Trending Games | Elder Scrolls Online | Marvel Heroes | Star Wars: The Old Republic | ArcheAge

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,921,927 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,314,746
Sony Online Entertainment
MMORPG | Genre:Fantasy | Status:Cancelled  (est.rel 01/30/07)  | Pub:Sony Online Entertainment
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:Free | Pay Type:Hybrid | Monthly Fee:$14.99
System Req: PC | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes Forum » General Discussion » downloading now, come talk to me! i got some questions

16 posts found
  darnapkin

Novice Member

OP  6/05/11 10:19:07 PM#1

getting the game on steam for 9.99, thought i would give it a chance, i got tired of rift and heard some good things about the game

just trying to figure out what class and race to play,  just like in any other mmo are you short on tanks and healers?  if so i think i'll roll a d warrior type, any advice on race?

also is there just once server now?  if not what server do i need to roll on?  i plan on doing some reasearch while the game downloads, but would love to meet and talk with some players :)

olepi

Hard Core Member

6/05/11 10:30:29 PM#2

Vanguard is an old-style MMO, meaning it has real content. Take healers for example, there are several kinds. One of these is the Shaman, which also has three different paths to follow. There are so many different kinds of classes, that you can really do anything.

There are two servers, Telon is the main US one. You should probably start on the starter island, the race-specific areas are cool, but empty now.  Guilds are active, check out who is recruiting.

Many of the classes are blurred, so that a Shaman Hayatet healer is also good at DPS, and has a good DPS pet. The necro is a really good pet class, and great at soloing. Try them all out, they play quite a bit differently.

Welcome to Vanguard!

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

darnapkin

Novice Member

OP  6/05/11 10:42:24 PM#3

a necro sounds fun, i do love killing things with the undead

how is melee combat?  is magic easier to solo with?   its hard to ask questions while i don't know much at all

please give me some advice tips if you can

Sovrath

Elite Member

6/05/11 10:51:41 PM#4

If you try the trial island you will get very good gear and a very good tutorial to get you started.

The trial island is nothing like the actual "world". You will see it's huge.

I have a low lvl necro and they seem to be able to solo well. My main is a dark elf dread knight but haven't logged into the game in a bit as I'm on an Aion kick at the moment. Still, they solo very well.

darnapkin

Novice Member

OP  6/05/11 10:58:42 PM#5

what is the most played class? i was on a rogue on rift and want to stay away from that.

Its nice to be in demand

kevjards

Apprentice Member

6/05/11 10:58:53 PM#6

if your starting trial island it can be quite difficult to get out of there if noone else is questing because the mini dungeon at lvl 10 ,well you can get a pasting in there,my advice is some type of melee class,i,e paladin.btw this is the best mmo going even though i dont play it anymore,enough content for you for years,enjoy m8,,its a beautiful game,and its huge envoiroment.

p.s use the Telon server,european server is dead.

darnapkin

Novice Member

OP  6/05/11 11:05:11 PM#7

hey thanks!  lol i love when another gamer wishes me a good time,, thats like one of the best feelings ever. lol

thanks alot

still not sure if i want to go nercro or do some melee, games almost downloaded

donjuanagain

Novice Member

6/05/11 11:05:59 PM#8

This game was the best MMO ive played to date. The amount of content in this game is insane. I played a warrior and was one level from max before I quit. I had a cleric I really liked to play and it was pretty good at soloing. I wish another company would take this game over from Sony and run with it. 

nine56

Novice Member

6/05/11 11:15:08 PM#9

Just my two cents - stay away from the idea of being "in demand." From what I can see, the game's population isn't such that certain classes are "in demand," at least from what I've seen.

Honestly, just pick a class that will be most fun for you to play and have a blast with it. Join a nice big guild so you'll always have friends to talk to and group with and you'll be fine. Most classes are fine at soloing, some are better than others obviously, but it's really about about your style of play. Do you like giant flashy numbers of damage appearing on your screen? Roll a sorceror or rogue. Do you love pets? Roll a necro or psionicist. Do you love being able to support a number of players in your group? Roll a bard, psion, or shaman. Do you love hybrids? Druid, Disciple, Shaman, Blood mage, Paladin, Dread Knight, etc...

The beauty of this game is that the classes are unique in such a way that each fills a niche. And most have some sort of unique system they use to perform their abilities. For instance, I'm playing a disciple right now who used the standard HP, Mana, and Energy bars but also uses the Jin system to perform special abilities. I also have two stances right now - a defensive/healing stance and an offensive/crit stance. The game allows for you to play your character in your way. And if that wasn't enough, you can even take part in one of the most appealing crafting systems ever to hit an MMO. If that's not enough, have some fun with the Diplomacy system.

I hope to see you in game. My name is Xandrah - send me a tell and I'll get you into a nice big guild where the people are always willing to give advice.

darnapkin

Novice Member

OP  6/05/11 11:19:12 PM#10

thanks very much Xandrah, i'll hit you up as soon as i get in game, its updating right now, still have a few questions on classes, but i think ingame would be the best to ask them

is there any aoe grinding in the game? always been a fan of aoe skills, however i've not played a pet class in a long time (daoc) and think the necro sounds more like me right now

Ardwulf

Novice Member

6/06/11 12:53:58 AM#11
Originally posted by kevjards

if your starting trial island it can be quite difficult to get out of there if noone else is questing because the mini dungeon at lvl 10 ,well you can get a pasting in there,my advice is some type of melee class,i,e paladin.btw this is the best mmo going even though i dont play it anymore,enough content for you for years,enjoy m8,,its a beautiful game,and its huge envoiroment.

p.s use the Telon server,european server is dead.

I just ran this over the weekend.  Briefly, the storylines of the Isle of Dawn converge at the Temple of the Ancestors, which is a mini-dungeon. Which for Vanguard means that it's equal or greater in size and complexity than most WoW dungeons.  I don't think it's soloable by characters on the Isle, but a reasonably tight group of three should be able to handle it.  A sloppy group of four (like I had,) can do so as well.

I also had no trouble putting a group together for it.  I wouldn't say the Isle was jam-packed with people, but I gather four (five at one point) with no issues by using the social tool and sending out tells, and there were two other groups down there with us.

helthros

Novice Member

6/06/11 1:25:38 AM#12

Well I'll try to give you some info on the classes since you haven't really gotten much with that regards.

The classes in Vanguard are simply fantastic. This, imo, is the best part of the game. You haven't really said what kind of style you want to play other than inquiries on melee so I'll stick mainly on that.

You have 3 tanks, warrior, paladin, and shadowknight. Typical stereotypes apply.

Paladin - Can self heal. Has a special resource that accumulates over time (called divine points I think I'm not sure). These points can be used for massive heals that can mean the difference between wiping and not. Great threat/dmg. Has a lull/mez that can make them the best pulling tank.

Shadowknight - Typical health stealing caster/tank. Has some great debuffing as part of his contribution that can be great. Better damage than the Paladin. Great for soloing due to the self-heals and damage.

Warrior - Considered the toughest and rarest of the three (as far as I played). Due to no self-healing it can be more difficult to solo him. However, he brings some nice utility in the form of damage buffs and forced crits (moves when executed cause everyone attacking that mob to crit).

Tank break down - I found all 3 capable. Paladins are the safer bet. Shadowknights will solo best and have some good AoE aggro. Warriors seem harder to really make shine but they seem like they would be more rewarding in a group setting if you can pull it off. I've seen some great ones, but I would imagine they struggle solo. Lots of short time things so lots of clicking. Paladins and Shadowknights are typical with spells, debuffs, buffs etc. Oh yeah, Pally = sword and board, Warrior = Dual wield, Shadowknight = 2hander - Even while tanking, if that sways your decision a certain way.

For a quicker break down of healers:

If you like the utility of being a healer but enjoy melee, Vanguard does the melee healers pretty well. As I write this I'm actually curious about giving a DISCIPLE a shot. They chain melee moves to achieve certain special HoTs and Buffs. Great damage for a healer and has very sustainable mana.

The only true ranged healer is the BLOODMAGE which actually does their healing by critting and such and proccing massive group heals through offense.

SHAMAN I never toyed with much, but they have 3 paths with 3 different pets.

CLERIC is another melee healer. He is the typical healer, but since he's melee and has to get some melee procs he isn't just sitting in the back healbotting (none of them). If I remember correctly, Cleric had the most sought after buff.

About melee dps:

MONKS are fantastic and fun. Monks are disciples that do massive dps (or disciples are monks that heal). They have great soloing if I remember correctly and chain moves for special attacks like the disciple.

ROGUE is the class I played to max level. I had a great time because it was so damn challenging. The way rogue works in this game is you really want to maintain stealth while fighting. You gain massive bonuses for being in stealth (its a stance) and a lot of your attacks as you would expect are from behind. Soloing was tough but challenging trying to manage stuns and such, but groups is where they shine. Would have a tough time solo, especially your first time around. Because of this, there weren't many rogues when I played.

BARDS are one of the cooler classes. You're basically a buff bot with songs, but your utility is unmatched. You turn dps classes like rogues monks and casters into absolute monsters. You have a speed song that's faster than any mount (it's group wide and Ohhh so sexy, you'll see eventually). Group wide invis makes getting into dungeons, corpse running etc a breeze. Damage isn't the best, but they still lay some down their own. You mix and combine your songs that are composed of the buffing components. So one of your songs will be regen, invis, speed etc. You'll have a caster friendly tune, melee friendly, solo etc.

RANGER melee was possible and in most cases preferred to ranged ranger, but I never saw them much so I couldn't comment.

Hope this helps. Please keep in mind I haven't played the game in well over a year or two so my insights might be a little outdated in regards to how they compare with each other. You got me wondering if I should install to try out the free SoE-sux days. I always wanted to get a Disciple up but I

Bladestrom

Elite Member

6/06/11 3:29:14 PM#13

Hi, I was an exact same boat last week played rpg/mmorgs for many a year and was lookngi for something to fill the mmorg gap until nexy year so downloaded from Steam for £7 :P  As per my posts elsewhere, game is above my expectations so far.  Tips I posted a minute ago:

1. Go on american server even if you are in euro.

2.  Do the isle of Dawn starting area, and get the Bracelet, nice motivation. (I solod everything appart from the final instance as squshy mage + 1 other)

3 Join the guild mentioned above, good to have a community to log on with.

4. When you get to the mainland, take your time and enjoy the exploration experience and dont try and power level or even watch xp too much, the games greatest asset is it's huge world.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (10000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (600 runemaster/Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR

olepi

Hard Core Member

6/06/11 8:47:26 PM#14

The only true ranged healer is the BLOODMAGE

Not sure what you mean by this, the shaman is a very standard healer, with an area heal, and ranged heals. Shamans have no melee heal.

------------
RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

Vahrane

Novice Member

6/06/11 9:00:11 PM#15

Poster above forgot/neglected to mention there are 6 different types of Cleric in Vanguard based around the games dieties! Don't wanna go into all the diff types but regardless this is finally a game where Clerics are far from boring and don't only really fill a healing role. Here's a link to a list of Cleric types within VG for those interested http://wiki.silkyvenom.com/index.php/Cleric

kevjards

Apprentice Member

6/06/11 9:06:46 PM#16

if you live in the UK and are interested in this game..go to play.com..you can get the game there for £1 and you get 30 days included..better offer than steam are giving atm.but different country.