Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | World of Warcraft | WildStar | Albion Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,737,196 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,607
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » IP's that could dethrone WoW...

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search
71 posts found
  krondin

Advanced Member

2/11/13 12:51:03 PM#41

The Unknown IP ,

coming out of nowhere ,

probly with not alot of hype at first.

Then BAM,

tons of players making it a great game. 

When the market is saturated with enough disgruntled players of todays games, the timing will be ripe for a decent MMO to pop up and grab attention of just enough people to spread the word and then it will be a giant game! The next Big MMO.

It could be from some already know IP or one in the making we are all mostly unaware of as of yet.

Gaia_Hunter

Elite Member

2/12/13 7:00:31 AM#42

No other sub game will ever achieve close to WoW numbers.

No sub MMORPG will make a dent on WoW.

WoW is on a decline that will continue.

New games might not be enough to make massive dents on existing WoW population but WoW isn't good enough to warrant a $15 sub over other games for new players, so it will decline as players get tired of WoW and the money already invested isn't enough to warrant more money invested.

Currently playing: GW2
Cooperative (semi cooperative)board games you should check: Pandemic, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Eldritch Horror, Descent 2.0,Level 7 Omega Protocol, Last Night on Earth

Teilo

Novice Member

2/12/13 7:05:29 AM#43

If Star Wars couldn't do it - with two attempts - I don't think any exisitng IP will do it.

WoW will die eventually I'm sure; but I'm starting to think it will outlive me and any possible future grandchildren!

TheHavok

Advanced Member

"Free crack and everybody gets laid."

2/15/13 2:20:47 AM#44

I think the more relevant question would be, which game developer can overthrow Blizzard?  After all, its the gameplay that makes the game a long term success, not necessarily the IP.

User Deleted
2/15/13 11:41:02 PM#45

Originally posted by TheHavok
I think the more relevant question would be, which game developer can overthrow Blizzard?  After all, its the gameplay that makes the game a long term success, not necessarily the IP.

Only thing that makes WoW worth a shit now is accessibility.

They were groundbreaking in the early days (innovation, brand-name recognition, IP and perfect timing), now after years of being on top they no longer care about the NA/EU markets, at all.

Hell these days EQ2 is 10x the game WoW is, but has an abysmal population and an engine so bad it ruins everything.

Zorgo

Hard Core Member

Who did wrong? The advertiser hired to sell the game or the consumer who put faith in advertising?

2/15/13 11:48:31 PM#46
Originally posted by Loke666

Almost any IP with a good enough game could. Do you really care that much if you adventure in Azeroth, middle earth, Fearun, the old world or whatever?

World of warcrafts strenght was never the IP, it is at best average. The Blizzard mark on the game is more important than the IP...

Wow is ageing and have been loosing players a long time, someone will dethrone it pretty soon and it is not really the IP that is most important there.

The new game needs to be well made, fun to play (for the average gamer) and easy enough so anyone can play it.

I think you are spot on except for those two words. At 9.5+ million, even if they lost 1 million subscribers a year, they still have 7 or 8 years on top.

Unless the norm for mmo subs sky rockets or blizzard does something so aggregious that they lose multiple millions per year, or another game is released in that time which mirrors or eclipses WoW's success......or some combination.

All in all, looking at the numbers, the safe money is they still have a long time on top even bleeding subscribers.

Lugors

Advanced Member

2/19/13 6:33:23 PM#47

The IP has no baring on the long term success of a game.  Using the most successful IP in the buisness, EA could not keep 500k people paying for SWTOR. 

The only way to knock off WoW is to do to WoW what WoW did to the orginal EverQuest.  By that I mean improve the formula in every way imaginable, and continually tweak and improve the game over its lifecycle. 

craftseeker

Advanced Member

2/19/13 6:36:15 PM#48
Originally posted by Lugors

The IP has no baring on the long term success of a game.  Using the most successful IP in the buisness, EA could not keep 500k people paying for SWTOR. 

The only way to knock off WoW is to do to WoW what WoW did to the orginal EverQuest.  By that I mean improve the formula in every way imaginable, and continually tweak and improve the game over its lifecycle. 

Actually what WoW did was bring in most of its player base from outside of the MMORPG genre.  This may be the only way of producing another WoW. 

User Deleted
2/19/13 6:45:40 PM#49
Originally posted by waynejr2
Originally posted by Fendel84M
I'd honestly say GW2 has a good chance at growing to WoW like numbers. It seems to be the only MMO since WoW thats actually gaining momentum since launch, rather than losing it.

Active players or total boxes sold?  I haven't played in months but I bet they would still count me.  Don't expect me to return either.

I might return and check it out if they release a proper native OSX client, instead of that crap cider port they cludged together with their money-grubbing little fingers just for a few extra bucks from the Apple crowd.

StoneRoses

Novice Member

2/19/13 7:24:01 PM#50
WoW is like the Starbucks of MMO's! Love it or hate it, it's working for Blizzard.

sportsfan

Apprentice Member

2/20/13 4:52:59 PM#51
Originally posted by Loke666

Almost any IP with a good enough game could. Do you really care that much if you adventure in Azeroth, middle earth, Fearun, the old world or whatever?

World of warcrafts strenght was never the IP, it is at best average. The Blizzard mark on the game is more important than the IP...

Wow is ageing and have been loosing players a long time, someone will dethrone it pretty soon and it is not really the IP that is most important there.

The new game needs to be well made, fun to play (for the average gamer) and easy enough so anyone can play it.

Always nice one can click on the history button. Here is the 6 year old link of this "future teller"..... in 2007

"Wow will lose players to those games because right now there isn't much competion. Blizzard will be forced to restructure the game a lot and add more content. They will also have to buff up the graphic a lot. If Blizzard spend some of the kazillion money they gotten they can still be the leading game in a few years but eventually every great game declines.

My guess would be a million players by 2010 unless they make a really big change and then 100K by 2015"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userPosts/724170/page/1501

Talking about a GW2 viral marketer getting owned by his own claims ...

Of course nobody could know in 2007 WOW would have 9.6 million subs in 2013. The big sruprise though is that all the rest went free to play ... and hasn't got subs anymore...

Dethrone in what ? Meaningless forum posts ?

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

2/20/13 5:09:07 PM#52

The only threat to WoW is Blizzard (and/or Ghostcrawler...^^).  How many countless times has some "WoW killer" been hyped to the skies over the last eight plus years, only to fall so very FAR short?  WoW is fading, but it still has years and years to go.

WoW isn't nearly the game it once was, but its still a good game all the way to level cap.  But it "only" has 9 million players... Do you have ANY idea how many game companies would *kill* to have even half of that? Let alone the BILLIONS of dollars that WoW has made Blizzard over the years?

Besides, its not just a question of IP. Thats just one element of a very complex package.  Look at how badly Bioware messed up one of the most famous IP's in the world (Star Wars The Old Republic). Or even worse, what Cryptic did with Star Trek.

What I'm waiting to see is Titan.  While I'm not expecting it, if it explodes anything like WoW did, then WoW wasn't just a fluke. If thats the case, then Blizzard is going to be around for a long, LONG time.

L0C0Man

Advanced Member

2/20/13 5:18:50 PM#53

I don't think IP is a very relevant factor when it comes to MMOs. It might affect how many people you get at first, but only quality will dictate whether they stay or leave, and I'd say that a game that starts small and slowly grows has a much bigger chance than one that starts big and shrinks.

Just look at SWTOR, for example. Going by IP alone it would have been a much stronger contender, the warcraft IP is minuscule when compared to the star wars one. LotR also has a much bigger one. Heck, I'd go as far as saying that Conan has a bigger IP (outside of the MMO audience, at least).

I'd even say that using a well known IP can be a hindrance more than a help. It limits what you can do and part of the budget needs to go to paying for it, and can be taken away anytime (look at star wars galaxies, for example). Personally I say that if a new game comes out that dethrones WoW (which I don't see as something that will happen overnight either, but through years), it'll be either an original or a lesser known IP, or most likely an existing one from the same company. Heck, even WoW when it came out it was a lesser known IP in the MMO world (which was much smaller back then), plus it was Blizzard's original IP so getting it didn't put a dent on the budget in the first place

Going for the ones that the OP mentioned, though. Mario I don't really see working as an MMO. The games are very different enough from each other that creating an actual consistent world isn't an easy task. When it comes to nintendo, I'd see Pokemon, Zelda or maybe even Metroid as better fit to be translated into MMOs.

Harry Potter is one game I could see maybe working as an MMO, maybe something like a more sanitized version of TSW, people with magical powers in a present day setting. However, the budget would need to be huge just to pay for the license, which makes it harder to become profitable.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Ozivois

Novice Member

2/20/13 5:26:17 PM#54

Still beating myself up for missing the WOW boat when it first came out... what the heck was I playing at the time? oh well...

IP to beat WoW would be: World of Starcraft!

Purutzil

Elite Member

The Critical Hit Pretzel!

2/20/13 5:29:59 PM#55

World of Warcraft

Yeah, they are dethroning themselves. That and if you want to consider "Time" or "Over-saturations of MMos available" as an IP then those would also be directly connected as well.

User Deleted
2/20/13 5:32:57 PM#56

So long as WoW continues to keep it's foreign subscribers it's American pressence isn't going anywhere because they'll continue to make it seem that the number of subs they have are all 100% American despite the truth.

It's okay tho, eventually it will die and maybe just maybe companies will not try to emulate them anymore.

Isawa

Apprentice Member

2/20/13 5:35:40 PM#57
Originally posted by Ozivois

Still beating myself up for missing the WOW boat when it first came out... what the heck was I playing at the time? oh well...

IP to beat WoW would be: World of Starcraft!

Heh, it would be Universe or something. Most likely Blizzard's next game is the one to claim it.

Deto123

Apprentice Member

2/20/13 5:37:34 PM#58
Originally posted by Pivotelite
I'd honestly say GW2 has a good chance at growing to WoW like numbers. It seems to be the only MMO since WoW thats actually gaining momentum since launch, rather than losing it.

It's definitely not gaining momentum. But it's not dying rapidly like most new MMOs either.

and I'd disagree that its not gaining momentum.

You are kidding right? Never ques on servers, WvW is fairly empty, and guilds are dissolving left and right. Compared to launch, it s definately not growing.

User Deleted
2/20/13 5:44:39 PM#59

It's funny how people still think that the Warcraft IP was what made WoW so great.  It was the gameplay and game design, nothing more.  Warcraft lore has always been very bland and cliche, if not at least serviceable.  Popular IP's come with a built-in fan base, but they do nothing to predict how good the game will be.  Lord of the Rings and Star Wars (both MMO's) basically failed as a result of poor gameplay.

IP can still be important though, even if it doesn't have to be an existing one.  Rift largely fails for being so generic, in both gameplay and lore.  The characters and settings are forgetable, and the gameplay is nearly identical to WoW, so the only real advantage it has is better graphics.

cybertrucker

Spotlight Poster

Freeloading mooches are the scourge of the gaming community.

2/20/13 5:47:53 PM#60
an IP is not going to dethrone WOW..because over half of their registered users are from Asia and registered once and will be counted forever, even if they never play again and half of those are gold sellers.
4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 » Search