Trending Games | Pirate101 | EverQuest | Elder Scrolls Online | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,900,425 Users Online:0
Games:751  Posts:6,269,654
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » To all of those posting to avoid this game

12 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Last Search
233 posts found
  GeezerGamer

Elite Member

8/15/14 1:06:33 PM#141
Originally posted by Soandsoso
Originally posted by GeezerGamer
Nothing anyone can post will justify online scamming where real money is involved and the publisher encourages it.

Why do you even post here. Its obvious Eve isn't the game for you. For that matter, no sand box game would be for you. Move on already.

FYI, been playing for over a year now and not once been scammed.

The fact that you have played the game for over a year and never got scammed still doesn't justify unethical behavior.

It's the sad state of the genre. The next big title has as many threads discussing issues with it's business model than issues with the game itself.

Beatnik59

Advanced Member

"Playing things I shouldn''t be playing since 1977."

8/16/14 6:20:59 PM#142
Originally posted by Phry
Originally posted by Jaxon26

I currently play Eve and have on and off for the better part of five years. 

Ultimately what is awesome about Eve is the freedom, opportunity and realistic economy. You can do virtually anything. 

What is horrible about Eve is that CCP has almost exclusively excluded any pure content updates in literally years. There have been balance passes, revamps, new items etc but there has been nothing that provides a purpose. 

They (being CCP) almost exclusively rely on player created content/drama/events. While that can be fun some of the time, it sometimes gives people no real purpose to play the game. I love the freedom that Eve allows but having to create engagement almost 100% of time or grind the same missions over and over and over again (there are only so many times you want to save the damsel) gets old.

Now people will say "Eve is what you make it" or "You have no motivation/imagination" but sometimes I want to jump into something that has been planned, thought out and executed by others. That's somewhat the purpose of paying for entertainment.  When I watch a movie to unwind it's to enjoy some leisure time vs being the one standing up all the time acting out the scenes of the movie in my living room. 

While I never want Eve to become a theme park, it needs something that people with no desire to conquer areas of space can engage themselves in. Right now for me it's just increasing my isk balance but what does another 1B mean when you already have 100B? Nothing at all. 

The trouble is, while you say you don't want Eve to become a themepark, what your describing yourself as wanting is something that is only associated with the type of gameplay that you find in a Themepark game. Maybe you need to re-evaluate what your goals in Eve online are, as it really sounds like you are drifting, and looking for the game to provide the answers for you, when all CCP do is in effect, provide the tools.

Not necessarily.  I read his post as wanting a bit of context to make him believe in the fiction.

Just because somebody is wanting a bit of context, a bit of something to help them with their investment in the fiction, doesn't mean they want a hand-held themepark.

See, the thing that I'm disappointed in, more than anything, is how there's this beautiful fictional universe, filled with detail and background, that absolutely nobody seems interested in.

Even CCP seems embarrassed with things like the Empires and the intrigue around the various organizations there...mainly because the players want EVE to be about real life drama rather than about the fiction drama.

As a result, players who want to dive into an alternate reality don't really have a place in EVE...it all degenerates into 4Chan with stunning graphics.

Damn shame, too, because it was beautiful--artistically speaking--and thought-provoking from a background perspective.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

User Deleted
8/16/14 6:30:18 PM#143
Originally posted by Beatnik59

Ultimately what is awesome about Eve is the freedom, opportunity and realistic economy. You can do virtually anything. 

What is horrible about Eve is that CCP has almost exclusively excluded any pure content updates in literally years. There have been balance passes, revamps, new items etc but there has been nothing that provides a purpose. 

They (being CCP) almost exclusively rely on player created content/drama/events. While that can be fun some of the time, it sometimes gives people no real purpose to play the game. I love the freedom that Eve allows but having to create engagement almost 100% of time or grind the same missions over and over and over again (there are only so many times you want to save the damsel) gets old.

Now people will say "Eve is what you make it" or "You have no motivation/imagination" but sometimes I want to jump into something that has been planned, thought out and executed by others. That's somewhat the purpose of paying for entertainment.  When I watch a movie to unwind it's to enjoy some leisure time vs being the one standing up all the time acting out the scenes of the movie in my living room. 

While I never want Eve to become a theme park, it needs something that people with no desire to conquer areas of space can engage themselves in. Right now for me it's just increasing my isk balance but what does another 1B mean when you already have 100B? Nothing at all. 

The trouble is, while you say you don't want Eve to become a themepark, what your describing yourself as wanting is something that is only associated with the type of gameplay that you find in a Themepark game. Maybe you need to re-evaluate what your goals in Eve online are, as it really sounds like you are drifting, and looking for the game to provide the answers for you, when all CCP do is in effect, provide the tools.

Not necessarily.  I read his post as wanting a bit of context to make him believe in the fiction.

Just because somebody is wanting a bit of context, a bit of something to help them with their investment in the fiction, doesn't mean they want a hand-held themepark.

See, the thing that I'm disappointed in, more than anything, is how there's this beautiful fictional universe, filled with detail and background, that absolutely nobody seems interested in.

Even CCP seems embarrassed with things like the Empires and the intrigue around the various organizations there...mainly because the players want EVE to be about real life drama rather than about the fiction drama.

As a result, players who want to dive into an alternate reality don't really have a place in EVE...it all degenerates into 4Chan with stunning graphics.

Damn shame, too, because it was beautiful--artistically speaking--and thought-provoking from a background perspective.

Hyperbole towards the end ruined it... CVA and Providence bloc is all that needs to be said though if pressed you could also look at the EVE in-game news feed and see RPers doing their thing quite happily (hunting down rogues or supporting them, running blockades, aiding relief missions,etc, all events guided though not all with a fixed ending).

Calfis

Advanced Member

8/16/14 11:27:41 PM#144

I think early in the game you saw much more players taking part in EVE's backstory or making corps that support the various fictional NPC factions in the game because they wanted a part in the lore. At some point in EVE's development the player made factions started to overshadow the fictional ones and it pretty much became a world where the devs put us in here and we create the stories because the human stories are so much more dramatic and interesting than the NPC ones.

NPCs dont get mad, or want to give you some payback, people do. That's the identity that's been shaped over the years and I think the player base and the devs thought it was the best possible direction to go and no other game was doing it. That's possibly the main draw of the game too, that it is its own world that doesn't have the kind of rules the real world does or even other games.

The freedom of the game makes you keep logging in and the social aspect of it in terms of corps and alliances you have loyalty or pride towards. There is a real feeling of pride if you are in a decent group that everyone in the game has heard the name of, alternatively when you are starting out and you are with a group of nobodies it gives you something to aspire towards. EVE isn't a solo game that just dishes you NPC content with other people in the background, if that's the way you try to play it then you are pretty much missing the point of the game.

Its also the only game with a permanent kill-loss record which is pretty neat, not just for the hilarious 4chan-like comments on big ticket losses but also because it allows you to do research on other players to assess how dangerous they might be.

Beatnik59

Advanced Member

"Playing things I shouldn''t be playing since 1977."

8/20/14 7:56:30 PM#145
Originally posted by Calfis

I think early in the game you saw much more players taking part in EVE's backstory or making corps that support the various fictional NPC factions in the game because they wanted a part in the lore. At some point in EVE's development the player made factions started to overshadow the fictional ones and it pretty much became a world where the devs put us in here and we create the stories because the human stories are so much more dramatic and interesting than the NPC ones.

NPCs dont get mad, or want to give you some payback, people do. That's the identity that's been shaped over the years and I think the player base and the devs thought it was the best possible direction to go and no other game was doing it. That's possibly the main draw of the game too, that it is its own world that doesn't have the kind of rules the real world does or even other games.

The freedom of the game makes you keep logging in and the social aspect of it in terms of corps and alliances you have loyalty or pride towards. There is a real feeling of pride if you are in a decent group that everyone in the game has heard the name of, alternatively when you are starting out and you are with a group of nobodies it gives you something to aspire towards. EVE isn't a solo game that just dishes you NPC content with other people in the background, if that's the way you try to play it then you are pretty much missing the point of the game.

Its also the only game with a permanent kill-loss record which is pretty neat, not just for the hilarious 4chan-like comments on big ticket losses but also because it allows you to do research on other players to assess how dangerous they might be.

Some of the player base over the years, at least.  The loudest players over the years, at least.

But I'm thinking about all of those folks over the years who wanted a true, virtual reality where they could delve into a compelling fiction that comes from mature motives.  I read on Massively that roughly 90% of new players quit within six months...apparently the player-made environment you all established appeals to 10% of folks, but not the rest.  Fair enough.  You are what you are.  But what you have created, as a community, is too boring and typical of the jocular online culture they see in games today, and folks like me just don't find that interesting.

Can you see, perhaps, why some people might think that Goon vs BoB drama is lame, and how Amarr vs Matar drama is more compelling?  I mean, Goon vs BoB drama is just a bunch of manchildish prattle, when you get right down to it.  Eroica1 BS is just...sad.  It doesn't show how great, creative and thought-provoking you all are.  It just looks like a sad group of folks who have no imagination or personality.

I mean, if you are going to get all worked up over online BS, it might as well be BS that's compelling and embodies values that are greater than yourselves.  That's why the EVE fiction is important, at least for me.  Because SomethingAwful and powerclan values really don't stand for much, other than "look at how cool we are" and "ROFL."

I want something more interesting than that.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

iridescence

Elite Member

8/20/14 9:18:29 PM#146

Can you see, perhaps, why some people might think that Goon vs BoB drama is lame, and how Amarr vs Matar drama is more compelling?  I mean, Goon vs BoB drama is just a bunch of manchildish prattle, when you get right down to it.  Eroica1 BS is just...sad.  It doesn't show how great, creative and thought-provoking you all are.  It just looks like a sad group of folks who have no imagination or personality.

I mean, if you are going to get all worked up over online BS, it might as well be BS that's compelling and embodies values that are greater than yourselves.  That's why the EVE fiction is important, at least for me.  Because SomethingAwful and powerclan values really don't stand for much, other than "look at how cool we are" and "ROFL."

This isn't just an EVE problem. It's an internet problem. All the kind of utopian dreams of what the internet could do (of which I think early MMOs were a part) tend to go out the window when 4chan and SomethingAwful and the like get involved in anything. Stuff like EVE doesn't create the cesspool it just reflects the majority of the internet back at itself.

How do you fix it? How do you socially engineer these people to be decent online despite their every instinct which seems to be to the contrary while still giving them freedom to actually build their own stories or drive the narration in the ones you've created? It may be impossible but if some dev figures it out they're going to have a great game .

Matticus75

Novice Member

8/20/14 9:22:54 PM#147
I use EvE online as a perfect example if how Capitalism looks when no government regulations in place
  Horusra

Hard Core Member

8/20/14 9:40:41 PM#148
Originally posted by iridescence

This isn't just an EVE problem. It's an internet problem. All the kind of utopian dreams of what the internet could do (of which I think early MMOs were a part) tend to go out the window when 4chan and SomethingAwful and the like get involved in anything. Stuff like EVE doesn't create the cesspool it just reflects the majority of the internet back at itself.

How do you fix it? How do you socially engineer these people to be decent online despite their every instinct which seems to be to the contrary while still giving them freedom to actually build their own stories or drive the narration in the ones you've created? It may be impossible but if some dev figures it out they're going to have a great game .

Only way is the way real world societies do it.  Punishments have to be worse or perceived as worse than the benefit of the action.

Mr.SeriousGuy

Apprentice Member

8/20/14 9:58:51 PM#149

i am not bashing eve for being what it is but i will say that according to multiple sources they have lost a lot of players this past year and  that things like star citizen and elite dangerous will probably be more appealing to many players since you get direct control of the ships .

as far as the community you would have to get that new people don't stand a chance and that long time players are untouchable if your new . so camping spots kills the game . you can say thats what the game is meant to be and i am not arguing but do you think new people want to be farmed for others amusement ? 

Burtzum

Advanced Member

8/21/14 4:46:28 PM#150

I've been playing on an off since 2004, having between 1 and 4 accounts subscribed at any given time.  I'm more or less a "solo" player.  I usually play on 1 or 2 characters at a time and chat with people in various channels, but I don't often actually fleet up with other people.  Fleeting with other players is too much waiting around and herding cats.  I spend the vast majority of my time in hisec.  I have never been griefed, suicide ganked, scammed, or continuously harassed by anyone.  I have a hard time believing the posts that claim that these sorts of things are standard experiences in EVE.  It only becomes standard experience for people who fail to learn how to play the game, and proceed to throw a fit over it, I suspect.  I suspect that people posting these "don't play EVE!" horror tales on this forum actually invited abuse through their actions somehow... being mouthy in local chat for instance, after things don't go their way, instead of trying to learn from their mistakes. 

EVE is simply not forgiving.  If you are an idiot, then yeah, you probably will not have a fun time.  If you have a modicum of critical thinking ability and the ability to learn and plan ahead, you will probably be fine.  It's people who have this bizarre sense of entitlement and refusal to learn how the game works that end up getting burned.  Sorry, this isn't a single player game.  You can't just grind mobs and asteroids 24/7 and expect to be left alone by the other players.  Some people will want to interact with you in a way you may not like.  Hopefully you have already taken the steps necessary to thwart them.  You are only a victim in EVE if you choose to be one.  If you just derp around expecting the game to take care of you 24/7... well... this brings us back to learn how to play the fricken game!

CODE is a joke.  It's easy enough to fly a properly tanked Procurer or Skiff and give them a hard time.  Goons in hisec are a joke.  Its Hulkageddon?  Gee, maybe fly something other than a Hulk this week?  Duh.  They're burning Jita today?  Oh no!  You have to go one day without visiting one of the many trade hubs, maybe?  Duh.  Jita is an overcrowded cesspit every friggen day anyway, you don't exactly hang out there all day sitting in front of the 4-4 station do you?  Common sense, people.

Don't expect EVE to play like Everquest or World of Warcraft.  It's its own game.  Learn the rules and you'll be fine.

Ikonoclastia

Novice Member

8/21/14 10:17:08 PM#151
Originally posted by Prokaryotik

I understand where you're coming from, I truly do. But you have to realize that the world of New Eden that CCP has created is supposed to be an emulation of a completely dog eat dog society where almost anything can happen. For all intents and purposes you should be happy there are even Hi-sec areas in my opinion.

I have played this game on and off here and there for some time and I am by no means an expert in any way shape or form. But what I absolutely love about this game is that it truly is a vitrual world: one server, go anywhere, do anything. It is trying to portray a futuristic society in space where there is no government. Just those who may or may not be your friends.

I understand you have to pay a subscription, I understand that you've put a lot of time and effort into the game, but this is something that they make you very well aware of and is something that makes the experience something that is truly unique. That fear of griefing, that fear of losing everything. But that's what makes it awesome, the fact that can actually happen, anytime, anywhere, and if you can't handle that then this game isn't for you. Can't you guys imagine that if a world actually did exist like New Eden in space there would be those griefers, those pirates, those scammers? That's what our world is like believe it or not. Just most of us don't see it as we live in a priveleged society where we play video games all day... It's sick but its an accurate portrayal of what that society would be like (I think at least). So CCP, please don't change it. Don't corrupt this immaculate world of no holds barred, deception, profiteering, piracy, backstabbing.. ugh I could go on.

I don't recommend people play because of the metagame, because of the bias CCP shows towards certain elements of the game, because of the inability to post on the forums due to the censorship of 'special' ISD associated with alliances / corporations in game and because of CCP's inability to fix its tragically broken sovereign system, ease and low cost of suicide ganking against very costly targets and CCP's inability to prevent out of game harassment by players in game.  

Another issue which is worth noting are the developer run events which disproportionately favour certain alliances with massive drops worth hundreds of billions of isk, many of which have current and former devs as leaders or high ranking officers.  

Due to the above EvE is not worth paying money for as its far to skewed in favour of certain entities in game.  The gameplay itself, were it properly managed is a lot of fun, which is why I stuck with it for 11 years.

Infinity Ziona

Ianb4all

Novice Member

8/25/14 11:14:20 PM#152

I have played this game since 2006 - i took a break last year for about a year and came back only to play for one month before cancelling my sub again!!

All the RICH old skool players wardec constantly in hi sec !

the scams are the same as they been for years - but it was the war deccing that drove me nuts- every single corp I tried - every single one of them had a wardec by some "russian" major corp with very old pvp players in it!

This game  is now not a cat and mouse game but more a Lion and mouse game....theres old skool versus the newish players!!

Every single person i spoke to or have spoken to in the last 2 years that has tried this game has quit after a few months as the novelty wears off and they realiase that the majority of players left are the old school veterans who go round been the schoolyard bullys ruining the fun for everyone else as thats the only way they get their socks off these days!

Eve online is dead!!! yeah it has a steady 29-40k subscribers but those are the last hangouts and their multiple alts ( was in a lowsec corp when i got back- and  they where part of a massive alliance in  rented space- all I can say is the amount of alts these guys had was insane- corp I was in had around  20 active players and each one of those guys had 3-4 alts - not to mention the alliance  as saw many of them with multiple alts as well)

Lets not mention Goonswarm and the russian allaince who now own most of the game- sit on the so called players council as well as have staff members from ccp themselves in goonswarm.

I loved eve but its been damaged now beyond repair and new players notice this 1-3 months in and leave!!!

Our only hope is that Star citizen turns out to be as equally as good as eve was!

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/26/14 6:08:27 AM#153

Originally posted by Ianb4all

Eve online is dead!!! yeah it has a steady 29-40k subscribers

You mistake concurent users for subsribers. EVE West should have roughly around 350k subs at least. EVE is stagnating for sure but it is hardly dead.

Agent_Joseph

Advanced Member

8/26/14 8:45:10 AM#154
Nothing on horizon what can replace EVE .

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Netspook

Advanced Member

8/26/14 8:54:05 AM#155

I have no problems with seeing why people are warning others about this game. I tried this game a few years back, it was a real turn-off.

First, it's the most newbie-UNfriendly community I've ever encountered in any game.

Second, it's all about ganking and griefing.

Personally, I think it's a miracle that this trash still lives on.

Krematory

Apprentice Member

MMOHOLIC

8/26/14 9:38:29 AM#156
Originally posted by Netspook

I have no problems with seeing why people are warning others about this game. I tried this game a few years back, it was a real turn-off.

First, it's the most newbie-UNfriendly community I've ever encountered in any game.

And somehow, I have fun in 0.0, not ganking, but actually fighting other people, in one of the most successful coalitions, who are absolutely newb friendly and will help you pay for your lost ships and teach you everything you need to know.

Whether you realize this is a social game or not, it's not the game's fault. You did it wrong.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Gdemami

Elite Member

8/26/14 9:42:33 AM#157

Originally posted by Netspook

And the game not just "live on", it is pretty successful.

Perhaps, your individual experience is an exception or maybe you are even flat out wrong with your gross assumptions....

Betaguy

Hard Core Member

Some folks are like Slinkies, totally useless but great fun to watch when pushed down stairs

8/26/14 9:45:15 AM#158
Originally posted by Prokaryotik

I understand where you're coming from, I truly do. But you have to realize that the world of New Eden that CCP has created is supposed to be an emulation of a completely dog eat dog society where almost anything can happen. For all intents and purposes you should be happy there are even Hi-sec areas in my opinion.

I have played this game on and off here and there for some time and I am by no means an expert in any way shape or form. But what I absolutely love about this game is that it truly is a vitrual world: one server, go anywhere, do anything. It is trying to portray a futuristic society in space where there is no government. Just those who may or may not be your friends.

I understand you have to pay a subscription, I understand that you've put a lot of time and effort into the game, but this is something that they make you very well aware of and is something that makes the experience something that is truly unique. That fear of griefing, that fear of losing everything. But that's what makes it awesome, the fact that can actually happen, anytime, anywhere, and if you can't handle that then this game isn't for you. Can't you guys imagine that if a world actually did exist like New Eden in space there would be those griefers, those pirates, those scammers? That's what our world is like believe it or not. Just most of us don't see it as we live in a priveleged society where we play video games all day... It's sick but its an accurate portrayal of what that society would be like (I think at least). So CCP, please don't change it. Don't corrupt this immaculate world of no holds barred, deception, profiteering, piracy, backstabbing.. ugh I could go on.

Soon as a few better space sims are released EVE will be closing the doors anyways.  The engine is outdated and cannot keep up. The only ones left will be the ones with a lot of money invested.

Krematory

Apprentice Member

MMOHOLIC

8/26/14 9:59:14 AM#159
Originally posted by Betaguy

Soon as a few better space sims are released EVE will be closing the doors anyways.  The engine is outdated and cannot keep up. The only ones left will be the ones with a lot of money invested.

Yeah, like when all those better themparks where released and EverQuest closed the doors.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

Agent_Joseph

Advanced Member

8/26/14 10:11:24 AM#160
Originally posted by Betaguy

here is your problem with this game, EVE have nothing with space sim genre , it is sandbox mmoRPG  focused on players interaction.

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

12 Pages First « 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » Last Search