Trending Games | Landmark | Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade | Star Citizen | Guild Wars 2

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,920,307 Users Online:0
Games:760  Posts:6,311,255
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » Worst community by a country mile

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search
178 posts found
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

9/05/13 9:27:27 AM#41
Originally posted by Malcanis

Perhaps I can lay the OP's concerns to rest with a glimpse into my normal daily routine. I've been playing EVE for 7 years and I'm even on the CSM, so I should be the archetypal community member

23:00 And so to bed.

So as you can see OP, we're just normal ordinary people living normal ordinary lives, passionate about playing a game we enjoy

Excellent post Malcanis, thanks for sharing it.  But you left out the most important task of the day, working with the CCP Devs (who are all secretly members of Goonswarm) to make sure the game is totally designed in their favor.

I miss this game.  Despite the naysayers, i found it to be in fact one of the best communities out there, all a matter of how you approach it and interact with others.

Unlike most MMO's out there, people are free to be what they want to be, and in some cases, total arses is their preferred play style.

But there are so many great people in EVE as well, and I've flown with so many of them over the 4.5 years in EVE......

The trick is, you can either play the role of a victim, or decide to take matters into hand and forge your own destiny, it's really all up to you to decide.

And no, you cannot legislate fairness in EVE, you learn to carve that out for yourself and others.

What a great universe.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Salio69

Novice Member

9/05/13 2:54:01 PM#42

I have to agree with the op on how bad the community has become on this game. especially in public chats such as mining chat. i've been playing this game since 2005 and i've seen a big difference from when i first started. at the same time though i've been playing mmos since the late 90s and i've seen the over all trend of how the mmo community in general has gone from mainly being a bunch of nerds to a bunch of trolls. since the internet has become so easily accessible, the same trolls you would normally get away from in the 90s are the same trolls now on the internet doing what they do best.

the weird part is that they are so used to it, they dont even know they are doing it. i reported my very first player in eve last week, after 8 years. i had just logged in, and bam. there was a message on chat that said "F*** ***** people." aka, people of my skin color. he was warned by ccp and for the next two days he kept on and on how he is some innocent victim in chat.

is eve the worst community? nah, league of legend still holds that title. has it become worse since its launch? oh yea most definitely. but in EVE's defense, the internet in general has become more of a toilet bowl.

uplink4242

Apprentice Member

9/05/13 5:56:40 PM#43

I dunno why people think the community is bad in eve - people in general are very helpful and mature. Getting blown up/scammed/awoxed has nothing to do with community, don't take things so personal. It's like complaining the community in dota is bad because they keep farming you over and over - it's nonsense and part of the game.

Also, I found the community in dota slightly worse than eve. Then again I might be biased since any community looks nice to me compared to another game I played  called hon - the epithome of cancer of all gaming communities.

Malcanis

Apprentice Member

"A very special kind of stupidity"

9/06/13 3:59:51 AM#44

"I got my ship blown up and no one would agree with me that it wasn't fair and it wasn't my fault therefore EVE has the worst community"

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Mothanos

Hard Core Member

9/06/13 4:14:12 AM#45

Maybe its you ?
When i started Eve Online any questions i had were anwered.
There were people that assisted me constandly.
When i joined CFC and had my 1st kill i was showered in isk hundres of millions of isk, i think around 2 billion lol

Eve Online has the best community out of every damn mmo i have ever played in 15 years.
Do they have trolls ? offcourse wich mmo doesnt ?
Do they have angry frustrated little kids ? offcourse wich mmo doesnt ?
Does Eve has the oldest average playerbase in any mmo ? 1000% yes.
Also Eve is the most hardcore mmo ever created, you can lose everything in a hearthbeat.
So naturaly it attracts the most "hardcore" people, yet i remember my 1st steps into Eve where i was ganked in my Vexor in Hisec, the ganker gave my 10 times thw worth of my ship back.

Dunno what stuff i can add, but i have a totaly diffrent expirience then you when playing Eve o7

Teala

Spotlight Poster

"Really officer, they're herbs."

9/06/13 6:11:52 AM#46
EVE Online is like any online game in the sense that all of them have their share of douche bags.

Electro057

Novice Member

9/06/13 6:15:55 AM#47
Originally posted by Teala
EVE Online is like any online game in the sense that all of them have their share of douche bags.

Pretty much this, Eve samples like any game from real life...In that it draws it's population from that of the real world. Sadly most people are douchebags, moreso when they can get away with it and there are no consequences. Guess what, there are hardly any consequences for being an asshole in a virtual world. So that douchebag that just shoved you and told you to watch where you're walking? Yep.....

--Custom Rig: Maker's Forge---
3.0 Ghz AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor (Six Cores, 3.0 Ghz Each)
8 Gigs DDR3
Radeon HD 6990 4 gigs of dedicated ram.
Windows 7 Ultimate

Malcanis

Apprentice Member

9/06/13 10:06:03 AM#48
Originally posted by Electro057
Originally posted by Teala

Pretty much this, Eve samples like any game from real life...In that it draws it's population from that of the real world. Sadly most people are douchebags, moreso when they can get away with it and there are no consequences. Guess what, there are hardly any consequences for being an asshole in a virtual world. So that douchebag that just shoved you and told you to watch where you're walking? Yep.....

Ever heard the old saying "If you meet an asshole during your day, well too bad, you encountered an asshole. but if everyone you meet all day is an asshole, then the asshole is you."?

Hanthos

Apprentice Member

PROUD P2P Elitist...

9/06/13 10:16:44 AM#49
I agree that there are some pretty obnoxious people in Eve, but in it's defense, that's part of what makes Eve, well, Eve. Yes, the community can be horrible, but that just adds to the flavor that is the Eve universe. While it wouldn't be as readily acceptable in many other games, I find it to just be part and parcel of the online 'life' that one deals with when playing it. I'm hoping that the meta-games won't be as ruthless, but I would like to see some of the cloak and dagger/backstabbing/paranoia/untrustworthiness make it's way into Star Citizen.
  Hariken

Elite Member

9/13/13 9:47:20 AM#50
I played this game after Earth & Beyond got shut down because my guild went over there. I lasted about a year and finally quit. It will always have a bad community because of the way the game is. This is a game without rules just about. I never met any good people outside my guild in that game. I would never go back to that nightmare of a game.
  Kyleran

Bitter Vet™

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

9/13/13 10:00:18 AM#51
Originally posted by Hariken
I played this game after Earth & Beyond got shut down because my guild went over there. I lasted about a year and finally quit. It will always have a bad community because of the way the game is. This is a game without rules just about. I never met any good people outside my guild in that game. I would never go back to that nightmare of a game.

This is your mistake, EVE is a virtual world that more closely mimics human behavior in the real world, (especially in the absence of law)  than a controlled game like environment.

We're all just 3 days of starvation from total anarchy and when our infrastructure collapses you get places like Somalia.

EVE's sort of like that, but unlike you've I found much good in the EVE community, heck I even flew next to and fought with the Goons as it suited my alliances purposes.

But they were still arses....  no doubt about that.

Arrogant, Condescending, Dismissive, Elitist, "Meany", you speak as if these are bad things?
"People can do with their money what they want. But... that doesn't make it smart" - COORS
"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Umbrood

Advanced Member

9/13/13 10:25:57 AM#52

hundreds of thousands of people play EVE. The very large majority of them don't scam. Beware of generalising.

http://themittani.com/features/big-lie-fallacies-demonisation

Are you the same Malcanis that wrote that article?

I liked that a lot, not just from an EVE perspective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Deleted
9/13/13 10:39:56 AM#53
Originally posted by free2play

The thing with EVE is, somewhere over a ten year span, somewhere in the first few years really the decision was made that because EVE Online is a 'cold, harsh, universe' that meant people were duty bound to be pricks of the first order. Each time someone pulls a dirty stunt, the next guy has to one up it and so it goes.

Yes, OP the EVE online community is being lead by some of the strangest specimens our species has to offer. Because they are able to rob you of so much of your time in moments, it is a detriment to players of EVE Online and it will be the poison that prevents EVE Online from ever growing out of its toy smashing, kindergarten level game play.

hundreds of thousands of people play EVE. The very large majority of them don't scam. Beware of generalising.

Beware of inflating numbers also.

vonryan123

Novice Member

9/13/13 10:40:27 AM#54
Sad to say I have to agree. I have played eve for 6 years solid now and have seen the community go to total shit over the years...The amount of liars thief's and scammers is insane now everywhere you go ...To the guy who said there are great help channels ....I was not only wardecked for asking a question I needed help with but also had a 88mil bounty placed on my head for for fun...I often wonder why I still play eve let alone mmos at all. Like I said in another post I miss the days when people who acted like !@#$%% were banned shunned or black balled. 

vonryan123

Novice Member

9/13/13 10:48:16 AM#55

The thing with EVE is, somewhere over a ten year span, somewhere in the first few years really the decision was made that because EVE Online is a 'cold, harsh, universe' that meant people were duty bound to be pricks of the first order. Each time someone pulls a dirty stunt, the next guy has to one up it and so it goes.

Yes, OP the EVE online community is being lead by some of the strangest specimens our species has to offer. Because they are able to rob you of so much of your time in moments, it is a detriment to players of EVE Online and it will be the poison that prevents EVE Online from ever growing out of its toy smashing, kindergarten level game play.

posting a link from one of the biggest asshats eve has ever known is not going to help your claim and to boot eve has about 40-50k online at any given time based on that alone "Hundreds of thousands" is more then a bit off not to mention I know more people in eve with 10-15 accounts then people with one account ....there might be 50k people playing with 2-10 accounts each hardly hundreds of thousands.

User Deleted
9/13/13 10:57:23 AM#56
Originally posted by vonryan123
Sad to say I have to agree. I have played eve for 6 years solid now and have seen the community go to total shit over the years...The amount of liars thief's and scammers is insane now everywhere you go ...To the guy who said there are great help channels ....I was not only wardecked for asking a question I needed help with but also had a 88mil bounty placed on my head for for fun...I often wonder why I still play eve let alone mmos at all. Like I said in another post I miss the days when people who acted like !@#$%% were banned shunned or black balled. 

Communities are responsible for themselves. Players are too apathetic these days to drive community health. Blame it on the whiny, thumb-sucking, entitlement players.

If you are in a PUG and someone is being a jerk, kick them and wait for another. But players won't do that anymore because they are too busy rushing through content and any time is wasted time in their opinion.  "OMG, I have to do this 20 more times because I need the coin to get my sparkly pony mount or my look-at-me wizard staff."

I miss the early days of UO when an asshole player would be ignored and treated as KoS by the rest of the community. They quickly disappeared.

Chram

Novice Member

9/13/13 12:08:11 PM#57

posting a link from one of the biggest asshats eve has ever known is not going to help your claim and to boot eve has about 40-50k online at any given time based on that alone "Hundreds of thousands" is more then a bit off not to mention I know more people in eve with 10-15 accounts then people with one account ....there might be 50k people playing with 2-10 accounts each hardly hundreds of thousands.

The article is from Malcanis, the very guy you are replying to. Actually reading the article may have a beneficial effect for you, it deals with the same kind of over-generalisations you are flinging around. 

Also, the last numbers straight from CCP were over 500 000 subscribed accounts. 10% online of that at a given time is a perfectly normal number. EVE has an older demographic, people have families, lives, they don't all play 23.5/7.

Malcanis

Apprentice Member

9/14/13 6:38:47 AM#58
Originally posted by Umbrood

Are you the same Malcanis that wrote that article?

I liked that a lot, not just from an EVE perspective.

Indeed I am. Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wrote a few others as well.

Malcanis

Apprentice Member

9/14/13 6:48:27 AM#59
Originally posted by Chram

The article is from Malcanis, the very guy you are replying to. Actually reading the article may have a beneficial effect for you, it deals with the same kind of over-generalisations you are flinging around. 

Also, the last numbers straight from CCP were over 500 000 subscribed accounts. 10% online of that at a given time is a perfectly normal number. EVE has an older demographic, people have families, lives, they don't all play 23.5/7.

From an authorial perspective, the most entertaining aspect of that piece is that the peole who need to read it the most are the loudest in their refusals to do so.

Muke

Hard Core Member

9/14/13 7:00:27 AM#60
Originally posted by Doogiehowser
Originally posted by Zarak11
Play some DotA then,ul see the difference.

DOTA communities are like little angels compared to wretched people that play EVE.

No, EVE is a game about using your brains, the ones that complain about the communities here are the ones that got ganked, griefed, scammed because they didnt have the devs holding their hands and hug them when the tear bucket started filling.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

9 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 » Last Search