Trending Games | Pirate101 | World of Warcraft | Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn | EverQuest

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,899,736 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,268,443
Sony Online Entertainment
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 01/30/07)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Forum » General Discussion » Should Vanguard relaunch like Darkfall is doing?

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
31 posts found
  DavisFlight

Apprentice Member

1/25/13 11:41:35 AM#21

It took Darkfall 2 years of full time development to create Darkfall 2. It's not really a relaunch, its a sequel.

It would take much MUCH more money than any company is willing to drop on Vanguard to remake all that content in a new engine.

Adamantine

Hard Core Member

War is not the ultima ratio, but the ultima irratio - Willy Brandt

1/30/13 7:11:26 AM#22

I dont think it fits into SOEs strategy to relaunch Vanguard.

A relaunch means you need to make a new game. You cant just make a new game box and give the players the old game. They would kind of spot that.

Thus a relaunch of Vanguard would imply a hefty fee of many million to create a lot of new content.

For SOE, that makes no sense. They have their EQ3 for that, already. Or EQ Next or whatever else its currently nicknamed.

ice-vortex

Novice Member

1/30/13 7:19:29 AM#23
I think it would be a good strategy to completely relaunch the game with the game on a new engine and new content, but I don't see that happening.
  User Deleted
1/30/13 11:14:26 PM#24

There would be no point. Vanguard is a re-envisioned EQ1 clone.

SoE are already investing heavily in the next installment of the Everquest franchise, which will be a sandbox.

While Vanguard has it's charm, EQNext will be the true spiritual successor to EQ1 and Vanguard.

They might revisit the Vanguard IP later if they want a themepark to sit alongside EQNext in the next gen of MMOs, since they own it now.

ZombieKen

Apprentice Member

Zombie - Dead but still moving.

1/30/13 11:20:11 PM#25

Even if they would, it might not be an improvement.

VG NGE?  Let's hope not.

MSOTSG with PPE : Massively Single-player Online Task-driven Storyline Game with Purchasable Performance Enhancements *grin*

Doogiehowser

Novice Member

1/31/13 11:50:57 AM#26
SOE kept it alive that is more than enough for me. Remember, no other company was even redy to touch Vanguard after its release. SOE was the only company who agreed to take over it. If people want to see Vanguard move forward they need to support it with money and not just words. it is business after all and no company would dump money into a game out of their own pockets which only few hundered players are going to play.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Zorgo

Advanced Member

Who did wrong? The advertiser hired to sell the game or the consumer who put faith in advertising?

1/31/13 1:40:23 PM#27
Originally posted by MMOExposed

Should this game simply relaunch like Darkfall is doing?

I know rumors is that Sony don't want Vanguard to compete with EQ2, but logically that makes little sense, because Sony owns both. The better each does, the more money they make.

So why not relaunch Vanguard as Vanguard 2. Add more gameplay elements that people like now days along with more sandbox elements that is a growing trend now days.

also I wouldn't overlook PvP this time around. That was a bad mistake in my opinion. PvP should be important, but not something that will own the game like in most Sandbox MMO.

also dynamic events, at least on a large scale like Rift's Zone Invasions, or the boss fights in GW2 would be a welcome feature.

and honestly, I feel the game should move away from Levels and the Level grind. Yeah that's old school and all, but it's not really that important in the long run. Look at Darkfall. It has a huge world, and no player levels. Gamepla, fun, skills, and rewards should be enough progression

levels only bring forth the rush mentality since people feel restricted from playing a certain element that they feel they would like.

They are. With all that subsequent information. Its called 

EQNext.

At least, that's my guess.

I think the 'new' development team in VG may just be in bootcamp for what is to follow; EQNext.

Adamantine

Hard Core Member

War is not the ultima ratio, but the ultima irratio - Willy Brandt

2/01/13 7:20:19 AM#28
I dont think EQ3 will qualify for a Vanguard successor. Right now my interest in EQ3 is very low, they want to make it some kind of F2P sandbox.
  Vidir

Novice Member

2/01/13 7:25:35 AM#29
It is to late to relaunch´Vanguard,vile it is the second best mmorpg I have played I will not return what so ever.
  Nadia

Elite Member

2/01/13 8:17:25 AM#30
Originally posted by Adamantine
Right now my interest in EQ3 is very low, they want to make it some kind of F2P sandbox.

i agree but i think it will be fun

Vanguard already had a tepid re-launch with its conversion to free to play

but SOE's marketing has always been weak

ShakyMo

Apprentice Member

2/01/13 8:21:41 AM#31
Is it worth Sony doing it when eqn will probably cover simmilar territory?

Open world, heavy pve (I guess), probably some sort of hybrid (i don't believe the sandbox talk, I've heard smed use the word with planetside and its not one)
2 Pages « 1 2 Search