World of Warcraft is one of the premier subscription MMORPGs, and has helped spread the entire genre into mass markets across the globe. Players enter the world of Azeroth, a fantasy realm of swords and sorcery, exotic races, mystical creatures, world turmoil, high adventure, and war. Created by Blizzard Entertainment, and based on the Warcraft series of RTS games first released in the mid 1990s, WoW expanded on the early Warcraft single player franchise and is now a vibrant multiplayer world, where players may engage in roleplaying, PvE, PvP, dungeon instances, battlegrounds, arenas, and raids. WoW has received four different expansions so far, including The Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria, and is still going strong.
World of Warcraft's most recent expansion, Mists of Pandaria, introduces players to Pandaria, a new land south of Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms that’s been magically hidden since the time of The Sundering. Its playable inhabitants are called the Pandaren, a neutral race of humanoid pandas who are heavily influenced by ancient Chinese myth, legends, and wuxia, and who can choose to join either the Alliance or Horde factions. The expansion also adds more content and improvements to the game, such as raising the level cap from 85 to 90, introducing the new Monk class, a reworked vanity pet system, a new pet battle system, new dungeons, raids, battlegrounds, and more.
- Massively Multiplayer & Online | Join thousands of other players online at any given moment, creating a world that’s full of life and action.
- Roleplaying | Take a race, a class, and a set of skills, and mold them into a personality that transcends the games’ mechanics.
- Warcraft Universe | Enter into a world with a legacy of more than fifteen years of epic storytelling.
- Persistent Online Personae | Create up to fifty characters who grow with each game session. As characters advance in level, so do their skills, weapons, armor, equipment, locations discovered, monsters defeated, NPCs met, quests completed, and adventures had, all with no worry of ever reaching ‘the end’.
- Magic, Mystery, and Adventure | At the core, WoW is about obtaining and completing quests, of which there is no shortage to be found. NPC quest givers may be found throughout Azeroth, from busy city streets, to dungeons, battlegrounds, raid locations, to out in the open world.
FACTIONS & RACES
- Horde | Once they were the ‘bad guys’ in the Warcraft RTS games; now they are a powerful faction made up of the Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead, Blood Elf, and Goblin races, along with the Pandaren who choose to join them.
- Alliance | The Grand Alliance faction is set to bring the Light to the less civilized races of Azeroth, and have gathered the Humans, Night Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Draenei, and Worgen under their banner, along with the Pandaren who choose to join them.
- Death Knight, Druid, Hunter, Mage, Monk, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, Warrior.
- Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Enchanting, Engineering, Herbalism, Inscription, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Mining, Skinning, Tailoring.
- Archaeology, Cooking, First Aid, Fishing.