Trending Games | World of Warcraft | ArcheAge | Elder Scrolls Online | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,923,350 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,315,998
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Eve online population.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search
52 posts found
  tom_gore

Apprentice Member

1/22/13 6:23:59 AM#21
Originally posted by Malcanis
Originally posted by tom_gore

Yes EVE is quite inexpensive when it comes to MMOs.

However, their three last "expansions" have pretty much been patches that add very little new content and instead tweak and fix existing systems. Not saying they're not needed, but EVE has not seen really new content (such as the Incursions or Wormholes) in a long time.

On the other hand there's a vast amount of existing content. A player starting now won't need to worry about needing "new content" for a very long time.

True.

And I also realize putting in new stuff to EVE is vastly more complicated than adding stuff to a themepark, as everything you add will connect with everything there already is and affect it in one way or another.

I still hope they will start adding content this year, instead of just revisiting old stuff. The latest dev blog gives me hope.

sea.shell

Apprentice Member

1/22/13 6:30:54 AM#22

Hello,

i've just started to play EVE (after having a trial account and a buddy invite from a friend).

I tried to be a pirate just so see how that whole pvp works. YARR...no. Didn't work out to well for me personally.

As far as i can say, EVE chat is very active. You get auto added to a NPC Corp upon character creation. (roughly 750people in mine a few days ago and the chat just spins away like crazy), plus a few thousand people in the local chat.

It's active, many people are chatting. Almost all topics are even civilized.

Friendly?.............well most appear to write nice things, but beware in EVE griefing and backstabbing are allowed and considered an "art" by some. Just don't trust anyone, never say specifics in those channels, some people lurk there all day just to ruin one's day for kicks.

That's part of EVE, one has to embrace it. Everywhere you will find people in high-sec, and in low-sec a lot more, afaik all are enemies though. For a game having so much passive gameplay it's very active and feels crowded and MMO-ish as it should be.

Playing: EVE Online
Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

shingoukieh

Apprentice Member

2/03/13 11:20:07 PM#23
eve is still going strong...the social aspect is kinda like chat room based. lots of people to chat with...to play with its like one of those games where people wont group with u normally unless u in their corp...9/10 of eve players are friendly...most people just look for some fun action to get involved with...cant really recommend anything for u to do ingame besides joining a corp and doing tutorial... also the starting NPC corp u can proly make a few friends in there.
  Loktofeit

Hard Core Member

Currently playing EVE, SMITE, ArcheAge, and Combat Arms

2/04/13 12:22:40 AM#24

And I also realize putting in new stuff to EVE is vastly more complicated than adding stuff to a themepark, as everything you add will connect with everything there already is and affect it in one way or another.

Word.  At one point when writing the stuff for the feature site, I sat back and looked at it all: revamping bounty hunting and kill rights, totally updating the crimewatch system, upgrading the UI, adding new ships, rebalancing frigs/cruisers/destroyers, and ripping out the old music system to replace it with situation-based atmospheric audio.

I thought, "Holy crap, what the hell did we just get ourselves into here?"

Adding any given one of those to the code behind a 10-year old MMO has a chance of doing something disasterous, let alone adding all of them at once.... followed by adding a complete other game onto the server with cross-platform communication and the first steps of gameplay (Tactical Strikes) between the two.

Whether it was sheer awesomeness on the part of the EVE dev team or the right number of virgins tossed into Eyjafjallajökull, something saved Retribution from itself. :)

"And wikipedia is as accurate as Britannica. Wikipedia is very reliable. You would be hard pressed to find a more reliable source for these kinds of things." -fivoroth

Nitth

Elite Member

Magic Propels my Rolly Chair.

2/04/13 12:39:56 AM#25

Originally posted by sea.shell
I tried to be a pirate just so see how that whole pvp works. YARR...no. Didn't work out to well for me personally.

May i ask what went wrong?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

sea.shell

Apprentice Member

2/04/13 4:04:54 AM#26

Too few people around in low sec which are possible prey.
Too many people for a lone rifter.
Nullsec is full of groups.

Just wasn't my thing either. Now i'm in a lowsec corp, get my destroyers / cruisers / Battlecruisers and frigates ships supplied. The moment i undock i'm in a fleet chasing other blobs of our system or roam with them.

Personaly the logistic / EWAR role is much more fun than sitting alone in a safespot and DScan passing by strugglers.

Playing: EVE Online
Wants to play: ArcheAge, Lineage Eternal: Twilight Resistance / Star Citizen / FFXIV AAR / Neverwinter

Used to play for 5+ years: Lineage 2, Lord of the Rings Online and Ragnarok Online

Utter disappointing MMO experience for 1 - 3 Months:
WAR / AoC / SWTOR / RIFT / AION / STO / TSW / GW2 / GW / Vanguard / Planetside2

Phry

Elite Member

2/04/13 4:22:12 AM#27
Originally posted by Loktofeit

Word.  At one point when writing the stuff for the feature site, I sat back and looked at it all: revamping bounty hunting and kill rights, totally updating the crimewatch system, upgrading the UI, adding new ships, rebalancing frigs/cruisers/destroyers, and ripping out the old music system to replace it with situation-based atmospheric audio.

I thought, "Holy crap, what the hell did we just get ourselves into here?"

Adding any given one of those to the code behind a 10-year old MMO has a chance of doing something disasterous, let alone adding all of them at once.... followed by adding a complete other game onto the server with cross-platform communication and the first steps of gameplay (Tactical Strikes) between the two.

Whether it was sheer awesomeness on the part of the EVE dev team or the right number of virgins tossed into Eyjafjallajökull, something saved Retribution from itself. :)

it helps if the dev team that were involved in the original coding is the one doing the improvements/changes, and the coding of Eve has been 'evolved' progressively over time, mostly in a reactionary way to player activity, they have after all, had to improve the coding to deal with large 'blobs' player fleets numbering sometimes in the 1000's which used to cause hideous amount of lag, particularly in the fights themselves.  Eve is probably virtually unique in this respect, but i do think its one of the reasons why the game has been so successful.

newchemicals

Novice Member

2/04/13 4:02:16 PM#28
Originally posted by Rydeson
Originally posted by Aesper
You have to remember, too, that EVE is a game of commitment. Some people are extremely invested in it. I mean, in-ves-ted to the point they would probably have a panic attack at the thought of losing their hold.

So true..  I noticed that during my free trial days.. The time alone invested in the game is insane, almost to the point of being unbalanced.. Only one character per account can skill up at a time..  I found that to be extremely greedy of Eve..  The game is extremely penal that you have to stay subscribed to keep up with the skill training system and loot or fall behind..  Don't get me wrong, it's s good game,, BUT it's formula is much like facebook games, which uses conditioniong similar to Pavlov's dog to keep subscribers active..

Actually, a long time ago players could "ghost train" skills, aka skilling while unsubbed. You select some really long skill like Battleship 5 right before your account expires and then in a few weeks you have Battleship 5 for free.

Its not penal at all. Players were very good at abusing this so they removed this feature.

kovah

Advanced Member

DaZeD aNd AmUsEd

2/04/13 7:39:14 PM#29

Got Cruiser V and BS V that way...  <.<   >.>

"Meh, bored and subs up."  *set Caldari BS V, log out*  *3 months later decide to come back* "Hellz yeah!  BS V BITCHES!"

:-)

keitholi

Novice Member

2/04/13 7:58:22 PM#30
Originally posted by ch900712

Are there many active people playing the game ?

Last time I played, which was in December, there were 30-40k people on during my playtimes. Not sure what peak users is but for EVE, thats pretty healthy and active.

Is the game social ? Can you chat and have fun with people? Or do they just mind their own business ? I hate playing mmos with dead chat and no social aspects I would stick to single palyer games if I wanted that.

Yes, its very social. Be careful is the first advice that pops to mind though lol. I never experienced spying and the fanatical lengths that people will go, to screw someone over in a game, till I played EVE. Its one of the higlights IMHO. A plethora of different help channels, corp channels, recruitment channels and locals. Just watch out for the scammers ;)

Is the game going anywhere soon? Would hate to start playing learning everything and then suddenly realise that noone plays the game anymore. .

We just celebrated 9 years and the population is higher, with more active subs, now than at any point in it's history. EVE is unique like that though, most other games lose retention over time, EVE has expanded.

Sorry for the many questions I just want some answers because I dont know anyone who plays the game.

Eve can be a very complex game to get the hang of. The best advice I can give is check out the corp recruitment channel and get into an active corporation. It will provide a better learning experience as you figure everything out.

Just my 2 cents as an on-again-off-again-since-beta player.

keitholi

Novice Member

2/04/13 8:15:04 PM#31

However, their three last "expansions" have pretty much been patches that add very little new content and instead tweak and fix existing systems. Not saying they're not needed, but EVE has not seen really new content (such as the Incursions or Wormholes) in a long time.

IIRC that is primarily due to player outrage and demands of these things. If you don't play, then you don't follow and you don't get it. WE wanted fixes, tweaks and additions to flying-in-space. There was almost mass exodus due to the whole walking-in-stations thing they were about to pursue.

There is of course the fact that every expansion, to my knowledge, over the last 9 years has been FREE. Imagine, a game company that takes the money they earn from subs and puts it back into content! Isnt that what one of the original intents of charging a monthly sub fee was for way back when UO started charging them? Free added content as part of the plan, unlike Blizzard charging $60 bucks a box on top of sub fee's.

miagisan

Novice Member

2/04/13 8:23:07 PM#32

EVE is the best mmo most will never play. I spent years in it and the only reason i stopped was 3 kids, a house and a job lol :) otherwise i would still be playing

(i still dream of it....sad but true)

and your daily server populations 

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

h0urg1ass

Apprentice Member

2/05/13 12:20:07 PM#33

The population in EVE has never been an issue.  It has always had a steadily rising population of players.  The "problem" is that a good 50% or more of them will never leave high sec, and that's being conservative.  A lot of players log on every day to do nothing more than trade, build stuff or blow up NPC ships in missions.  This is fine for them if that's what they want to do!  I'm not knocking anyones playstyle, but if you're looking at that pool of 55,000 players online as a source of potential PVP, then you'll be sorely disappointed as most players have no desire to fight other players. 

Out of 55,000 players online, I'd wager that only less than 1000 of them are looking for good fights, and that's spread across 5,000+ solar systems.  On top of that, a good fight is largely determined by what ships you are both flying.  If you're out looking for a good fight in an assault frigate, and you run into a guy looking for a good fight in a double webbed battlecruiser, then you'll most likely just avoid each other and another PVP opportunity is lost.

EVE is simultaneously the most exciting, heart pounding thrill you'll ever have, and the deepest yawning boredeom you'll ever experience all rolled into one game.

PVP in EVE is the most exhilerating feeling I've ever had from a video game.  Everything is on the line, from the ship you're flying to your reputation in every fight.

On the flip side, trying to find those fights is all but impossible these days.  They turned all the good geurilla ships into flying useless bricks a few years ago.  Local chat is an instant intelligence tool that, when coupled with an alt scouting in a shuttle, keeps PVP stale and lifeless.  You'll only get a fight these days from someone who wants to fight you, and when someone wants to fight you, that generally means they have 50 buddies one jump away just waiting to gank you after you foolishly engage.

If you manage to get a couple of good fights a week, you'll spend dozens of hours flying around looking for those good fights.  To me, that equation is just too lopsided.  I'd rather have slightly less excitement in another game, but have it more routinely... and this is coming from someone who played the game every single day from 2005 until 2010 and I still have one account that I log into just to train skills. lol

Hazelle

Novice Member

2/05/13 10:24:32 PM#34
Originally posted by Rydeson
Originally posted by Aesper
You have to remember, too, that EVE is a game of commitment. Some people are extremely invested in it. I mean, in-ves-ted to the point they would probably have a panic attack at the thought of losing their hold.

So true..  I noticed that during my free trial days.. The time alone invested in the game is insane, almost to the point of being unbalanced.. Only one character per account can skill up at a time..  I found that to be extremely greedy of Eve..  The game is extremely penal that you have to stay subscribed to keep up with the skill training system and loot or fall behind..  Don't get me wrong, it's s good game,, BUT it's formula is much like facebook games, which uses conditioniong similar to Pavlov's dog to keep subscribers active..

Your reputation in the game counts and the decisions you make should have lasting ramifications and if you were able to skill up 3 at once eve online would degrade quickly into resembling the alts of the official eve forums.  Players with disposible alts will hide behind them and the throw them away.  If you want to be a jerk be a jerk.

tarodin

Hard Core Member

2/08/13 1:50:04 AM#35

Hello

i've started play three days ago. Game is full of newbies, rockie channel has over 5k players asking and answering noob questions.

It has a good population and looks like a good game. It's not a simple game, not easy like wow or etc... you need to READ all the tutorials, and then, you need to read a lot of wiki articles for success hehehe

If you like sandboxes i suggest you to try.

zomard100

Apprentice Member

2/08/13 2:18:22 AM#36
Eve have best help channel i ever saw in any mmo. But i can never understand why are people so lazy to download game and to try. So you go first on forum and you waste 10x time of download to chat about how good or how bad is Eve Online. On the end some 10 Eve haters will convince you and you will give up on this game.
  shingoukieh

Apprentice Member

2/10/13 10:38:21 PM#37
Originally posted by miagisan

EVE is the best mmo most will never play. I spent years in it and the only reason i stopped was 3 kids, a house and a job lol :) otherwise i would still be playing

why would that stop you....your skills train while you are offline.

Malcanis

Apprentice Member

"A very special kind of stupidity"

2/11/13 7:38:56 AM#38
Originally posted by shingoukieh
Originally posted by miagisan

why would that stop you....your skills train while you are offline.

If he'd spent "years" in EVE, then he probably has all the skills he needs.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

pinktailz

Novice Member

2/11/13 8:06:34 AM#39
Originally posted by ch900712

Is the game social ? Can you chat and have fun with people? Or do they just mind their own business ? 

Personally i never seen so retarded community as in eve online, ppl can sit and wait all day just to kill one random guy, everyone thinks they are pvp pro and hate who going any pve activities.

Quesa

Novice Member

2/11/13 8:21:55 AM#40

Eve's content is almost entirely player driven.

3 Pages « 1 2 3 » Search