Trending Games | ArcheAge | Swordsman | World of Warcraft | Destiny

  Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,774,787 Users Online:0
Games:721  Posts:6,189,099
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » After 6 years of WoW I finialy left the game for good.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
53 posts found
  Inktomi

Highlighted Blogger

Joined: 3/25/09
Posts: 664

Give me sparkly, twinkly...

2/04/13 10:21:57 PM#41

/sigh

There will always be a part of my that loves WoW, yet I cannot play it any longer. I played in vanilla right up until the release of TBC then quit. I was probably quitting at the absolute worst time, that was when WoW was at its peak. But I ended up returning years later post TBC and WoTLK after Cata was released. Blizzard sent me a free 10 days, worst move ever. I quickly got sucked into my old server Dethecus and powered my Tauren Hunter up to 80.

I was a career hunter, no alts, just played him and had a priest I was leveling on the side. Every time I was relaxing on my priest, someone from my guild was like, "Yo, get on your hunter and ____" whatever we were rolling into.

I have to admit, all the new pets and mount they added to the game were cool and fun to tame and parade around with. But I felt as if I was flying last years flag. What was fresh and new to me was run-o-the-mill for most others. WoW is a surprisingly social game, so I picked up a good raiding guild very quickly. 

I did enjoy soloing most dungeons that it took a full raid to complete. I could just imagine the effort it took to kill most bosses that I was soloing with a turtle. My guild still could not understand my excitement when I picked up Chromaggus as a pet and named him Barney. It is different seeing things through the eyes of a vanilla player. 

Yet, the grind and the neverending gear on a stick chase wears me down after awhile. I cannot sacrifice real life for virtual stuff I really don't own anymore. Once again, I unceremoniously quit WoW and uninstalled the game. Looking back, I am yet to find another game like WoW that could suck me in that quickly.

My moneys on TESO. If that doesn't do it for me, I am going to hang up my spurs forever. Good luck in your gaming future OP.

  User Deleted
 
OP  2/05/13 9:59:02 AM#42
Originally posted by Inktomi

/sigh

There will always be a part of my that loves WoW, yet I cannot play it any longer. I played in vanilla right up until the release of TBC then quit. I was probably quitting at the absolute worst time, that was when WoW was at its peak. But I ended up returning years later post TBC and WoTLK after Cata was released. Blizzard sent me a free 10 days, worst move ever. I quickly got sucked into my old server Dethecus and powered my Tauren Hunter up to 80.

I was a career hunter, no alts, just played him and had a priest I was leveling on the side. Every time I was relaxing on my priest, someone from my guild was like, "Yo, get on your hunter and ____" whatever we were rolling into.

I have to admit, all the new pets and mount they added to the game were cool and fun to tame and parade around with. But I felt as if I was flying last years flag. What was fresh and new to me was run-o-the-mill for most others. WoW is a surprisingly social game, so I picked up a good raiding guild very quickly. 

I did enjoy soloing most dungeons that it took a full raid to complete. I could just imagine the effort it took to kill most bosses that I was soloing with a turtle. My guild still could not understand my excitement when I picked up Chromaggus as a pet and named him Barney. It is different seeing things through the eyes of a vanilla player. 

Yet, the grind and the neverending gear on a stick chase wears me down after awhile. I cannot sacrifice real life for virtual stuff I really don't own anymore. Once again, I unceremoniously quit WoW and uninstalled the game. Looking back, I am yet to find another game like WoW that could suck me in that quickly.

My moneys on TESO. If that doesn't do it for me, I am going to hang up my spurs forever. Good luck in your gaming future OP.

Thanks for your story on why you left WoW I agree the grind fest is the main reason why I will not go back. RL is more importent then WoW or whatever game anyone is playing. I read the post were the guy what the guy lost his G/F and job I can relate to the G/F part and many time I took off work just to play. So all who might say that I am or we are trying to make a sob story just to bash WoW apeantly they never will know what it is like to find a close net comumity of VR friends to achieve the imposible odds threw real rading back in BC days. Aperently these ppl who say that we are trying to bash the game prob never played vanilla.

Anyways thanks again for your post and good luck to you also. I will have to try TESO myself.

  Razperil

Novice Member

Joined: 9/13/04
Posts: 307

Everything has it's time and its place, know yours?

2/05/13 10:09:39 AM#43
Originally posted by bcbully

Something happened between wotlk and cata. Where BC felt like a new gae, wotlk felt like a new game, cata felt like the same old thing but less. Pandas felt better, but still too much of the same. They keep adding dungeons and battle grounds, but the systems either stayed the same or got trimmed. I think they are playing it way too safe. 

 

Is it possible for a game to be too polished, too streamlined? I keep going back to a quote from a gguy where he said "one guys frustration, is another guys game." 

 

WoW is still better than anything released in 2012, but I think people need new.

As far as Borecraft being "better" than anything released in 2012, that is just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly, your taste in MMO's is something to be desired. Nonetheless, whatever rocks that carrot of yours. (Carrot-dangling humor incase it was above your head). :)

  bcbully

Elite Member

Joined: 3/03/12
Posts: 7007

2/05/13 10:19:51 AM#44
Originally posted by Razperil
Originally posted by bcbully

Something happened between wotlk and cata. Where BC felt like a new gae, wotlk felt like a new game, cata felt like the same old thing but less. Pandas felt better, but still too much of the same. They keep adding dungeons and battle grounds, but the systems either stayed the same or got trimmed. I think they are playing it way too safe. 

 

Is it possible for a game to be too polished, too streamlined? I keep going back to a quote from a gguy where he said "one guys frustration, is another guys game." 

 

WoW is still better than anything released in 2012, but I think people need new.

As far as Borecraft being "better" than anything released in 2012, that is just your opinion, nothing more, nothing less. Clearly, your taste in MMO's is something to be desired. Nonetheless, whatever rocks that carrot of yours. (Carrot-dangling humor incase it was above your head). :)

Better is subjective, but I'm basing it off my time played/replay ability. SWTOR 3 months, TSW 4 months, GW2 3 weeks, PS2 2-3 months. WoW 5 years. The thing is in some way shape or form these games followed the WoW philosphy. The thing other thing is, after Billions of dollars WoW has that philosophy in spades.

 

I just got tired of those philosophies, and Blizzards steamlining paved the way for my exit. 

 

  wowclones

Novice Member

Joined: 6/15/12
Posts: 133

2/05/13 10:25:47 AM#45
After 6 years you need to leave. There are other mmo's available now FYI. You have spent 1100 dollars on it, could have got a PS3, Xbox, Wii U and some fun games for each :( .
  sportsfan

Apprentice Member

Joined: 8/20/12
Posts: 365

2/06/13 2:38:46 AM#46
Originally posted by wowclones
After 6 years you need to leave. There are other mmo's available now FYI. You have spent 1100 dollars on it, could have got a PS3, Xbox, Wii U and some fun games for each :( .

I have not been playing for a couple of months now, but when I would leave I'd do ONE thing NOT: start another MMORPG because so much other things to do in life then yet grind in another game with less polish and no RL friends in it.

Play board games, do some sports, read, catch up on films and watch the replay of Seinfeld and Frasier :)

Also the reason why I am not playing atm is because of all these things and I am in a switch mode. I stopped healing with my Paladin in that awful healing nerf in CATA, my rogue is doing awful in PVE and MoP PvP is not fun for a Rogue with all those extensive crowd controls.

So that only leaves the hunter and I am not in the mood of playing a hunter in a China setting.

All the rest of the video games is kind a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No shooters, I dislike SC2 and its old resource strategy, I don't play computer wargames and Diablo 3 was fun for a while but very hallow after a few months.

IPads are not really good either to play games on. Perhaps one or two times a week a game of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne and that's it.

I think most WOW players who leave have a very hard time to find something else and frankly I just wait for the next Blizzard game to launch (outside of SC2 which I don't like).

But I am no fool either, I am not going to waste 4000 hours in a hollow MMORPG after having played the Blizzard quality of things like real open worlds to walk, run and fly in.

  Icewhite

Made History

Joined: 7/11/11
Posts: 6495

Pink, it's like red but not quite.

2/06/13 4:40:14 AM#47
Actually snapped the authenticator off the key ring yesterday (plastic just got old & brittle). Brief nostalgia moment, but quickly passing...."Dammit! Oh, haven't used this thing in years, anyway." Still generated a code though, not bad after...six? years since I bought it, can't complain about the durability of the little gizmo.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  Dantae87

Novice Member

Joined: 12/11/12
Posts: 172

2/06/13 4:51:54 AM#48
Originally posted by bcbully
Originally posted by Isturi
Originally posted by Murashu

You...will....be.......back.

 

I have a bunch of long time friends who all swore they were done with WoW after WotLK and somehow got sucked in by those damn little Pandas. Take a break and enjoy your time away, but if you really played for that long I have a hard time believing you are gone for good :)

LOL nope I am done. WoW is past its prime for me. No reason to go back.

No you will. I was done for 1 1/2 years, and still bought MoP and played for 2 weeks.. You'll leave again, but you'll be back.

REALLY! I left WoW mid cata...now MoP is out and i still havent bought it....GF has it and plays it like its her life asides from that ill never get back into WoW again...as OP said its past its prime and can only go downhill from where it is now.

  NC-John

Novice Member

Joined: 1/08/13
Posts: 112

2/06/13 4:54:23 AM#49

Good job. it's hard to let go of toons you spent countless hours playing and building. but when it stops being a hobby and starts sucking your life and more like a job, it's always time to walk away go find some real people to be friends with. I never considered people I meet in a video games as 'friends'. But glad you got out. I had a good run in WOW. to the point I never needed quest helpers I grinded so many max level toons i could have done it blindfolded.

Gratz.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

  User Deleted
2/06/13 5:12:55 AM#50
Originally posted by Isturi

 I have to admit for the first time playing goblins were fun. Made a goblin rogue and had a blast wining pvp as a hordie but did not last long for I missed being the good guy and went back to the allie side. 

I always felt the alliance were judgemental, holier than thou, self-righteous, arrogant hypocrites for thinking (and self-proclaiming) that they are "the good guys." [In game, not in RL :) ] Without knowing the stories of all the races and why they did what they did, it seems like the alliance estimation of their own moral superiority is based, when it comes down to it, on appearances. They look like "humans" rather than "monsters."

 

I tried to roll Alliance of few times, but just never could stick with it, though I think NE rogues are fun to play with high speed stealth mode. 

 

Anyway, don't be bitter and sad. You will probably go back a few more times to enjoy the yo-yo effect like many of us. I think I'm finally cured, but I've learned never to say never.

 

Good luck on finding your new mmo home.

  Bladestrom

Elite Member

Joined: 4/04/11
Posts: 3127

2/07/13 2:14:23 PM#51
Agreed. There's a bonus to getting rid of the wow habit too when the next wow expansion comes along you have the option to really enjoy the levelling experience and end game until you get bored and without the pressure/gear trap. For the price of an expansion you get that wonderful feeling of nostalgia and amusement at watching those trapped in the next gear cycle :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist)

Now playing Wildstar, AOW 3

  Zzulu

Apprentice Member

Joined: 12/29/03
Posts: 455

King of Nerds

2/11/13 6:57:40 AM#52

What's the point of declaring "I AM DONE WITH THIS GAME FOR GOOD!!!". Do you guys seriously play this game nonstop and then when you do stop you vow to never return? That's such a weird playing cycle.

Personally I can only stand to play WoW for about 1-3 months at a time before I have to take a year or more off from the game because it just simply gets really dull after a while. But I never go "Hmpf, I shall never play this again, ever!" because what's the point of that? Instead I figure if they release cool content in the future I might just have a look again.

  User Deleted
 
OP  2/11/13 10:37:05 AM#53
Originally posted by Zzulu

What's the point of declaring "I AM DONE WITH THIS GAME FOR GOOD!!!". Do you guys seriously play this game nonstop and then when you do stop you vow to never return? That's such a weird playing cycle.

Personally I can only stand to play WoW for about 1-3 months at a time before I have to take a year or more off from the game because it just simply gets really dull after a while. But I never go "Hmpf, I shall never play this again, ever!" because what's the point of that? Instead I figure if they release cool content in the future I might just have a look again.

I guess you never had the family and friends expierince with WoW? Would you delete your toons then? Or to much time of your RL invested? I deleted my toons for good. Just to keep me from going back. No way in hell im going to grind anouther toon.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search