Trending Games | Guild Wars 2 | Shards | World of Warcraft | WildStar

Network:  FPSguru RTSguru
Login:  Password:   Remember?  
Show Quick Gamelist Jump to Random Game
Members:2,905,467 Users Online:0
Games:757  Posts:6,294,489
CCP Games | Official Site
MMORPG | Genre:Sci-Fi | Status:Final  (rel 05/06/03)  | Pub:CCP Games
PVP:Yes | Distribution:Download,Retail | Retail Price:$19.99 | Pay Type:Subscription
System Req: PC Mac Linux | ESRB:TOut of date info? Let us know!

EVE Online Forum » Jita (General) » So, I re-subbed

2 Pages « 1 2 Search
29 posts found
  Malcanis

Apprentice Member

"A very special kind of stupidity"

2/12/13 2:59:01 AM#21
Originally posted by atticusbc
the thing about eve is that people all the time, when someone asks wtd, say "what do you want to do?" the problem i think the op is running into, and is one which i ran into and caused me to drop my sub, is that there's no good entry point on the thing you want to do. you literally have to dive into the deep end, headfirst, and hope that you learn things faster than you get fed up. so "just do it"? no. newbie soloers can't "just do it." there's just too many things in the way (losses, steep learning curve forbids learning at a pace that makes every loss enough of a learning experience, difficulty recouping losses, no manageable area to learn in, etc.) even rl isn't this tough.

Well not quite; once you've decided what to do, it's much easier to give you advice. If you want to build ships then you need very different advice than if you want to be an explorer.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Bladestrom

Elite Member

2/12/13 3:14:38 AM#22
The advice is invariably the same, don't fly what you cannot afford lose. Which is fine but ad a new player it is just no fun getting destroyed over and over because someone has 2 accounts or a 10% advantage because buying t2 is trivial. Eve is a brilliant game but the lack of protection or a fair battlefield for new players is a barrier for new players.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO

hfztt

Elite Member

2/12/13 3:25:49 AM#23
Originally posted by atticusbc
the thing about eve is that people all the time, when someone asks wtd, say "what do you want to do?" the problem i think the op is running into, and is one which i ran into and caused me to drop my sub, is that there's no good entry point on the thing you want to do. you literally have to dive into the deep end, headfirst, and hope that you learn things faster than you get fed up. so "just do it"? no. newbie soloers can't "just do it." there's just too many things in the way (losses, steep learning curve forbids learning at a pace that makes every loss enough of a learning experience, difficulty recouping losses, no manageable area to learn in, etc.) even rl isn't this tough.

Let me guess, you are one of those people who wants a guide be course you want to "do it right" the first time. The "game" in eve is very much the trail and error part of learning. Once you master something, its gets boring and old pretty fast. The learning on the other hand is where the experience is. So if you cant handle the try-and-fail part, you did a good choice by not playing eve.

Eve is pretty forgiving, actually, (you are wrong saying its not) as long as you follow the first rule of eve: Never undock in something you cannot afford to loose. What I see happen a lot though is people taking advice from people who says "oh, you have to have this fit to do this right" and then peolpe follow that advice and fly in something they really cannot afford to loose. Never forget rule number one, even when listening to "good" advice.

hfztt

Elite Member

2/12/13 3:28:36 AM#24
Originally posted by Bladestrom
The advice is invariably the same, don't fly what you cannot afford lose. Which is fine but ad a new player it is just no fun getting destroyed over and over because someone has 2 accounts or a 10% advantage because buying t2 is trivial. Eve is a brilliant game but the lack of protection or a fair battlefield for new players is a barrier for new players.

Yup eve is unfair. Bring friends and that oldtimers two accounts or T2 gear wont save him. Exploit the unfairness, dont let yourself be killed by it...

Bladestrom

Elite Member

2/12/13 3:31:06 AM#25
True, there is no fair combat, gank or be ganked, blob or be blobbed etc etc.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW (1000 hrs on main mage)> oblivion > LOTR (480 Hunter) > Rift (230 hours mage) > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(900 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO

ZoeMcCloskey

Advanced Member

INTJ, fun is fun except when it's not

2/12/13 3:38:39 AM#26

I re-subbed also but I haven't done anything other than walk around in station, set my training and enjoy the ambience.

May get back to working on faction with npc mining corp and setting up another alt with a full set of research agents.

VassagoMael

Hard Core Member

2/12/13 3:38:57 AM#27
You only get ganked or blobbed if you are where you shouldn't be with the fleet you are in.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

VassagoMael

Hard Core Member

2/12/13 3:41:27 AM#28
OMG we were gatecamping in *INSERT ALLIANCE*'s space killing unlucky industrials that happened to jump into us and they BLOBBED US T.T

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
Subscription = Actual content updates!

shingoukieh

Apprentice Member

2/12/13 3:02:03 PM#29
Originally posted by Bladestrom

huh...u can be a 1 month player, a 1 year, or a 10 year it doesnt matter. the solid facts is numbers > sp. this isnt wow where u gonna be having a BG like 10 v10..usually its gonna be 15 vs 10 or 20 v 30 or 200 v 400.  u can expect it to be even 15 vs 2 in some cases. Eve is just a big gang war. and t2 guns are easy to get just train up small turret for example to 5. that only takes about 1-2 weeks. now u are roughly on par as far as turret damage goes....so in 1 -2 weeks for t2 a noob is that impatient? thats faster than most mmorpg not counting GW2.

2 Pages « 1 2 Search