Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,860,316 Users Online:0
Games:742  Posts:6,246,703
Sony Online Entertainment
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 01/30/07)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Forum » General Discussion » Vanguard and the price of a saga

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
34 posts found
  bobbymo

Novice Member

11/29/12 1:18:03 PM#21
Originally posted by strangiato2112

I dont do the freemium thing, I just sub generally.  But I have tried both EQ2 and LOTRO as f2p just for kicks, and I think the eq2 system (which is the vanguard system) is far superior, because the amount of content you can do for free is staggering.

I agree. Having the whole game right there for free wihout having to unlock content is great. I have taken advantage of the double and triple cash days using the SOE station cash card from Walmart. The Walmart card gives you 1500 SC for $15, plus  a bonus of 500. The bonus amount doubles and triples. You will get 6000 SC during a triple weekend, not too bad. I have spent $30 dollars on station cash in the couple of years, giving me about 10,000 SC total(1- 2x and 1 -3x).  I have unlocked classes, bought bags, mounts, and I still have a ton of cash left over for Planetside 2 :D . The only thing I wish that was different about Vanguard would be the ability to pay to unlock bag slots. You can buy the huge bag in the cash shop and this does help, but I can only imagine they would make a good amount of money if you could unlock the other 2 bag slots. Many people would buy 3 SC bags if that was the case.

CasualMaker

Apprentice Member

Spelling and grammar do matter.I find your lack of real-life skills disturbing.

11/30/12 12:33:19 PM#22
Originally posted by BarelyEin
I prefer a subscription based game, and to be honest I agree $15 is to much for Vanguard, but you DO get $5 worth of station cash with that. I dislike item malls and f2p, but I honestly do think Vanguard is one of the most affordable f2p games out there right now. I mean you could play for hours and hours without needing to spend a cent.

I thought the All-Access Pass was a decent deal at the old price for dabbling in 3 games. These days, it's only 1/3 more than a single-game sub for access to all of SOE's MMO games. And it finally has the 3-month, 6-month, yearly discounts that single-game subs have had all along. (Not that I use that option: I still don't trust SOE that much.)

StonesDK

Apprentice Member

12/01/12 4:15:28 PM#23
Originally posted by Biskop
Originally posted by Starpower

I'm just going by what you said. "That you can't see what the complaining is about". That's lack of understanding and has nothing to do with psychology. That's a mere fact. If you fail to see peoples points then that's a lack of understanding is it not?

Now that we have established you don't understand something, then what's your reference point of not understanding something? Your own view on things? That's my point right there. Maybe you should try and look past your own point of view. With it often comes a greater understanding.

Now if you would have said "I disagree with the complaints" then that's another matter. You can understand another persons view without agreeing.

I don't really have to know you, to read what you wrote. But don't worry forums are filled with ignoramouses like yourself. The mindset "well if I like something then I don't understand why you don't. Everybody should obviously think like me or like what I like". Using yourself as a reference point is never a good way to look at things.

If you are still confused then let me quote you

"and I can't see what all the complaining is about. I much prefer item restrictions to paying for content. With VG's model I can play casually and enjoy the whole game for free"

TLDR: What you like and how you think is irrelevant when it comes to peoples complaints. It's not about you

Aha, so one remark of mine about what I consider excessive complaints means I'm an "ignoramouse" who is "confused all the time", totally lack understanding and think it's all about me.

You sureley are a nitpicky one, aren't you? You must have a hard time browsing the internet when you read so much into one paragraph. Lighten up ffs.

It's the mentality which is too prevailant on these parts. You're just a small part of it

allegria

Novice Member

12/02/12 10:45:14 PM#24

Vanguard has its warts. But if you have not played or really spent any time with it and are a general MMOer you will have missed:

1. some of the best dungeons in any MMO ever

2. Some of the best class designs in any MMO ever

3. some of the best crafting in any MMO ever ( swg better imo )

4. Probably one of the best world designs, ever.

I have gone back many times, that said If i were to speak to a friend I would say:

Do it once, hit the main dungeons and always do things grouped.

Mawnee

Advanced Member

12/02/12 11:29:22 PM#25
Originally posted by Kenze

i get great fps its all the damn hiccups and stuttering that bothers me. I have no plans to move to SSD just for vanguard either especially when every other game plays just fine.

Wont help anyway. There is just something in that engine that stutters. I've played VG since EARLY beta on several different computers. I have installed the game on Flash drives, Ram drives and SSDs. Never had an impact on the stuttering. I've spent countless hours trying to get to the bottom of it.

I've never seen it in any other game where you get a solid 120+fps but with 0.5fps spikes. After playing for a while you become used to it and its less of a distraction. But I'd get hung up on it every so often and spend hours and hours tweaking things trying to get to the bottom of it. Its too bad, its a decent game. But the graphics arent good enough to justify the stuttering and it drives me NUTS!

I visited after it went F2P and the stuttering was still there. 

Most recent rig I tried it on is:

i5 2500k@4.7Ghz

16gb ram

GTX 570

Win7 64 on 60gb SSD

Game on 120gb SSD

Just for nostolgias sake....heres some of my shots from beta. Its the same character but showing some changes they made to the models during beta. Both hairstyles were removed before launch along with pretty much...ALL of them.

[IMG]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/Wizardcomputers/ScreenShot_00005-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/Wizardcomputers/ScreenShot_00050.jpg[/IMG]

allegria

Novice Member

12/02/12 11:50:00 PM#26
Originally posted by Mawnee
Originally posted by Kenze

i get great fps its all the damn hiccups and stuttering that bothers me. I have no plans to move to SSD just for vanguard either especially when every other game plays just fine.

Wont help anyway. There is just something in that engine that stutters. I've played VG since EARLY beta on several different computers. I have installed the game on Flash drives, Ram drives and SSDs. Never had an impact on the stuttering. I've spent countless hours trying to get to the bottom of it.

I've never seen it in any other game where you get a solid 120+fps but with 0.5fps spikes. After playing for a while you become used to it and its less of a distraction. But I'd get hung up on it every so often and spend hours and hours tweaking things trying to get to the bottom of it. Its too bad, its a decent game. But the graphics arent good enough to justify the stuttering and it drives me NUTS!

I visited after it went F2P and the stuttering was still there. 

Most recent rig I tried it on is:

i5 2500k@4.7Ghz

16gb ram

GTX 570

Win7 64 on 60gb SSD

Game on 120gb SSD

Just for nostolgias sake....heres some of my shots from beta. Its the same character but showing some changes they made to the models during beta. Both hairstyles were removed before launch along with pretty much...ALL of them.

[IMG]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/Wizardcomputers/ScreenShot_00005-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/Wizardcomputers/ScreenShot_00050.jpg[/IMG]

SSDs make a huge difference in running Vanguard if hitching is your problem. That is, the game freezes momentarily when you chunk, or load up a new area ( textures getting loaded into memory ). One thing Vanguard suffers from is FPS drops when people are around, the network code seems very very bad.

ozerinx

Novice Member

12/03/12 12:13:33 AM#27
stop arguing just let the people that enjoy the game play it and let the ppl that want to bash the game leave this thread because it isn't helping new players out at all. 
  Dreamion

Novice Member

12/03/12 12:25:25 AM#28
Originally posted by allegria

Vanguard has its warts. But if you have not played or really spent any time with it and are a general MMOer you will have missed:

1. some of the best dungeons in any MMO ever

2. Some of the best class designs in any MMO ever

3. some of the best crafting in any MMO ever ( swg better imo )

4. Probably one of the best world designs, ever.

I have gone back many times, that said If i were to speak to a friend I would say:

Do it once, hit the main dungeons and always do things grouped.

Yep, this goes for me aswell.

Everket

Apprentice Member

12/03/12 1:11:25 PM#29
Putting the game on an ssd was a revelation for me, changing chunks only takes 3-4 seconds now!
  User Deleted
12/03/12 1:17:42 PM#30

So an item unlock is 25 cents during double station cash periods. A character has 20 adventure slots and 20 diplomacy slots not to mention harvesting slots in seperate tabs that all costs to unlock?

That's just for 1 character. If you want to max crafting and actually make something worthwhile within several crafting spheres with multiple characters, then you could argue the price suddenly would be extremely steep. Then you may as well pay the monthly subscription which frankly prior to the F2P conversion wasn't worth the price. If it was then It would have had a higher population. Even with upcoming updates I personally find both the F2P pricing and the 15 a month too much for Vanguard in particular.

I've played VG extensively in the past and I'm no stranger to plucking down cash in a F2P game but IMO I think I'll pass

If you're doing all of that with multiple characters and crafting and whatnot, then it sounds like the game is worth subscribing for, which makes the cost of unlocking everything moot.  

olepi

Hard Core Member

12/15/12 11:03:56 AM#31
Originally posted by Everket
Putting the game on an ssd was a revelation for me, changing chunks only takes 3-4 seconds now!

Odd, I am running without an SSD, and changing chunks is 2 sec. When I did have the game on an SSD, changing chunks was like a blink.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

StonesDK

Apprentice Member

12/15/12 5:06:25 PM#32
Originally posted by asmkm22

So an item unlock is 25 cents during double station cash periods. A character has 20 adventure slots and 20 diplomacy slots not to mention harvesting slots in seperate tabs that all costs to unlock?

That's just for 1 character. If you want to max crafting and actually make something worthwhile within several crafting spheres with multiple characters, then you could argue the price suddenly would be extremely steep. Then you may as well pay the monthly subscription which frankly prior to the F2P conversion wasn't worth the price. If it was then It would have had a higher population. Even with upcoming updates I personally find both the F2P pricing and the 15 a month too much for Vanguard in particular.

I've played VG extensively in the past and I'm no stranger to plucking down cash in a F2P game but IMO I think I'll pass

If you're doing all of that with multiple characters and crafting and whatnot, then it sounds like the game is worth subscribing for, which makes the cost of unlocking everything moot.  

I didn't say it wasn't. I said 15 a month is too high a price IMO. I would concede to 7 - 10 a month tops. Then It would be good value for me and I have to make a disclaimer when I say that, because there's always one retard not necessarily you, that mentions subscribing for a year to get the price down. I never pay a year in advance when I take long breaks in between game sessions. It would be a foolish commitment. if you happen to be of the former persuation I'll gladly elaborate on that further

Other than that, my critizism isn't directed towards Vanguard. Just SoEs pricing model which will continue to keep me from this game

Value is always in the eyes of the beholder. If you think you get a kickass deal from SoE and this is the bestest F2P model in the world then more power to you. I'm not here to argue what you like or not. It's not about you

Aelious

Elite Member

World > Quest Progression

12/16/12 10:48:18 AM#33
One way to keep the "price" down but still enjoy perks further in Vanguard, or any SoE game, is to take advantage of double and triple SC weekends. 15.00 Walmart gift card gets you 6k SC which will last through a lot of bag and item unlocks, probably until the next x2/x3 weekend.

A x3 is coming up on the 21st I believe. I'm not sure if it includes Walmart cards though as they mentioned it for PS2 which has it's own type card. Still, 4500 SC for 15 bucks is still a good deal. I do not sub any SoE games ATM but have a large amount of SC to get what I need.
  allegria

Novice Member

12/17/12 4:17:27 PM#34
Originally posted by olepi
Originally posted by Everket

Odd, I am running without an SSD, and changing chunks is 2 sec. When I did have the game on an SSD, changing chunks was like a blink.

All SSDs are not created equally for sure. What you want is one with very very good Random Read performance.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search