Trending Games | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Black Gold | Trove

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,098 Users Online:0
Games:720  Posts:6,187,979
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » Why do MMOs are so unresponsive and lack any kind of smoothness to them?

4 posts found
  fivoroth

Spotlight Poster

OP  4/20/13 2:46:30 PM#1

I found it bewildering how unresponsive and horrible the animations are in the vast majority of MMOs. WoW did this perfectly. Animations in combat  are very smooth, responsive and you can really feel the impact of your abilities/spells. You can really feel the sword/spell connect with the enemy.  I have played pretty much all major MMOs out there and they are all horrible compared to WoW. It makes their combat is boooooring. Games like EQ2 are so bad in this regard, it's not even funny. I loved so many things about EQ2 but the engine was so horrible that it made me want to scream.

Why is it so hard for MMO developers to get this right? It can be such a deal breaker. Is there an MMO which has the same level of combat responsiveness as WoW? Did I miss something or are all MMOs terrible when it comes to their combat animations. AoC was bad. Rift was horrendous and stiff. SWTOR was very bad. GW2 was okayish. Tera is meh too. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

User Deleted
4/21/13 6:08:44 AM#2

Lazy developers and highschool level animators, basically.

I found Age of Conan's animations, at least melee - to feel nice, and strangely enough I enjoyed The Secret World very much for about a week. But none are as smooth as WOW's despite high FPS or what have you due to the animation quality.

I think they start out with high frame animation then strip it down for "performance" issues which leaves everything going to shit, like cutting frames out of a GIF or a movie.

Worrynot

Advanced Member

4/21/13 11:42:25 AM#3
I don't have any input on this, but this reminds me a little of the discussion that went on over here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1165115-Why-is-character-control-in-WoW-superior-to-other-MMO-s
  BrownAle

Apprentice Member

4/23/13 12:06:46 AM#4

highly optimized 24 bit game engine that uses way less resources than the standard 32 bit.  Your trade off is those goofy and dated looking character modles.  Benefit is supurb gameplay.

Ask all those uber clunky state of the art graphics games with all the shineys how they are doing, ask their developers if they wouldnt give a limb to be on the blizzard wow development team.

Im not a fan of this game, its just not for me, but im not a derp who cant see what makes this game good.

Theres a genious over at blizzard who knew that mechanics and gameplay were more important than blur,godrays, and multi letter AA technologies.

Its actually so comical to me.  The reason people laugh at this game is the reason it plays so well and the reason (imo) its stayed on top so long.  When i gave this game a solid "go" all those years ago it was the thing that struck me first as really good...gameplay, animation accuracy, movement.  Gameplay mechanics were stand out good.

Now if these guys could just get this all into a deep and complex sandbox with full loot...i would gladly join the ranks of a raging mouthbreather blizzard fan.

Well..actually...im one of the few who liked and still like D3 so i guess im halfway there.