Trending Games | ArcheAge | Rift | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,775,306 Users Online:0
Games:722  Posts:6,190,042
Sony Online Entertainment | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Final  (rel 01/30/07)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Forum » General Discussion » New Free to play changes to VG.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search
52 posts found
  Mardukk

Spotlight Poster

1/18/13 12:01:45 PM#41
Originally posted by evilastro

Read: TERA just launched an awesome FTP model and noone is playing ours because its shit.

Seriously, any idiot could have told SoE that they would make hardly any money if they try to nickle and dime everyone rather than make money off cosmetic stuff, but no, they have to make sure that anyone who doesnt subscribe is a gimp.

I'm highly skeptical that cosmetic stuff only would make a company much...if anything.  I wish we had some insider numbers to confirm one way or the other.

As someone said earlier on the thread.  It's basically a free trial model.  I give them a pass due to the extreme amount of content in EQ and VG up until you hit that endgame gear wall.

Scorchien

Advanced Member

1/18/13 12:01:45 PM#42

Read: TERA just launched an awesome FTP model and noone is playing ours because its shit.

Seriously, any idiot could have told SoE that they would make hardly any money if they try to nickle and dime everyone rather than make money off cosmetic stuff, but no, they have to make sure that anyone who doesnt subscribe is a gimp.

Compleltly False , There are many F2P players that are running around in gear as good or better than folks subbin at all lvl raanges ............And they can do all the same content as a subbed player , and pick and chose which gear to unlobk as they go if they want to...

Torvaldr

Elite Member

1/18/13 12:05:04 PM#43

You last statement is the clincher for me.  I don't mind good stuff being sold in the store, but I hate being nickle and dimed at every turn.  I hate that when my Gold status drops in EQ2 that all the good gear I've earned is stripped off me and I need to have a reserve set in the bank to wear or must craft/buy new gear.  But the thing I hate the most is knowing some features and mechanics, basically part of the game, is locked squarely behind a recurring fee.

I probably wouldn't play EQ2 or LotRO if I didn't already have so much invested and open in the game.  As newer games offer better payment models there is less and less incentive for me to keep up with my older games.

I think a mind wipe so people could play an mmo like it was their first time again, would be easier to build than a new mmo people here would actually like. - DamonVile

Donpoohbear

Apprentice Member

1/18/13 12:18:35 PM#44

hey whos making a new charectar im patching it atm id love to play with some ppl

Gishgeron

Advanced Member

1/18/13 12:23:59 PM#45
Originally posted by Mardukk

I'm highly skeptical that cosmetic stuff only would make a company much...if anything.  I wish we had some insider numbers to confirm one way or the other.

As someone said earlier on the thread.  It's basically a free trial model.  I give them a pass due to the extreme amount of content in EQ and VG up until you hit that endgame gear wall.

You don't need real numbers to draw an easy conclusion on cosmetics.  Would you buy them?  Do you know anyone who, if already pressed enough to want a free game, WOULD buy them?  The market is very small, but in a large game can amount to a nice sum of money.  In a small game, thats been all but abandoned by the community at large, cosmetic only revenue would be disasterous.  A great plan WOULD be to go B2P with regular paid updates.  However that model only works when created from the ground up, and performs poorly once a studio has already stripped its staff to a bones crew.  Vanguard no longer has a huge team behind it, so those updates would be slow coming, and it already has enough bugs the few people they have left NEED to work on. 

So, from a business perspective, they don't exactly have a ton of options in what F2P model they can run with.  The one they are going with now isn't that bad.  It has to be restrictive on some level or there is no need to ever pay for it.  At that point they might as well stick to having a short free trial and a full sub, even with its small audience.  If it hadn't been so long coming already, they could have captured initial interest in the game back when it was still relatively new by trying to bring some more devs in and go with the B2P option AND a cosmetic shop with some land deeds for sale (large in scope, for castles and such so the free player can still own enough land to have a small house of their own).  Trying to do that now would be silly, its an old game and the market is much larger now.  It would be an uphill battle, and no businessman is going to give the all clear on that plan EVER.

The problem with this site, and with gamers as a whole, is that they are just regular civilians with no background or understanding of how business works or even how the MMO market functions, as a whole.  You hear all of this spiteful nonsense because they feel that if one game is doing something they like that all games can.  Thats just pure ignorance.

User Deleted
1/18/13 12:31:51 PM#46

Its working for Aion.

Anyway, like you said, its a free trial. If you want to play a SoE game, its not F2P, its a free trial. You cant be competitive without subscribing or dumping a lot of money into the cash shop. Its just how they roll. (PS2 excepted of course).

Gishgeron

Advanced Member

1/18/13 12:36:39 PM#47

Its working for Aion.

Anyway, like you said, its a free trial. If you want to play a SoE game, its not F2P, its a free trial. You cant be competitive without subscribing or dumping a lot of money into the cash shop. Its just how they roll. (PS2 excepted of course).

I was under the impression that Aion had more than cosmetic stuff in the shop.  I don't mean pay 2 win, though I haven't checked recently, but I had thought they did sell thing that had function as well as form.  In either case Aion still has far more players, and pools from a large potential market, than Vanguard.  So the cosmetic only option would still fare better for them than these guys.

Dirkin

Apprentice Member

1/18/13 12:56:59 PM#48

Its working for Aion.

You can't be competitive at end game and raiding without spending some money. You can do just fine on the way up.

jonrd463

Novice Member

1/18/13 1:25:55 PM#49
Originally posted by Aeonblades
Originally posted by Aeonblades
Sorry Vanguard, I had high hopes from the beginning, but years of neglect can't be made up for by a very badly done B2P model. When are you people gonna realize that no one can play the game with the stupid limitations you set? It's like how on EQ I tried the F2P version, you can't even get enough money to buy gear because of coin limitations. Crap like that has no place if you want F2P to work.

You can level up (through countless amounts of content) which can take quite some time and not run into an item you need to unlock, in EQ. I really wonder about people and what they claim is unplayable... So SOE lifts some restrictions and people act like they added more...lol.

You missed the point entirely. When I log onto Vanguard, which I paid full price for, and I can't play any of my old characters because of gear restrictions, who does that punish? The greedy turd or the loyal customer who bought it and played for almost a year. I gave them more money than they are going to make on 90% of these F2P players, so what is my incentive to play if I can't play my characters because they are all half naked? Gear restrictions are silly. Coin limitations are silly (in pretty much every SoE title) It's just bad business.

When you paid full price for Vanguard, you did so under the agreement that you would be paying a $15/month  subscription fee for unlimited access beyond the free initial month. That option is still available.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Dreamo84

Defender of Worlds

I actually still like MMORPGs

1/19/13 4:38:54 PM#50
More people need to know about this generous F2P model now. I hope other SoE games follow suite.

Wraithone

Hard Core Member

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

1/19/13 4:49:18 PM#51
Originally posted by Benedikt
torgir, tsabohavoc:
*.... must .... keep .... it .... must .... not ....comment ....on their .... posts*
sorry folks I am not able to keep away from commenting, so here it is: thank you that you dont like the f2p changes. i really dont want to meat people like you in the game.

you got almost everything possible for free and you are bitching that it is not enough? give me a break

From what I've seen its a decent enough system. I played the game for awhile years back (near to launch) and then a few years after that. It seems fairly entertaining, but it was a ghost town the last time I tried it.

What type of meat are you planning to use on people in the game? I prefer beef, but it doesn't hold up well... ^^

Benedikt

Tipster

We live for The One, we die for The One.

1/20/13 3:15:27 PM#52
Originally posted by Wraithone
Originally posted by Benedikt
torgir, tsabohavoc:
*.... must .... keep .... it .... must .... not ....comment ....on their .... posts*
sorry folks I am not able to keep away from commenting, so here it is: thank you that you dont like the f2p changes. i really dont want to meat people like you in the game.

you got almost everything possible for free and you are bitching that it is not enough? give me a break

From what I've seen its a decent enough system. I played the game for awhile years back (near to launch) and then a few years after that. It seems fairly entertaining, but it was a ghost town the last time I tried it.

What type of meat are you planning to use on people in the game? I prefer beef, but it doesn't hold up well... ^^

dinosaur meat - whole leg with a bone

(ok i did corrected that typo :) )

3 Pages « 1 2 3 Search