Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Guild Wars 2 | Star Citizen

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,271 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,172
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » What graphic effect is creating the weird mistyness around everything?

9 posts found
  adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  11/11/12 8:28:17 PM#1
Anyone know what I'm talking about, and if it can be turned off?
  Tamanous

Elite Member

11/11/12 8:31:58 PM#2

Turn off Bloom effect.

I can't stand it either. It is turned off in every game I play. I believe it's intent is to blend lighting together to smooth edges and perhaps enhance depth of view or some stupid thing. Instead it just makes me think the developers want me to play thinking I need glasses.

You stay sassy!

Vannor

Apprentice Member

11/11/12 8:34:48 PM#3

God yeh, Bloom.. or Post processing effects. I hate it with a passion. Why people want a blurry haze around everything is a mystery to me.

Main problem games with this are WoW, Rift and GW2.

adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  11/11/12 9:29:34 PM#4
I've seen bloom before, but it never looked like this, also I see no bloom effect in the options to turn off, am I blind?
  adam_nox

Hard Core Member

OP  11/11/12 10:10:00 PM#5
In case anyone else needs help, if you use nvidia, have the weird black smudging ghosting around stuff, turn off ambient occlusion in nvidia control panel, restart the game. 
  User Deleted
11/12/12 12:58:42 AM#6

Originally posted by Tamanous
Turn off Bloom effect.

I can't stand it either. It is turned off in every game I play. I believe it's intent is to blend lighting together to smooth edges and perhaps enhance depth of view or some stupid thing. Instead it just makes me think the developers want me to play thinking I need glasses.

Developers use it to hide poor detail, lack of anti-aliasing (or shader based AA which is total trash) and such - it's very, very popular in console port shitfests as well.

UDprox

Novice Member

11/12/12 1:23:54 AM#7
SSAO was causing the black fuzzy outlines for me on character models. It was extremely annoying and in some cases would allow me to see outlines of things through walls. Disabling it in-game resolved the issue.
  expresso

Tipster

11/13/12 3:20:47 AM#8
As UDProx says it is the new SSAO lighting effect added in MOP - why anyone would want it turned on is beyond me but it's there in the gfx options of the game just disable it.
  User Deleted
11/13/12 8:30:14 AM#9

Originally posted by UDprox
SSAO was causing the black fuzzy outlines for me on character models. It was extremely annoying and in some cases would allow me to see outlines of things through walls. Disabling it in-game resolved the issue.

Yeah it and nameplates can come in handy for PVP.

There used to be some GFX options you could set that would hide terrain and let you see through walls like FPS maphacks, but I think they were removed around late WOTLK.