Trending Games | Star Citizen | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Landmark | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,378 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,452
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Game Suggestions » Where Eve falls short

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search
71 posts found
  User Deleted

OP  2/20/09 2:24:28 AM#1

Game is too focused on PVP. Tried it from 2003-2007 on and off and just cant get into it, just like the recent poll says::

Which is more important in an MMO, PvE or PvP?

PvP focus with a little PvE (15.1%)

PvP ( 5.3%)

PvE (18.0%)

PvE focus with a little PvP (37.5%)

Equal Parts PvE and PvP (24.1%)

Based on 773 votes.

HYPERI0N

Novice Member

Trader of EvE Online since July 2003.

3/20/09 1:36:41 PM#2
Originally posted by Achilleys

Game is too focused on PVP. Tried it from 2003-2007 on and off and just cant get into it, just like the recent poll says::

Which is more important in an MMO, PvE or PvP?

PvP focus with a little PvE (15.1%)

PvP ( 5.3%)

PvE (18.0%)

PvE focus with a little PvP (37.5%)

Equal Parts PvE and PvP (24.1%)

Based on 773 votes.

That poll obviously dont count as im betting EvE wasant mentioned as in EvE PvP actually works pretty well as does the crafting. And the PvE is begining to look good too.

Of course this assumes that your poll wasant just Made up by you ;)

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

miagisan

Novice Member

3/20/09 1:39:12 PM#3

i guarantee you post that poll in the eve section or eve forums....you will find the numbers flipped. PVP drives the economy, control of space, and all interaction in this game....without pvp, this game would be a bore and the economy would be severely out of whack.

SonofSeth

Novice Member

Find a form
is free to roam

3/20/09 1:47:58 PM#4

Miagisan, you are arguing that if you already like EVE, you would vote in favor of it's gameplay system. That is true, but has nothing realy with the point he's trying to make. It was a poll on the homepage of mmorpg.com and those 773 people are some indication of what kind of people visit this page.

PVP is doing good things for EVE economy and expirience you get when entering EVE universe. Good PVE would only add to the game. 

Finwolven

Novice Member

3/22/09 2:33:22 PM#5

I agree that adding 'Better PVE' to EVE would probably boost subscriber numbers. I also bet CCP would like to do this, if they could figure out just what constitutes 'Better PVE' in a way that wouldn't essentially change the EVE experience to something more akin to WoW.

I'm stumped, too. Do you people have any ideas?

The goal is: To integrate a PVE environment into EVE that would constitute a good PVE experience for single (solo) players and groups, while still retaining the unique PVP risk factors and atmosphere. You must not use the phrase 'remove ... death penalty' in any way, or suggest 'PVP risk free zones' or 'another server', as these have been discussed to death and are considered anathema to the EVE experience as a whole.

Any ideas?

Sheista

Apprentice Member

3/22/09 2:43:25 PM#6

300k subscribers think you're wrong.  They play EVE because of its uniquely PvP-driven universe.

Adding more PvE content is already on the dev's list of things to do, and they're constantly working on doing just that.  And that's great, too.  But making the game less PvP-centric wouldn't work.  The game -works- because of how it's made.  The PvP drives the economy, and the economy drives PvP.  Without PvP the game would fail.  Likewise, without PvE the game would fail.  It's a very fine-tuned machine, and CCP is doing just fine the way it is.  As long as they simply -add- PvE content, and don't take away from the PvP portion of the game, things will be fine.

Tadamitsu

Novice Member

If it ceases to be fun, it ceases to be.

3/22/09 2:49:48 PM#7

I agree eve could use better PVE, but they play to the large pvp crowd, which is not me.

played:WoW and Eve off and on 5 years
Tried:CoH/V, PoTBS, War, TR, STO, FE
TOR is likely to rock

avalon1000

Novice Member

3/25/09 2:53:44 PM#8

I am not a PVP person either...but here's the thing that would make this game killer...

Let us go to worlds...get out of the ship and explore (and maybe quest).  I played the trial version of Eve and was dismayed to learn I could not leave my ship (although I understand now that one can go into the stations?).  

Tadamitsu

Novice Member

If it ceases to be fun, it ceases to be.

3/25/09 8:42:03 PM#9
Originally posted by avalon1000

I am not a PVP person either...but here's the thing that would make this game killer...

Let us go to worlds...get out of the ship and explore (and maybe quest).  I played the trial version of Eve and was dismayed to learn I could not leave my ship (although I understand now that one can go into the stations?).  

nope

no planets no stations

its all about life in a pod

played:WoW and Eve off and on 5 years
Tried:CoH/V, PoTBS, War, TR, STO, FE
TOR is likely to rock

kattehus

Novice Member

"Life is just a test - a test to see if you can survive death." - Myself.

3/26/09 3:21:46 AM#10

With "Walking in Stations" (insert official name, instead) coming soon, you will be able to walk inside stations, play mini games, have a shop, and so on. Basically they're adding some second life to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added some interactivity with planets at one point or another.

I enjoy pve, but I enjoy the thrill of pvp more. I only do missions to earn isk, and that's it.

But eve could use with some more and better pvp, such as they did with the sleepers. Now they just need to add more missions, and different missions (I know I'm tired of most of those "Go to x, kill y of z and come back"-missions)

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0

-Actively playing Eve.
Follow my tweet (:

Kordesh

Apprentice Member

3/26/09 3:27:17 AM#11
Originally posted by kattehus

With "Walking in Stations" (insert official name, instead) coming soon, you will be able to walk inside stations, play mini games, have a shop, and so on. Basically they're adding some second life to it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added some interactivity with planets at one point or another.

Actually in one of their recent little expo things, their (distant) future plans after walking in stations are actually to allow colonization of planets in a Civ like fashion for corps. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

mmoguy43

Spotlight Poster

4/04/09 5:04:53 PM#12

The addition for walking around on stations sounds great and all but its only for the social aspect of the game. Are they later going to build more onto this so there is a combat system too? I doubt it but if anyone knows please correct me.

I think they really should improve the PVE. What would be nice is to have ship specific missions, not L1-4 where its Frigate,Cruiser,BS,BC. If you specailize in frigates that would only help you in PVP  and after L2s you'd have to upgrade your ship to make PVE progress. I want to choose a mission from an agent, specify my role, then get a mission where I need to tackle these ships after they warp for a few minutes so that my npc fleet friendlys can warp in and take them out. Or jump in my logistics ship and have a mission where I need to quickly get over to an allied npc ship that is under attack and needs its shields replenished. Though this would take a good bit more thought, work, and scripting I think it could be done.

Another thing I think new players have a problem with is getting more involved in pvp if thats what that want. Finding a Corp should be easier and a few practice pvp training sessions where you duel with a more advanced ai ship would be nice.

Let's build the ultimate MMO 1 feature at a time
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/398555/page/1

"blocked nariusseldon since forever"

kaibrightwing

Novice Member

6/20/09 1:44:33 PM#13

eve is fun game, but when i'm  mining i really hate being attacked. the corp i'm in we have a system for mining so we can get the most out of it. one mines , one protects the other  hauls in a industial ship. surpiring for me i like eve more than WOW. its so hard to found a game that has everything you like in a game. For me this the closest game so far. 

kaibrightwing Xfire Miniprofile
  User Deleted
6/20/09 1:52:28 PM#14

Every MMO, where you're going to have a territorial warfare and a working playerdriven economy must be focused on PvP.

EvE Online economy works, because ships get blown up in the thousands a day. You don't loose ships in PvE usually.

The PvE-content in EvE is all about generating money, nothing more.

So either you like it, or you don't like it, but you can't change it without destroying the whole game.

Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

6/20/09 2:09:40 PM#15

Despite EVE's focus on PVP, many players spend a surpising amount of time on PVE type activities, such as ratting, mining, mission running and crafting.

I'd suggest EVE is a more balanced MMORPG than most other games out there in fact.

Sure, it lacks in the area of "quest driven content" and heralds more to the day when advancement came from "grinding" activities, however it doesn't mean it doesn't have any PVE to it.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

kvarium

Novice Member

6/20/09 2:18:45 PM#16

It's been a while since I played EVE but I think the problem with EVE's PVE is that it's tied with PVP, you can't go out and PVE without exposing yourself to PVP.  I like both but if I feel like running a complexe with friends I don't want to be bothered by PVP, the NPCs should be challenging enough.

neonwire

Novice Member

6/20/09 2:46:34 PM#17
Originally posted by avalon1000

Are you aware of how many planets there are in EVE? Apparently it has somewhere in the region of 48,000 of them. Do you seriously think CCP is going to build a seperate mmo for each and every planet in the game and then populate each one with monsters and quests? Even if they were able to devise a system that randomly generates content for each of those 48,000 planets do you seriously think it would make the game more interesting? What on earth would you do on each of those planets anyway? Go questing for a +3 laser gun? What relevance would that have to you flying a giant spaceship? All of the player skills, training, equipment and game mechanics in EVE are about flying and using spaceships........and you think they should build an entirely seperate game that has completely different rules applied to it (eg all of the skills, equipment and rules that apply to a standard land-based mmo) simply to appeal to people who dont like controlling a spaceship? Yeah sure how about they just whip that up in a few months and release it as their next expansion

I tell you what. How about SOE adds space ships to EQ2 to appeal to players who prefer space combat? When I played that game I was dismayed that I was stuck in the avatar of an elf and I couldnt climb into a spaceship and leave Norrath. I mean come on......an mmo where you're stuck on ONE planet? What were they thinking?! They could do the same to AOC, WAR, WOW, Guildwars, DAoC, Anarchy Online, Ultima Online, Runescape.......and all the other mmos where you're stuck in the body of a little man/elf/goblin/dwarf on a single planet with no spaceships.

Oh yeah! Thats right! EVE is the only decent space mmo on the market.......and you want CCP to change it to be more like the billions of other mmos? If you want to run around on land and do quests for +3 swords and boots of stamina +2 how about you go and play one of the many mmos that already offer that. You were dismayed that you couldnt leave your spaceship in EVE? How about perhaps not installing a game that is about flying spaceships in the first place?

User Deleted
6/21/09 10:09:28 AM#18
Originally posted by kvarium

It's been a while since I played EVE but I think the problem with EVE's PVE is that it's tied with PVP, you can't go out and PVE without exposing yourself to PVP.  I like both but if I feel like running a complexe with friends I don't want to be bothered by PVP, the NPCs should be challenging enough.

95% of the PvE-content in EvE is doable without exposing yourself to PvP. Stay in a NPC-corp ad do missions and complexes in total safety within high-sec.

Very easy to make 20 Million ISK per hour by just running LvL 4 missions in a 0.7-system.

You've to think about it, what the whole PvE in EvE is made for... it's only made for generating ISK, as there are no epic loot-drops and never will be.

SwampRob

Novice Member

6/21/09 10:36:42 AM#19

Lots of good points made in this thread.   I played EVE for about 3 or 4 months.   I found it very different and refreshing, but I found the open PvP not to my liking at all.    If the game allowed a method for me to be able to mine the best areas (low sec) without forcing me to team for protection or risk pvp, I'd probably sign up for life.

However, making that change to the game might make it more enjoyable for me, but it would drastically change the game for so many that they would leave.

So, EVE is, for me, unique in that it's a very well done game that I cannot really enjoy.

User Deleted
6/21/09 10:46:31 AM#20

The problem is, that if you take away the forced PvP in EvE Online, then the whole economy crashes.

4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » Search