Trending Games | ArcheAge | World of Warcraft | Destiny | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,856,689 Users Online:0
Games:740  Posts:6,241,450
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Things you have heard about Eve..

17 posts found
  SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

OP  8/20/14 10:09:07 AM#1

Somewhat like UO many people like to refer to Eve in forum discussions. What are some of the interesting things you have heard about Eve on fourms?

Here is a taste of what I have read

Eve is a sandbox

Eve is not a sandbox

Eve is the only sandbox

Single server PVP MMOs are not possible (oops kinda are possible)

Darkfall is an exact copy of Eve except in a fantasy setting.

CCP are indies

CCP are not indies.

Correlation does not imply causation

Kahrek

Advanced Member

8/20/14 11:27:10 AM#2
[mod edit]

It is also designed to keep people with very narrow view and people without the intellectual capacity to understand the concept of the game out. I would much rather be stuck with the smarter scum of the universe than the universal entitled crybabies that permeate the MMOG culture of most other games.

I played EVE for a good 7 years and 95% of the people I met are great people who understood the workings of the EVEverse and embraced it. We laughed at people who got scammed in corp and alliance and they laughed with us. We scammed other people in the game it is part of the culture.

CCP has never hidden that fact that their game is brutal. It is out there for all to see and choose to play or not accordingly. I get it, EVE is not for everybody as a matter of fact it is for a small minority but the universe is what kept me in the game so long. The fact that I was responsible for myself and my actions could have consequences made me think of everything I did carefully. No other game I have tried has done that for me and I have tried many games.

Just my 2 ISK worth,

Kahrek Laume.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

8/20/14 11:35:41 AM#3
Originally posted by SEANMCAD

Somewhat like UO many people like to refer to Eve in forum discussions. What are some of the interesting things you have heard about Eve on fourms?

Here is a taste of what I have read

Eve is a sandbox

Eve is not a sandbox

Eve is the only sandbox

Single server PVP MMOs are not possible (oops kinda are possible)

Darkfall is an exact copy of Eve except in a fantasy setting.

CCP are indies

CCP are not indies.

My favorite saying about the game is, "EVE Online is the best game you'll never play" and it's true. Many of the friends and family as well as community I've played with don't actually play EVE. They simply log in queue skills and wait for said skills to finish. 

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Neobloodline3d

Advanced Member

8/20/14 11:43:59 AM#4
Originally posted by ryvendark
The biggest difference between eve and a prison is eve is voluntary. Both are designed to keep the very worst humanity has to offer away from everyone else.

Pretty much this.  It's like watching 10th graders giggle after they knock over a 5th graders milk at the lunch table.  Boredom has a way of bringing out the best in folks.

Mtibbs1989

Elite Member

8/20/14 12:18:36 PM#5
Originally posted by Kahrek
The biggest difference between eve and a prison is eve is voluntary. Both are designed to keep the very worst humanity has to offer away from everyone else.

It is also designed to keep people with very narrow view and people without the intellectual capacity to understand the concept of the game out. I would much rather be stuck with the smarter scum of the universe than the universal entitled crybabies that permeate the MMOG culture of most other games.

I played EVE for a good 7 years and 95% of the people I met are great people who understood the workings of the EVEverse and embraced it. We laughed at people who got scammed in corp and alliance and they laughed with us. We scammed other people in the game it is part of the culture.

CCP has never hidden that fact that their game is brutal. It is out there for all to see and choose to play or not accordingly. I get it, EVE is not for everybody as a matter of fact it is for a small minority but the universe is what kept me in the game so long. The fact that I was responsible for myself and my actions could have consequences made me think of everything I did carefully. No other game I have tried has done that for me and I have tried many games.

Just my 2 ISK worth,

Kahrek Laume.

Eh, I personally believe that EVE is nothing more than a cesspool that breeds scammers. 

The game is not new user friendly. Last time I checked on the game in order for someone to hit max stats it would take ~70 years. I might be off by 5-10 years.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Bladestrom

Elite Member

8/20/14 12:23:38 PM#6
Lol 'intellectual capacity'. Ever is not difficult to master technically. I challenge the intellectual capacity of people who cannot differentiate between open world non consensual pvp and griefing.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3

Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

8/20/14 1:07:18 PM#7
every time when I am stop play Eve ,I am back ,have no idea why I am back every time

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

Horusra

Elite Member

8/20/14 1:27:32 PM#8
I just can not activate my 4 accounts anymore cause it no longer offers what I want.  The PvE side is horrible.
  Agent_Joseph

Hard Core Member

8/21/14 10:47:40 AM#9
Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

Eh, I personally believe that EVE is nothing more than a cesspool that breeds scammers. 

The game is not new user friendly. Last time I checked on the game in order for someone to hit max stats it would take ~70 years. I might be off by 5-10 years.

why you should train all skills at lvl 5,there is not sense for that ?   max stats?!? ,cmon ,it is not theme park mmo

Seems you have no idea what is sand box and players driven MMORPG ,

Game is very friendly for new players if  EVE is their first mmo ,coz it is different game and mmo veterans must drop all what they learned in other mmo's.Or they ll run out with baby cry.

only EVE is real MMO...but I am impressive with TSW

SEANMCAD

Spotlight Poster

OP  8/21/14 10:54:50 AM#10
Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

why you should train all skills at lvl 5,there is not sense for that ?   max stats?!? ,cmon ,it is not theme park mmo

Seems you have no idea what is sand box and players driven MMORPG ,

Game is very friendly for new players if  EVE is their first mmo ,coz it is different game and mmo veterans must drop all what they learned in other mmo's.Or they ll run out with baby cry.

Corrections for  Mtibbs1989:

20 years to max all skills however keep these items in mind.

1. This includes being able to fly ALL ships from ALL species. You dont need that and its not even helpful.
  2. Level 5 unless required for another skill is a huge waste of time.
disagreements for Agent_Joseph:
I dont think the leveling system has anything to do with viablity of Eve as a sandbox in this case

Correlation does not imply causation

zzax

Hard Core Member

8/21/14 11:06:57 AM#11
"EVE Online is the best game you'll never play"

This. I tried, I'm coming back all the time, but I cant, I cant stand this combat.

CrazKanuk

Elite Member

8/21/14 11:08:54 AM#12
Originally posted by Neobloodline3d

Pretty much this.  It's like watching 10th graders giggle after they knock over a 5th graders milk at the lunch table.  Boredom has a way of bringing out the best in folks.

Pretty much. Most isn't noteworthy, but I love this. I played a while back and it does really grow thin. I think there is a LOT of things that EVE does REALLY well, but I think that the self-governance might actually hurt the game more than it helps it. Either way, until they actually start losing subs, I doubt you'll see changes. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
----------------

strawhat0981

Advanced Member

I want an awesome sci-fi game that is a sandbox...give it to me!!!!

8/21/14 11:21:55 AM#13
Originally posted by zzax
"EVE Online is the best game you'll never play"

This. I tried, I'm coming back all the time, but I cant, I cant stand this combat.

Eridanix

Elite Member

As One With Darkness

8/21/14 11:47:49 AM#14

I started in Ultima Online and my career has been one of PK'ing, dangerous skirmishes and full-loot PvP. And since then, I'm wandering thru games looking for something interesting.

Tried EVE several times; but it had not the magic. That simple.

It is a question of fangs.

Calfis

Apprentice Member

8/21/14 10:28:16 PM#15
 Last time I checked on the game in order for someone to hit max stats it would take ~70 years. I might be off by 5-10 years.

Yes, because the entire purpose of a game is to get you on that hamster wheel to hit max stats.

ace5572

Advanced Member

8/21/14 10:39:56 PM#16

Just my 2 ISK worth,

Kahrek Laume.

I think you just proved his point with your post.

ace5572

Advanced Member

8/21/14 10:42:15 PM#17
To answer the OP's post though - the main thing i've heard and experienced in the 2 or 3 hours i spent trying to get into EVE - is that EVE is a spreadsheet with a screensaver. And i'd agree.