

Tyvolus4

Apprentice Member

5/15/13 7:33:43 PM#26
Originally posted by Panther2103
Originally posted by Praetalus

P.P.S.  I played WoW through Cataclysm, ...it's just couldn't stand the early 2000's graphics combined with the oncoming joke that was Pandas.  Also, the Worgen race's starting area wasn't that fleshed out and become a complete waste of space after the very short period within it (never did the Goblin, was always Alliance).

It drives me batty how people bash on the pandas.  At what point are people finally going to realize:

2.) They are in no way based on Kung-Fu Panda, as they pre-date it by almost a decade.

3.) They're no worse than the giant talking cows we have in the Horde or the blue space goats on the Alliance side.

1.) Pandaren was an April Fool's joke, never meant to be a real race.

2.) Just because Blizzard's April Fool's joke predates the movie doesn't precluide them jumping on the Kung Fu Panda bandwagon. 

3.) It's not the panda themselves that bother me - I never even mentioned the pandas in my op. 

I'm so sick of hearing about this April fool's stuff. The race was created by an Artist and yes, was announced as part of an April fool's joke. The response from the players was so overwhelming, the race was added to the game. So... The players wanted the race to become part of the game and it did. You do know that all of the races in Warcraft are fake correct? All of the races have some joke elements as part of who they are. Where the race originated shouldn't really come into play. 

If you want to play wow and have limited exposure to the Pandaren and the content, just don't play the new area. Honestly, I'm not currently playing, but I have played through a lot of the MoP content and I didn't find it any more silly then WoW already is. Perhaps WoW just isn't for you. I'm currently playing TOR and having a blast, though, I'll always have a place in my heart for WoW. 

But it was a race in the Warcraft universe before that april fools joke that's what people aren't getting.

it was a single, merc hero added to a tavern as a patch to WCIII.  It was a minor, tiny piece of lore, if that.  A dev admitted it was a joke, thunk up over some drinks at a bar.  some of us are far too familiar how this silly little merc hero turned into a full-on expac to wow.

Azaqin

Novice Member

5/15/13 8:12:44 PM#27

OK, I feel like weighing in here.

Yes, the Pandas are a canon race. The fact that they were originally conceived as a joke doesn't change that. Yes, they did debut in Warcraft III. That's why they are canon. Yes, they do pre-date the movie "Kung Fu Panda." That doesn't change the fact that the graphics in the game for them are heavily influenced by the look of the film, nor does it change the fact that people ARE going to compare them to the film regardless of which came first. (Remember when Warhammer Online came out and was massively criticized for "ripping off" the look of WoW, even though WHOL got its design from the miniatures game that predates WoW by a hell of a long time, meaning it was WoW that was ripping off Warhammer? It didn't matter which came first then, either.) Yes, they are silly. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't like them.

I quit WoW when MoP came out. Not because WoW was or is a bad game, but because it became clear to me that the direction the designers were taking the game in was not a direction that interested me. I had a hell of a lot of fun playing WoW. Leveled 5 or 6 toons all the way up and enjoyed every minute of it. WoW was a great game. And guess what? It's STILL a great game. it's just a great game I don't have an interest in playing anymore. There are a lot of great games I have no interest in. And that's fine, really.

The problem is that almost no one knows the difference between being a critic and just being critical. Someone who is critical reasons this way: "I do not like it, therefore it is a bad game," or "I like it, therefore it is a good game." (Or movie, or book, or whatever.) A critic, on the other hand, is willing to reason like this when the occasion warrants it: "I do not like it, but it is a very well done game," or "I like it, but it kind of sucks, really." Take me, for example. I love zombie movies, despite the fact that 90% of them are, let's face it, pure crap. I love 'em anyway. Somehow, the worse they are, the better I love the stupid things. Meanwhile I was bored to tears by "Citizen Kane," which is a truly great film.

Value in entertainment is entirely subjective. One person can say that they absolutely hate MoP. The next can say that they love MoP. They're both right. To the first person, it's a terrible game; to the second, a great one. Play the ones you think are great, decline to play the ones you think are crap, and be happy for someone who has found a game they love, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. By all means, critique the game, but accept that others may be willing to overlook the things that drive you nuts. Everyone has a deal-breaker in their game selection. For some it's outdated graphics. For others it's poor storyline or a lack of lore. For still others it's poorly done PvP, the lack of brackets or arenas, or what they see as "silliness."

It's all good in the end. I think MoP is too silly to play, but I would never think to criticize someone else who does not share my opinion or try to convince someone else they shouldn't like it. 

Tyvolus4

Apprentice Member

5/16/13 7:57:50 PM#28
Originally posted by Azaqin

Yes, the Pandas are a canon race. The fact that they were originally conceived as a joke doesn't change that. Yes, they did debut in Warcraft III. That's why they are canon. Yes, they do pre-date the movie "Kung Fu Panda." That doesn't change the fact that the graphics in the game for them are heavily influenced by the look of the film, nor does it change the fact that people ARE going to compare them to the film regardless of which came first. (Remember when Warhammer Online came out and was massively criticized for "ripping off" the look of WoW, even though WHOL got its design from the miniatures game that predates WoW by a hell of a long time, meaning it was WoW that was ripping off Warhammer? It didn't matter which came first then, either.) Yes, they are silly. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't like them.

I quit WoW when MoP came out. Not because WoW was or is a bad game, but because it became clear to me that the direction the designers were taking the game in was not a direction that interested me. I had a hell of a lot of fun playing WoW. Leveled 5 or 6 toons all the way up and enjoyed every minute of it. WoW was a great game. And guess what? It's STILL a great game. it's just a great game I don't have an interest in playing anymore. There are a lot of great games I have no interest in. And that's fine, really.

The problem is that almost no one knows the difference between being a critic and just being critical. Someone who is critical reasons this way: "I do not like it, therefore it is a bad game," or "I like it, therefore it is a good game." (Or movie, or book, or whatever.) A critic, on the other hand, is willing to reason like this when the occasion warrants it: "I do not like it, but it is a very well done game," or "I like it, but it kind of sucks, really." Take me, for example. I love zombie movies, despite the fact that 90% of them are, let's face it, pure crap. I love 'em anyway. Somehow, the worse they are, the better I love the stupid things. Meanwhile I was bored to tears by "Citizen Kane," which is a truly great film.

Value in entertainment is entirely subjective. One person can say that they absolutely hate MoP. The next can say that they love MoP. They're both right. To the first person, it's a terrible game; to the second, a great one. Play the ones you think are great, decline to play the ones you think are crap, and be happy for someone who has found a game they love, regardless of whether or not you agree with them. By all means, critique the game, but accept that others may be willing to overlook the things that drive you nuts. Everyone has a deal-breaker in their game selection. For some it's outdated graphics. For others it's poor storyline or a lack of lore. For still others it's poorly done PvP, the lack of brackets or arenas, or what they see as "silliness."

It's all good in the end. I think MoP is too silly to play, but I would never think to criticize someone else who does not share my opinion or try to convince someone else they shouldn't like it. 

back in 1996 I absolutely loved the dark, violent warcraft games.  Paladins versus death knights, great stuff.  Blizz went in a new direction with warcraft, it favors families and kids, as well as targeting the Asian market with this latest expansion.  Im not here to convince anyone of anything.  But, one thing is certain, Pandas in the warcraft universe started off as joke, they further cemented it as a joke years later on april fools day, and to me turning this joke into a full-on expansion means warcraft (and blizzard as a company) just aint for me.  But for the audience blizz targeted for this, enjoy....I aint here to steal anyones sunshine, but I am sure as heck entitiled to my opinions on what blizz has become and what they turned the warcraft universe into...a bad joke.  -- unfortunately, Im not amused, and Blizzard wont be seeing any of my $$$.

Also, my interest in warcraft was primarily of the RTS games (I started back in 1996), I enjoyed a few months in vanilla wow, when you could open world pvp, but I didn't even last in wow for a full year, and gave up on blizz well before panda bears and little children took over the warcraft universe...and again, I cant be more sincere to those who like the game, enjoy and have fun.  Blizzard just got all cartoony, and I just got too old.

C_Glass

Novice Member

5/16/13 8:08:59 PM#29

Whole game is silly. If you haven't noticed its filled with a crapton of joke/parody quests, questing in silithus? Indiana jones parodies off the waazo, questing in the burning steppes? Rambo parodies ahoy. 

Murlocs, gnomes, goblins, all silly. 

It's just a game, games are going to have silly elemnts to them it's okay but as another person had said play them as games, and as long as the core components are engaging, it's ok! 

Slampig

Hard Core Member

Whatever you do, do NOT speak ill of Asheron's Call 2...

5/16/13 8:10:31 PM#30

No, no, no , no. The cows and goats are totally serious.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Razperil

Novice Member

Everything has it's time and its place, know yours?

5/16/13 8:20:29 PM#31
Originally posted by Tyvolus4

back in 1996 I absolutely loved the dark, violent warcraft games.  Paladins versus death knights, great stuff.  Blizz went in a new direction with warcraft, it favors families and kids, as well as targeting the Asian market with this latest expansion.  Im not here to convince anyone of anything.  But, one thing is certain, Pandas in the warcraft universe started off as joke, they further cemented it as a joke years later on april fools day, and to me turning this joke into a full-on expansion means warcraft (and blizzard as a company) just aint for me.  But for the audience blizz targeted for this, enjoy....I aint here to steal anyones sunshine, but I am sure as heck entitiled to my opinions on what blizz has become and what they turned the warcraft universe into...a bad joke.  -- unfortunately, Im not amused, and Blizzard wont be seeing any of my $$$.

Also, my interest in warcraft was primarily of the RTS games (I started back in 1996), I enjoyed a few months in vanilla wow, when you could open world pvp, but I didn't even last in wow for a full year, and gave up on blizz well before panda bears and little children took over the warcraft universe...and again, I cant be more sincere to those who like the game, enjoy and have fun.  Blizzard just got all cartoony, and I just got too old.

Hah, it targeted the Asian market and in return has lost subs from them? That is such a great factor to put in :)

Razperil

Novice Member

Everything has it's time and its place, know yours?

5/16/13 8:24:57 PM#32
Originally posted by Nitth

Is it me or has nobody answered the op's question?

The kids are still trying to convince people that the game is the best ever.. I know, it will never be apparent to them. The OP knows that answer and I'm sure will take whatever  measures to make that gaming  aspect enjoyable.

Homitu

Hard Core Member

5/16/13 10:42:00 PM#33
Okay, so the banana/poop flinging/dancing monkey crap annoys the hell out of me.  I haven't played WOW since Xmas, thinking of coming back because I'm bored.  Is there any way to avoid at least a good portion of the silly shit in MOP?   A list of silly zones and instances/quests to avoid would be a good start.  Or am I wishing for too much?

If you're looking for a slightly less silly, yet super fun MMO, I'd suggest going to Guild Wars 2 instead of WoW.  Best feature: No Pandas.  The only "silly shit" that the game has had was the Super Adventure Box that ran through April and has ended.  Otherwise the game mostly takes itself serious in story progression, the war-like WvWvW, and sPvP.

I honestly think WoW and GW2 have nearly the exact same *tone*.  They're both full of eccentric characters with exaggerated personalities who go on ridiculous adventures.  They also have plenty of hardass serious characters (which itself tends to be an exaggerated personality trait) who encounter dire threats and cope with some serious themes.  The beauty of these games is their blend of humor and drama, adventure and emotion.  

And seriously, @OP, as others have said, the concept behind MOP isn't any more silly than any iteration of WoW that came before it.    That light-hearted tone was always present all around you.

jesteralways

Elite Member

5/16/13 10:47:03 PM#34
I can handle a bit of silly, but MOP is drowning in it.  Maybe I'm a lost cause.

Blizzard turned an April Fools Day Joke into an expansion.  MOP along with its creator Blizzard is the lost cause.  trust me it isn't you.

April Fool joke? when admiral proudmoore attacked newly founded durotar it was april fool joke? when admiral proudmoore tried to imprison his own dauhter jaina it was april fool joke? when rexxar and chen stormstout killed admiral proudmoore it was april fool joke? pandaren have been a part of warcraft lore since frozen throne and many of us were asking for them to be in game, the only reason blizzard did not introduce them in WoW was because chinese govt. threatened to shut down blizzard in china. learn about warcraft lore before you talk about it.

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

jesteralways

Elite Member

5/16/13 10:51:05 PM#35

THIS. although, kung fu panda came out in 2008 and pandaren came to frozen throne in 2003, that's 5 years not a decade. when i 1st saw king fu panda i thought  : "sons of bitches stole blizzard's idea".

i want an open world, no phasing, no instancing.i want meaningful owpvp.i want player driven economy.i want meaningful crafting.i want awesome exploration, a sense of thrill.i want ow housing with a meaningful effect on my entire gameplay experience, not just some instanced crap.i want all of these free of cost, i don't wanna pay you a cent, game devs can eat grass and continue developing game for me.
Seems like that is the current consensus of western mmo players.

winter

Advanced Member

5/16/13 10:55:32 PM#36
I can handle a bit of silly, but MOP is drowning in it.  Maybe I'm a lost cause.

Blizzard turned an April Fools Day Joke into an expansion.  MOP along with its creator Blizzard is the lost cause.  trust me it isn't you.

Think Blizzard was going for the younger crowd whose parents have money and don't mind having the computer being the babysitter with the MOP expansion. I don't mind some silly. Did watch and enjoy kungfu panda with my 7 y/o son, but as far as wanting it for my gaming experience as a adult, no thanks I'll pass. (the difference being 2-3 hours of sillyness during a movie can be fun. Paying a subscriptions for months after months of the same sillyness... well just not my cuyp of tea. YMMV)

Azaqin

Novice Member

5/20/13 7:18:54 PM#37
Originally posted by Razperil

Hah, it targeted the Asian market and in return has lost subs from them? That is such a great factor to put in :)

Accidental racism will have that effect.....

Tyvolus4

Apprentice Member

5/25/13 12:12:29 AM#38

are you suggesting a company can not market a product to a particular market and fail in its goals ?  I certainly hope you are not so ignorant. 

Tyvolus4

Apprentice Member

5/25/13 12:14:08 AM#39

Accidental racism will have that effect.....

actually there is nothing "accidental" or "racist" at all about marketing products to a certain demographic.  Ever take a look at the menu offerings for a McDonalds in Japan ?  you should do so sometime, maybe then you wont come across as so simple in your assumptions.

WhiteLantern

Novice Member

5/25/13 12:29:55 AM#40
Originally posted by Slampig

No, no, no , no. The cows and goats are totally serious.

I like the space-goats and strive to be like them someday.  Nature-worshipping-cows, on the other hand, are downright silly.

But at least the males don't have udders like the ones in Barnyard.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search