Trending Games | World of Warcraft | Elder Scrolls Online | WildStar | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,738,150 Users Online:0
Games:714  Posts:6,176,974
Blizzard Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 11/23/04)  | Pub:Blizzard Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC Mac | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

World of Warcraft Forum » General Discussion » Why WoW has been continually successful - "It's the content stupid!"

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search
65 posts found
  Aori

Advanced Member

10/02/12 11:50:59 PM#61
Originally posted by phantomghost

I'll admit I didn't really read your post. You say WoW did something no other MMO did and that was target children and people who wanted something for nothing.

You obviously didn't play Vanilla or even TBC. WoW already had a large gathering in those 2 era's and by no means were they "welfare".

The whole child thing is just baseless garbage.

phantomghost

Novice Member

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

10/03/12 9:36:37 AM#62

No, I actually did play then... I just only found it to be entertaining for about a month, then the remainder of my time on there I just went [mod edit] arena 2v2 and 3v3. 

But the majority of my post is stating that WoW grabbed the current MMOers at the time, but they also grabbed the children.  [mod edit]

If you actually read it you will see that I am actually congratulating WoW for what they did... but at the same time thanking them for ruining future  MMO's. [mod edit]

This was the typical 2v2 competition.  Typically this would have been the only challenge I would have in my 1v2 arena because there was another warlock. 

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

phantomghost

Novice Member

"Kill me, my man kills you, that's how you lose."

10/03/12 11:13:07 PM#63

Ok ok ok... when you mod edit my stuff can you at least make the sentence you consider hateful to not come off as child molester like....

Really you take out the words and make my sentence end with they grabbed the children.

Not to mention your edits make me come off worse than the unedited version.

Gotta remember I can't use the Q or W word.

"I see they watchin' me and takin' notes on my moves, Run up on me it's all I want I ain't got nothin' to lose."

User Deleted
10/04/12 5:46:29 AM#64

This generation got older and is now the market for modern MMOs. These children, now young adults are still addicted to this feel good receive rewards for doing nothing type games. (Some of these players are now finally seeking more of a challenge but it cannot be found anywhere) Every game tries to clone EQ2 and WoW. It draws in many MMOers with hopes of the finding the next great MMO, but all are upset to see the clones.

WoW's succeeds still because many people figure they might as well play the real thing and not the knock-off version.

Now people like me and the older generation (not necessarily older but the generation who were fortunate enough to experience the real fun in previous MMO's prior to WoW) are unable to find a game that brings back the good memories we all had in the late 90s and early 2000s prior to the children MMO's that are no being produced.

All current MMO's want to continue and build on WoW's success so they try to copy 98% of the game, and add one little 2% twist to their version. They hope to capture this WoW generation and then continue by capturing the NEW children that will be the next generation of MMO's. However, as I stated before nobody is playing the knock off versions, they are playing the real thing.

And the players who started MMO's are left waiting for the next MMO that will implement our preferences, this generations preferences, and the next generations preferences... which I do not see in the near future.

This guy knows what's up.

ReallyNow10

Elite Member

Don't give us stories. Give us worlds and we will make our own stories.

6/26/13 4:29:15 PM#65
Originally posted by Draemos

it's actually the engine.  The modability of the UI, the smoothness of the gameplay, the responsiveness of the combat system, the flexibility and crispness of game AI and design systems, the arts styles way of maintaining a somewhat modern look.  WoW has went through several content droughts.

Exactly.

4 Pages « 1 2 3 4 Search