Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Diablo 3 | EVE Online

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,815,623 Users Online:0
Games:731  Posts:6,214,945
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » GW2 at 2M boxes sold, MOP double?

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search
166 posts found
  User Deleted
9/28/12 11:33:53 AM#141

I think looking at this the answer to the OPs question is probably no .

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Its difficult to tell but it appears MoP and GW2 might be in a close race for units solds and digital downloads upon release . I wouldn't like to bet either way what will sell best in its initial week or month.

But it appears MoP has failed to double what GW2 sold . (if accurate) It may even fail to match GW2 sales .

Azrile

Advanced Member

OP  9/29/12 12:20:11 AM#142
Originally posted by roo67

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/analysts-mists-of-pandaria-sales-disappointing/#comments

Its difficult to tell but it appears MoP and GW2 might be in a close race for units solds and digital downloads upon release . I wouldn't like to bet either way what will sell best in its initial week or month.

But it appears MoP has failed to double what GW2 sold . (if accurate) It may even fail to match GW2 sales .

MoP has been sold primarily through DD.  This is the first expansion where it was available from battlenet.  Those articles are clueless because they are comparing against Cata which was 100%  retail sales.  I really think the number of people who bought a physical box is the vast minority.. it was just so easy to buy it in advance and be ready to play at midnight.

laserit

Hard Core Member

Confusius say: Man who go to bed with itchy bum wake up with stinky finger

9/29/12 12:24:56 AM#143
Originally posted by Azrile
Originally posted by roo67

MoP has been sold primarily through DD.  This is the first expansion where it was available from battlenet.  Those articles are clueless because they are comparing against Cata which was 100%  retail sales.  I really think the number of people who bought a physical box is the vast minority.. it was just so easy to buy it in advance and be ready to play at midnight.

Are you in NA? because i've bought all the Xpacs online from blizzard

Zenimax kicked my dog

User Deleted
10/01/12 10:36:16 AM#144

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Mists_of_Pandaria

Looking at wikipedia if it is correct . MoP sales are 50 percent down on Cata in the first 24 hours . If true that means MoP not only failed to double GW2 sales it may have even failed to match them . At best we those figures they would be at a level pegging . Which is increadibly bad given WoW is an established game and GW2 is not .

Still too soon to call but I think the sales are going to be very disapointing and very worrying for Blizzard .

Heads will roll I would think in the near future .

boenboy

Novice Member

10/02/12 6:42:30 PM#145
No idea how many they sold yet, but I expect around 7-8 millions in the next 1-2 months. Everything else would be a disappointment since they always say, they have around 9 million payin subscribers.
  User Deleted
10/02/12 6:54:37 PM#146
I live in Australia and managed to get every WoW expansion as DD, not sure where you guys got that this is the first DD. the truth is that retail usually accounts for 60-70% of sales, and MoP has only sold 700,000 so far, so it probably hasn't even beaten GW2 yet. Maybe it will when people get the urge to play old characters after the initial disappointment wears off.
  Aori

Hard Core Member

10/02/12 11:59:40 PM#147
People are confused, this is the first expansion they offered DD of the CE which is going to skew things bit. I'm welling to bet people who didn't wanna fork over 80 bucks for a box CE may have done 60 for the DE as its the price of a regular retail game.
  User Deleted
10/03/12 12:12:50 AM#148
Lets be honest, it still hasn't done very well, otherwise Blizzard would be bragging already like they have done so in the past.
  User Deleted
10/03/12 12:15:15 AM#149
Originally posted by boenboy
No idea how many they sold yet, but I expect around 7-8 millions in the next 1-2 months. Everything else would be a disappointment since they always say, they have around 9 million payin subscribers.

That's just plain unrealistic. Cataclysm had supremely high sales, yet it was only roughly over 1/3 of the total playerbase of the time (4.7 out of 11+ million, I believe?). Expecting any of the expansions to sell to nearly 80% of the playerbase is plain ridiculous.

Or was I thinking about the first 24 hours?

Shadoed

Advanced Member

10/03/12 4:16:31 AM#150
Originally posted by Enigmatus
Originally posted by boenboy

That's just plain unrealistic. Cataclysm had supremely high sales, yet it was only roughly over 1/3 of the total playerbase of the time (4.7 out of 11+ million, I believe?). Expecting any of the expansions to sell to nearly 80% of the playerbase is plain ridiculous.

Or was I thinking about the first 24 hours?

Let's not forget that there are only around 4.5mill subbed customers, the rest of the numbers are made up by asian players using the pay-per-hour system who don't buy expansions, so the most they could have sold initially would have to have been within that 4.5mill base, but it is a wait and see thing at the moment.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Azrile

Advanced Member

OP  10/03/12 7:41:47 PM#151
Originally posted by evilastro
Lets be honest, it still hasn't done very well, otherwise Blizzard would be bragging already like they have done so in the past.

The first 24hr sales numbers are usually released by Blizzard about 10-14 days after the launch of an expansion.  We are on day 7 right now, and they have never released them that early.  Nice try though.  Maybe by next wednesday we can begin to question it.

Nadia

Elite Member

10/03/12 8:14:14 PM#152
Originally posted by evilastro

The first 24hr sales numbers are usually released by Blizzard about 10-14 days after the launch of an expansion.  We are on day 7 right now, and they have never released them that early.  Nice try though.  Maybe by next wednesday we can begin to question it.

you are wrong -- here are sources and dates

Press releases:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?page=2

12/07 :Cata launch

12/13: Cata  24hour sales -- 6 days later

11/13:  LK launch

11/20  LK 24 hours sales - 7 days later

Nadia

Elite Member

10/03/12 8:19:09 PM#153
Originally posted by Aori
People are confused, this is the first expansion they offered DD of the CE which is going to skew things bit. I'm welling to bet people who didn't wanna fork over 80 bucks for a box CE may have done 60 for the DE as its the price of a regular retail game.

i agree

Fion

Novice Member

forums.3305local.com

We are recruiting.

10/04/12 12:37:20 PM#154
The numbers are out. Pandaria has sold 2.7 million copies in its first week and is the game is back over 10k subscribers. This is still quite substantially poor sales compared to the previous two expansions. WotLK sold 2.8 million units in the first 24 hours, and Cataclysm sold 3.3 million units in the first 24 hours and each added significantly to that number over the first week.

Sukiyaki

Hard Core Member

10/04/12 1:00:44 PM#155

GW2:

+2 Million sales  - 2nd week, EU + US

WoW MOP:

~2.7 Million sales  - 1st week,  EU + US + KR + TW + RU + BR/PT + Latin American regions

Not close to those unrealistic "double of GW2s 2M", leave alone first day, leave alone Western only sales.

But well within ranges of my predictions instead.

I have still given them time to sell 400k licenses outside of China in the next 3 weeks (optimistically) for the financially based estimate.

eldaris

Hard Core Member

10/04/12 2:05:26 PM#156

Originally posted by Sukiyaki
GW2:

+2 Million sales  - 2nd week, EU + US

WoW MOP:

~2.7 Million sales  - 1st week,  EU + US + KR + TW + RU + BR/PT + Latin American regions

Just curious but did ncsoft blocked sales to "KR + TW + RU + BR/PT + Latin American regions" ?Because if not then there is no difference between markets.

Cyrael

Novice Member

10/04/12 2:16:15 PM#157
I wonder how many people are going to find themselves with the same feeling I had. The last time I tried playing WoW, after enjoying TSW and GW2, going back to WoW just felt...dated beyond words. I imagine there are people who are hopelessly attached to the game, but I'm surprised that the game still has the numbers it does given how many games are out there that are simply better in almost every way, both with and without subs.
  User Deleted
10/04/12 6:35:21 PM#158
Originally posted by Cyrael
I wonder how many people are going to find themselves with the same feeling I had. The last time I tried playing WoW, after enjoying TSW and GW2, going back to WoW just felt...dated beyond words. I imagine there are people who are hopelessly attached to the game, but I'm surprised that the game still has the numbers it does given how many games are out there that are simply better in almost every way, both with and without subs.

Well, I was personally going to download the WoW Starter Edition and check out the Pandas. I figured that since my Cataclysm review is going absolutely nowhere (Reviews are surprisingly hard to start), that I would convert it into a first impressions of Mists of Pandaria, or at least the Panda starting zone.

Azrile

Advanced Member

OP  10/05/12 9:50:52 AM#159

2.7M is lower than I was expecting (3-3.1), but I think it was more because of Cata than MoP itself.  They made a couple of huge mistakes in Cata.   Like many people have said, no game will ever kill WOW, it will kill itself.  They spent way too many resources revamping the 1-60 zones in Cata and did not have nearly enough endgame content for non-raiders.  They fixed that in MoP, but it will be hard to tell that to people who quit.

But I think the GW2 debate is over.  WOW is a subscription game, you have to pay $15 per month to play it, and it still has twice as many box sales as GW2 and is double on Xfire now also.   I think the sales of MoP and xfire have shown that GW2 really did not affect MoP as much as just the loss of subs from Cata did.

We will see, I hope the devs learned their lessons in Cata.  They need to add constant updates and 5mans  for non-raiders.

Shadoed

Advanced Member

10/05/12 10:11:01 AM#160

2.7M is lower than I was expecting (3-3.1), but I think it was more because of Cata than MoP itself.  They made a couple of huge mistakes in Cata.   Like many people have said, no game will ever kill WOW, it will kill itself.  They spent way too many resources revamping the 1-60 zones in Cata and did not have nearly enough endgame content for non-raiders.  They fixed that in MoP, but it will be hard to tell that to people who quit.

But I think the GW2 debate is over.  WOW is a subscription game, you have to pay $15 per month to play it, and it still has twice as many box sales as GW2 and is double on Xfire now also.   I think the sales of MoP and xfire have shown that GW2 really did not affect MoP as much as just the loss of subs from Cata did.

We will see, I hope the devs learned their lessons in Cata.  They need to add constant updates and 5mans  for non-raiders.

It seems they have learned a few lessons and listened to some of the people who left as they have already announced raid updates over the next few weeks and they seem to have a decent amount of PvP in development as well, but it is still a wait and see as with any other game as it will all be down to what they actually deliver.

MoP will be a slow burn i think as there seems to be a fair amount of positive press building up about the expansion and although you are never going to please everyone and some will just be plain burned out on the game, those that were borderline and left purely for what they percieved as the faults of Cata may well be drawn back.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

9 Pages First « 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 » Search